[D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: Old City: Outside the Rooftop Inn (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:21 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Elkgrar walks solemnly down the street towards no where in particular. "So, where shall we go? Maybe we should go wait at the Tribunal? Perhaps Commander Oakfirst will speak to us. Give us some guidance. Of course, we could check out the area where this enclave is supposed to be hidden. Take the initiative and see what we can discover. I don't know how dangerous it would be, but if we're careful, we just might discover something vital. What do you say, Master Terger? Up for a little skullduggery?"


Relgar glances up from his introspective musings, assuming that he and the dwarf must have arrived at Terger's location since the last time he paid attention. Should this prove to be incorrect, he will ask Ekgrar to repeat (and, it is to be hoped OOC, rephrase) his question.

Elkgrar is surprised that Relgar hadn't been listening, but if he's put off by it, the dwarf doesn't show it.

"I assumed you would want to have a say in where we would go next, young master. I too would like to gather together with Terger and these others we're to work with, but I got the sense that Terger would be at the Crier for some time before meeting with Commander Oakfirst. Terger seems to be a secretive one, which gives me pause, but I've been put on this path by my superiors, as you were by yours. It's likely Terger will be at the Tribunal, eventually, but it could be a while, which is why I suggested scouting out the location near the Gardens here in Old City where Phelix Del Cannitha might be hiding. It could prove useful to get a feeling for the area and see whether or not we might 'find' something that the guards have missed. It is supposed to be hidden underground, after all. I might sense something. We could then find the others and let them know what we've found, if anything.

"If that doesn't appeal to you, we should probably go straight to the Tribunal. Terger will end up there, I think. We aren't likely to run into the other members of our team, as Minister Gale put it. One is likely still in his prison cell and the other has either gone missing or is otherwise engaged in clerical matters. It does happen. Why, just the other day, I had to..." Elkgrar notes the dispassionate look on Relgar's face and realizes he's losing the wizard's attention again.

"Okay, to the point. Where do you want to go, Relgar? Do you want to try to find Terger or try to find our quarry? I am fine with either idea."
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 am

"During my investigation of the Rising Swords their quartermaster let it slip that they had infiltrated the Regulars, the Elite, and possibly even the Lanterns as well," Terger said. "I've considered that it was a ruse to throw me off but he had information about myself and the Elites that were following us that he could have only known if he was being truthful, about that at least. How better for Magnus the Trapmaster to lure me into a trap than to bait it with truth. It seems suspicious to me that Magnus had information that only Captain Patenaude knew and that he conveniently exiled himself from the city at the same time that the Rising Swords leadership was evacuating the city. Now I have no idea if Patenaude is a member of the Rising Swords or if it's just coincidence. But I suspect that there is more going on here than just simple coincidence; just like I suspect Captain Shantilayla shutting down the Crier is just coincidence as she is one of the few who does know it's role in the Lanterns' network." Terger looked across the room at the man who had been his mentor, his friend, and in many ways more of a father than his own father had been. "I will understand if you don't want to do this; this isn't a sanctioned op and if I'm wrong and we get caught we are both facing exile at best. But if you could find out who in the Guards or the Lanterns are working for the Rising Swords it would go a long way to solving the bigger mystery at play here."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby willpell » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:49 pm

"Let us stick to the mission for now."

(OOC: I'd like to get together with a PC, however IC, Relgar would care more about his mission than about some random person. You can always say he doesn't find anything and then returns to rendezvous with Terger.)
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

To the Tribunal

Postby Knightfall » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:35 pm

dfryer36 wrote:"During my investigation of the Rising Swords their quartermaster let it slip that they had infiltrated the Regulars, the Elite, and possibly even the Lanterns as well," Terger said. "I've considered that it was a ruse to throw me off but he had information about myself and the Elites that were following us that he could have only known if he was being truthful, about that at least. How better for Magnus the Trapmaster to lure me into a trap than to bait it with truth. It seems suspicious to me that Magnus had information that only Captain Patenaude knew and that he conveniently exiled himself from the city at the same time that the Rising Swords leadership was evacuating the city. Now I have no idea if Patenaude is a member of the Rising Swords or if it's just coincidence. But I suspect that there is more going on here than just simple coincidence; just like I suspect Captain Shantilayla shutting down the Crier is just coincidence as she is one of the few who does know it's role in the Lanterns' network." Terger looked across the room at the man who had been his mentor, his friend, and in many ways more of a father than his own father had been. "I will understand if you don't want to do this; this isn't a sanctioned op and if I'm wrong and we get caught we are both facing exile at best. But if you could find out who in the Guards or the Lanterns are working for the Rising Swords it would go a long way to solving the bigger mystery at play here."

"It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are spies for the Rising Swords amongst the Regulars. While Commander Oakfirst likes to think he has a firm grasp on the guards, corruption has always been a problem in their ranks. The Elites, less so. They're usually made of sterner stuff. It is troubling that Patenaude walked away from the city, and I'm already looking into it, but, personally, I doubt he's in the Rising Swords' pocket. What he's always been, is a stubborn fool who believes the rule of law is a gospel that cannot be broken. I'm certain it was the deal you struck with Magnus that went so against his personal beliefs that he felt he had to make a political statement to The Five. . . .

"I'm with you when it comes to figuring out the Rising Swords endgame. We're going to have to work quietly for now. I'm not sure I can trust the older runners and I don't want to frighten the younger ones. Hells, I'm keeping most of the really young ones off the streets. I'm relying on Asgeir a lot, probably more than he's ready for. And I'm not worried about Florrie. She could have ran after what happened to her, but she stuck with it and has been a good soldier. I am worried about her spirit but not her loyalty."

Terger thanks his mentor for the information and heads out of the Crier hideout. At the outer door of Thriftmore's home, one of the runners, a girl, stops him and whispers, "There is someone out there. I don't know him, but he's been waiting out in the side alley for several minutes since you came in."

"I know," Terger replies. He steps out of the cellar's entrance and takes a quick look at the nearby guard tower. No movement. He slips out carefully while the runner closes and locks the door. He move carefully and casually towards where the man is standing.

"Terger," the man says. He managed to spot Terger before the Dark Lantern could surprise him. "I take it you're done with whatever you're up to here." The man is more observant than Terger would have given him credit for.

Custodio steps out of the shadow and walks alongside Terger as they head out onto the wide thoroughfare of Dragontooth Walk. They walk as casually as they can towards the Wood Gate at the end of the street.

"Here we are again," Custodio says as they come to the gate where they fought against the Rising Swords with Gralf and Pekko. "Feels like its been forever even though its only been a few days."

The two of them easily pass out of the district and are soon over the chasm bridges and heading back into Old City. Custodio follows Terger's lead as the two of them head for the Tribunal, walking in relative silence.

willpell wrote:"Let us stick to the mission for now."

"So, to the Tribunal then to see if Terger is there," Elkgrar says politely.

Relgar and the dwarf walk the distance to the open-air courtyard known as the Tribunal of Review and Retribution. The design of the structure is simple. On one side are the five sitting judges of Bluffside and on the other is the day's accused on a raised platform, standing in either fear or hatred. Benches are place in a circle around the edge of the courtyard.

As the two men arrive, the judges declare a guilty plea to a trio of men accused of committing robbery during the crisis in New City. The punishment, 60 days in the Dungeon and then 1 year of service in the city's Adamantine mines. The gathered crowd murmurs their approval on the sentence.

"Next case!" A male judge with a gray beard orders.

Elkgrar looks for Terger in the gathered crowd, but he doesn't see him anywhere. He does see Commander Oakfirst standing at the edge of the courtyard, watching the procedures with interest. The two of them make there way towards the leader of the Bluffside Regulars quickly and quietly.

He sees them approach, at the last second, and motions for them to stop and sit on a nearby bench. "In a minute."

"Terger?" Elkgrar asks.

"He's not here, yet," the commander says quietly. "He's not one for keeping a tight schedule. The nature of his work. Now, please, stay silent, for now. This is the last case for the day."

The next two accused include an old man dressed in priestly robes and a stern warrior who is shackled tightly next to him. The judges read off the charges against them, which includes tresspassing in the temple of the being known as Carlinhos and attempting to kill all the cultists of the Gray Ooze God, as well as the ooze itself kept in the bowels of the temple. The crowd boos, as the charges are read.

"Kill the ooze," an onlooker yells. "Banish the cultists!"

"Quiet!" An imposing female judge yells. "Or we clear the courtyard."

The crowd goes silent, except for a few nearby whispers. The judges ask the barrister for the accused for a defense. The man goes into a long litany of religious precedents about the risks of worshiping dangerous creatures and the supposed madness of the leaders of the Temple of Carlinhos. Once the barrister finishes, the judges call one of those temple leaders forward and puts the man through a rigorous series of questions to check his devotion to Carlinhos and the cleric's mental state. To Relgar, he comes off as fanatical as any cleric he's met before but he doesn't seem insane. Surprisingly, magic is not used .

The judges dismiss the man and quickly bring down a verdict of guilty for the two men. The robed man is forbidden from entering the city of Bluffside for 50 years while his shackled companion is sentenced to 25 years in the Dungeon for the deaths of a priest of Carlinhos and a Bluffside Regular who tried to take him into custody. The crowd is displeased by the outcome and begins booing again. Someone throws a piece of rotten fruit at the judges, but before the courtyard erupts in violence, the Bluffside Regulars, lead by Oakfirst, move in and gather up the worst of the troublemakers.

It is at this point that Terger and Custodio arrive at the Tribunal. The judges order the courtyard cleared for the day and they quicky leave under the protection of the Bluffside Elite. Terger sees Elkgrar helping an old couple through the disapating throng of unhappy citizens.

"Another typical day at the Tribunal, it seems," Custodio notes to Terger, as they step up next to Relgar whose mood seems... it's unclear what he's feeling, actually.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby willpell » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:05 am

Relgar realizes that Elkgrar has probably manipulated him into reuniting the "party", and realizes that his life is turning into one of those tavern yarns where a collection of 3-to-5 strangers are thrown together by circumstance and end up on an adventure. This was certainly not what he had in mind...but the designs of Fate are beyond mortal comprehension, so little point in fighting the cosmic momentum. He just hopes that the confusion between his vote on Ekgrar's earlier question, and what the dwarf actually decided to do (based perhaps on a misinterpretation of his own answer, or for some more Machiavellian* reason that he'd rather not speculate upon), ends up working out for the best, and doesn't portent further operational friction down the road.

(OOC: if you object to fourth-wall breaks, just assume that the Maki-Avellians are a race of sinister puppetmasters that dwells in some far-off land, and have become known by reputation and legend across the world, thus that their name is now synonymous with the kind of draconian and duplicitous behavior they are known for - the same attitude which a certain Italian author has become associated with, despite the fact he was actually parodying rather than advocating when he wrote about it. This was of course one of the first documented application of Poe's Law...don't make me come up with a fantasy retro-origin for *that* one, please.)
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:48 pm

Terger pushes his way through the crowd to the courtyard toward Commander Oakfirst. "Terger," Oakfirst says in surprise, "it can't be time for me to take your money playing Three Dragon Ante again can it?"

"I'm afraid not," Terger says. "I'm here on business. I need to speak to one of your prisoners."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Speaking with Commander Oakfirst

Postby Knightfall » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:13 am

willpell wrote:Relgar realizes that Elkgrar has probably manipulated him into reuniting the "party", and realizes that his life is turning into one of those tavern yarns where a collection of 3-to-5 strangers are thrown together by circumstance and end up on an adventure. This was certainly not what he had in mind...but the designs of Fate are beyond mortal comprehension, so little point in fighting the cosmic momentum. He just hopes that the confusion between his vote on Ekgrar's earlier question, and what the dwarf actually decided to do (based perhaps on a misinterpretation of his own answer, or for some more Machiavellian* reason that he'd rather not speculate upon), ends up working out for the best, and doesn't portent further operational friction down the road.

Relgar doesn't have to wait long for the yarn to pull him in to a ball with the others in this tale. Terger soon appears on the edge of the courtyard, as the crowd is being dispersed by the Regulars. Relgar notes that another man walks beside Terger as they approach. The man walks like a soldier but he isn't dressed in the uniform of the Regulars. Instead, he appears to be another cleric. What was the name the minister had said? Relgar tries to recall.

dfryer36 wrote:Terger pushes his way through the crowd to the courtyard toward Commander Oakfirst. "Terger," Oakfirst says in surprise, "it can't be time for me to take your money playing Three Dragon Ante again can it?"

Commander Oakfirst looks at Custodio who salutes the leader of the Bluffside Regulars out of reflex.

"At ease, Vecchi d'Elite," Oakfirst says to Custodio. "No need for you to be so formal until you wear the colors again."

dfryer36 wrote:"I'm afraid not," Terger says. "I'm here on business. I need to speak to one of your prisoners."

Commander Oakfirst turns to Terger, "I know why you've come, Terger. It would be a poor commander who isn't aware of what is being offered to you by his... underling." He pauses. "For that is what that nevae woman still is until The Five force me from the city. Not that would try while I command the loyalty of the bulk of the Regulars. But we shouldn't talk here," he says quietly so only Terger and the others can hear. "Too many prying eyes and ears around."

He takes several steps up out of the courtyard and waves for all of them to follow him. "Come along, my friends. We shall sit and eat while we talk." He walks down the street without worry. He waits for them to follow. Two Elite guards shadow the group watching for trouble until Commander Oakfirst comes to a large manor that is both beautiful and, yet, simple. "He we are."

He heads up the wide marble steps to the double oaken doors, painted beige. A unseen person inside opens the door and the Commander of the Bluffside Regulars leads the way into a stylized foyer. Once inside, the gathered quadrireme of adventurers are greeted by a immaculately dressed halfling woman who holds the left door open. As she closes it, the other door swings shut, magically synched. She nods to the group and motions for them to follow the commander. He leads them up an ornate stairway and into a dining hall where a large table is set for eight people.

He motions for Terger and the others to sit. "I had hoped to convince both Pekko Lempoinen and the gnome Gralf to continue on this mission, but both were resolutely against it. The other place is for 'him' if you can convince the man to join you in hunting the renegade." He looks at Relgar with a dry smile. "I'd prefer not to magically compel the man. Such things tend to end badly."

He moves to sit at the far end of the table, the head. He seems to expect the other sit where they feel most comfortable.

"So, what do you want to know about Demetrios Rhodes? Besides what you learned about him from Minister Gale, that is?"

willpell wrote:(OOC: if you object to fourth-wall breaks, just assume that the Maki-Avellians are a race of sinister puppetmasters that dwells in some far-off land, and have become known by reputation and legend across the world, thus that their name is now synonymous with the kind of draconian and duplicitous behavior they are known for - the same attitude which a certain Italian author has become associated with, despite the fact he was actually parodying rather than advocating when he wrote about it. This was of course one of the first documented application of Poe's Law...don't make me come up with a fantasy retro-origin for *that* one, please.)

OOC: No worries. There is a large kingdom to the north of Bluffside that is based on a fantasy version of Medieval Italy with a bit of early Renaissance, IMO. The idea of being Machiavellian would come from there, and it would likely be a new concept in the last 50 years.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:36 pm

"We need to know if he will work with us. I'd rather not have to worry about him dropping the ball or stabbing us in the back when everything goes to the Nine Hells. And I would also rather not have to call my superiors and have them bring in someone to place a geas on him to help us."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Here we go...

Postby Knightfall » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 am

dfryer36 wrote:"We need to know if he will work with us. I'd rather not have to worry about him dropping the ball or stabbing us in the back when everything goes to the Nine Hells. And I would also rather not have to call my superiors and have them bring in someone to place a geas on him to help us."

"Rhodes would resent a geas placed on him. It's not an option. The moment he gained his freedom from it, he would seek revenge. But, will he work with you without it on him? That's the quandary. Personally, I think he will. I doubt he's eager to go back to his cell in the Dungeon. Did I mention he's here? I'm keeping him sequestered in a room in the manor's lower hall. It's still a cell, but it's a nice cell. Well, nicer than he's used to."

Commander Oakfirst doesn't wait for the others to sit. He claps his hands together, which sets the halfling woman to work and calling for the manor's staff. They bring out an assortment of foods. Most of it is simple and bland. Not the usual fare for such a table.

"Eat if you like," Oakfirst offers. "It isn't a grand banquet of delicacies. Just some nourishment." He take some dry bread and a smattering of some kind of vegetable smear, as well as a few pieces of fruit. He avoids the meat on the table but does take a small piece of old cheese. "My stomach has been giving me fits lately." He sighs.

"I think Rhodes will be eager to do the right thing. At the very least, if he helps, it will go a long way towards restoring his family's honor. I doubt The Five will ever reinstate the Rhodes family amongst the nobility. And it would be a mistake to dangle that in front of him as a carrot. He would see right through it." Oakfirst takes a few bites and then thinks twice about the cheese. He sighs again. "I've been allowed to outfit him with some essential gear for this mission, but The Five won't let me allocate any magic for him. His weapons and other gear is there in that wardrobe."

He points to an old piece of furniture standing off to one side of the room. The halfling woman opens it to show its contents.

"You can choose to allow him healing potions and anything else you'd like to donate to the man, except for weapons and armor. The Five were quite insistent that he get by with what we've provided him."

A tiny bell rings from somewhere in the manor. "Well, I guess I owe Penthesilea an apology and a donation to her goddess. They've managed to pull in another recruit. I guess we'll be meeting your new companion shortly."

Commander Oakfirst notes the look of concerned surprise on Terger's face. Custodio looks more annoyed than surprised.

"Don't look at me like that. This wasn't my idea. The Five insisted on it. Well, Penthesilea saw something on her sacred hill outside the city. A foretelling of some kind. And she insisted on it to them! Even they won't generally go against the will of Mirella."

"The Overgoddess of Magic," Elkgrar bows his head reverently.

"She's not my goddess," Custodio snaps. "And her clerics are a pain to deal with, and unpredictable."

"Well, you better get used to it, Vecchi. This was approved by The Five. They were unanimous. Whoever this new arrival is, they are going to work with you even if a geas has to be used to compel him or her or it. Penthesilea is upstairs now, to 'greet' this newcomer." The Commander takes a sidelong glance at the ceiling. "Hopefully it won't be too painful for her."

=======================================

Meanwhile...
Penthesilea, High Priestess of the World Goddess, Mirella, sits cross-legged in a protective circle. Her hair is wild and her mouth billows smoke as she whispers incantations.

"He is almost here," she sighs. She raises her arms and gestures to the ceiling above, which has become a sea of stars. The rest of the room is dark and quiet. There is a elegant bed under a massive window that looks out onto Old City. With a final gasp, the Mirellan rises up into the air, floating and spinning. "Yes, come forth Soldier of the Crosses! Almagra has granted Mirella your service! It is written in the stars! Another has been put in your place to protect the girl! He is wild but strong! You need not worry!"

The Mirellan's eyes glow and light shines out into the starfield where it hits Almagra's star. With a jolt, the body of Penthesilea splits open to allow the newcomer to be teleported to Kulan from his homeworld through her. She screams.

The big half-ogre soon sleeps soundly in the bed, as Penthesilea's body tears itself apart. She is torn to dust. Yet, her voice whispers in the half-ogre's ear, "Welcome to Kulan. Your life will never be the same again. I will see you again soon, Tymbeck Valencia. Look for me on Mount Arganos once you have done your duty to my goddess."

Then, there is only the sound of the half-ogre's breathing.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Waking up in a massive, elegantly appointed bed, in a large, dark, well-furnished room, overlooking a great city was the last thing that Tim expected, after having gone to sleep on a blanket, in a forest, next to his horse. Tim blinked a few times, looking about him for an explanation that refused to reveal itself. He had a strange feeling; his whole body tingled, as if thousands of tiny needles were lightly tapping his skin. Were it not for the tingling sensation, he would probably yet slumber; he wondered if this were some sort of strange magic.

He sneezed suddenly, a short, loud sneeze, one that sounded particularly "ogreish," a reminder to him of his savage heritage. As he did so, he noticed that he was covered in a light dust, which now swirled in a delicate dance, the dust particles back-lit by the sunlight streaming in through the window. His mind raced, as he tried to figure out the source of the dust. How long had he been sleeping here, to accumulate a layer of dust upon himself? Strange magicks, indeed. Or perhaps a dream?

Tim slapped himself; No, he thought. This is no dream. He looked down, then, to see his gear in a pile next to the bed. It was at that point that he noticed something particularly strange; at court, Tim often wore his finely lacquered, studded leather armor, and carried the big tower shield around with him, in order to make a grand impression. It wasn't exactly common knowledge that he had rarely ever taken that armor and shield into actual battle; and it added to his reputation, that he should wear such light armor, while lesser men coccooned themselves in metal plates, and carry a shield the size of a castle door as casually as one would wear a buckler. But he had actually been wearing that leather, and carrying that big shield, when he became mixed up in the business with the girl; yet, here they were, his actual, battlefield shield, and his actual, battlefield chain shirt, which should have still been in his wardrobe in his father's house. And the shiny leather, and the door shield? Nowhere to be seen. He looked quickly at his clothes, and was relieved to see that they were the same. Tim enjoyed the fancy silks and leather. Losing them would have been a travesty.

Tim gathered up the shirt, the shield, and the sword; the sword was the same, thankfully; it was a family heirloom, irreplaceable. He placed the sword in its quick-draw rig on his back, and simply draped the chain shirt over his arm, like a waiter's towel; he saw no need to wear it, since he was apparently no longer in the wilderness, covered in beetle entrails. Likewise,he carried the shield with but two fingers, hanging by its strap, dangling from his left hand in a casual manner. Where am I? he mused, inwardly. He did not know. Had he gotten so drunk that he simply didn't remember arriving here, wherever here was? He had a widely-known penchant for good wine, and strong ale. But no, he did not feel hungover in the least.

Suddenly, a memory hit him. It was the memory of a soft, feminine voice. "Welcome to Kulan. Your life will never be the same again." the voice had said. But where was Kulan? He had never heard of such a place. Was it the name of this city? Or was it the name of the kingdom that the city resided in?

Tim suddenly realized that the language of the voice was completely foreign to him, and yet he understood it with the practiced ease of a fluent, native speaker. He was suddenly scared, as he realized this. "I am fluent in Cliffspeak. But what in the Nine Hells is Cliffspeak?" he said, aloud. Then, another memory hit him. "I will see you again soon, Tymbeck Valencia. Look for me on Mount Aragnos once you have done your duty to my goddess," the voice had whispered. She knows who I am, he thought. But to which goddess is she referring? And where is Mount Aragnos? I have never heard of such a mountain. It suddenly occurred to Tim that his presence here might be an ill tiding; as a precaution, he went ahead and donned his chain shirt after all, and strapped on his shield properly as well, just to be on the safe side. There was not yet a need to place his blade into his hand, nevertheless, Tim was ready to do so at a moment's notice.

Quietly, and carefully, Tim opened the door to his large, well-furnished room; the door opened onto a hallway, lined with other doors, with a stairway at one end. He was obviously on the second (third? fourth?) floor of an Inn, or perhaps of a bed and breakfast. This place had the feel of an inn, but it also seemed small and cozy, like a manor house. Perhaps the lady waited for him, downstairs? But then again, perhaps not. But Tim decided to go downstairs, in any event; if this were an inn, there would be a bar in the common area, where he could obtain ale. If it were a bed and breakfast, then there would be a parlor, with servants that could actually bring the ale right to him. And right now, he really needed some, the stronger the better.

Tim descends the stairs, noisily, as the wood creaks under his weight. When he reaches the bottom landing, he is surprised to find...
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Postby Knightfall » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:As he did so, he noticed that he was covered in a light dust, which now swirled in a delicate dance, the dust particles back-lit by the sunlight streaming in through the window. <snip>

Tim gathered up the shirt, the shield, and the sword; the sword was the same, thankfully; it was a family heirloom, irreplaceable. He placed the sword in its quick-draw rig on his back, and simply draped the chain shirt over his arm, like a waiter's towel; he saw no need to wear it, since he was apparently no longer in the wilderness, covered in beetle entrails. Likewise,he carried the shield with but two fingers, hanging by its strap, dangling from his left hand in a casual manner. Where am I?

Without even thinking, Tim causally takes a look out the large window. He sees a city, if his eyes and other senses aren't lying to him. It looks very old and is definitely designed for those smaller than him. A human city, most likely. The city seems to look out onto a wide valley ringed by low mountains. They would be barely foothills in Vrocia but are strangely beautiful, nonetheless. In the distance, Tim can make out what looked like, other nearby cities? But if they are, they are really close. It was hard to make out details. Plus, the nearby cityscape blocks his view somewhat.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Quietly, and carefully, Tim opened the door to his large, well-furnished room; the door opened onto a hallway, lined with other doors, with a stairway at one end. He was obviously on the second (third? fourth?) floor of an Inn, or perhaps of a bed and breakfast. This place had the feel of an inn, but it also seemed small and cozy, like a manor house. Perhaps the lady waited for him, downstairs? But then again, perhaps not. But Tim decided to go downstairs, in any event; if this were an inn, there would be a bar in the common area, where he could obtain ale. If it were a bed and breakfast, then there would be a parlor, with servants that could actually bring the ale right to him. And right now, he really needed some, the stronger the better.

Tim descends the stairs, noisily, as the wood creaks under his weight. When he reaches the bottom landing, he is surprised to find...

Tim ducks his head as he exists the room and soon discovers that building only has two floors. If it's a manor, it's a modest one compared to the manor houses of Ilfrey. The stairs down are awkward for him to descend. The steps are narrow for his feet and he has to duck his head to keep from hitting it on the low ceiling of the stairwell. Once onto the main floor, there is more head room.

"Welcome," a voice says. "Tim looks down to see a male halfling standing in front of him. He hadn't seen the halfling man approach and Tim had been watching very carefully. "I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Come with me."

He walks away before Tim can ask any one of the many questions on his mind. The halfling walks down a short hall and disappears around a sharp corner. Tim can do nothing but follow him. He leads Tim to a small hall with a large rectangular table taking up most of the space. There is food and drink laid out of the table and numerous chairs arranged around it.

Sitting at the head of the table is a soldier in a uniform Tim doesn't recognize. Five others of note are present as well. There are three humans. One is obviously a wizard. The other two are more, mysterious. One of them could be a cleric. Another hallfing, a female, stands near a small open wardrobe. The last is a dwarf. He is most definitely a cleric.

"You're new guest has arrive, Commander Oakfirst."

"Thank you, Carter."

The male halfling leaves as the others in the room turns to look at Tim. The dwarf looks like he's going to reach for a weapon when he sees Tim.

"This could be a problem," the other cleric says.

"Please don't be rude, Custodio. He is a newcomer to our world. Let's not start off with an argument."

"It is most definitely a problem!" the dwarf growls. He glares as Tim.

"Mirella has chosen him, Elkgrar. Do you question her wisdom?"

The dwarf stands silently. He shakes his head and looks down at his feet.

Commander Oakfirst stands and holds a hand out to Tim. "Welcome. I assume you can understand me. Penthesilea told me that you would be able to comprehend Cliffspeak. Your name, if you please?"
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 pm

"This is why I hate dealing with the gods," Terger mumbles to himself. "They are constantly meddling where they aren't needed or wanted." Standing he crosses the room to the newcomer. "Welcome," he says. "I'm Terger. The gentleman requesting your name is Commander Oakfirst of the Bluffside Regulars. Manners aren't his strong suit," he says with a wink in Oakside's direction. "Still it looks like you'll be joining our little excursion I'd like to be able to call you something other than hey you."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

The DM wrote:The male halfling leaves as the others in the room turns to look at Tim. The dwarf looks like he's going to reach for a weapon when he sees Tim.


Tim is unsure as to how the Dwarf could possibly mistake him for a common, raid-mongering Ogre; Tim's face is pale, fair, and free of blemish, and is only slightly discolored from his Ogre heritage. There are small patches of grayish-green here and there, but they are the minority compared with his Human coloration, which comprises the bulk of his skin coverage. The small, vestigial, extended canines hint at his heritage, although they are far less-pronounced than a real Ogre's would be. Lastly, his height of 7'9", and weight of only 280 pounds, though large and heavy for a Human, fall significantly short of the 9 foot / 600-pound frame of a true Ogre. His physical appearance, combined with his flair for fine clothes, must surely count for something, right...?

The DM wrote:"It is most definitely a problem!" the dwarf growls. He glares as Tim.


Tim raises an eyebrow at the Dwarf's apparent hostility, but makes no move to defend himself; he speaks to the Dwarf in a polite, respectful manner, the manner of the royal court, diplomatic in tone, and very polished in enunciation and elocution; and such polish is certainly the last thing that a Dwarf would expect of a savage Ogre. "I don't blame you, master Dwarf. I might do the same in your position. But I can assure you, kind sir, that I am not your enemy."

The DM wrote:Commander Oakfirst stands and holds a hand out to Tim. "Welcome. I assume you can understand me. Penthesilea told me that you would be able to comprehend Cliffspeak. Your name, if you please?"


Tim shakes the man's hand, smiling, and then bows politely. "I am Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross, humble servant and vassal of the King of Vrocia. I do indeed seem to comprehend this new language, Cliffspeak as you call it, although I am at a loss as to how this is possible. I can only surmise that magic is somehow involved. I went to sleep on a blanket, under the stars, next to my horse, covered in beetle entrails. I awoke to find myself here, my clothes spotlessly clean, lying atop a comfortable bed with silk sheets, my gear in a neat pile near the foot of the bed. As I was waking, I remember a woman's voice, welcoming me to Kulan. I have never heard of such a kingdom. Might I inquire as to how far we are from Vrocia, and in what compass direction? And lastly, what the purpose was in bringing me here? I am a vassal of the king, and I am expected to be available, should he have need of me. I must inform him of my location as soon as possible."

Speaking OOC, Tellerian wrote: By the way, when creating this character, I wanted to have a tall, lean, character, so as to give him an air of (slight) awkwardness. I didn't want him to be overly massive. Therefore, I based him on the build of the closest real-world person I could find, Yao Ming, the former NBA player, who is 7'6" and weighs 311 pounds. I made Tim three inches taller, and 30 pounds lighter. Tim is still incredibly strong, but his lean frame can nevertheless be somewhat misleading. His strength comes not from the diameter and mass of his muscles, but from their extended length. When his muscles contract, they generate a lot more tension than a shorter, wider muscle would.


A picture of Yao Ming next to Shaquille O'Neal.
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Terger wrote:"This is why I hate dealing with the gods," Terger mumbles to himself. "They are constantly meddling where they aren't needed or wanted." Standing he crosses the room to the newcomer.


Tim nods, somewhat nervously, at the mention of "interfering deities."

Terger wrote:"Welcome, I'm Terger. The gentleman requesting your name is Commander Oakfirst of the Bluffside Regulars..." [...] "Still it looks like you'll be joining our little excursion I'd like to be able to call you something other than hey you."


Tim shakes Terger's hand, and smiles. "You can call me Tim. It is an honor to make your acquaintance. And you as well, sir," he says, with a nod to the Commander.
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Knightfall » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

dfryer36 wrote:"This is why I hate dealing with the gods," Terger mumbles to himself. "They are constantly meddling where they aren't needed or wanted." Standing he crosses the room to the newcomer. "Welcome," he says. "I'm Terger. The gentleman requesting your name is Commander Oakfirst of the Bluffside Regulars. Manners aren't his strong suit," he says with a wink in Oakside's direction. "Still it looks like you'll be joining our little excursion I'd like to be able to call you something other than hey you."

Oakfirst smirks at Terger.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim is unsure as to how the Dwarf could possibly mistake him for a common, raid-mongering Ogre; Tim's face is pale, fair, and free of blemish, and is only slightly discolored from his Ogre heritage. There are small patches of grayish-green here and there, but they are the minority compared with his Human coloration, which comprises the bulk of his skin coverage. The small, vestigial, extended canines hint at his heritage, although they are far less-pronounced than a real Ogre's would be. Lastly, his height of 7'9", and weight of only 280 pounds, though large and heavy for a Human, fall significantly short of the 9 foot / 600-pound frame of a true Ogre. His physical appearance, combined with his flair for fine clothes, must surely count for something, right...?

Tim raises an eyebrow at the Dwarf's apparent hostility, but makes no move to defend himself; he speaks to the Dwarf in a polite, respectful manner, the manner of the royal court, diplomatic in tone, and very polished in enunciation and elocution; and such polish is certainly the last thing that a Dwarf would expect of a savage Ogre. "I don't blame you, master Dwarf. I might do the same in your position. But I can assure you, kind sir, that I am not your enemy."

Elkgrar is a bit put off by Tim's elegant manners. It is definitely not what he was expecting. "I accept that the Mirella has chosen you for your strength and skill. I apologize for my outburst. I've had a lot of dealings with the, other half of your heritage. Ogres aren't particularly well liked by my kin, and I was trained from a young age to recognize ogreish features, no matter how slight." Tim senses that there is something else, but the dwarf keeps his eyes down, in shame?

"Ogreish?" Custodio asks surprised. He looks at Tim again. "That was not my objection. It's his uniform. What do those emblems and that color scheme remind you of, Commander?"

Oakfirst takes a closer look at the crest and colors. "Well, that is... interesting. That coat of arms looks very much like the Imperial Crest of Ticinum."

"If he wears that uniform around the city, it might cause problems," Custodio adds.

Terger quickly notices what Custodio did. The emblems and color scheme looks uncannily like the Ticinum's Imperial Crest. While it's not exact, Tim looks like he stepped right off the streets of Ravenna, Ticinum's Imperial City.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim shakes the man's hand, smiling, and then bows politely. "I am Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross, humble servant and vassal of the King of Vrocia. I do indeed seem to comprehend this new language, Cliffspeak as you call it, although I am at a loss as to how this is possible. I can only surmise that magic is somehow involved. I went to sleep on a blanket, under the stars, next to my horse, covered in beetle entrails. I awoke to find myself here, my clothes spotlessly clean, lying atop a comfortable bed with silk sheets, my gear in a neat pile near the foot of the bed. As I was waking, I remember a woman's voice, welcoming me to Kulan. I have never heard of such a kingdom. Might I inquire as to how far we are from Vrocia, and in what compass direction? And lastly, what the purpose was in bringing me here? I am a vassal of the king, and I am expected to be available, should he have need of me. I must inform him of my location as soon as possible."

"Kulan isn't a kingdom, Sir Tymbeck. It's the name of this world," Commander pauses to let that information sink in. "If you do not know it, then it is as Penthesilea told me. You were brought here from another world. I assumed The World Goddess had taken someone from another world in Kulanspace, but it seems you might be from another material plane, entirely. You are a very long way from this Vrocia of yours and there isn't much chance of you being able contact your king anytime soon, if at all. You are in the city of Bluffside in the Western Lands of the continent of Kanpur. How best to show you what I mean?"

Commander Oakfirst nods to the female halfling. "My maps, if you please." The halfling woman quickly bows and exits the room. She comes back 5 minutes later with two rolled up maps.

Oakfirst rolls out the first one which shows the city of Bluffside. "This is Bluffside. We are here, in Old City. Each district is self-contained." He rolls out the other map. "This a map of this region of Kanpur. It is commonly called The Northwest. Bluffside is here." He points to the city's location on the map. Tim can see that this Bluffside sits on the edge of a large sea that is called Ishamark. Bluffside is noted on the map as being the 'City on the Edge'. Oakfirst points to another area on the map. "These are the Imperial Lands of Ticinum that Custodio mentioned. I've never heard of any province in its lands called Vrocia. And Ticinum has a Emperor not a King."

No matter how hard Tim looks, he finds no sign of Vrocia on the map. Part of him want to doubt what the man is telling him.

"As for why you were brought here, I'm afraid to say that was not my doing. It was decided by The World Goddess, Mirella. She had her High Priestess bring you here through some sort of blood ritual. Unfortunately, the ritual destroys the caster's body as part of the sacrifice needed. Penthesilea will reform somewhere else, eventually. She didn't tell where that would be, but I doubt it will nearby.

"I can tell you that you are here for an important purpose, although it might seem trivial to you compared to what is happening in your own kingdom. This group," Oakfirst motions to the others. "Have been tasked with finding a renegade sorcerer on the loose who has caused much devastation in one of Bluffside's other districts, New City. It is believed that he is hiding somewhere here in Old City. His name is Phelix Del Cannitha. Whatever he is up to, it might have ramifications for not only Bluffside but also the entire Northwest."

"I think Tim being here might have more to do with Ticinum. Relations between Bluffside and Ticinum have never been great. If his heraldry relates this Vrocia in any way to Ticinum, it could be very significant for the Imperial Family," Custodio says.

"Yes, something to consider," Oakfirst adds. "Terger, what do you think? Master Aspergim, any thoughts?"
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby willpell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 am

Relgar is busily scribbling on several sheets of paper and does not look up when addressed.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Tim's Memory wrote:"...to those who do not yet know and now that I am away from potentially irksome ears I'm fairly certain that most of you have by now figured out that I am not from around here; well, this is very true. not only am I not from this area, I am not from this world. I am Evermithe Woodshadow. Protector for the Great Tree of Life and Scout in service to the Kozakuran Empire's Explorer Corps...I arrived here aboard an Explorer Corps Courier Ship, bringing updates and news to the Imperial Embassy in the Capital. While other means are available for getting around, travel by Spelljammer is the most cost effective and safest means"


Tim says, "Were it not for previous, recent experience with meeting an Elf from beyond the stars, I would find it hard to believe you. However, I did meet such a person, and I am fairly confident that one would find it hard to make up such fantastic tales, about ships called Spelljammers which sail beyond the stars, with the aid of magical enchantment. I may not have arrived here in such a fashion, but if star-going ships exist, then a priestess summoning me here via the use of ritualized magicks isn't exactly beyond the pale of reason, either. It saddens me to think that I shall never see my homeland again; for none of these maps look like anything I've ever seen. But I am a man of action; I simply pray that your goddess, Mirella, shall soon reveal her purpose to me, because I am the sort of man who likes to know such things. Having purpose, and a set of goals, is the key to a happy and orderly life. If the cause is just, you will find me unwavering, no matter the adversity. I will not shrink from my duty, nor shy away from the fray, especially where the protection of innocents is at stake."

The Commander wrote:"...Unfortunately, the ritual destroys the caster's body as part of the sacrifice needed. Penthesilea will reform somewhere else, eventually. She didn't tell where that would be, but I doubt it will nearby."


Tim's Memory wrote:"...I will see you again soon, Tymbeck Valencia. Look for me on Mount Arganos once you have done your duty to my goddess."


After a pause, Tim adds: "If you'll recall, I stated that I heard a woman's voice as I was waking. When my eyes opened, she was gone. But she mentioned something about doing my duty for her goddess, and afterwards, seeking her at a place called Mount Arganos. Is this information helpful to you?"
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Knightfall wrote:
"Yes, something to consider," Oakfirst adds. "Terger, what do you think? Master Aspergim, any thoughts?"
"Other worlds? Other planes? I know that the churches teach that the gods dwell in the planes above and the planes below but unless you are suggesting that Master Tim here is a god then I'm afraid you have gone well beyond my ken on this matter."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Terger wrote:"Other worlds? Other planes? I know that the churches teach that the gods dwell in the planes above and the planes below but unless you are suggesting that Master Tim here is a god then I'm afraid you have gone well beyond my ken on this matter."


Tim says, "I sympathize with you, my good man. It still confuses me a little, also. But let me assure you, I am as mortal as you are; I bleed just as red. The nearest that I can reckon it, is that the stars above are part of a grand ballroom. They are like the chandelier. The land we walk upon is akin to a giant chessboard, sitting on a table. We are the chess pieces. The ballroom is filled with many tables, and each chessboard on each different table is a new world. The gods seat themselves at the various tables, and play out their games with our lives, sacrificing pawns to acquire or capture bigger pieces. But in my case, they saw fit to take me off of the board I started on, and place me on this one."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:18 pm

"Well now that we have that all sorted out I think I need a drink and then I need to speak with Rhodes," Terger says. "Most of us here are well aware that Lady Pomander will not like having her schemes ignored even if it is decreed by the gods."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Knightfall » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim says, "Were it not for previous, recent experience with meeting an Elf from beyond the stars, I would find it hard to believe you. However, I did meet such a person, and I am fairly confident that one would find it hard to make up such fantastic tales, about ships called Spelljammers which sail beyond the stars, with the aid of magical enchantment. I may not have arrived here in such a fashion, but if star-going ships exist, then a priestess summoning me here via the use of ritualized magicks isn't exactly beyond the pale of reason, either. It saddens me to think that I shall never see my homeland again; for none of these maps look like anything I've ever seen. But I am a man of action; I simply pray that your goddess, Mirella, shall soon reveal her purpose to me, because I am the sort of man who likes to know such things. Having purpose, and a set of goals, is the key to a happy and orderly life. If the cause is just, you will find me unwavering, no matter the adversity. I will not shrink from my duty, nor shy away from the fray, especially where the protection of innocents is at stake."

"I'm glad you are with us on this problem," Commander Oakfirst says in response. "The cause is just. an evil madman is on the loose and we don' know what he's planning. There's already been to much death and miser because of Phelix. And you have my word that if we can find a way to contact your homeland through magic, I will have it done."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
The Commander wrote:"...Unfortunately, the ritual destroys the caster's body as part of the sacrifice needed. Penthesilea will reform somewhere else, eventually. She didn't tell where that would be, but I doubt it will nearby."

Tim's Memory wrote:"...I will see you again soon, Tymbeck Valencia. Look for me on Mount Arganos once you have done your duty to my goddess."

After a pause, Tim adds: "If you'll recall, I stated that I heard a woman's voice as I was waking. When my eyes opened, she was gone. But she mentioned something about doing my duty for her goddess, and afterwards, seeking her at a place called Mount Arganos. Is this information helpful to you?"

"Mount Arganos! That some ways from here," Oakfirst replies. "The mountain sits on an island in the Varv-Aran Sea. It's quite famous for its oracles, or infamous, depending on who you ask. The island is near the City-state of Atheos. That's over 9,000 miles from here, overland. Of course, once you've helped us, you could easily take a ship there down the coast to Sharn and then up through the Illiadis Sea to the Strait of Kenchragis. It would still be along journey, but it would be safer."

"It would probably be easier for him to take an airship out of Orra," Custodio suggests. "Even though the cost would be significant."

"True. True. But that's for another time," Oakfirst agrees.

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"Yes, something to consider," Oakfirst adds. "Terger, what do you think? Master Aspergim, any thoughts?"

"Other worlds? Other planes? I know that the churches teach that the gods dwell in the planes above and the planes below but unless you are suggesting that Master Tim here is a god then I'm afraid you have gone well beyond my ken on this matter."

"Of course not," Oakfirst replies.

"It isn't unreasonable that Mirella would pluck someone from another world if there is something in the Fates that she sees," Custodio says.

"Aye," Elkgrar adds. "The Builder teaches that the cosmos is an intricate machine with many moving parts and unique gears that hold worlds infinite. This, knight's world is one of those worlds and it could be part of our Material Plane across the Unseen Infinity or somewhere beyond it."

"Yes, and since the priestess used blood magic," Custodio notes. "it is possible that Tim's world could be beyond the the Plane of Graves, the Spirit World, or even, dare I say, The Far Realm."

"i'd prefer if you didn't mention that, place," the dwarf sighs.

"Sorry, Elk."
willpell wrote:Relgar is busily scribbling on several sheets of paper and does not look up when addressed.

OOC: :lol:

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim says, "I sympathize with you, my good man. It still confuses me a little, also. But let me assure you, I am as mortal as you are; I bleed just as red. The nearest that I can reckon it, is that the stars above are part of a grand ballroom. They are like the chandelier. The land we walk upon is akin to a giant chessboard, sitting on a table. We are the chess pieces. The ballroom is filled with many tables, and each chessboard on each different table is a new world. The gods seat themselves at the various tables, and play out their games with our lives, sacrificing pawns to acquire or capture bigger pieces. But in my case, they saw fit to take me off of the board I started on, and place me on this one."

"An interesting way of looking at it," Elkgrar notes with some fascination. "You, have keen mind, Sir Tymbeck. The World Goddess chose well." The dwarven cleric seems to have gotten over his initial reaction to Tim's presence.

dfryer36 wrote:"Well now that we have that all sorted out I think I need a drink and then I need to speak with Rhodes," Terger says. "Most of us here are well aware that Lady Pomander will not like having her schemes ignored even if it is decreed by the gods."

"Aye, a drink," Elkgrar replies. "Sir Tymbeck, we would be honored if you join us."

"Indeed! Lavia, please bring us some of my best ale. And that bottle of Vhalfaldian Stout I won last month."

"Yes, Commander." The halfling woman bows respectfully. She heads off to another room as everyone finds a seat at the table. She comes back with a pitcher of sweet-smelling ale and a large bottle, already uncorked.

"You will be careful, Commander. Your stomach."

"Yes, yes, my dear," He replies with a wave of his hand. "I'll only have some mild berrywine." He looks at Tim and says, "Try the stout. It has quite the kick."

Lavia moves around the table and pours the stout for anyone who wants it. Once she is finished, she bows again and leaves the hall, closing the doors behind her.

"Terger," Oakfirst says once he's had some wine and nibbled on some dry bread. "Once you're ready, just head out into the corridor and Carter will show you the way down to where Rhodes is, resting. And don't worry about Lady Pomander. She's aware of the situation. Like I or anyone else could keep this development from her prying eyes and ears."

"I'm going down there with him," Custodio insists, still standing. "He's a dangerous man. You shouldn't be down there alone." He sees the displeasure on Terger's face. "Don't worry, I'll stay out of sight. I'll just be there to back you up should he become hostile."

While everyone else converses, Relgar continues to quietly scribble bits of arcana and math in his spellbook. He seems content, so Oakfirst lets him be. He sets a small plate of food down next to the wizard, just in case the man wants something to eat.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Knightfall wrote:"Terger," Oakfirst says once he's had some wine and nibbled on some dry bread. "Once you're ready, just head out into the corridor and Carter will show you the way down to where Rhodes is, resting. And don't worry about Lady Pomander. She's aware of the situation. Like I or anyone else could keep this development from her prying eyes and ears."


"I have no doubt that she's aware," Terger responds. "With her position and talents she probably knew nearly the same moment that we did. Given that she is quite displeased with me right now I would not be surprised if she had one of her agents scrying me even in my sleep. It's happened before after all. However, given that I am quite...intimately familiar with how she can get when she is angry, angrier than she is now, I would rather remain on her good side for the time being." Strangely Terger smiles at this statement and seems to drift away for a moment as if lost in a pleasant memory.

Knightfall wrote:"I'm going down there with him," Custodio insists, still standing. "He's a dangerous man. You shouldn't be down there alone." He sees the displeasure on Terger's face. "Don't worry, I'll stay out of sight. I'll just be there to back you up should he become hostile."


"I am quite certain that Rhodes will be hostile, at least at first," Terger tells Custodio. "He would be useless to our mission if he were not a man of action and violence. However I'm counting on him to have enough sense to wait for me to initiate a fight. After all he will be just as useless if he's the type to lash out without thinking first."

Terger then leads Custodio out of earshot of the others. "When I speak to Rhodes I may have to reveal certain information about myself that is a closely guarded secret in order to gain his trust. You will be one of less than a dozen people, including the Five, that are privy to that information if I do. You must swear to guard my secrets with your life if you accompany me."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Elkgrar wrote:"Aye, a drink," Elkgrar replies. "Sir Tymbeck, we would be honored if you join us."


Tim replies, "The honor would be mutual, I am always eager to make new friends. I don't discriminate between wine and ale, I consume moderate amounts of both on a regular basis. Since I am new here, I will gladly follow any recommendations you might have as to where to start; you said the stout was good, so let's begin there," Tim says, with a wide grin.

After Lavia pours Tim some stout, he quaffs it eagerly, finding it to his liking. "Thank you," he says.

Oakfirst wrote:"I'm glad you are with us on this problem," Commander Oakfirst says in response. "The cause is just. an evil madman is on the loose and we don't know what he's planning. There's already been to much death and misery because of Phelix. And you have my word that if we can find a way to contact your homeland through magic, I will have it done."


Tim smiles, and says, "When I catch up to him, this Phelix will harm no one else, I give you my word on that. As for contacting my homeland, your offer is more than generous, even if contact proves impossible. The fact that you offered is a compliment in my eyes."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [Kulan PbP|D&D v.3.5] Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign

Postby willpell » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:59 pm

"That's GOT IT!!!" Relgar announces with a final, triumphant flourish of the pen, leaping upright while tossing his compass and protractor onto the desk. Having made such a spectacle of himself in the heat of the moment, he realizes that the entire room is looking at him, and that he doesn't remember what he's doing here, and turns beet-red as he searches his memory to figure out what has been going on around him, while he worked out a theoretical problem in thermokinetics which would be impossible to even explain to anyone who doesn't share his particular arcane education.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Knightfall » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 pm

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"Terger," Oakfirst says once he's had some wine and nibbled on some dry bread. "Once you're ready, just head out into the corridor and Carter will show you the way down to where Rhodes is, resting. And don't worry about Lady Pomander. She's aware of the situation. Like I or anyone else could keep this development from her prying eyes and ears."

"I have no doubt that she's aware," Terger responds. "With her position and talents she probably knew nearly the same moment that we did. Given that she is quite displeased with me right now I would not be surprised if she had one of her agents scrying me even in my sleep. It's happened before after all. However, given that I am quite...intimately familiar with how she can get when she is angry, angrier than she is now, I would rather remain on her good side for the time being." Strangely Terger smiles at this statement and seems to drift away for a moment as if lost in a pleasant memory.

Oakfirst grins behind his cup of wine.

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"I'm going down there with him," Custodio insists, still standing. "He's a dangerous man. You shouldn't be down there alone." He sees the displeasure on Terger's face. "Don't worry, I'll stay out of sight. I'll just be there to back you up should he become hostile."

"I am quite certain that Rhodes will be hostile, at least at first," Terger tells Custodio. "He would be useless to our mission if he were not a man of action and violence. However I'm counting on him to have enough sense to wait for me to initiate a fight. After all he will be just as useless if he's the type to lash out without thinking first."

"Oh, he's definitely a thinker, but he's no rogue scholar. He was born into a noble family after all. He can bluff with the best of them, and he knew his way around an elegant soirée, probably can still pull it off. However, he was always rough around the edges and spirited. Being in prison has just made him more, fiery," Oakfirst replies.

"If he's that hostile, shouldn't more of us be down there?" Elkgrar asks.

"No, definitely not," Oakfirst says.

"And I'm not going to be interacting with him," Custodio adds. "I'll just stay within earshot in case something goes wrong, which I don't think it will, but it is better to be safe."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Elkgrar wrote:"Aye, a drink," Elkgrar replies. "Sir Tymbeck, we would be honored if you join us."

Tim replies, "The honor would be mutual, I am always eager to make new friends. I don't discriminate between wine and ale, I consume moderate amounts of both on a regular basis. Since I am new here, I will gladly follow any recommendations you might have as to where to start; you said the stout was good, so let's begin there," Tim says, with a wide grin.

After Lavia pours Tim some stout, he quaffs it eagerly, finding it to his liking. "Thank you," he says.

You are welcome, traveler," Lavia replies.

"I'm glad it's to your liking, "oakfirst says. "I will have to drink vicariously through you."

Elkgrar smiles and raises his mug in a silent toast to Tim, with a nod of his head.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Oakfirst wrote:"I'm glad you are with us on this problem," Commander Oakfirst says in response. "The cause is just. an evil madman is on the loose and we don't know what he's planning. There's already been to much death and misery because of Phelix. And you have my word that if we can find a way to contact your homeland through magic, I will have it done."

Tim smiles, and says, "When I catch up to him, this Phelix will harm no one else, I give you my word on that. As for contacting my homeland, your offer is more than generous, even if contact proves impossible. The fact that you offered is a compliment in my eyes."

"Think nothing of it," Oakfirst replies. "It's only fair. You are here and in the city's service for the foreseeable future. We should try to help you, as you help us. I will tell your tale to The Five. I'm sure they'll be able to ask one of the resident priests of Lusos if there is anyway to communicate with your world. The Traveler is known for his dealings on other planes, or so I've heard. And while I encourage your enthusiasm, I suggest caution when it comes time to face Phelix. He is a dangerous foe, as you will soon learn. His crimes have broken many, including a paladin who now refuses to step outsider her sanctuary in the Temple District."

The mention of more gods makes Terger down the rest of his drink and get up from the table. He notes that Relgar seems to be making some headway into something he's working on.

dfryer36 wrote:Terger then leads Custodio out of earshot of the others. "When I speak to Rhodes I may have to reveal certain information about myself that is a closely guarded secret in order to gain his trust. You will be one of less than a dozen people, including the Five, that are privy to that information if I do. You must swear to guard my secrets with your life if you accompany me."

"Everyone has secrets, Terger Alela. I will keep your secrets, well, unless you reveal your a demon and change shape into a balor," Custodio replies with a thin smile. Then his face turns more serious. "And if you ever learn any of my secrets, I hope you will do me the same favor of keeping those secrets to yourself. Now, shall we go?"

The duo head down the corridor to where the halfling male, Carter, is waiting for them. (Terger notes that Carter looks very much like Livia. Twins, perhaps?) Carter leads them through another hallway and down a spiral staircase to the lowest part of the manor. It is cramped but clean. The long corridor that stretches out before them is spartan and there are an equal number of door on each side, 10 in total. The doors have small windows with single, solid, horizontal iron bar. As Carter leads them down the narrow path, Custodio stops half way down and nods to Terger, as to say, 'I'll wait here'. The Vanquisher cleric stands against the wall, at ease.

Carter and Terger continue down to the end of the corridor. Carter motions to the last door to Terger's right. The halfling moves to the cell and unlocks it but doesn't open it. He hands Terger the key. "Do not open the door until after I leave," Carter strongly suggests. "While he is unarmed, he is not chained to the wall. We didn't want to give him anything that he might use as a weapon. That key will not unlock any of these other doors and Master Oakfirst would appreciate it if neither of you looked in them while you're down here." Carter turns and looks at Custodio to make sure the cleric hears him as well. The halfling then quickly walks back the way they came and almost scurries up the spiral stairs.

Custodio and Targer watch him leave. Custodio turns and looks at Terger with a raised eyebrow. He stands more at attention and keeps one hand on the hilt of his bastard sword and readies his shield, just in case. "Go ahead."

willpell wrote:"That's GOT IT!!!" Relgar announces with a final, triumphant flourish of the pen, leaping upright while tossing his compass and protractor onto the desk. Having made such a spectacle of himself in the heat of the moment, he realizes that the entire room is looking at him, and that he doesn't remember what he's doing here, and turns beet-red as he searches his memory to figure out what has been going on around him, while he worked out a theoretical problem in thermokinetics which would be impossible to even explain to anyone who doesn't share his particular arcane education.

The first thing he notices is that the one called Terger and the human cleric are no longer in the room. (for some reason, Terger's name and face seem clear to him in his mind.) He remembers the name Rhodes and that Terger was going to speak to the man alone. Yet, the cleric went with him to guard his back. The two of them seem to have a prior connection. What was it, again?

The rest of those gathered stare at him in there own, unique, ways. The dwarf seems curious about Relgar's actions, but he remains quiet. Commander Oakfirst looks at Terger with a grin. Several servants taking care of the food on the table look at him with concern. The halfling woman stands next to him with her hands on her hips, tapping her foot. "Please try not to make a mess, Mister Aspergim."

Relgar looks on the floor to see that he knocked a plate of food off the table. It had been sitting near him, but he didn't remember putting it there. Searching his memory again, he recalls that Oakfirst had put it there for him. The plate seems intact, but the food is scattered. A piece of bread is underfoot.

"It's all right, Livia," Oakfirst says. "He was deep in thought. Give the meat to the dogs and the bread to the pigeons on the roof."

"Yes Master," she sighs. She motions for several of the servants to help her clean up the spilled food.

Relgar notes that there is someone else in the room. A large man with some interesting physical features. He arrived after the others. Brought from another plane of existence. Relgar remembers hearing that part of the conversation more clearly than the rest. Blood magic. Risky stuff, and painful. The cleric of Mirella must have suffered greatly to bring this newcomer to Kulan.

"Finished your equation, have you, Relgar?" Oakfirst asks. He looks at Tim and motions to Relgar. "Sir Tymbeck Valencia of Vrocia, this is Relgar Aspergim, a wizard of Bluffside."
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
Green Dragon
 
Posts: 4193
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest