The Karameikos Experiment PbP (OOC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: The Karameikos Experiment PbP (OOC thread)

Postby Dervish » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:21 pm

I am in St.Paul, Minnesota at Gillette Children's hospital my son is recovering from surgery there were no complications and we expect to be here for 4 to 6 days and while i do have access i am going to be doing vacation activities with my wife so i will likely respond at either the beginning of the day or the end
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Sure Dervish no problem, happy that your son's surgery went well, and good vacation!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:23 pm

My best for your son and your family, Dervish!
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Dervish » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:17 pm

i am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to everyone Cedric thank you for the good wishes. The surgery was was successful it has abated the high muscle tone in his extrimities allowing us to get him into more neutral postions without causing him pain. A significant side affect of this is we have seen a drop in seizure activity and his spine has relaxed a bit easing the scholliosis. in short everything is going good i am looking forward to the next arch of the game
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Glad to hear everything is going good!
Working on the next arch, new thread should be ready soon :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 am

I've come up with more precise rules about personal relationships of your characters in game:

The level of attraction toward each person you meet that your character could find interesting will be measured with a value.
This value will be calculated by me with a dice and your charisma score.
A +1 to +5 means you find the person moderately attractive, and you could decide to act on it on not.
A +6 to +10 score means you find the person very attractive, and you really want to spend as much time with her/him as possible, but you still can decide you have other priorities, or you may wish to remain distant for whatever reason, including fear, ankwardness, sense of duty, unwillingness to committ.
A score from +11 and above will mean you will care for nothing and stop at nothing to be with the person you like. This may be within reasonable limits or not, depending on the personality of your character. So you will have to act on your attraction, but you still get to decide how.

As explained before this is to give you options and possibilities rather than limits, but also to take into account the fact that young people will obviously develop some relationships with other young people.
However you can still decide your character is so timid he/she is unable to act on such attractions.
You also get to decide how to conduct any relationship you may be involved it, including leading multiple relationships at the same time, or ending one relationship because you encountered someone else whom you find more interesting.
The value is just a guideline.
Examples:
The character meet someone with whom he has a +6 attraction score, and such person apparently has a similar attaction to him or her (he or she could lie or change his/her mind and you have no mean to know beyond maybe magic). The character starts a relationship but then he meets someone with whom he has a +8 attraction score. He could decide to stay with the person with whom he already is or not, depending on your choice. Or he could start a secret affair.
If the person newly met has a +12 attraction score the situation may become more difficult, as the character will feel compelled to act on his/her attraction.
Yet if he or she is already in a stable relationship which is also bringing him or her satisfaction and benefits he or she may be unwilling to end it, even if he/she encounter someone whom he/she likes more.

Each situation at the end will be played on a case by case basis in game. Also for now your PCs are quite young and some of them may be unwilling to start stable relationships at this moment of their lives. That's fine too, the rule as said is just to give you more background material and options.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi all, I'm quite happy on how this game has gone so far as I think in slightly more than a year we have done a lot, considering this is a PbP game. Still I see there is little partecipation lately and so probably it's time to stop the game or change it and move on to something else. I have several hypothesis to suggest, you let me know if you are interested in them or not:

- Continue, searching immediately for new players. This could be done easily as in Guido's Fort some other adventurer could come to your aid in the middle of the battle.
- Finishing the battle with these PCs and then stop for a bit (in real life), then resuming the game some time later (in the game world) with higher level PCs (Example, I will play off-game the lives of your characters and we will resume in 993 AC, two or three years later, to play a single adventure we will choose together. In this case we could also search for new players for the new adventure.

Both the above hypothesis assume, for now, your characters will survive the battle. This may not be the case. The current battle in Guido's Fort is open to any possible result, so your characters could die.
In this case or if you do not like the above hypothesis, there are two more:

- Finish the battle and stop the game. Your current PCs will go on with their lives, if they survive, and that's all. Yet I'd like to continue playing in this forum, so I could propose another game/adventure in Mystara which obviously you will be free to join or not.
- Stop now as you are no interested in finishing the battle. I think it's a bit of a shame to leave in the middle of a climatic battle but obviously this is a game and you are free to leave it at any time. I would however appreciate if you all will state your decision, whatever it is, instead of just disappearing. Thanks!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:14 pm

I'd like to continue the campaign. I'm ok with either option.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby hihama » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm also keen to continue. With whatever option suits you best.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Dervish » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:51 pm

I am good to go For me its a matter of family and work taking up more time lately so i have not been as attentive as i need to be
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

Ok thanks, I will continue the battle for now and postpone searching for new players after the holidays (probably after January 9th), then I would go with option 2, i.e. continuing the campaign but doing a time leap in game to a couple of years in the future.

Cedric does not post since some time now, so I will soon put his character to "sleep" if he does not reappear in a few days. He will however be able to resume playing any time if he wants to.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi everyone, and happy new year :-)
I'm very sorry for my prolonged silence; I stayed out of The Piazza for some weeks now, because of a very intensive work period and some family issues, and I returned today from a trip.
My sincere excuses to Sturm and to everyone for having Dim on the "DM shoulders" in these days; and it seems that I missed a very beautiful battle, too!
I'm back and - if it is possibile - willing to continue the campaign.
In this case, both the options for me are ok!

My best, Cedric
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:39 am

No problem Cedric, we will continue with option #2.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 pm

As I have quite a long post to write to forward the game to the next chapter, I could not finish it today, probably I will post the new thread middle next week!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Character Sheet updated
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Ok separated the Powers in Rogue Special abilities, Weapon knowledge (added short bow), Other powers/feats and Combat maneuvers, as I have them in this format in my copy.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I've updated Lucius' sheet with the new proposed maneuvers and weapon masteries, as well as reducing the gold coins, as he sends 50 gp back to his family.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Dervish » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:49 pm

If anyone is interested i am working up a google sheet character sheet i hope to have it done today
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Dervish » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 pm

and here is the link let me know what you think http://bit.ly/CharSht
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Very interesting sheet, I think I could use it, even if I have to take a further look as I could leave some information blank.. I will do some experiments and let you know.

My aim now is to go along with the game by letting you choose the next step. As you may have noticed, we have played so far some very modified B series modules, B6 first, then a part of B9, then B5. This because I had no access to such modules when I DM'ed my first Karameikan campaign, and now I'd like to explore them. However I am integrating them more in the Karameikan setting (as the setting was only in a larval form when such modules were published) and adding much work done later by canon and fanon, and about the latter Agathokles in particular deserves much credit.

Tomorrow or in the next days I will drop some clues about possible future adventures in the new IC thread, set in Karameikos or elsewhere. When you four will choose the next step, I will also search for some new players, 2 or 3, to add to the group.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Ok I filled the sheet of Taradain with her stats at this address: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The link is view only, but I sent to the owner (Dervish) the right to modify.
Note this is not your original sheet which I could not modify, but a copy I made for Taradain.

I would do the same for the others in the next days.

Note the encumbrance on page 2. To have the maximum movement rate you should leave some items on the horse. This assumes you have a horse to take care of and you will not bring everything around in a dungeon. You may also decide to leave some other items on the horse (like the short bow).
Some money I have assumed is in the bank, not in your room in Threshold. I have also written down some more items you may have at your room.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Posted also a call for new players in this thread on the main forum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17479
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Thank you, Sturm!
I will update my sheet ASAP ('til saturday I will be extremely busy at work :-( ).
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Work in progress on the sheets, I will send you an invite to edit or a PM when yours is ready.

About my house rule on armor, please note that I never liked much the fact than in BECMI more armor is almost mandatory (at least for warriors) as it improves your AC, so I have and will implement this house rule:
Your AC will get better with level regardless of the armor you wear, reflecting the fact that your PCs get better at parrying and dodging.
All PC starts with AC 9 but warriors, mystics and thieves will eventually have AC-10 at 36th level, while spellcasting classes will reach only AC-3. So now Bofar and Lucius will have a natural AC of 7, the others 8. Dexterity is still a bonus to this AC, as is a shield.
Armor however will not improve your AC, but absorb damage. Leather will absorb 3 points of damage if you are hit, scale 4, chain 5, banded 6, plate 7 and full suit 10.
Armor will instead give a malus to your AC, reflecting the fact they make you slower, easier to hit but more difficult to damage. Leather will give you a +1, scale a +2, chain a +3, banded a +4, plate a +5 and full suit a +8, but up to a maximum of 9. This therefore makes armor very convenient at low levels, when you kinda suck at dodging and parrying anyway. Metal armor however is still not very convenient to wizards and thieves as it hamper the possibility for thieves to use their special abilities and gives an increasing failure change to wizard's spells. Both Thieves and Wizards can use leather without malus in my campaign.
Magical armor is a special case as it still absorb damage as normal armor, normally better, with a minor AC malus.
So a plate mail +2 will absorb 9 points of damage and have only a +3 malus to AC, making it a very expensive, sought and precious item.
Armor still has the massive damage catch, meaning that when fighting things which deals massive damage could be more dangerous with heavy armor than without it, as they can hit you easier and the absorbance of the armor could not be enough to save you. Same is true with high level warriors with weapon mastery and magical weapons, which are expert enough to know where to hit even the best armor.
Another catch is Aim: in melee any character of any level can Aim at an opponent to wound him, accepting a -4 to the hit roll but stunning or inflicting double damage if he/she hits. This is particularly useful against heavily armed opponents. Using Aim could be the only way to harm a warrior wearing full suit armor.
With a range weapon, a character can aim with just a -2 malus.

A further note about Hp. They will be based on your constitution and will rise slowly and only up to a certain point. They will reflect stamina rather than wounds, with some exceptions. Aim is one of them. If someone hits you using Aim, you have a real wound, you are not just tired. Wounds will bleed, weaking you and eventually killing you if not tended.
Missiles or projectiles that hit and are not absorbed by the armor always inflict a real wound (this makes range weapons very dangerous as they should be, as you should be worried if someone is taking aim at you with a bow or crossbow).
A character with a shield can try to parry missiles, but will have a malus at close range.

In the new sheets, I have indicated AC and AB (armor class and absorbance of damage)
Taradain has AC 4 (AC8 -3 dexterity -1 magical leather armour) and AB 4 (3 +1 magical leather armour)
Bofar has AC 6 (AC7 -1 dexterity - 1 shield +1 leather armour) and AB 3 (leather armour)
Lucius has AC 9 (AC7 -1 shield +3 chain mail) and AB 5 (chain mail) (so the shield does nothing for him? incorrect, as he gets a free parry action).
Dim has AC 8 (AC 8 -1 dexterity +1 leather armour) and AB 3

You may have noticed I almost entirely avoided talking rules so far, because I wanted the game to be focused on the story, but now that your PCs are rising in level I think a bit more focus on rules could be more interesting to allow you to decide your characters paths and tweak your PCs and their equipment.
Also the Experiment of the titles is also about some house rules I am using since some years :).
If you prefer to ignore rules, just continue to describe your PC's actions without worrying about them, and I will deal with them. The above is just to further explain that my game is a bit more realistic than normal BECMI rules, so it is better to avoid any BECMI metagaming (such as not worrying too much about archers as they just deal 1d6 per hit) and think more as you would in real life (damn, archers are about to shoot at me!)
That said, if you have comments or questions let me know. I think the above has worked so far and could work well, but please tell me if I made some mistake which I did not noticed yet!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm

I am good with whatever the only reason i included hit points on the sheet is that i am going to be using this sheet with my own group at the table
Dervish
Ogre

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe