[Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Into Wyndlasmere House

Postby Knightfall » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:46 am

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"Uhm, there is no need for that," Alserda apologizes. "In my vigor to do my duty, I have offended your companions. I only hope Master Alela will forgive my hubris and choose not to have me banned from the city." She steps towards Terger and goes down on one knee. "I am a proud servant of the city and The Five. Please forgive me!"

"There was no offense guardsmen. You were defending your post. There is no shame in that," Terger tells Alserda. "You showed bravery, integrity, and judgement. In fact when I see Captain Oakfirst again I intend to recommend you both for commendations."

"You are most gracious, Master Alela," she replies with her head bowed. "I will try to live up to the accolades you present to Commander Oakfirst on my behalf."

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"What do they say?" Rhodes whispers to Custodio.

"Then, you'll have to read them for yourself," the guardsman replies. "If he lets you."

"You are free to peruse my papers if you wish Lord Rhodes, although for now only you and Custodio may look at them." He turns to the others and shrugs. "Sorry, but trust me when I say it's for your protection that you are better off not know what's in those documents. Some secrets are better left undiscovered."

"Maybe later," Rhodes replies. "Right now, we have other concerns."

"I don't need to see them," Custodio says. "We've fought and bled together and that is enough for me."

"While we have yet to fight together," Elkgrar says. "If Oakfirst trusts you enough to bring us together then that is all I need to know, for now."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Rhodes wrote:In this city, showing weakness can get you killed.

Tim raises his eyebrow as he scoffs at Rhodes, "So, standing up for one's ethical principles, even to the point of willingly suffering bodily harm in order to adhere to them, is considered weak? If that's what passes for weak in this world, I don't want to be strong."

"His view isn't my view, Tim," Custodio notes. "But, remember, he was imprisoned for some time and without a proper trial. A bit of paranoia goes a long way while in the Dungeon."

"I saw enough corruption before I was sent to Dungeon to make me wary of showing weakness while doing my duties," Rhodes replies. "But, then again, a lot of my time was spent in New City and in the Undercity, where black and white often mixed into a muddy gray."

Rhodes turns to Tim. "I do admire you convictions, Tim, but don't expect our enemies to fight with honor. Simply trust those that stand by your side and fight for more than just the glory of the city. Admire those that fight for others who can't fight for themselves while being wary of those who smile at your face and stab at your back."

"I doubt there will be honor amongst You-Know-Who's minions," Elkgrar adds. "But I can attest to the fact that sometimes politics get in the way of justice. When that happens, we must stick to our convictions or become as bad as those who work to undermine Bluffside's society."

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Alserda scrambles to her feet and passes Terger's documents to Towermaster Monderand. He looks at them with keen interest while Alserda whispers in his ear and points at Terger. The dwarven towermaster looks at Terger with an amused grin. He carefully folds the papers back up and steps towards Terger.

"Hmm, while you don't look like much, I'm betting there is a fire in you," he says while handing the papers back. "I'm sorry if Mareike bruised your ego. She can be a firebrand when angered. She must learn to temper her temper."

"Ah well, misunderstandings are a hazard in my line of work sir," Terger chuckles. "But no I took no offense from your guardsman doing her duty. As I told her I intend to recommend both of them for commendations once our investigation is over."

"That is good to hear," Towermaster Monderand replies. "If you write up something official, I would like a copy for our paymaster."

willpell wrote:Glad to have the confrontation defused without requiring his involvement, Relgar wastes no mental energy thinking about Terger's mysterious documents; he agrees that some knowledge is dangerous to have, but more to the point, much knowledge is simply uninteresting trivia, and he cannot afford to clutter up his mind with irrelevancies that will take his attention from the Universal Mathematics, which consume most of his concentration and can misfire drastically if his thoughts wander too far from their maintenance. When the towermaster addresses him about his architectural scrutiny, he mumbles something noncommittal while avoiding eye contact.

"Hmm, I see," the towermaster replies while looking at Custodio.

The Elite waves his hand in resignation while shaking his head. He mouths the words, 'don't worry about it'. The dwarf snorts once and crosses his arms while staring at the house for any signs of what Relgar was looking at.

MacConnell wrote:Thersean laughs lightly in hopes of diffusion some of the residual tension.

"I hope this does not go on record as a diplomatic engagement for me. Tensions are really on edge. We should quickly proceed with this investigation. I believe it is implicative in all the heightened tension."

"No need for formality," Alel says while stroking his beard. "Why kick a dead mule in the rump when there are more important matters?" The towermaster turns to Custodio. "So, my friend, what is this mission of yours, eh?"

"We should probably discuss that inside," Custodio replies while motioning towards several citizens who have been watching the exchange take place. "Away from any prying eyes."

"Nothing to see here," Mareike Alserda snaps at the mulling citizens. There are some whispery gossip in the crowd which seems to be made up of young nobles and a few waifish maids carrying baskets or other trade tools. Her words sends some of them scurrying back to their daily routine. A few young males take offense at the harsh words but once the towermaster steps forwards and begins tapping one boot on the cobbles, the rest move on as well.

"Zavier, lad, check the grounds of the house. Make sure there aren't any more skulkers around looking to make mischief."

"Yes sir!" A young human man, barely into his mid-20s, salutes the towermaster and moves off towards the far end of the second building.

"And tell Kai that I want to see him later when his shift is over," the towermaster booms loud enough for all to hear.

The guard turns, nods, and salutes again before continuing on his patrol.

"Guardian Alserda, you are with us," he orders. Then he turns to the guard named Bronte. "Arcanus Abelner, take command of the entryway for now. I will have Mr. Causer come be your relief in two hours."

"Yes sir," the guard replies quietly with a graceful bow.

"Bring your companions, Custodio," Alel says with a smile. "We shall gather in the manor's old dining hall and there you can tell me what you need of me."

The Towermaster leads the group up the stairs and into a fine arcaded entryway. The high arches flanking the stairs have been blocked off with iron grates. The entry empties into a large hall that looks like it had once been used to greet guests. Now, it serves as a major guard post with two sets of double doors that exit to the left into a wide corridor.

"If you wish, you can leave your cloaks and weapons in that room, but it isn't required since Master Alela speaks for The Five," Alel motions to a small room with no door. "If your boots are muddy, however, I ask that you remove them and leave them here."

He leads the group through several winding corridors of the old manor until the group comes out into a large and long room set aside for the soldiers to eat their meals in. A set of stairs just to the right of the dining hall's open doorway. There is a large table that has seen better days, but it is kept clean and the room is tidy. Once everyone has gathered inside, the towermaster closes and locks the door. He has Mareike Alserda close the other door on the far side of the room. She stands guard in front of it after locking it.

Against the room's left wall is a large fireplace that smolders. Four windows are spread evenly on the right wall with two of them, closest to the two doors, being large terraced windows. The two center windows are shuttered while heavy draperies hang across the terraced windows. The towermaster adds several logs to the fireplace and sits down in front of it.

"Now, your mission?" He asks.

"We are hunting a renegade sorcerer," Custodio replies. "A man named Phelix Del Cannitha. He caused the destruction in New City, and we believe he is here in Old City and that he has a secret lair somewhere near the Gardens."

"He might be hiding in one of the towers of the old Growers' Gate," Rhodes adds.

"Hmm, I don't see how that would be possible. The main entry points were walled up with stone and the windows were boarded up. We do have one open entry point, but it and the tower's interior is checked for vermin and anything else that might have gotten in there."

"Of course, that is the tower on this side of the old gate," Guardian Alserda adds. "The tower on the Gardens side is used and patrolled more often."

"Yes," Alel nods. "Watches are routine there, although the Gardens' guards aren't all Elites. They are good men and woman, but their duties are considered less important since the Gardens are sectioned off from Old City. If they were penetrated by an enemy force, the gates leading into Old City could be sealed at a moments notice."

He looks at Custodio, "Why do you think this renegade would hold up around here, eh? This is a major garrison, and I find it hard to believe he would go unnoticed by my guards. Well, at least, he'd have to have significant magic to hide from us. Émilienne and the other tower wizards constantly are on the look out for magical troubles on this side. And she also walks the walls surrounding the Gardens, just to be safe."

"A lead that was uncovered under New City points to the Gardens," Custodio replies while looking at Terger. "And while speaking with Master Rosenberg over at The Golden Lantern, there was an incident. A fire trap went off, which was placed by the renegade to kill anyone that spoke his name in the Temple Hall."

"Well, that's certainly compelling," Towermaster Monderand looks at Terger. "Master Alela, I assume you are leading this investigation. What else can you tell me about what you might be looking for or need from me?"
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Into Wyndlasmere House

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Knightfall wrote:
"Well, that's certainly compelling," Towermaster Monderand looks at Terger. "Master Alela, I assume you are leading this investigation. What else can you tell me about what you might be looking for or need from me?"
"I am the lead on this investigation yes," Terger says, "however, I must defer to Custodio in matters of logistics. He knows the region better than I. If it was left to me we would end up chasing our tails for days."
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

The Long Gallery

Postby Knightfall » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:12 am

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"Well, that's certainly compelling," Towermaster Monderand looks at Terger. "Master Alela, I assume you are leading this investigation. What else can you tell me about what you might be looking for or need from me?"

"I am the lead on this investigation yes," Terger says, "however, I must defer to Custodio in matters of logistics. He knows the region better than I. If it was left to me we would end up chasing our tails for days."

"I see," Towermaster Monderand replies. He looks at Custodio, "Where do you want to start?"

"We'd like to go into the old tower and check it out. There could be something well hidden, even from your Elites' eyes."

It would also be a good idea for you to double check this building from top to bottom," Rhodes adds. "Even if you've sealed off the house's cellars, there could be an old opening that has gone unnoticed."

"That seems reasonable," Alel replies. "Better to check everything than miss an open crack in the stonework."

"How accessible are the walls from this buildings?" Elkgrar asks.

"The first floor above us has a large room called the Long Gallery that is built right into the wall. There is an opening that leads to the wall itself. The opening sees a lot of use, however. I can't imagine that someone has passed through it or out of the room unnoticed. Guards are stationed there constantly."

"Who is there right now?" Rhodes asks.

"There are three Elites on duty there," Alel replies. "Adhara, Roman, and Christos, I believe. Roman is one of our tower wizards. The other two are longtime members of the Elites."

"I've heard of Adhara. She's one of the few sixams who has chosen to serve the city," Custodio notes. "She's received many awards for her bravery. I thought she was stationed at Rockgrave Keep."

"She asked to be reassigned to the city after making the rank of Guardian after a skirmish with half-a-dozen orc-kin," Alel replies.

"I hadn't heard about that," Custodio says.

"What about this Christos fellow," Rhodes adds. "What's his last name?"

"Abbate."

"I was wondering if it was him," Rhodes replies. "He's a good soldier. well, he was when I knew him. I would have thought he'd mustered out of the guards by now."

"The commanders tried to get him to retire, but he refused. Some thought he'd get ostracized but his family is powerful, and he has some renown."

"That's an understatement," Rhodes scoffs.

"well, he agreed to a quiet posting, which is why he is here. Of course, after he was posted here, Wyndlasmere House became a prestige posting in Old city. When I was offered my own command, I chose this one because he chooses to stay here."

"I'm surprised he's not your commander," Rhodes says.

"He chose to take the rank of Sentinel when he agreed to be assigned here," Alel replies.

"Ah, he's your defacto priest," Rhodes says. "He gives up his chance to advance to a higher rank for the privilege or remaining an Elite for the rest of his life."

"Yes, he's happy," Alel replies. "And he still has a sharp eye even if he's lost much of his vigor in his old age."

"But don't call him old," Mareike adds with wide grin. "He'll challenge you to a wrestling match."

"Aye," the tall dwarf says with a nod.

"We'd like to check out that room, its opening, and the way to the wall," Custodio says with a glance towards the others. "And we'll need unseal the tower. Once we're sure there is nothing there, we'll help you seal it up again."

"Fine, fine," Alel agrees. "I will have our other Arcanus help dispel the wards and several guards will keep watch while you are inside. Do you need any backup?"

"No, I think we should be able to handle it," Rhodes replies. After all, that's why we're here."

The towermaster nods and then stands. He mtions towards the door that Guardian Alserda has been guarding. She unlocks the door and leads the way out of the hall and into an ornate room with a reddish design. It isn't garish but it is bold. The group passes through another door into a smaller room with four tables. There are cards and chips on the tables but no one is using them at the moment. There is also a wooden plank with three circles on it. There are two daggers sticking in the wood. The three circles are arranged in a triangle. In the center is a tiny square.

A door in the left wall leads out of the room empties into a short corridor. There is a metal staircase in an alcove that ascends to the floor above. The way up is tight and Tim nearly gets stuck. The landing empties out into a very narrow corridor that is parallel with the corridor on the main floor. Guardian Alserda leads the way to the right into a large library with dozens of shelves lined with books on various topics. At the end of the room to the left is a closed door.

"This door leads into the Long Gallery," she says.

"I will introduce them," Alel says. "Go and fetch Arcanus Jardine."

"Yes sir," she replies. She bows her head to Terger before heading through the library towards another door parallel to the other, which the towermaster opens.

"We have visitors, Christos," Alel says as he enters. "They are here on behalf of the The Five."

The Long Gallery is massive compared to the other rooms that you've passed through it takes up the entire length of the buildings northernmost section. It is easy t tell that this was once a place where artwork was once displayed, but now it acts as a military workroom. There end closest to you is set aside for sparring while the far end is filled with weapons and armor behind a iron portcullis. In the center of the long room are a dozen tables ordered around a central workbench. The rooms old fireplace has been converted into a makeshift forge.

There are four people present. The oldest is likely Christos Abbate. He is tall man who stands at the workbench. He seems to be tooling some leather -- an old piece of armor. He looks up and nods to Alel. The other three are middle-aged members of the Elite. They all salute the towermaster when he enters. There is a human male who stands near the Sentinel. The piece of armor being worked on is his, due to his uncovered torso.

The other two are a male half-elf and a female sixam ieuna. The winged woman is graceful to behold as are all her people.

"Roman. Adhara, at ease," Alel insists. "You are not being inspected." He turns to the other man who is a bit younger. "What happened, Morse?"

"A torn strap, sir," the man replies. "Nothing serious."

"Very well," Alel replies. He motions to the group. "This group is working for The Five to catch a dangerous criminal. You will answer there questions." He nods to the half-elf named Roman. "They wish to see the way onto the tower and they will be given access to the tower near the old Growers' Gate. Show them the way," he orders. He turns to Morse. "Since you're idle, go fetch some tools and some help to break through into the tower."

"Yes sir."

"And put on your tunic," Alel orders. "You are not a bordello fellow."

"Y-yes, sir," Morse salutes again and gathers up his tunic. He exits the room through another door on the far side of the room.

Towermaster Monderand looks at Custodio. "I must attend to my duties and have a patrol sent to inspect the entire manor. I will check in with you later, old friend."

Custodio nods. The towermaster heads out the way the group entered leaving them with the Sentinel and two other guards.

"You have questions, do you?" Sentinel Abbate asks.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Knightfall wrote:"He might be hiding in one of the towers of the old Growers' Gate," Rhodes adds.

"Hmm, I don't see how that would be possible. The main entry points were walled up with stone and the windows were boarded up. We do have one open entry point, but it and the tower's interior is checked for vermin and anything else that might have gotten in there."

"Of course, that is the tower on this side of the old gate," Guardian Alserda adds. "The tower on the Gardens side is used and patrolled more often."

"Yes," Alel nods. "Watches are routine there, although the Gardens' guards aren't all Elites. They are good men and woman, but their duties are considered less important since the Gardens are sectioned off from Old City. If they were penetrated by an enemy force, the gates leading into Old City could be sealed at a moments notice."

He looks at Custodio, "Why do you think this renegade would hold up around here, eh? This is a major garrison, and I find it hard to believe he would go unnoticed by my guards. Well, at least, he'd have to have significant magic to hide from us. Émilienne and the other tower wizards constantly are on the look out for magical troubles on this side. And she also walks the walls surrounding the Gardens, just to be safe."

"I would advise you to be wary of making assumptions with regard to what our foe is capable of," Relgar inputs. "A sufficiently advanced arcanist can accomplish virtually anything, and in particular there are entire disciplines of study devoted to confounding the perceptions of other mages. Neither eyes nor scrying sensors are foolproof; nothing should be taken for granted."
willpell
White Dragon

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"He might be hiding in one of the towers of the old Growers' Gate," Rhodes adds.

"I would advise you to be wary of making assumptions with regard to what our foe is capable of," Relgar inputs. "A sufficiently advanced arcanist can accomplish virtually anything, and in particular there are entire disciplines of study devoted to confounding the perceptions of other mages. Neither eyes nor scrying sensors are foolproof; nothing should be taken for granted."

"Our friend Relgar is correct," Terger says. "We are dealing with a man who has been able to hide his location, hells even his existence, from even The Five. Lady Pomandar is perhaps the most skilled practitioner of arts both arcane and um, more personal in nature, and even she had no information on him other than his name according to my superiors. We underestimate our foe at our peril."
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: [Kulan] D&D 3.5 PbP: Western Kanpur|Bluffside Campaign [

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:47 pm

The Dungeon Master wrote:He turns to Morse. "Since you're idle, go fetch some tools and some help to break through into the tower."

"Yes sir."

"And put on your tunic," Alel orders. "You are not a bordello fellow."

"Y-yes, sir," Morse salutes again and gathers up his tunic. He exits the room through another door on the far side of the room.

Tim nods respectfully at Sentinel Abbate: "No questions from me, the sooner I get a look in that tower, the better. No offense, but If we wait around much longer, our "friend" may decide to pick up and move out. Those types have good noses, and a good sense of when the good guys are closing in. The key to catching someone like him is speed. Hesitation simply allows him to stay one step ahead of us."
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby willpell » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 pm

dfryer36 wrote:Lady Pomandar is perhaps the most skilled practitioner of arts both arcane and um, more personal in nature."

spockbrow
willpell
White Dragon

Postby MacConnell » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Thersean is quiet for the time. He scan the tower for sign of other entry or egress, keeping a wary eye for other dangers as well.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
MacConnell
Orc

Into the Old Tower

Postby Knightfall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 pm

willpell wrote:

dfryer36 wrote:"Our friend Relgar is correct," Terger says. "We are dealing with a man who has been able to hide his location, hells even his existence, from even The Five. Lady Pomandar is perhaps the most skilled practitioner of arts both arcane and um, more personal in nature, and even she had no information on him other than his name according to my superiors. We underestimate our foe at our peril."

"Like I said, he'd have to have significant magic ability to hide from us," Alel says before heading to the door. He nods to Relgar, "I'll trust your judgment in this matter, young wizard." With that he departs.

Sentinel Abbate adds, "Émilienne is a wizard of the Sixth Order, I believe, so she's no neophyte, but she's not an arch-wizard by any means. It's possible that you renegade has been able to stay ahead of her, if he's as powerful as you say."

"I believe she made Seventh Order six months ago," Roman says. "I am of the Third Order myself, as are most of Bluffside's standing force of Tower Wizards. Most who advance beyond the Fifth Order are reassigned to other duties by the Wizard Council. Émilienne is one of the few elite Tower Wizards who chose to stay and serve."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim nods respectfully at Sentinel Abbate: "No questions from me, the sooner I get a look in that tower, the better. No offense, but If we wait around much longer, our "friend" may decide to pick up and move out. Those types have good noses, and a good sense of when the good guys are closing in. The key to catching someone like him is speed. Hesitation simply allows him to stay one step ahead of us."

"A good sensible strategy, tall one," Sentinel Abbate replies. "I will not keep you from your mission."

"Follow me," Roman says to Tim and the others. He leads them out of the Long Gallery through the opening leading to the wall of the district itself. You ascend a short flight of stone stairs up onto the 10-foot wide wall. As you look out towards the Gardens, you can see that there is a 30-foot gap in between the district's wall and the wall surrounding the Gardens. Roman takes you eastward to the old tower of the Growers' Gate. It is a tall, rectangular structure that extends another 10 feet above the wall itself. The top of the tower has crenelations that matches in design the evenly-spaced crenelations on the district's walls.

MacConnell wrote:Thersean is quiet for the time. He scan the tower for sign of other entry or egress, keeping a wary eye for other dangers as well.

Roman leads the group to where an old doorway has been sealed up with rough stone. The seal is patchwork but looks undisturbed and even has some weathering on it from the time the tower was sealed.

"This is the only way in," Roman says. "All the other entrances and windows were sealed tight with intricate stonework. All except the two windows at the top of the tower, there," Roman points to the middle of the long-part of the tower. "And another on the other side, but both windows are boarded up from inside. It isn't physically possible to get in those windows from out here without breaking in."

"I have the tools," a voice says from behind you. Morse has made himself presentable and carries with him several picks, a shovel, and an old prybar. He hands off one pick to Roman who quickly exchanges it for the shovel. Morse hands the other tools to whoever steps forward to claim them. He keeps one of the picks and starts digging at the loosely sealed stonework. He soon reveals an old reinforced wooden door behind it. Roman shovels away the loose stones into a pile to be reused later to re-seal the tower, if required.

Eventually, the guards and group manage to pull away the rest of the rough stones and Morse tests the lock to make sure it isn't damaged. He nods in approval and then pulls out an old skeleton key from his pocket. "This will open any of the tower's remaining doors, although some of them might be stuck."

"Others might simply be gone completely," Roman adds.

Morse hands the key over to Terger and salutes Custodio and Rhodes before stepping back. "We will stay here and guard the doorway," Morse says to them. "No one else will come through here, unless you request help."

Morse stands on one side of the door while Roman stands on the other side.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Sword & Shield at the ready, Tim will take the point position, being the first to step into the tower.
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Into the Old Tower

Postby Knightfall » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Sword & Shield at the ready, Tim will take the point position, being the first to step into the tower.

With Tim leading the way, the group heads into the tower. The air is musty and there is a fine layer of dust on the floor. Five inside the tower is an old iron portcullis, which is broken and bent -- from the inside. Something tried to get through it and failed. Tim tries to lift it but it is damaged beyond use. It will have to be torn out or bypassed with magic.

Beyond the portcullis, Tim can see the outline of the rectangular tower, which includes a ten-foot wide opening in the floor. He can see that the opening extends to both his right and left. The left side of the opening extends another five feet while the right side seems to extend beyond that, but Tim can't tell. The bent bars of the portcullis prevent him from seeing all the features of the room with his darkvision, although he does make note of a unlit torch sconce on the far wall opposite the portcullis. He also sees what looks like an old weapons rack in the corner of the tower to his left. He sees far to the right what might be a matching rack but its hard to see with the bent metal in the way. Another torch sconce sits on the wall on the left side of the room.

He cannot make out any other details and when a torch is lit behind him by one of the guards, it ruins his darkvision.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby dfryer36 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:42 am

"Relgar,, do you have any magic that will help us bypass this?" Terger asks.
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 am

Tellerian (OOC) wrote: You said that Tim "tried to lift it," does that mean the DC is greater than 27? (His max result?) If so, is there anything I can do to get any leverage, i.e., to give myself enough of a bonus to where it would become possible? Also, does his size make a difference? He gets +4 to grapple because of his size, so I was wondering if it would help him in this circumstance, being bigger than a normal man?
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Tellerian (OOC) wrote: You said that Tim "tried to lift it," does that mean the DC is greater than 27? (His max result?) If so, is there anything I can do to get any leverage, i.e., to give myself enough of a bonus to where it would become possible? Also, does his size make a difference? He gets +4 to grapple because of his size, so I was wondering if it would help him in this circumstance, being bigger than a normal man?

OOC: When I wrote that, I didn't mean he was making a Strength check. I was simply noting that he can't lift it normally due to the damage done to it. It is bent so badly that it won't lift more than half a foot off the floor. You can have Tim try to break it open. The DC for that is only 20 because of the damage already done to it, but it will be noisy to do so. He'd be ripping the portcullis out of the stonework.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby MacConnell » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:19 pm

(OOC) Could synergistic coordination be applied? Could Thersean aid in this attempt?
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.
MacConnell
Orc

Postby Knightfall » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 pm

MacConnell wrote:(OOC) Could synergistic coordination be applied? Could Thersean aid in this attempt?

OOC: No, there isn't enough space for Thersean to help. Tim is a large character, so he takes up the entire 5-foot space he is trying to get through. Thersean could help one of the other PCs try to get it open, but Tim is probably the best choice to break through.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 pm

After examining the portcullis, and determining that opening it will be a noisy task, Tim looks back at his compatriots, and says, "Does anyone mind the noise? Want me to try it?"
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby MacConnell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:After examining the portcullis, and determining that opening it will be a noisy task, Tim looks back at his compatriots, and says, "Does anyone mind the noise? Want me to try it?"

Seeing that there is not enough room for him to lend assistance, Thersean steps aside.
"With the amount of time and exposure we have accrued thus far, the element of surprise is likey moot. I say, give it a go."
MacConnell
Orc

Re: Into the Old Tower

Postby willpell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:12 pm

"I do not habitually use spells which are useful for bypassing barriers; I like having my privacy respected, so I have made no effort to duplicate the feats of those mages who trend toward arcana-assisted burglary. Whatever I or any of the rest of us can do about this gate, I caution that we will be opening an egress which has already been sought by someone, or something, capable of inflicting this level of damage on what looks to have been a solidly-forged piece of ironwork. Whatever did this is still in there; if we are not able to contain it, then perhaps we should leave it imprisoned."
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:04 am

Tim gives it a go, but is unable to budge the portcullis.

"Rat farts," he curses.

Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Previous

Return to The Crystal Globe