[TC1 PbP]OOC Discussion

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

[TC1 PbP]OOC Discussion

Postby RobJN » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Rather than swamp the main thread, all out of character discussion will be done here.

This includes pre-game character generation.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [TC1 PbP]OOC Discussion

Postby robertneaves » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:24 pm

If anyone is interested in building a backstory where our characters know each other, I would be happy to participate. I'm thinking magic-user at the moment, but am willing to play any class if we have a shortage in one area.
robertneaves
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 am

I'm not really sure what I want to try playing yet. Maybe as we talk about things something will spring to mind.

I do have another big question though, how do we roll dice? I'm starting another PbF game (first one ever!) on RPGgeek (sister site to BoardGameGeek) and they have a super handy die-roller that can be used right in your post. There is a "roll" button just like there are ones for "bold", "quote", "url", etc. The results can't be seen until after you submit your post.

Are you going to roll for the players, Rob? I don't have an issue with whatever you pick since we have to do something.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 am

Hugin wrote:I'm not really sure what I want to try playing yet. Maybe as we talk about things something will spring to mind.

I do have another big question though, how do we roll dice? I'm starting another PbF game (first one ever!) on RPGgeek (sister site to BoardGameGeek) and they have a super handy die-roller that can be used right in your post. There is a "roll" button just like there are ones for "bold", "quote", "url", etc. The results can't be seen until after you submit your post.

Are you going to roll for the players, Rob? I don't have an issue with whatever you pick since we have to do something.

I've been running a PbP over at the Comeback Inn for over a year now, and have found the following to work fairly well:

Any roll that the DM would do "behind the screen," I roll here on my side, either using my plastic-ware dice, or a pretty nice looking app called "RocknRoll." I handle all the rolls for combat (or it would D R A G ON F O R E V E R in PbP.....) and deliver a round-by-round summary (not necessarily a blow-by-blow account).

An example for this would be if your PC sets off a trap that has not been detected, or if a thief character wants to use Hide in Shadows and Move Silently to sneak past a guard.

If you'd like to use a General skill as part of something you describe your character doing, go ahead and roll the dice on your end, using whichever method you prefer (online die roller, a random die roller app, or good old fashioned dice-on-the-table -- nothing beats rolling dice by hand, I say!)and include the result at the end of your post. I'll apply the effect in my next reply.

An example of this would be if the PCs are interacting with the guard, rather than trying to sneak past him: a fighter-type may try to Intimidate (STR) him, or the mage may try using Persuasion (CHA). I'd still require some blurb-age about how your PC would handle the situation ("Varis makes it clear that his hand is on his sword, flexing his arm muscles" or "Saiorse points out just how big and strong Varis is, in relation to the guard's rather flabby physique"), but the die roll keeps things a bit on the "honest" or "neutral" side -- I wouldn't want a bad day at work influencing an NPCs reactions. :twisted:

This method has worked really well with the Throne of Stars campaign, and it relies on an ability-and-skill based Alternity engine -- I actually find myself rolling fewer dice than I'd anticipated.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chord » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 pm

I was thinking of playing something I normally don't play halfling, dwarf or thief.
Chord
Hobgoblin

Postby Hugin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:25 pm

RobJN wrote:I've been running a PbP over at the Comeback Inn for over a year now, and have found the following to work fairly well:

Perfect! That sounds like a plan!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby robertneaves » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Chord wrote:I was thinking of playing something I normally don't play halfling, dwarf or thief.

Same reason I was thinking magic-user, but now that I think of it, I've never played an elf either.
robertneaves
Ogre

Postby Chord » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 pm

robertneaves wrote:
Chord wrote:I was thinking of playing something I normally don't play halfling, dwarf or thief.

Same reason I was thinking magic-user, but now that I think of it, I've never played an elf either.

Since its not a long term campaign I am leaning towards the Halfling or Dwarf.
Chord
Hobgoblin

Postby Chimpman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:49 pm

I typically don't play the fighter type, so in keeping with the group, that's what I'll play this time around ;).

Regarding backgrounds, I'm thinking that my character will be from Thyatis (perhaps a former soldier), but that's as far along in the thought process as I've gotten. Happy to bounce around ideas about how our characters could be connected.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Hugin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Let's see, I haven't played much of anything in a long while. Maybe a fighter (if we need another one), or a thief, or any demihuman. But I'd be game for anything that's needed really. Except a cleric perhaps since that is what I'm about to play in another PbF game.

(I'm just a WEE BIT excited to be playing some old school games set in Mystara. Even more happy to see that you'll be playing too, chimpman! I feel like you're an old friend of mine that I haven't been able to just hang out with for a long time.)

Anyone else have an idea of what they'd like to play? That way I can cross off some to make my choice just a little bit easier.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

So, to summarize, if I'm reading things rightly:

Chord: a shorty Halfling or dwarf
robertneaves: magic-user or pointy ear elf
Chimpman: fighter
Hugin: not a cleric

Still room for two more players, four if I want to torture myself.

The fictional draft of this ran with two fighters, a cleric, and a druid. Of course, they also had the spooky girl who ripped out the ogre's soul and made it dance a jig tagging along..... :o
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby robertneaves » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Decided I'm going all out by the book 3d6 down the line, RC rules. Will the dice gods grant me an elf? We'll see....
robertneaves
Ogre

Postby RobJN » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 pm

robertneaves wrote:Decided I'm going all out by the book 3d6 down the line, RC rules. Will the dice gods grant me an elf? We'll see....

Hardcore! :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby robertneaves » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

STR 10, INT 9, WIS 12, DEX 5, CON 6, CHA 15. Yikes!
robertneaves
Ogre

Postby RobJN » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:26 pm

robertneaves wrote:STR 10, INT 9, WIS 12, DEX 5, CON 6, CHA 15. Yikes!

Well, that does meet the minimum Intelligence of 9 requirement ;)
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chord » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:46 am

I've Settled on a halfing by the name of "Arwynt TallFellow". Arwynt has a chip on a shoulder, see Arwynt is on the tall side for a Halfling,almost 4', and had to endure ridicule and being an outcast growing up in the Five Shires. In fact as a wee "little" Halfling the other young ones would call him stretch, and tease him to no end for being so tall.

More to follow.....
Chord
Hobgoblin

Postby RobJN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Confirmed another player. We're up to five, with maybe another in the works....

Chord: Arwynt TallFellow, a halfling
robertneaves: magic-user or elf
Chimpman: fighter
Hugin: not a cleric
TAD: fighter
Last edited by RobJN on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby robertneaves » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm

RobJN wrote:Well, that does meet the minimum Intelligence of 9 requirement ;)

Legodor Runtholellyn is my name (thanks to a random name generator). I'm going with an elf anyway even though this will be the crappiest elf ever. He's not that bright, but very likeable, and performs his magic incantations in an entertaining, almost bard-like way. He is rather self-conscious about his appearance, being somewhat sickly looking and too thin, even for an elf.
robertneaves
Ogre

Postby Chord » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:18 pm

robertneaves wrote:
RobJN wrote:Well, that does meet the minimum Intelligence of 9 requirement ;)

Legodor Runtholellyn is my name (thanks to a random name generator). I'm going with an elf anyway even though this will be the crappiest elf ever. He's not that bright, but very likeable, and performs his magic incantations in an entertaining, almost bard-like way. He is rather self-conscious about his appearance, being somewhat sickly looking and too thin, even for an elf.

This is going to be awesome. A sickly looking elf, a tall halfling, etc

This will be an interesting party. I will have to roll my stats this weekend.
Chord
Hobgoblin

Postby Hugin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:10 pm

robertneaves wrote:Decided I'm going all out by the book 3d6 down the line, RC rules. Will the dice gods grant me an elf? We'll see....

You are seriously tempting me to do the same. Although I'd really prefer to use physical dice for this instead of a program, excel, or an app. Something as important as this aught to be done with real dice as an appeasement to the dice gods. ;)

Now, why don't I have dice at my office?
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Hugin wrote:

You are seriously tempting me to do the same. Although I'd really prefer to use physical dice for this instead of a program, excel, or an app. Something as important as this aught to be done with real dice as an appeasement to the dice gods. ;)

Now, why don't I have dice at my office?

No dice readily on hand? :o
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby robertneaves » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Hugin wrote:... I'd really prefer to use physical dice for this instead of a program, excel, or an app. Something as important as this aught to be done with real dice as an appeasement to the dice gods. ;)

Damn my laziness, I used an app! Sorry, dice gods, never again!
robertneaves
Ogre

Postby Hugin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 pm

RobJN wrote:No dice readily on hand? :o

Ya, something about my clients seeing dice as they come to have their taxes prepared or to discuss their investment portfolio.

"Alright, let's see how much of your income we should report this year - I think that's an 8d6 roll, right?"
Last edited by Hugin on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 pm

robertneaves wrote:
Hugin wrote:... I'd really prefer to use physical dice for this instead of a program, excel, or an app. Something as important as this aught to be done with real dice as an appeasement to the dice gods. ;)

Damn my laziness, I used an app! Sorry, dice gods, never again!

Haha! That's exactly what I thought, so naturally I reasoned that you had upset the dice gods and I'm trying to gain their favour!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Unandrogynous Elf » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Hello there, I would like to join this campaign.
I would like to play something non-standard, but I see also there are neither divine nor thieving classes in the group.
I can fill in the role that's considered more important for the group.
Unandrogynous Elf
Orc

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe