[D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

In the Forest (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:17 pm

The eyes Relgar sees belong to a constrictor snake that has made the dark knothole its resting place. The snake slithers out and tries to bite Relgar's arm. The snake gets confused by the odd environment of the Tiny Hut and misses the wizard completely.

OOC: 1d20+5=6 :facepalm:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby willpell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Having no particular quarrel with the snake, Relgar would rather not kill it, so he reviews the array of geometric shapes which he's keeping firmly visualized in the back of his mind; each represents a spell which he's taken the time to fully conceptualize. Alas, the dizzying hexagonal array which represents the Web spell is not currently constructed, nor does he have anything else among the sixteen remaining options which would immobilize the serpent or otherwise put it out of commission. He debates actualizing his Mage Armor, but given that the snake is probably not bright enough to realize that it can exit the Tiny Hut under its own power, he suspects it would continue attacking him even if he proved to be an unappetizing meal; it would be better to put the thing out of comission as quickly as possible. Given the rain, a Flaming Sphere doesn't pose too much threat to the forest, and would likely perform suboptimally anywhere outside the Hut, so it seems the proper choice.

From the "shelf" of his compartmentalized brain, Relgar takes down the tightly coiled, volatile-looking fractal representing the Evocation he's settled upon, quickly mentally retraces the various steps of the calculation and energy-gathering phases of the casting, and sees the complex Platonic object "light up", waxing rapidly toward reality as his concentration shifts back toward the outside world. Within the space of about four real-world seconds, the thoughtform manifests itself into the world of force and matter, where it will hopefully make an immediate tangible impact upon the Ophidian; that creature ought to have firmly hard-coded instincts concerning such a natural phenomenon as fire (whereas a Magic Missile might have left it confused and more nearly berserk from the pain), so as Relgar sets the blazing orb rolling toward the animal, he hopes that it will depart the scene in a hurry, and thus not force him to execute it for no reason. (This would squander the rather potent spell's remaining duration, but so it goes. His use for pyrotechnics on the rest of this mission should hopefully be minimal anyway, although it hurts to have expended two of his seven mightiest spells in less than a minute of exposure to the natural world's vagaries.)

OOC: If you know of any rules system concerning morale checks or the like, please take the damage that the snake takes from the rolling fireball into account when deciding whether it continues fighting.
willpell
White Dragon

Relgar vs. the Snake

Postby Knightfall » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:20 am

willpell wrote:<snip> Given the rain, a Flaming Sphere doesn't pose too much threat to the forest, and would likely perform suboptimally anywhere outside the Hut, so it seems the proper choice.

From the "shelf" of his compartmentalized brain, Relgar takes down the tightly coiled, volatile-looking fractal representing the Evocation he's settled upon, quickly mentally retraces the various steps of the calculation and energy-gathering phases of the casting, and sees the complex Platonic object "light up", waxing rapidly toward reality as his concentration shifts back toward the outside world. Within the space of about four real-world seconds, the thought form manifests itself into the world of force and matter, where it will hopefully make an immediate tangible impact upon the Ophidian; <snip>

The sphere of fire rolls towards the snake and hits it before it can slitter out of the way. Instead of frightening it away, the fire enrages it to come at the wizard again. While its scales burn, it bites and tries to coil itself around Relgar. Maybe from the pain of the flames, the beast misjudges its strike once again. Relgar's luck holds out as he redirects the Flaming Sphere at the snake again. The second rolling strike is twice as hot as the first, and the snake sizzles. It is nearly roasted alive. It slithers away from the fire and Relgar trying to find an escape. Eventually it finds the Tiny Hut's door and retreats into the night.

OOC: Snake's Reflex save >> 1d20+6=13 (failed); Spell's damage >> 2d6=5; Snake's next bite (w/Improved Grab) >> 1d20+5=8 (miss); 2nd Reflex save >> 1d20+6=15 (failed); 2nd damage roll >> 2d6=10

willpell wrote:OOC: If you know of any rules system concerning morale checks or the like, please take the damage that the snake takes from the rolling fireball into account when deciding whether it continues fighting.

OOC: There isn't a true morale system in 3rd Edition; it is left up to the DM if a creature bolts from a fight.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Re: Rising Swords hideout

Postby dfryer36 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Knightfall wrote:
"I can't believe this is down under the city. Either the Regulars have no idea this is here, or I am not as high-up the chain-of-command as I thought," The captain muses.

"My sources had no idea that this was here either," Terger says. "Unless they have been keeping secrets from me as well. And I would not doubt that to be the case."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Main Building of the Rising Swords Hideout

Postby Knightfall » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:15 pm

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"I can't believe this is down under the city. Either the Regulars have no idea this is here, or I am not as high-up the chain-of-command as I thought," The captain muses.

"My sources had no idea that this was here either," Terger says. "Unless they have been keeping secrets from me as well. And I would not doubt that to be the case."

"You'd be surprised what exists in in hidden recesses of your Undercity," the prisoner replies. "Of course, learning such knowledge from the Quartermaster won't be free."

Captain Patenaude looks at the prisoner scornfully before saying, "We shall see. Take us to your Quartermaster."

The prisoner leads the way through the door and into the hall beyond. It goes another 25 feet before ending in another T-intersection with another lit torch on the wall. The prisoner takes them to the right, which goes another 25 feet before ending in a short "T" with two wooden doors set 5 feet back from the corridor. This time, he turns left, opens the door, and takes them down another 30-foot corridor that that then shift to thr left, again, for 10 feet before continuing on for another 35 feet before ending at a iron door. The corridor is lit by torches and just before reaching the door, you are flanked on both sides of the corridor by 5-foot wall curtains. As the prisoner opens the door, Terger clearly hears something or someone behind each of the curtains.

"Guards," the prisoner says once he notices Terger tense at the sound.

"What's that smell?" Pekko asks in a whisper. Something growls from behind the right curtain.

"Shh! Don't insult them. Gnolls aren't know for their sense of humor!"

"Gnolls," the captain grits his teeth. "Your company hires gnolls?"

"And other races you'd find distasteful," the prisoners replies. He beckons them through the door with a grin.

10 feet beyond the door is a short 10-foot corridor to the right ending in a wooden door. The prisoner continues on down past it for another 30 feet where it turns to the left and empties into a short 10-foot by 30-foot hall that is perpendicular to the corridor. At one end is large statue in front of a wooden door, flanked by two pillars, set 5 feet back from the corridor. At the other end is a set of wooden double doors that stand open. On the floor are two fine floor rugs and the walls on either side of the hall have a wall sconce with a lit torch and a pillar set apart from each other. Directly in front of the group is another wall curtain and that same smell of gnoll.

"Though these doors," the prisoner remarks dryly. "Try not to be rude."

The prisoner leads Terger and the others through the doors and into a large room. that stretches out 55 feet in front of them and 50 feet left to right. Directly to the left is an old suit of armor that stands in the corner. To the right is a bookshelf. There is a rug on the floor, similar to the ones in the hall and table stands just off to the left ten feet in front of you.

However, it is the four large pillars that stand central in the room that quickly draws eyes away from the area near the room's entry. The pillars are massive and carved with scene of battle. The closest pillar stands just over 10 feet from from the doorway. Another pillar stands 25 feet from it to the right with the third 25 feet ahead of the first pillar. The fourth completes a perfect square. In between all the pillars are 20-foot wide, 5-foot long stairs that lead down to a 20-foot by 20-foot marble floor. There are four crates and three barrels placed haphazardly in the space, although it looks like the area might be used for more than storage.

Beyond the pillars and sunken floor are numerous tables and shelves that are covered in a variety of things. There are tons of books strewn on nearly every flat surface, as well as a few unlit candelabras. The room is lit by two torches set into wall sconces set evenly apart on the far wall. In between them are a few tables, an oak bookshelf next to a fine tapestry, and a massive 15-foot-long desk that stands back 3 feet from the wide stairs in front of it that lead down to the marble floor.

A tough looking man stands behind the desk. He waves them forward as he glances at several documents in front of him. Despite the disorder of the rest of the room, the man's desk is carefully organized.

"I see you've finally found your way," the man says. "It took you long enough. Of course, with Niklas leading the way, I'm surprised you didn't wander into a dragon's den."

The prisoner stops suddenly at the mention of his name.

The man looks at him with disdain, "I will deal with you, later. For now, i must handle this situation you've put me and the rest of the Swords in. Why in the Nine Hells you thought bringing them here was a good idea is beyond all reason."

"He didn't really have a choice," the captain replies bluntly.

The man looks at Captain Patenaude. His gaze is neither troubled nor troubling. "There are always options, but I guess he's not as dedicated to the Rising Swords as we thought."

"Sir, hear them out," Niklas pleads. "It could be profitable."

"For who? For me and the Swords? I doubt it. More likely for you! Now stand there quietly, and pray I don't let Wriek and his gnolls have you!"

Niklas' training makes him stand at attention, silently.

"Good, now for introductions," the man says. He looks, first, at the captain and then Terger and then the others. "I am the Quartermaster of Bluffside for the Rising Swords. I'll let you guess my real identity, if you can. I already know Niklas here and despite your attempt to be clandestine, you sir, are Captain Erwan Patenaude, a well known member of the Bluffside Regulars and a commander of the Elite Guard."

The captain is taken aback by the man's easy knowledge of his identity.

"Did you really think you could come here and not be recognized by someone?" The man laughs. "You are either a fool or very sure of yourself."

"I'm no a rogue, I guess." The captain shrugs.

"Obviously," the Quartermaster replies. He looks at Terger with a grin. "And you, you I also know. Or, at least, I've heard rumors of you. I always though it was just a fiction but here you are. You are Terger Alela and your past is very, very interesting, if half of what I've heard is true."

The man looks at Pekko, "Your name I don't know, but you are obviously a cleric of some sort of sea god, from what I've heard and what I see and smell."

"I am Pekko Lempoinen, Servant of Ahto."

"Ah, so you're from Kotimi. You're a long way from home, Finlander."

"Over the last few days, I wish I was still there."

"Ha! you might get your wish," the Quartermaster replies with a darkly chuckle. "Although I can't assure that you'll go in one piece."

The man looks at Gralf with what might be solemn disdain.

"You, I'm not sure if I want to know. I have heard about a gnome fighting his way through the streets of New City. Rumors of burning minotaurs and a basilisk. You and the cleric here have done a lot in 24 hours. I was hoping to see the elf here too. Disappointing."

"I see you know much more than we were lead to believe," the captain says grimly. He looks at Niklas with a fierceness in his eyes.

"Don't blame him," the man replies. "He has so little knowledge of what is going on around him, I'm surprised he even remembered where this place was. You've been lead here by a babe in the woods, captain. He's trying to save his own skin and is hoping that I'll help him. I will not."

"But I was betrayed by the others," Niklas insists.

"You really believe that," the man shakes his head is disbelief. "They fooled you, you stupid lout! No one betrayed you! You've betrayed us!"

"B-but, that cannot b-" Niklas looks at Terger. "Y-you lied to me!"

"Of course he did. It's his job to lie. Hells, it was likely in his blood from birth." He looks at Terger with some admiration. "I'd win a lot of favor amongst the swords if I could bring a spy like you over to our side, but I doubt very much that you'd take the offer. Still, I could always use another good infiltrator, and it might be worth the Swords time for me break you." He smiles at Terger like he's the cat who swallowed the canary.

He turns to the captain, "Now give a very good reason why I shouldn't just have you killed."

"This is Mr. Terger's call," the captain says. "If I'd had my way, I'd have already drawn my sword."

"Really?" He looks at Terger with a raised eyebrow. "Alright Alela, give me a good reason not to tell your companions here everything I've heard about you."
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby dfryer36 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:46 pm

"If you know even half of what you claim to know then you already have the answer to your question," Terger tells the quartermaster. "Based on what you know can you honestly say that I don't already have eyes and ears inside your operation?"

OOC: Intimidation 1d20+3=21

Turning to Niklas Terger continues; "I did not lie to you. Everything I told you is true. My only concern is ending the violence in the streets and if we can do it in a mutually beneficial manner that is the most preferable option. I am authorized to negotiate on behalf of The Five in this matter. If, as you say, you know who I am and my reputation then you know that The Five have plenty of work that would be suitable for men of your skills."

OOC: Diplomacy 1d20+3=13

Terger pulls a pouch from his waist. He tosses it toward the quartermaster. "There are five thousand gold crowns worth of gems in that pouch," he says. "Consider it a good faith down payment to make negotiations go smoother."
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Main Building of the Rising Swords Hideout (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:21 am

dfryer36 wrote:"If you know even half of what you claim to know then you already have the answer to your question," Terger tells the quartermaster. "Based on what you know can you honestly say that I don't already have eyes and ears inside your operation?"

Terger can see that his words have swayed the man, for now. There is still a menace in the man's gaze. Terger can see that the Quartermaster is considering all his options. He fingers the axe at his side and glares at Niklas one last time before sliding his other hand along the edge of his desk. A large mechanical click echoes through the room and he sits down in his chair with a disgruntled sigh.

"While I doubt you truly have someone amongst the Swords, it isn't a risk I'm willing to take. Today." He lets out a soft whistle and seven rouges, three women and four men, step out though six hidden doorways set into the wall.

"Leave us," the Quatermaster orders. "Make sure we're not disturbed by the captain's guards currently heading into the complex."

Captain Patenaude curses, as the seven Swords head out the double doors. Two stand guard just outside with the doors still open.

"That's right, captain. I know they're coming in despite what you may have told Alela and these others. Be glad that I'm only ordering my people to hold them back and not go for their throats."

"You said they wouldn't come in without your signal?" Pekko says accusingly.

"I have a duty to perform," the captain replies. "And it does not include coming in here without the force of the Bluffside Elite behind me."

"It seems there is no honor amongst the Regulars." The Quartermaster lets out a dry chuckle.

"Don't talk to me about honor, you butcher. The Rising Swords are a stain on the world that needs to be put down like the ravenous dogs they are."

"Captain!" Pekko admonishes. "Let Terger handle this; he's gotten us this far."

Turning to Niklas Terger continues; "I did not lie to you. Everything I told you is true. My only concern is ending the violence in the streets and if we can do it in a mutually beneficial manner that is the most preferable option.
"I'm n-not sure what to believe," Niklas replies. "If you keep your words, I-I will keep mine."

"Now you will," the Quatermaster mocks. "Watch your back with this one, Alela. He's a betrayer, after all."

I am authorized to negotiate on behalf of The Five in this matter. If, as you say, you know who I am and my reputation then you know that The Five have plenty of work that would be suitable for men of your skills."

Terger pulls a pouch from his waist. He tosses it toward the quartermaster. "There are five thousand gold crowns worth of gems in that pouch," he says. "Consider it a good faith down payment to make negotiations go smoother."

"So you're willing to negotiate the lifting of the ban on the Rising swords in Bluffside? That's a bold step. You better be right or your superiors will have your neck." The Quartermaster eases across his desk and takes up the coins in his hands. He tests the weight of the bag before setting it down next to him without opening it. "All right Alela, you have my attention. I already know what you're after. The location of Felix Yoxall, former employee of one Lord Rande Mateû. He payed me a tidy sum much like this one to have my men storm into that post of Regulars and snatch up both a wizard and a cleric. Neither were there when the Swords arrived, but they took an orc body, a known minion of Yoxall. From what I understand, the wizard named Abd Allah Zaman is recovering under the watchful gaze of the Elite. I wonder if he is really safe with them?"

"You bastard," the captain says through gritted teeth. "I'm going to see you hanged, I swear it!"

"Ah, but Alela has you chained, captain. I can see it in your eyes. You know if you go against him and your wrong, it could cost you much more than just your position in Elite. And you want Yoxall as much as these others, so you will stand there and be quiet or I will call back my men and we will settle this with blades!"

The captain takes a step back, his head down in frustration.

The Quartermaster turns back to Terger. "I also know that you've learned that Felix was helped by a local merchant, a man named Kinkar Kinley. The owner of an adventurer's shop in New City. It was Kinkar who brokered the deal between the Rising Swords and Yoxall's lackeys."

"The Loyalists we fought," Pekko says looking at Gralf.

"Yes, those loyal Del Cannitha dogs who were hardly a match against you, the gnome, and the others who'd been helping you along the way. I call them Del Cannitha dog because they are mere pups compared to the Swords, and yet, they are fanatically loyal to Felix Yoxall. Of course, that's not his real name. Do you know it yet, Alela? Hmm, I don't think you do. How interesting. He is Phelix Del Cannitha, formerly of Sharn. He's a pariah amongst his own family."

"Where is he?" Pekko asks. "And Kinkar?"

"Oh, Phelix is likely somewhere in Bluffside still, but I want more of an assurance from Alela before I say more about his whereabouts," the man says to Pekko. "As for the merchant, the last I heard he was somewhere in the Wizard District brokering a deal to get him out of Bluffside. I'm not sure what he offered the wizards, but since he's quite the rascal, I'm sure he's got a lot of coin and magic stashed somewhere in the city."

The Quartermaster turns to Terger, "As for Phelix. I will tell you everything you want to know about that bastard once you given your word that you will petition The Five to lift the ban on the Rising Swords in Bluffside. I know there is no way you can promise me that the ban will be lifted, but I want you to try to convince your superiors. At the very least, it will get you into trouble, which I will enjoy hearing about. Also, I want more coin for the Swords coffers. Another 20,000 gold should be a good start. What do you say, Alela?"

"Do not promise him anything," the captain whispers to Terger. "You are risking too much."
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby dfryer36 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:21 pm

"I will submit your request to those who will see that The Five give it the proper consideration. I will also promise you ten thousand for your coffers and this..." Terger reaches into his jacket and pulls out a parchment. "There is a noble in a neighboring region that The Five would like to see moved out of the way so his nephew can take his place. The promised payment is fifteen thousand. The contract is yours if you want it."
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby dfryer36 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:17 pm

"One more thing," Terger says. "The Blades have committed crimes against this city in the past. If The Five were to consider your petition they would expect that individuals would be punished for those crimes to give the citizens a sense of reassurance. Of course I would not expect you to offer up anyone important but I'm sure we can agree that those who might have lost the trust of your organization would be no loss to you and would allow the citizens to feel more secure with any relation The Five might establish with The Blades. It could even be arraigned that the story got around that they were rogue members who operated without your sanction if you wish."
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby willpell » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:53 pm

With the snake dispatched, Relgar turns back to the knothole.
willpell
White Dragon

Main Building of the Rising Swords Hideout (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 pm

dfryer36 wrote:"I will submit your request to those who will see that The Five give it the proper consideration. I will also promise you ten thousand for your coffers and this..." Terger reaches into his jacket and pulls out a parchment. "There is a noble in a neighboring region that The Five would like to see moved out of the way so his nephew can take his place. The promised payment is fifteen thousand. The contract is yours if you want it."

"It sounds like we have an accord," the Quartermaster replies. He takes the contract fom Terger. "I've heard about that situation. The Old Man of Tarminan will be encouraged to give up his throne, one way or another."

"Let me see that contract," Captain Patenaude demands.

"Still unwilling to admit your place, captain, "the Quartermaster says annoyed. "Fine. If you wish to see how your city really works, take a look. It's naive for you to think The Five wouldn't be capable of molding the destiny of its rivals."

The captain looks over the document and then hands it back to the Quartermaster. "I will be taking my leave," the captain says to no one in particular. "This is not part of my duties to the city and its citizens." He looks at the Quartermaster, "I assume you'll allow me and my men safe passage out here. I promise I will order them to leave."

"I will allow you to leave," the man replies. "And I advise you to not come back here, captain."

"That I will not promise you." The captain look at Terger with menace in his eyes. "Mr. Terger, our association is at an end. Be glad you have the protection of The Five or you'd be tasting my steel right now." He turns to Gralf and Pekko. "Mr. Gralf. Mr. Pekko. While I wish I could convince you to abandon this man's company, I doubt I could convince you. Good luck with your hunt for Phelix. I will find him in my own way. The honorable way."

"I'm coming with you," Pekko replies. "I did not sign up for making deals with evil men who sell their souls for coin. I can't speak for Gralf, but I'm done." He looks at the gnome fighter. "I'm sorry. Give my apologies to Rande."

"I'm glad to hear it," the captain says. He doesn't wait for Gralf to say anything as he heads out the door. Pekko follows him out without looking back.

dfryer36 wrote:"One more thing," Terger says. "The Blades have committed crimes against this city in the past. If The Five were to consider your petition they would expect that individuals would be punished for those crimes to give the citizens a sense of reassurance. Of course I would not expect you to offer up anyone important but I'm sure we can agree that those who might have lost the trust of your organization would be no loss to you and would allow the citizens to feel more secure with any relation The Five might establish with The Blades. It could even be arraigned that the story got around that they were rogue members who operated without your sanction if you wish."

"There are a few ex-members that have betrayed the Swords. I know where a few of them are hiding and have leads on the others. They are wanted here in Bluffside, and you'd be doing us a favor. As for giving up current members, I cannot, will not, promise that. That decision would have to come down from the High Commanders. They might be willing to convince a few members to surrender for prosecution, if you can guarantee that none of them will be executed.

"I am willing to say that the Swords who attacked the post did so without my permission. They did fail, after all. I did not give them permission to fail." The Quatermaster looks at Niklas. "You can have him too. I know you've promised him your protection, but it might be best to just bury him somewhere."

"Terger gave me his word," Niklas says. "I doubt he'll break it, despite your desire to kill me." Niklas looks at Terger. "I give you my word that if you honor our agreement, I will tell no one the truth about the attack. I swear on my Oath a member of the Rising Swords."

"Former member," the Quatermaster corrects.

"That's fine with me," Niklas barks. "I still claim the Oath, even if it means nothing to you."

"So you still have a spine, eh? Good for you. You're going to need it once you're out of Bluffside," The Quartermaster replies calmly. He looks at Terger, "All right, Alela, this contract is more than enough for me to give up what I know about Phelix and his lackeys. He has a hidden enclave in the Old City. Now, I've never been there myself, but I'm sure it is under the district near the entrance to the Gardens. My people have tracked many of his Loyalists there; we've never been able to find the entrance, which means it's likely hidden by magic. I considered calling in one of our specialists to find it, but Phelix's gold was good enough to keep me from being overtly curious. We have determined that the entrance is likely attached to a building next to an old manor house. The house is currently vacant, but there were no signs of them inside. My best minions have seen light in the other building. Light that should not be there and that appeared strange. One of my men called the light eerie. It was at that point I called the search for the entrance."

The Quartermaster gets a map of the city from a shelf behind him and puts it down in front of Terger. "Here," he says. "This is the building. This other one is the manor house. I'm sure you can find it on your own, but if you're going in there, I suggest you find more help. You'll need a wizard, I think. And you should find another cleric, and, no, I won't provide you a Swords mercenary. We might have an accord, but I want something in writing from The Five, signed by all of them before allowing you the right to hire our people. If you get me that, I'll give you and The Five a discount on future contracts. My superiors would have my head if I agreed to anything else without a written agreement."

The Quartermaster rolls up the map and places it back on the shelf. "Now, I think you should leave before I come to my senses and reactivate the traps in this room. Bring me that agreement, and we'll talk more."

He sits down in his chair and begins going through a pile of documents. The two guards at the door enter and firmly tell Gralf and Pekko to "come with us."

OOC: The captain reached his breaking point. Diplomacy won't work here. Terger could try to sway him with Diplomacy at a later date, but it won't work here. He's very, very angry. Also, this seemed like a good place to finally pull Pekko out of the group, as I'd planned (and promised hihama). The cleric of Ahto will return to his small temple in Sordadon. After he's spoken to his allies there, he'll likely leave the city for his homeland.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Underground passage...

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:56 am

willpell wrote:With the snake dispatched, Relgar turns back to the knothole.

The knothole leads down into a small chamber with a passage that winds away into the darkness. Relgar is surprised, at first, to find three large eggs tucked into one corner of the chamber. That was why the snake was so aggressive.

The map's instructions are clear enough, and Relgar finds his way down the chamber to a solid unlocked door, which leads into an old, half-empty cistern. A short walkway leads to another door with a padlock that hangs open. The 'man with no name' hadn't drawn that on the map. or the mentioned a carved corridor covered with old runes. Relgar can tell that the runes aren't an active magical trap but simply a reminder of an older time -- likely 100 years or so. They look, Dwarven, maybe.

He finds an unlit torch in a rusted out sconce. It is simple enough to light it, as it is soaked in oil. The carved passage stretches out in front of him, and the need to complete his mission, eventually, drives him on. The passage heads straight towards New City, and Relgar finds the trip easy, almost too easy. There aren't any obvious side passages, and he soon comes to another door, which has been left open. Beyond it is a small room filled with barrels, crates, and assorted gear that warriors and rogues use.

There is also a dead body on the floor; the body of a Bluffside Regular. The man had definitely not mentioned a dead guard. The guard lays next to a ladder that leads up to a trapdoor. He almost misses the sight of a massive rat in the corner, as big as a dog. It's eyes shine in the light of the torch.

OOC: If you want Relgar to study the runes, you can. However, they are not related to his mission and not magical in any way.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby willpell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Wishing the mother snake well in finding her way back to the nest, Relgar leaves the eggs alone and proceeds. He notes the runes with mild interest, debating coming back here later (with a better spell prepared for bypassing the snake) to give them more of a look - rune magic isn't his specialty, and he has no great fondness for dwarves in general, but he's spoken with a couple dabblers in the stonefolk's runic practices, and there are parallels with his art - both being highly formalized and formulaic versions of spellcraft - which make it of possible interest. Likely these runes are merely historical and not magical, but it couldn't hurt to take a look at some point, when not otherwise occupied.

Scowling at the corpse and nervously regarding the dire rat, Relgar listens intently for signs of activity above prior to trying the ladder. He has no intention of letting the guards find him near one of their deceased and jump to conclusions.
willpell
White Dragon

Relgar in Kinlay's Outfitters

Postby Knightfall » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:05 am

willpell wrote:Wishing the mother snake well in finding her way back to the nest, Relgar leaves the eggs alone and proceeds. He notes the runes with mild interest, debating coming back here later (with a better spell prepared for bypassing the snake) to give them more of a look - rune magic isn't his specialty, and he has no great fondness for dwarves in general, but he's spoken with a couple dabblers in the stonefolk's runic practices, and there are parallels with his art - both being highly formalized and formulaic versions of spellcraft - which make it of possible interest. Likely these runes are merely historical and not magical, but it couldn't hurt to take a look at some point, when not otherwise occupied.

Scowling at the corpse and nervously regarding the dire rat, Relgar listens intently for signs of activity above prior to trying the ladder. He has no intention of letting the guards find him near one of their deceased and jump to conclusions.

While regarding the dire rat, he quickly discovers it is dead despite its fearsome looking appearance with teeth bared and back raised. Someone has done an excellent job of stuffing and mounting the vermin, although down here, dirt and grim has gotten on it, which helped with the mundane illusion.

Listening, Relgar doesn't hear anything except his own hear beating. The cellar is silent and so is the shop beyond the trapdoor. It is only when he climbs the ladder does noise he makes become evident to him and anyone else who is listening.

Relgar finds the trapdoor open and quite easy to lift. The light from his torch quickly fills the room around him. He hadn't thought to douse it before preceding. However, it seems the shop is not only closed but empty. Well, empty of people. The shop is a mass of gear, almost all of it looks mundane. There is little order to the place and the chaos annoys, no more like hurts Relgar's ordered mind right behind his nose.

Relgar remembers that the Nameless Man, this disordered Kinkar, told him to look for a strongbox that can be opened with the key the man gave Relgar. Kinkar mentioned protection wards on other strongboxes, so Relgar is careful to find the box with the dragon's head. Inside will be some vials and other 'magical trinkets' as Kinkar had put it.

Relgar hesitates. The man hadn't mentioned the dead body in the cellar. What else hadn't he forgot to mention? Or purposely left out?

His curiosity seeks to make him rush in heedless of the danger, yet his hand hovers with the key inches from the lock. And there are the three other strongboxes, which sit apart, lined along the back wall of the room. What's in them? What else is this Kinkar Kinlay hiding?

OOC: I just remembered that the manacles that you wanted to try to hide were meant to be in the strongbox. Kinkar gave you the map and the key to the strongbox not the manacles. However, we've already written it into the story, so we'll just go with it. I left it at this point because I want to give you the option to try to determine the wards and/or study the other strongboxes. If not, Relgar will just open the one strongbox and I'll post what's inside it.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby willpell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 pm

There is nothing to be done at this late stage, so Relgar banishes any doubts remaining in his mind and opens the dragon's-head box.
willpell
White Dragon

Relgar in Kinlay's Outfitters (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:46 pm

willpell wrote:There is nothing to be done at this late stage, so Relgar banishes any doubts remaining in his mind and opens the dragon's-head box.

The lid opens silently. Unlike the shop, the box is organized and clean. On the top are several bundles of bound papers including letters, invoices, and ledgers of goods. There is a leather bound book filled with recipies and other aspects of mundane cooking. These papers are on a wooden tray that is easily pulled up to reveal another layer of possessions below.

There are nonmagical trinkets of all kinds. Most look to be family heirlooms with no or little value. Baubles and other bric a brac. There is a fine wooden horse the size of Relgar's fist that could be worth something. It's puzzling why he was told to rummage through this box until he comes across a fine key in a wooden box. The key's shape looks like it could fit the manacles that Relgar was given. He tries the key in it and it fits. The Nameless Man likely had to leave without the key. Relgar tried to remember if the man had mentioned the key. He did remember that the man had told him there would be a few potions and magical trinkets in the box.

Digging deeper into the strongbox, Relgar eventually comes across a hole in the wood just large enough for his pinky finger. A secret compartment of some sort. It was almost too easy to find. A savvy rogue would have found in half the time that Relgar took. He is forced to empty half the strongbox in order to get it open. The compartment is small with three potion vials and an old ring in it. There is also a worn book that looks like it could be a diary. The potions are marked with arcane sigils for ease of use. There is a Hide from Animals potion, a Pass without Trace potion, and a Reduce Person potion.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby willpell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:34 pm

Relgar takes the potions, the key, and the book, and examines the ring to try and determine what it is. He restores the other items to their place in the box (unless any of the papers looks important), relocking it afterward.
willpell
White Dragon

Relgar arrives in New City

Postby Knightfall » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 am

willpell wrote:Relgar takes the potions, the key, and the book, and examines the ring to try and determine what it is. He restores the other items to their place in the box (unless any of the papers looks important), relocking it afterward.

Leafing through the papers, Relgar doesn't find anything very interesting. After taking the items and closing the strongbox, he check for the easiest and safest exit from the shop. The front has been locked and barred from the outside but the back door to the shop has been left unlocked. Relgar notes on the door that there is a message scrawled in blood that has dried.

Phelix was here.

It seems an obvious clue. Phelix likely is another spelling for the renagade's name. This Felix Yoxall. Did he kill the guard down below or did the Nameless Man who gave Relgar the manacles? And where is Felix now?

Shaking his head, there isn't anything for Relgar to do but get out of the shop before someone catches him inside. The door opens easily and Relgar slips out into the night. The district of New City is deathly quiet. He sees no one on the streets. Of course, Illithor had mentioned something about Martial Law being declared in the city. In the distance he hears the sound of boots clomping. Guards on patrol most likely. A dark alleyway seems to beckon for Relgar to hide within it.

The patrol will be near him soon.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby willpell » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:36 pm

The alley makes for a convenient refuge, but not especially useful in the long term, if a determined search is being conducted. What he needs is a distraction, so he begins intoning the words of a spell, as quietly as he can without botching its effectiveness, turning his body toward the sound of approaching boots and speaking toward his chest in an attempt to muffle the sound. Provided the spell unfolds properly, it creates a conjuration gate, through which a bright-eyed and gold-feathered eagle-owl emerges, called from the twilight wilderness of glorious Elysium, and compelled to obey Relgar's mental commands for around 30 seconds. (He finds this spell invariably worthy of daily preparation, because it is one of the few arcana which does not require its full specifications arranged in advance; he need only mentally design the portal itself, not choose its endpoints or the entity to be pulled through it, until the actual moment of casting, making it one of the most flexible solutions available to him.)

Taking a quick moment to tie a blank bit of paper to the owl's leg, he looses it with instructions to fly in exactly the opposite direction from himself, as though carrying a message back to its master, prior to taking the better part of valor. With luck, the guards will spot the exceedingly obvious celestial creature (whose camoflauge abilities would probably suffice for its bailiwick of nocturnal predation, if it were still on a plane whose emerald leaves gleam with internal health, as brightly as the bird's own orichalcum plumage and fire-opal irises), pursue it well away from the hiding and fleeing wizard, and then make ignorant assumptions when it vanishes, continuing the search for it on the assumption that it became invisible or teleported a short distance, rather than actually vanishing back to the parallel dimension to which it belongs. If they are experienced in dealing with wizards, they will likely see through this ruse, but hopefully the odds of this are poor enough to justify a ten-second delay before he starts beating feet.
willpell
White Dragon

Relgar's Bird Gambit

Postby Knightfall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:55 am

willpell wrote:The alley makes for a convenient refuge, but not especially useful in the long term, if a determined search is being conducted. What he needs is a distraction, so he begins intoning the words of a spell, as quietly as he can without botching its effectiveness, turning his body toward the sound of approaching boots and speaking toward his chest in an attempt to muffle the sound. Provided the spell unfolds properly, it creates a conjuration gate, through which a bright-eyed and gold-feathered eagle-owl emerges, called from the twilight wilderness of glorious Elysium, and compelled to obey Relgar's mental commands for around 30 seconds. (He finds this spell invariably worthy of daily preparation, because it is one of the few arcana which does not require its full specifications arranged in advance; he need only mentally design the portal itself, not choose its endpoints or the entity to be pulled through it, until the actual moment of casting, making it one of the most flexible solutions available to him.)

Taking a quick moment to tie a blank bit of paper to the owl's leg, he looses it with instructions to fly in exactly the opposite direction from himself, as though carrying a message back to its master, prior to taking the better part of valor. With luck, the guards will spot the exceedingly obvious celestial creature (whose camoflauge abilities would probably suffice for its bailiwick of nocturnal predation, if it were still on a plane whose emerald leaves gleam with internal health, as brightly as the bird's own orichalcum plumage and fire-opal irises), pursue it well away from the hiding and fleeing wizard, and then make ignorant assumptions when it vanishes, continuing the search for it on the assumption that it became invisible or teleported a short distance, rather than actually vanishing back to the parallel dimension to which it belongs. If they are experienced in dealing with wizards, they will likely see through this ruse, but hopefully the odds of this are poor enough to justify a ten-second delay before he starts beating feet.

The guards easily spot the celestial creature. It's bright plummage stand out in the dark night and two of the guards chase after it with their pikes.

However, the remainder of the patrol, eight in total, are keen to find out where the bird had come from and who conjurered it (being on high alert for a renegade arcanist). With the district being under martial law, they are highly alerted to any strange events. All of them, but one, quickly pass him in the dark with pikes shouldered, as he tries to silently move down the street in the shadows.

The last man, obviously their commander, is more careful. He scans the entire street with his sword in hand. His eyes pass over Relgar's position without noticing, at first, and the Relgar hopes he might be able to sneak away. Then the commander's head snaps back to Relgar's position. He blows a whistle loudly causing the other guards to turn around, weapons at the ready.

"You there," the commander orders. "There is a curfew in effect for New City! You are in violation of the city's martial law edict! Surrender yourself immediately!"

The other guards rush back with pikes leveled at Relgar. They move to surround him.

OOC: Relgar's Hide check > 1d20+2=12 vs. Bluffside guard commander's Spot check > 1d20+5=19 | I figured I should give Relgar at least a chance to hide from the guards.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

A Meeting of Heroes

Postby Knightfall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 am

Old City. The Palace of Bluffside.
Relgar Aspergim sat at a long table which stood in the center of an assembly hall in the ornate Palace of Bluffside. The wizard had never been in this building before and he was not enjoying himself at all. Two guards stood on either side of him and his thumbs were peace bonded together in his lap. They weren't manacles, but Relgar had less to worry about from the tough string entwining his thumbs than the two brutes watching him intently.

There were others in the room. Relgar had only met one of them before. Lord Traherne Merrick, a low-level member of the Wizard Council, paced back and forth in front of the table. The man was, for lack of a better word, a fixer for the council. And the situation Relgar found himself in definitely needed fixing. Lord Merrick wasn't known for his patience, however, which made him somewhat unreliable. He was never able to pass above the Seventh Circle, which put him only a few circles above Relgar, if he managed to survive this day and be accepted into the arcane elite of Bluffside.

“Can we please get this started,” Lord Merrick finally says, clearly annoyed.

“There is at least one more to arrive yet,” Minister Gale intones calmly.

“What's keeping him?”

“I cannot say, but I assue you it is very important. The Five appreciate your patience.”

“Don't patronize me, Yelte.”

Yelte Gale was the Minister of Urban Protections. At least, that's how he'd introduced himself to Relgar after the wizard was brought into the Palace for this meeting (trial?). He'd been genuinely polite to Relgar and did not seem put off by Relgar's natural state of mind. In fact, he seemed to find it enjoyable interacting with Relgar. Gale was better than the Bluffside Regulars who'd interrogated him for almost half a day at one of the city's guard posts. They hadn't taken him to the Dungeon of Bluffside. Instead, a stern elf woman in plate had arrived at the post and asked him so many question it had made his head spin. She'd questioned him mainly about Phelix Del Cannitha and about Kinkar Kinley.

“You need to sit down, Traherne. You're going to wear a groove into the floor.”

The council wizard just kept on pacing.

Relgar watched another person he didn't know out of the corner of his eye, dwarf standing near the room's pillars looking at the designs carved into them. The dwarf was stern looking with a neatly-trimmed beard that was more modest than most dwarves. Relgar recognized the symbol on the dwarf man's shield – a set of interconnected gears. It was the symbol of Hlarin the Builder. Was this cleric going to be his executioner? No, the dwarf looked like most adventurers of his race just before they headed out to some dungeon.

That thought stayed in his mind for several moments.

Neither Lord Merrick nor Minister Gale had told him why he was here in this place waiting for another person he likely didn't know. What kept Relgar's attention were his possessions placed carefully on the table in front of him. Everything was there in plain sight, including both the manacles and the magical tome. So far, Lord Merrick hadn't even glanced at the large book. If he did and saw the book for what it was, Relgar would be in serious trouble. Relgar could sense the book trying to put him at ease. It would have been unerving for anyone else. It wasn't speaking to him; it was more subtle.

Nearly an hour passed before the man named Terger Alela entered the room.
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:19 am

OOC: That's all from me tonight.
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
Green Dragon

Interlude

Postby dfryer36 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Terger walked from his meeting to Minister Gale's office. He looked around and realized he was the first to arrive. "Minister," he said, "I would like to request a few hours to take care of some personal business in the city." The minister glared at him before finally saying "You have two hours. It will take that long to assemble the rest of your team. And no funny business; I don't have to remind you that Lady Pomander will have people keeping a special eye on you for awhile."

"Of course." Terger says with a nod and a bow and turns to leave. Two carriage rides later found him outside a luxurious manor house. He looked out of place in the neighborhood but moved with the comfortable grace of someone intimately familiar with it. Even more surprising to anyone watching was that the guards at the gate recognized him and let him enter. As he approached the door the doorman hurriedly opened it and announced him.

"Ah, Master Klaus how good to see you again," the waiting butler said. "I'm afraid your father isn't home right now but if you would like to make an appointment I know he would be glad to see you."

"I'm not here to see my father or Lorelenel," Terger said, slightly surprised at how easily he slipped back into the life of Klaus Simonis. He thought he had left that behind years ago. "And we both know that father hasn't been glad to see me since I was 12 and he dumped me on the deck of a pirate caravel and told me to prove I could make my own way in the world." Bitterness crept into his words. His half-brother Lorelenel had been given everything on a silver platter while as the second son Klaus had been forced to fight and struggle nearly all his life. How he hated and at the same time looked up to that elven half breed bastard. "I'm just here to see my sister."

"Ah, Mistress Annelies is in the sun room; I trust you still know the way?"

"Yes, and thank you Menno," Terger said. "You have always been a good friend."

Terger walked to the sun room where he saw his sister tending to some plants. "If you do all his work for him," he said with a chuckle, "what will the gardener do?" She turned surprised to hear his voice. "Klaus," she shouted as she flung herself around his neck in a great hug. You're back!" Terger hugged the girl back and shrugged. "I can only stay for a few minutes," he confessed. "Uncle Roose has much work for me to do." Annelies feigned a sulk. "When is that old grump going to let you come back to the city? Surely his shipping business would run just as well without you traveling to gods know where all the time."

“Uncle Roose thinks keeping me away from the city is the best way to keep me out of trouble,” Terger said. “Of course that's not always the case but then again you know me.” He smirked as she punched him in the shoulder. That part was at least partially true. Roose Simonis was the lord commander of the Dark Lanterns and Terger had initially changed his name when he joined to avoid the appearance of favoritism. Of course that hadn't stopped his uncle from intervening on his behalf on more than one occasion. “Look Anna I have to leave soon. I really just came by to give you this gift.” He handed her the parcel. She opened it and pulled out a stunning dress. “The fabric is Shelzari silk,” he told her, “and the pattern and colors are the latest rage in Kesh. You're almost 18 and father is going to start looking to marry you off. You might as well look stunning at all the boring parties he's going to throw to introduce you to potential suitors. Also, the necklace is fire opal and silver from the far north. It was crafted by Norn jewelers and supposedly it vibrates and the gem glows red if you are in danger.”

“Thank you Klaus, it's beautiful,” Annelies told him. “Are you sure you can't stay? Father will be back for dinner. It would be like old times.”
“I'm sorry Anna but Uncle Roose has me meeting with spice merchants from the south and fur trappers from the interior,” he said.

“Klaus, we're all worried about you, even father.” Annelies told him. “You haven't been yourself since...”

“Since Kiran died. You can say it.”

“Well you haven't. You're never around and when you are you spend your time with low women in dive taverns. You're house is there waiting for you; father even continues to pay the servants to maintain it. Yet you never stay there when you are in town. We rarely see you anymore and you haven't even visited their tomb since the funeral. I know how hard this must be on you but it's like you died that day too and someone else is living in your skin Klaus.” There was more truth to that then Annelies knew Terger told himself.

“I...I can't go back home,” he admitted. “It was never really mine. Oh I own it but everything in that house is Kiran's. Her furniture, her china, her...her bed. I can't face those ghosts; not yet anyway.” Not until the bastards that killed her and Mari are forced to pay for what they did. “I can't face them because I should have been there with them instead of off negotiating incense shipments with some Shelzari merchant who's name I can't even remember.”

“You would have died too Klaus,” Annelies whispered.

“Maybe,” he shouted before he realized what he was doing. “Or maybe I could have saved them. Either way I wouldn't have to live with this pain,” he added in a calmer voice. “I'm sorry Anna, I have to leave now. Uncle Roose's partners don't like it when I'm late to a meeting. I'll probably be leaving town soon and I don't know when I'll be back. Uncle Roose has some business in Talangran he wants me to oversee and I don't know how long it will take. I'll try and stop by when I get back. Maybe we can all have family dinner together then.” With that he turned and left the room. Once he was safe in the quiet emptiness of the carriage he buried his head in his hand and for the first time in a long time he allowed the tears to flow.
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: A Meeting of Heroes

Postby dfryer36 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Knightfall wrote:Nearly an hour passed before the man named Terger Alela entered the room.

"It appears that either I'm late or the time table I was given was over estimated," Terger says.
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby willpell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Although his treatment from the guards had been distinctly gentler than it could have been, Relgar has been all attitude since they brought him in. His hostility was one part act, two parts extreme display of genuine emotional distress, and three parts strictly philosophical disagreement with the entire concept of 'martial law'. The only laws that are required are the laws of the universe, and they do not require enforcement. Enforcers of any variety are nothing but thugs, regardless of what justifications they give, and Relgar's loathing for them is at once the pacifist's disdain for military solutions, the arcanist's scorn for those who understand only brute force, and a deep disgust at the hypocrisy of those who exempt themselves from the rules they themselves made up. The draftsman-turned-wizard repeatedly informs the soldiers that he does not recognize their authority, promising all manner of reprisals against them for their unmannerly treatment of a personage of his stature, and otherwise basically begs them to make an example of him. And as it becomes increasingly apparent that they will not, he is continually emboldened to escalate, until the tongue-lashing he inflicts upon his escorts is perhaps worse than anything he could have accomplished if his hands were free to cast unimpeded.

The latest arrival to the room catches Relgar's eye, though he finds himself unable to put a name to why. He decides to allow his latest tirade against the exigencies of civil injustice to die away into a mumble, and starts actually paying attention to his surroundings for perhaps the first time since his initial confrontation with the guard captain.
willpell
White Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe