[Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby willpell » Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Relgar exchanges a glance with Thersean, wondering if the elf finds this entire exchange as dull as he does. The workmanlike wizard has heard of the Dragori, and is "more than a little" (which effectively means the same as "intensely and maddeningly", for all outward purposes) curious about these reptilian creatures' psychology, and how it compares to those of the "typical" humans who frustrate his extraordinary intellect so much.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Terger sends his message; Relgar entranced

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 05, 2017 12:06 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Master Rosenberg wrote: "But you say this villain is supposed to be hiding around here, which is so hard to believe. Old City is blanketed by the best of the Bluffside Regulars with most of their commanders being members of the Elite."

Custodio wrote:"No one is infallible, Master Rosenberg," Custodio notes.


Tim is quick to add, "Not only infallible in the sense of failing to notice wrongdoing, but also infallible in the sense of failing to care; bribery can be a strong motivator for some. Only the wisest, most well-trained guards have the ability to resist the gleam of silver and gold."

"That is possible, as well, although my leaders don't like to talk about it," Custodio agrees. "Of course, rooting out corruption is one of Commander Oakfirst's highest priorities."

"The man is truly unforgiving," Rosenberg notes.

"Yes, he told us about your friend, although he didn't go into details," Custodio adds. "Likely, he did what he felt was right, under the law. And he does so when the occasional guard looks the other way, which is a rarity in this city."

"Not as rare as you think," Rhodes says. "Well, in my experience. I can't say how it is here in Old City, but as a prisoner in Bluffside's Dungeon, I've seen some behavior amongst its guards that could be considered criminal, or, at the very least, immoral."

"Well, now that you're out and reInstated, you can give a report on what you've seen there," Custodio suggests. "If you swear to the truth of what you saw, I'm sure Commander Oakfirst will listen to what you have to say."

"Give a report?" Rhodes says with surprise, then he laughs. "I've never been the sort to rat out others just because it is expected."

"But if there is corruption, you must tell someone..."

"I just told you," Rhodes interrupts. "And him." he motions to Terger. "That should be all that is needed for an investigation to get started. But that's another issue. We shouldn't get distracted from Del Cannitha."

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"No, no, I'm telling you, there isn't anything out there but a few old broken stones and a muddy depression."

"You'd be surprised where evil lurks, Rosey," Rhodes replies. He looks at the others. "I think we have a lead."

"I will contact my superiors and make sure we are cleared for where ever we need to go," Terger says. "I would rather not have any misunderstanding with the Regulars on this outing. And we may be able to get some intelligence that Master Rosenberg is not privy to."

"or, you'll just tip someone off that we're coming," Rhodes replies. "Sometimes it's better to ask for forgivenance than for permission."

"I agree with Terger," Custodio says.

"Why does that not surprise me?" Rhodes sighs. "Don't answer that, it was rhetorical."

"It sounded more like sarcasm to me," Custodio replies.

"Will you two stop it, already!" Elkgrar barks. "We don't have time to argue amongst ourselves." He looks at Terger. "If you can get a message to your superiors quickly and really think it will help, I suggest you do it, quickly. But we're not going to sit around waiting while an evil sorcerer is on the loose."

Terger felt he hadn't asked anyone for their permission, so he was already heading out of the hall to speak to one of the inn's servants as Elkgrar was speaking to him. He gives the servant clear instructions to send a runner to the Simonis Trading House with a sealed message, that he writes and seals himself, and that is must be put into the hands of Master Simonis an no one else, and if he isn't there, for the runner to bring the message back to Terger at the old Oakfirst Manor and give it back to him and no one else.

MacConnell wrote:Thersean is quiet, taking it all in. Being unfamiliar with the area and its peoples, he figures he should listen more than speak.

Thersean watches as the man named Terger Alela leaves the hall without another word. There is something more to the man than what he appears to be, but Thersean isn't sure what it could be. He is human, after all, and humans tend to be contradictions. Yet, any man with 'superiors' is likely more than just another adventurer.

The rest of his new companions are more straightforward. Elkgrar Ashhand is of noble breeding but seems to rankle against his family's traditions. Custodio is a guard and seems a bit uptight. Rhodes seems to be a free spirit but with an edge of darkness in him.

Then there is the one named Relgar Aspergim. The man seems uncomfortable in his own skin, or maybe it's the company that he is currently keeping that is making him uncomfortable. He appears to be an artisan, but the clothes he wears have a touch of the arcane in their design. Relgar looks at him with what Thersean thinks is a blank look...

willpell wrote:Relgar exchanges a glance with Thersean, wondering if the elf finds this entire exchange as dull as he does. The workmanlike wizard has heard of the Dragori, and is "more than a little" (which effectively means the same as "intensely and maddeningly", for all outward purposes) curious about these reptilian creatures' psychology, and how it compares to those of the "typical" humans who frustrate his extraordinary intellect so much.

While Terger is out of the hall, the subject matter turns beyond dull and into the inane, as least in Relgar's mind. Rhodes and Rosenberg exchange platitudes and what Relgar once heard referred to as 'idle chit-chat'. If it wasn't for the wide array of religious symbolism scattered all over the temple's walls, Relgar would have begun to twitch in annoyance.

Relgar finds several 'holy symbols' (what he would call sigils) of numerous gods of magic including not only Bluffside's Great Teacher and the World Goddess, Mirella, but also symbols for Apollo, Anu, Aureon, Hecate, Hoenir, Kor, Nanshe, Orunmilla, Thoth, Viltar, Wotan, and even Sun-Wu-Kung and Tsukuyomi, two deities worshiped extensively in the Eastern Lands. It is a cosmic map of the arcane teachings of the divine realms. There are even more sigils, more than a dozen, that Relgar doesn't recognize, but he can tell that the symbols are placed in line with the rest of the arcane gods. He does note a lack of holy symbols dedicated to what purists refer to as evil gods. One in particular catches his eye and seems to draw him in. Eventually, Terger comes back into the room, but Relgar doesn't notice.

"With that done, we should head back to the manor and retrieve our weapons and armor before heading over to Wyndlasmere House and the old district tower," Rhodes suggests. "Rosey, it was good seeing you again. I'll come around gain when I have more time."

"Good, good," Rosenberg replies while shaking Rhode's hand. He also shakes Elkgrar's hand and nods politely to Tim. He does the same for Custodio but it is more forced. He confirms with Terger the payment needed for the runner to be sent to the trading house, 3 silvers, and he barely looks at Thersean (likely thinking him a servant since he didn't speak). He notices Relgar's intense studying of the wall and looks at the others nervously when the draftsmage takes out his protractor and starts measuring out angles while digging for something to scribble with.

"His isn't going to-"

"Relgar, we should go," Custodio urges. "I'm sure Master Rosenberg can have whatever you're looking at marked down and sent over to the manor if you want to study the symbols more." The guardsman steps up to Relgar and puts a hand on the man's shoulder. "Please do not draw on there," he whispers in the wizard's ear. Relgar doesn't seem to hear him.

"Is, is he all right?" Maste Rosenberg asks with concern.

"I'm sure he's fine, Rosey," Rhodes replies while distracting the Master of the Golden Lantern. "I'm sure he's just overcome with divine reverence and it swept him away. Come, come," Rhodes leads Rosenberg out of the hall. "We should have a quick drink before I go. Nothing fancy, just some good mead."

"O-okay," Rosenberg says while glancing back towards Relgar. "If you're sure he's all right."

"It will be fine."

Elkgrar steps up next to Relgar on the other side of the draftsman and waves his hand in front of the man's eyes. Relgar barely notices. He seems to be in a trance. "Relgar, can you hear me?"

OOC: willpell, make a Will saving throw for Relgar. :D
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Thistle: Into the Ruins

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 05, 2017 5:02 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Knightfall wrote:He stops on the road and offers his hand in friendship to Thistle. "I am glad to make your acquaintance, Lady Thistle Ravenwood, and I am glad you decided to meet me at the gate. I did have some doubts." He shakes the elf woman's hand with vigor. "But we should be heading to Old city. It would be easier to head towards New City and then cut across the chasm but it would be more fun to take a shortcut through the ruins of Sem La Vah. What do you say, Lady Thistle? Up for a quick sidetrek?"

"Sure. The ruins intrigue me, so I would be more than willing to accompany you through them," Thistle responds sternly.

"Ah, you do still have an adventurous spirit," Commander Oakfirst states approvingly. "I had heard that you might have lost your stomach for hardy adventuring and were only interested in revenge. I am glad to learn otherwise."

The commander leads the way off the Riftside Road towards the bridge just beyond the edge of the walls of the Temple District, which leads through the heart of the ruins of Sem La Vah.

As they approach the bridge, the commander speaks again. "This bridge is known as the Temple Crossing. It leads to the main road that cuts through the heart of the ruins. There is a fork up ahead. The northern road is called the Diggers' Road while the southwestern road is Southedge Road. It is safer to go along the Southedge Road, but who wants to be safe?"

The commander leads the way onto the bridge, which is massive and well-maintained. Once on theother side, Thistle quickly spots the fork -- and something else. There is body in the road, which is surrounded by several men and woman in attire that looks like they are digging up old bones. In Bluffside, such workers are called archaeologists. In many other places in the world, they would be called grave robbers.

"Hmm, I really hadn't expected anything like this today," Commander Oakfirst says with some concern. He shouts out them. "Here now! What is all this about?"

The men and woman are startled by his shouting. Another digger, a woman, sits on the ground, holding her side. She looks like she's been clawed by an animal. A man tries to tend to her wound, but he seems lost.

Another man, in a funny-looking, circular hat, is the first to speak up. "Thank the gods someone has come! We weren't sure if the boy made it to the Temple District."

"What boy?"

"You mean Landis didn't come and get you?" The man says forlornly. "The beast must have got him."

"Tell me what happened here? Quickly!" Commander Oakfirst goes to check on the man lying motionless on the ground. He points towards the woman and says to Thistle. "Do what you can for her."

"th-there were five of them. I don't know what they were but they looked reptilian, but there was something unnatural about them. Not spirits or any other sort of undead." The man is shaking. "We came out early to start up a new dig. The dawn was just peaking over the mountains."

"Damn it, man! It is not safe to come out here that early. Didn't anyone in the ArchGuild teach you anything? Did Cephalous approve you coming out here this early?"

"He doesn't know we're here. We wanted to take some initiative," the man looks at the fallen man on the road. "Will Petr be alright?"

Oakfirst stands and sighs. "He's dead. There is nothing I can do for him."

One of the other woman and younger man, barely out of his teens, begin to cry for their lost friend.

"No time for mourning right now," Oakfirst commands. "We must get you back to the Temple District and then I will send out some Regulars to hunt down these creatures."

"No, this cannot wait," the wounded woman gasps. "The beasts have Roland. They dragged him away. He was still alive. you have to go find him now!"

"Can any of you fight?" Oakfirst asks.

"No." The headman answers. "We had a few Sem La Vah Redux guards with us, but they perished under the clubs of the attackers."

"Wait! I thought you said these were beasts?"

"They were, sort of. Their hands ended in sharp claws, but they also carried clubs and threw some sort of deadly magical ring through the air. It nearly took off a guard's head. The guards told us to flee, but Margeri couldn't make it past here. We sent Landis ahead to tell the guards at the Temple Gate."

"Damn! I need more guards," Commander Oakfirst looks at Thistle. "I need you to get these people out of here and bring back more guards from the gate, at least half of them. I will hold the bridge and make sure these creatures do not come across."

"No, it won't matter! They had batlike wings. One of them swooped down on us!" The crying woman whimpers. "You have to get us all out of here now!"

"B-but, Roland. We cannot leave him!" The wounded woman begs.

All of a sudden an ungodly roar emanates from somewhere deeper in the ruins. Oakfirst instinctively draws his blade and looks skyward. He sees nothing but moves ahead towards the noise to block anything that comes out of the ruins.

"Hells!" Oakfirst swears. "Not now!" He looks at Thistle over his shoulder. His eyes are determined and fierce. "Take them out of here. Now!"

OOC: What do you want Thistle to do?

FYI, In my previous post I got my directions mixed up. Oakfirst and Thistle would have traveled not towards the Wizard District but just beyond the roadway leading into the Temple District and onto the Riftside Road, which leads either towards the Mining District (to the south) or towards the Military District (to the northeast). Sorry for any confusion.

ArchGuild is my in-game nickname for the Archaeological Guild. It's also called the Diggers union and the Ruinrats by its detractors.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri May 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Thistle shouts "One of you take the wounded to the Temple of Arn, tell them that Thistle Ravenwood sent you! I suspect my healing powers are going to be needed here after the forthcoming battle. The rest of you alert the city guards that half their number are needed here by order of Commander Oakfirst and myself!"

Thistle meets Commander Oakfirsts eyes. "I am with you, right here and right now. Whatever evil is stirring, you are going to need my help in vanquishing it!," she mentally attritions herself against the fight and readies her sword.

After the archaeologists have made good distance Thistle yells in Old Speak at the top of her lungs, "By the light of Arn I command the evil here to reveal itself!"
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 8237
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Malathéa

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby MacConnell » Sat May 06, 2017 7:40 pm

OOC: My apologies but I have become a little lost following the posts. Are Oakfirst and Thistle separate from us others?
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Knightfall » Sat May 06, 2017 11:31 pm

MacConnell wrote:OOC: My apologies but I have become a little lost following the posts. Are Oakfirst and Thistle separate from us others?

OOC: Yes, they aren't where the other PCs are at the moment. Thistle will meet up with the other PCs soon.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Phelix sends his regards...

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 4:00 am

Relgar hears a voice whispering in his mind as he becomes fascinated by a sigil on the wall. "Enjoy the pain." The sigil seems to wink and him and glows around its edges. Then there is a black beam that erupts from the wall and hits Relgar's shoulder. His skin tears and bleeds where it hits him. "And thank you for the warning that you and your allies are near. My master send his regards, wizard." Relgar hears another voice in his head -- a different voice casting some sort of arcane spell. Relgar tries to determine the nature of the spell being cast. Maybe if he can determine the type, but, no, too much pain. "And now something for all of you." The second voice whispers before laughing manically.

OOC: Spellcraft check > 1d20+3=10+5=15+2=17 (failure) | Relgar's Reflex save > 1d20+6=12+2=14 (success, half damage)

Widened Fireball Trap (40 ft. by 40 ft.): 8d6=37
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Fireball trap

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 07, 2017 6:36 am

After the beam hits Relgar, another sigil flashes causing a fiery blast to engulf the hall and just beyond the doorway. The flames singe Custodio nearly to the bone and the cleric cries out in agony. He falls to his knees while grabbing at his face. Both Elkgrar and Relgar mange to gut out the flames but he too is burned. The flames rush at Terger, Thersean, and Tim and the two are caught in range of the trap as well.

Just beyond the hall's doorway, the flames rush out to engulf both Rhodes and Rosenberg. The Elite guard manages to avoid the worst of the flames but the fireball catches the Master of the Golden Lantern completely by surpise. He is burnt badly and cries in pain and is soon rolling on the floor. Rhodes moves to put the man out.

"Rosey!" Rhodes yells.

OOC: Need Reflex saving throws (DC 14) for Terger and Thersean. Being in the hall grants a +2 circumstance bonus to the save.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby dfryer36 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:06 am

OOC: 1d20+4+2=14 for Terger's Reflex Save. Terger has Evasion so he takes no damage on a successful save.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 08, 2017 3:53 am

dfryer36 wrote:OOC: 1d20+4+2=14 for Terger's Reflex Save. Terger has Evasion so he takes no damage on a successful save.

As the fireball spreads through the room, Terger quickly ducks behind a stout table and turns it up to block the flames rushing at him. He grits his teeth and pulls his cloak over his head. The flames lick at him but do not burn him.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Tim gasps with surprise as the fireball spell goes off. He tries to get out of range, but to no avail; he suffers the full brunt of the blast, and falls to the ground, not screaming, but rolling around in shock, trying to douse the flames.

"Syvatagor's Teeth!" he exclaims.


OOC: Current hit pts = 15. Full hit pts = 52.
Last edited by Tellerian Hawke on Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby willpell » Mon May 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Relgar dives for cover as the fireball erupts; the pain of the small contusion which erupted on his chest is quickly forgotten as the outer edge of the flames washes over him. He flies across the hall and rolls several times side-over-side, fighting for consciousness and rapidly losing.

(20 damage versus a wizard with 6d4 hit points probably equals near-death, and almost certainly a KO.)
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Aftermath

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim gasps with surprise as the fireball spell goes off. He tries to get out of range, but to no avail; he suffers the full brunt of the blast, and falls to the ground, not screaming, but rolling around in shock, trying to douse the flames.

"Syvatagor's Teeth!" he exclaims.

Terger quickly moves to help put out the flames on Tim. The two of them soon have the flames out. Several of the inn's guards quickly appear to help put out the flames. Several wall hanging had been lit by the flames and a single wooden chair has to be doused with water.

"Who did this?" One of the guards asks. He looks around for a suspect to skewer with his sword.

"It was some sort of hidden magical trap," Custodio replies. He is in agony. Almost all his clothes are burned away. He looks at Relgar and sees the wizard is also hurt bad, but Relgar's clothes are more intact.

"It has to be Phelix," Elkgrar suggests. "Somehow, he knew we were here."

willpell wrote:Relgar dives for cover as the fireball erupts; the pain of the small contusion which erupted on his chest is quickly forgotten as the outer edge of the flames washes over him. He flies across the hall and rolls several times side-over-side, fighting for consciousness and rapidly losing.

Elkgrar does his best to help Relgar put out the flames. A Guardian douses the wizard with water, which shocks Relgar back to consciousness. He is hurt badly but not quite dead yet.

He hears the dwarf's suggestion that Phelix placed the trap and quickly agrees with that fact in his mind. But it doesn't make sense that the sorcerer would know that they'd come to the inn at this exact time. He quickly comes to the realization that Phelix placed the traps here in case anyone came looking for him. The voices he'd heard never referred to him by name. They only called him 'wizard', so the traps were laid for someone smart enough to stumble upon the first trap, which activated the second trap.

Placing it here was either a stroke of genius or damn good luck. There wasn't likely any way to find out how long it had been in the temple. It could have been dormant for months, just waiting for someone to activate it. Relgar searches his memory, through the pain. Someone had mention the sorcerer's name while talking with Rosenberg. Likely, the trap had some sort of trigger that could detect if a speaker used the sorcerer's truename. (Knowing that could be useful.)

"I don't see how that is possible," Custodio answers Elkgrar. The cleric quickly casts a healing spell on himself (using his holy symbol tattoo, which he barely protected) and then moves to help both Relgar and Tim.

Elkgrar does the same for himself, Master Rosenberg, and Rhodes. "I don't know how else to explain it."

"Where is this Phelix person?" the guard asks angrily. "Point me to him and I will deal with him myself."

"Reiner, it is not that simple," Rosenberg replies weakly from the corridor. "Phelix is the renegade sorcerer that is being hunted for by the Regulars and this new fellowship. I don't know how he got in here, but I want every door and every magical seal rechecked! Go!"

"Yes Master," Reiner replies. He and the other guards quickly exit the hall, disappearing down several corridors of the inn.

"Let me help you up, Rosey," Rhodes insists. He helps the innkeeper to his feet. Rhodes sees that his old friend is still badly burned. He looks at Elkgrar and then Terger. "This is now personal. I'm with you to the end."

"We should get out of this hall," Elkgrar suggests. "and it should be sealed off. There could be more traps."

Custodio helps Relgar to his feet. "How are you, Relgar?"

OOC: Custodio casts cure light wounds on himself > 1d8+4=8; cure moderate wounds on Relgar > 2d8+4=15; Cure moderate wounds on Tim > 2d8+4=16

Elkgrar casts cure moderate wounds on himself > 2d8+4=16; Cure moderate wounds on Rosenberg > 2d8+4=7; Cure light wounds on Rhodes > 1d8+4=11
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue May 09, 2017 5:45 pm

OOC: Current hit pts after healing = 31. [Full hit pts = 52.]
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Tim bows to Custodio as he regains his feet, the painful burns now reduced to red, irritated skin, a minor annoyance; "Thank you kind sir, I am in your debt."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: Aftermath

Postby willpell » Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Knightfall wrote:Elkgrar does his best to help Relgar put out the flames. A Guardian douses the wizard with water, which shocks Relgar back to consciousness. He is hurt badly but not quite dead yet.

He hears the dwarf's suggestion that Phelix placed the trap and quickly agrees with that fact in his mind. But it doesn't make sense that the sorcerer would know that they'd come to the inn at this exact time. He quickly comes to the realization that Phelix placed the traps here in case anyone came looking for him. The voices he'd heard never referred to him by name. They only called him 'wizard', so the traps were laid for someone smart enough to stumble upon the first trap, which activated the second trap.

Placing it here was either a stroke of genius or damn good luck. There wasn't likely any way to find out how long it had been in the temple. It could have been dormant for months, just waiting for someone to activate it. Relgar searches his memory, through the pain. Someone had mention the sorcerer's name while talking with Rosenberg. Likely, the trap had some sort of trigger that could detect if a speaker used the sorcerer's truename. (Knowing that could be useful.)

Custodio helps Relgar to his feet. "How are you, Relgar?"

OOC: Custodio casts cure light wounds on himself > 1d8+4=8; cure moderate wounds on Relgar > 2d8+4=15; Cure moderate wounds on Tim > 2d8+4=16


"Better now," Relgar says tersely, still shaken by the holocaust. The knowledge that he was hunting an extremely dangerous character has been brought home more than he had been prepared for; not being the type of wizard who habitually goes about in a pointy hat, hanging out in taverns and recruiting malcontents for his errands, he had actually thought until now that he could get through his life without facing mortal peril, but it seems that "adventure" has managed to find him nonetheless. "I believe our foe has been in the habit of priming his traps to detect when he's being spoken of by name, and that we should get out of the habit of doing so. Also I must apologetically admit that I stepped on the 'pressure plate' in that case; the fireball trap was keyed to another, individually weaker trap which was specifically aimed at capturing the eye of an arcanist. In future, I would suggest that if you see me becoming unduly fascinated by some obscure symbol, you reflexively get yourself to a safe distance and prepare to take action; for my part I will attempt to avoid succumbing to such lures, but I know better than to think I will invariably succeed in that effort."
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Wed May 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Relgar wrote:"I believe our foe has been in the habit of priming his traps to detect when he's being spoken of by name, and that we should get out of the habit of doing so..."


Tim heartily agrees, saying, "Perhaps we should invent a nickname for him? How about something mundane, yet obscure, such as Bartholomew? We could call him Bart, for short."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

In the Ruins of Sem La Vah

Postby Knightfall » Wed May 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Thistle shouts "One of you take the wounded to the Temple of Arn, tell them that Thistle Ravenwood sent you! I suspect my healing powers are going to be needed here after the forthcoming battle. The rest of you alert the city guards that half their number are needed here by order of Commander Oakfirst and myself!"

"Sofija is in no condition to be moved like this," the headman snaps back. "Commander, why does this guard not do as you command?"

"Lady Thistle is not a Regular," Oakfirst looks at the elf paladin. He is clearly upset she's chosen to not do as he asks. "If she was, I'd have her kicked out of the guards for disobeying orders during a crisis." Oakfirst walks over to the wounded woman and checks on her. "But, you are right, she won't even make it across the bridge." He pulls out a potion bottle and gives it to her. "Drink this, dear lady. It will make you strong enough to go with the others."

The woman drinks the potion and the worst of her wounds knit. The others help her to her feet. Oakfirst then pulls out a signal whistle and blasts on it three times. He hands it to the headman. "When you get across the bridge, blow this just like I did. The guards should be able to hear it. Now, go as fast as you can!"

The diggers move towards the bridge slowly. All of them are scared and ragged. Oakfirst watches them go while keeping one eye on the sky.

Thistle meets Commander Oakfirsts eyes. "I am with you, right here and right now. Whatever evil is stirring, you are going to need my help in vanquishing it!," she mentally attritions herself against the fight and readies her sword.

"And the next time I ask you to do something, I would appreciate it if you would just do it," Oakfirst says plainly. "While I might be old, I am tougher than I look, and I've seen decades of fighting through Bluffside's streets and on bloody battlefields."

After the archaeologists have made good distance Thistle yells in Old Speak at the top of her lungs, "By the light of Arn I command the evil here to reveal itself!"

Her challenge is quickly answered by the same roar as before. And then another. Soon five winged figures rise into the sky n the distance. Three of them are 120 feet away and heading straight towards Oakfirst and Thistle. The other two are closer, about 50 feet away, and near the canyon edge. They wing towards the bridge and the fleeing diggers.

The headman panics and begins blasting on the signal whistle randomly and as loudly as he can.

Thistle can barely see the upper half of the Temple Gate in the distance across the canyon. There is no way to know if the guards stationed there can see the winged creatures from their vantage point or hear the signal whistle's shrill sound. The winged creatures fly low to the ground, staying just above the top of ruins.

"You don't have a choice now!" Oakfirst yells at Thistle. "They won't make it across the bridge without you! I will try to bring the other three to me!"

He yells out his own cry of defiance. His bellow booms across the ruins like a great beast protecting his territory. He rushes down the wide road away from the bridge and then stops. He turns towards the winged foes and holds his sword high in challenge. "To me, foul beasts! For the glory of BLUFFSIDE!"

Thistle has only moments to act before the winged creatures will be on the diggers at the bridge.

OOC: Oakfirst's Initiative roll > 1d20+5=22 | I'll roll initative for the winged creatures on the OOC thread.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Init. 20+2=22

"May Arn be with you," Thistle yells to Oakfist. She runs to cover the rear of the commoners as they make their way across the bridge.
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
 
Posts: 8237
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Location: Malathéa

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby MacConnell » Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Thersean, after demonstrating an, as yet unknown to the group, ability to move rather quickly, seemed to fall into a momentary lapse of cognition. As he regains his feet and his composure, he brushes some singe from his clothing, content that he is completely unhurt. With considerable more volume than he is ever prone to use in normal conversation.
"I am not merely a disciple of Aumentator. Like Custudio, I too have clerical abilities. I will gladly aide those of you who are still injured as we try to determine the best course of action to pursue."

OOC: Thersean will cast cure light on those still injured. Dm, please feel free to make rolls if I am unavailable.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds

Re: Aftermath

Postby dfryer36 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Knightfall wrote:Terger quickly moves to help put out the flames on Tim. The two of them soon have the flames out. Several of the inn's guards quickly appear to help put out the flames. Several wall hanging had been lit by the flames and a single wooden chair has to be doused with water.

"Who did this?" One of the guards asks. He looks around for a suspect to skewer with his sword.

"It was some sort of hidden magical trap," Custodio replies. He is in agony. Almost all his clothes are burned away. He looks at Relgar and sees the wizard is also hurt bad, but Relgar's clothes are more intact.

"It has to be Phelix," Elkgrar suggests. "Somehow, he knew we were here."

"If that is the case we must move quickly." Terger says. "We'll have to go without the extra resources we might have been able to put together."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
User avatar
dfryer36
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah

Back to Oakfirst manor

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim bows to Custodio as he regains his feet, the painful burns now reduced to red, irritated skin, a minor annoyance; "Thank you kind sir, I am in your debt."

"No debt require, that's why I'm here," Custodio replies. "But I'll take a good drink and meal after Phelix is in his grave."

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Custodio helps Relgar to his feet. "How are you, Relgar?"

"Better now," Relgar says tersely, still shaken by the holocaust. The knowledge that he was hunting an extremely dangerous character has been brought home more than he had been prepared for; not being the type of wizard who habitually goes about in a pointy hat, hanging out in taverns and recruiting malcontents for his errands, he had actually thought until now that he could get through his life without facing mortal peril, but it seems that "adventure" has managed to find him nonetheless. "I believe our foe has been in the habit of priming his traps to detect when he's being spoken of by name, and that we should get out of the habit of doing so. Also I must apologetically admit that I stepped on the 'pressure plate' in that case; the fireball trap was keyed to another, individually weaker trap which was specifically aimed at capturing the eye of an arcanist. In future, I would suggest that if you see me becoming unduly fascinated by some obscure symbol, you reflexively get yourself to a safe distance and prepare to take action; for my part I will attempt to avoid succumbing to such lures, but I know better than to think I will invariably succeed in that effort."

"Or tackle you to the ground and hope for the bes," Custodio says. "You might be our best chance at find Ph-, him."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Relgar wrote:"I believe our foe has been in the habit of priming his traps to detect when he's being spoken of by name, and that we should get out of the habit of doing so..."

Tim heartily agrees, saying, "Perhaps we should invent a nickname for him? How about something mundane, yet obscure, such as Bartholomew? We could call him Bart, for short."

"Or something completely inane like, hmm, Waldobert," Elkgrar muses. "So, where do we think this Waldo is hiding, eh?"

MacConnell wrote:Thersean, after demonstrating an, as yet unknown to the group, ability to move rather quickly, seemed to fall into a momentary lapse of cognition. As he regains his feet and his composure, he brushes some singe from his clothing, content that he is completely unhurt. With considerable more volume than he is ever prone to use in normal conversation.
"I am not merely a disciple of Aumentator. Like Custudio, I too have clerical abilities. I will gladly aide those of you who are still injured as we try to determine the best course of action to pursue."

OOC: Thersean will cast cure light on those still injured. Dm, please feel free to make rolls if I am unavailable.

"Rosey," Rhodes insists.

"I'll be okay, Demetrios," Rosenberg says.

"I insist," Rhodes says forcefully.

Thersean quickly casts another cure on the Master Innkeeper before he can object again.

"And now, you," Rosenberg insists to Rhodes.

"Sure, I'm not proud," he says with a laugh. He nods to Thersean who casts another healing spell into Rhodes.

"Are we all good now?" Rhodes asks. "Tim, you okay?"

OOC: Cure on Rosenberg > 1d8+3=5; Cure on Rhodes > 1d8+3=7

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Terger quickly moves to help put out the flames on Tim. The two of them soon have the flames out. Several of the inn's guards quickly appear to help put out the flames. Several wall hanging had been lit by the flames and a single wooden chair has to be doused with water.

"Who did this?" One of the guards asks. He looks around for a suspect to skewer with his sword.

"It was some sort of hidden magical trap," Custodio replies. He is in agony. Almost all his clothes are burned away. He looks at Relgar and sees the wizard is also hurt bad, but Relgar's clothes are more intact.

"It has to be Phelix," Elkgrar suggests. "Somehow, he knew we were here."

"If that is the case we must move quickly." Terger says. "We'll have to go without the extra resources we might have been able to put together."

"I agree," Custodio says. "We'll need to ruffle some feathers on this one, which is fine with me."

"Master Rosenberg," Elkgrar says. "Sorry about all this trouble. We will find this, what did we decide on calling him? Well, this renegade and bring him to justice one way or the other."

"It's a bit of mess, but the Golden Lantern been through much worse. My people will manage." Rosenberg looks at his own attire and that of Custodio and Tim's. "You two cannot leave my inn looking like that. The scandal it would cause!" He snaps his fingers and several nearby servants rush to find some decent clothes for the two adventurers to wear back to the manor. What they receive is almost as good as what they came in wearing. "Anyone else?"

"I think the rest of us are fine, Rosey," Rhodes hugs the man and then pats him on the back. "Thanks for the information. I'll be back to see you when I can."

"Time to go," Custodio says to Relgar. He brushes some ash off of the draftmage's shoulder. "Back to the manor and then off to find Bart."

"I like Waldo better," Elkgrar says.

"Less talking and more walking," Rhodes leads the way out of the inn. They go out the side door and head down the street and through the inner gate that separates the Lantern Ward from the Sublime Ward. It takes a bit of time to make their way back to Oakfirst Manor where Livia is waiting to greet them as they open the door.

"What happened to you!" She seemed more cross than worried. "All those nice clothes singed." She looks at Custodio and Tim. "And where are you're other clothes, hmm?"

"Burnt to cinders," Custodio replies dryly. "The renegade laid a trap in the Golden Lantern. I don't know if it was meant for us or just him being paranoid."

"I vote paranoid," Rhodes agrees. "Livia, we have a lead on this bastard. He might be hiding out near the old Growers' Gate. We're going to go check it out right now. Where's Reg?"

"Commander Oakfirst isn't back yet," Livia replies. "Do you think it's wise to rush in without backup?"

"Right now, I don't care," Rhodes says in anger. "That bastard hurt a friend of mine!"

Livia looks at the others with concern, as Rhodes gathers his gear together from the wardrobe. Custodio follows suit and asks Livia to help him with his armor.

Elkgrar looks at the others and says, "Let's get ready."
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Tim says, "I'm a quick healer, but I could probably use one more small dose, just to relieve the stiffness."

Once back at the house, Tim gets into his full combat gear. Now that the fugitive in question has harmed innocence in Tim's sight, there will be no relenting, no mercy. Only swift Justice.
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby MacConnell » Sat May 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim says, "I'm a quick healer, but I could probably use one more small dose, just to relieve the stiffness."

Thersean walks over and lays a hand on Tim's shoulder -
"Rest easy my new friend. My skill is not yet exhausted."

[ooc: Cast Cure Light: 1d8+3 = 7
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds

Re: [D&D 3.5 PbP] Kulan: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm

OOC: Current hit pts after healing = 38. [Full hit pts = 52.]

Tim responds to Thersean with a smile, "You are most kind. Thank you."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests