The Karameikos PbP Act 1 Choices (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

The Karameikos PbP Act 1 Choices (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:37 pm

(before reading this, check the paragraph "How did you arrive in Specularum" in your PC sheet)

You are in the Merchant District in the area of the Great Market.

see this map, you are more or less in the green area between the Duke's Stronghold and Mirror Bay:

Act I Choices
Scene I The Procession of Saint Lucor

It's the middle of the morning of 1 Thaumont (March) 990 AC and it's the Festival of St Lucor in the city. The streets, particularly in this district, are so crowded it's often difficult to walk without bumping into people. You are searching for a cheap inn and are a bit worried you could not find one these days. You are lucky if you were not outside the city just before the festival, as in the day before it and during it, guards ask for 8 cronas (silver pieces) to enter. Well, 8 if you look traladaran, but only 5 if you look thyatian (1). All weapons but daggers must be bound with cloth. Guards appear occasionally on the street. Most of them are thyatians, and while they tend to be respectful with other thyatians, they have no problem to push around traladarans.
This street now has acrobats, knife-throwers, dancing bears, and minstrels. The smells of sewage, grilled meats, breads, sweat, and wine mingle in a strange, but inoffensive odor.
Suddenly the crowd sways to the sides of the street. The music fades and changes to bells and chanting. Statues carried by several men seem to float above the heads of the crowd. A sedan chair, borne on the shoulders of clerics, follows.
"The procession is coming!" shouts a young boy.
"Lucor, Lucor!" other shouts in the crowd. "It's Lady Magda!" others say, pointing at a noblewoman leading the procession. She is a very beautiful woman of about 40 years, blond and regal, with a grave and composed face.
"Bless Lady Magda Marilenev" some say, and more people repeat it, several are men dressed in black clothes with the image of a golden lion. Other men in black with the image of a white road on their chests follow the procession too.
"Bless the Torenescu!" some shout in the crowd, and the men in black and white repeat the call.
"Bless Valor Marilenev, who did not bow to thyatian scum!" A man shout among the crowd.
Lady Magda freeze at the front of the procession, an anguished look on her face, and all the men and women behind her suddenly stop.
Several of the men in black with the image of the white rod, apparently the Torenescu, come to the front of the procession, looking for the shouter.
Some other men confront them, and they are dressed in black and red.
"Out of the way of the Procession of Lucor, Radu rubble!" says a small, plump Torenescu man to a tall and lean man, apparently the leader of the men in black and red.
"A thyatian pig, like the ones you serve, Torenescu dog - The tall, lean man replies, then he spits on the statue of Lucor - You make me laugh!"
The plump Torenescu man strikes the tall Radu man, knocking him into the filth. Men from both groups tense, ready to fight. You cannot fail to notice that daggers appear in some hands.

Notes
(1) Thyatians and Traladarans can be quite similar physically, with skin colour ranging from pale to olive, hair colour ranging from black to blonde, and all kinds of eye colours. Often, thyatians have darker skin and hair, and red hair are more common among traladarans. Yet, even if many people claims to be able to recognize member of the other ethnic group from the type of face or the form of the skull, the truth is that language, dress and manners differentiate the two much more than physical aspect. Thyatians usually dress somberly, while traladarans favor colourful clothes and jewerly. It's not very difficult for a traladaran to dress and act like a thyatian, but probably his traladaran accent would unmask him as soon as he speaks.
Last edited by Sturm on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Act 1 (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Note that all the conversation is in Traladaran. Who among you doesn't speak it will not understand what the men are shouting and saying..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Taradain is a waif standing 4'5" her skin a very light olive and her hair a long reddish blond tied in braid snaking down one shoulder. Her eyes hazel eyes never seem to sto stop moving

feeling that the air is ripe with violence and having no desire die at the hands of political fanatics i try to move out of the area without drawing attention to myself
Last edited by Dervish on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby hihama » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Bofar is a short muscular dwarf. He has a red hair and also some faint red growth in his upper lip. He is a dressed in non-descript brown clothes and have something bounded hanging from his belt.

"Every year the same thing," Bofar mutters, "Seen this too many times. Humans..." He starts to bsck away from the main street to nearest side alley.
Last edited by hihama on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:53 am

(Sorry I forgot to mention that before, but please also include a short description of your character as several of you know each other at least by sight. Dervish and Hihama you can edit your posts or make new ones). Hihama you see a young human girl you have already spotted other times around the city. Dervish you also see a dwarf you know is often in the blacksmith district. Neither of you gives much thought to that however.
(I've not written your Pc's names as you do not know each other names).
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Gharis is a tall, broad shouldered young man with a mane of deep red hair. His muscular body is covered with scars from torture and lashes of the whip, but his head is held up proud as the Traladaran walks into the crowd.

"Thyatian or not, spitting on the statue of a saint is wrong", he mutters. He tries to break off a loose board from the pier to use as a club and scans the crowd, looking for allies.

"You there", he looks at Bofar (hihama) and Taradain (Dervish), "are you going to let this procession be attacked like this?"

Gharis is not eager to get into trouble, but he has a feeling that trouble is about to happen anyway, so he is going to be ready. He will use the improvised club if he has to, but if things get even worse, he may try to reach for "the Fist of Halav", his tied-up morningstar.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:00 pm

"It is just a statue, and not the Saint's own feet," a quiet voice at Gharis' shoulder says. "The one might be worth the trouble, but is the other?" His Traladaran is somewhat lyrical, still leaning heavily on the Old Tongue, and flavored by a touch of Sindhi accent.

Dimitri stands just behind the burly cleric, and could not be more of a study in opposites: he stands half a head shorter, his hair is a chestnut brown, his build trim and wiry, his fingers scarred and stained from working with knives and leathers.

"You cannot help me from behind the bars of a Thyatian gaol. And I have not the coin to spare to bail you out this time." Mitri's grip tightens on the cleric's arm.

"Sorcha's cough has gotten worse, but the temples have closed for the celebration."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby hihama » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:12 pm

"''Tis not my business, lad," says Bofar to redheaded human still backing away, "listen to your pal and leave it be. Seen this happening before. Nobody wins."
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Gharis' facial expression changes from glowering to smiling. "Mitri! By Halav's Hoses, how long has it been? Haha, that's right, you did get me out of that situation with the Black Eagle Knight when we were just young ones back in Luln, didn't you."

Turning back to the ruckus, he says:
"Well, I still don't like it, but I guess you are right."

He nods to Bofar.
"You are wise, dwarf. What's the best way to get out of here then? I am new to this city."

His fist is still clenching the improvised club as he tries to get a better view of the situation.

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby hihama » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:34 pm

"Name is Bofar. Been living in Specularum longer than your age. Realised long ago to stay out of fights between humans."
He points towards nearest sidealley, "That's where I was going. Its best to try circle around using alleys."
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby RobJN » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Mitri frowns at the dwarf's recommendation, remembering all too well what happened the first time he and his cousin had taken a back alley to avoid a similar conflict in the marketplace. Still, if any ruffians wanted to start that kind of trouble again, the company of a dwarf and a friend with a temper shorter than the dwarf's beard might be enough incentive for said troublemakers to look elsewhere.

He blinks. "Apologies. The memories crowd out my manners." He holds his hand out for the dwarf to clasp.

"I am glad mine is not the only cool head amongst these warring clans," he says. "I am Dimitri, of the Vornov, of the Lovani Darine and I am pleased to make your acquaintence." He continues with the old customary greeting, "May we share many a drink and song in the time we travel together."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby hihama » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:20 pm

"Well-met Dmitri. Darine you said, do not see you lot much here. Anyway, we really should go before this," Bofar waves towards procession, "escalates "

Bofar turns and see that the girl redheaded boy was also addressing earlier is still around. "Hey girl, you should follow us away from here."
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:45 pm

In the shade of the alley, remaining close by the wall, is a wiry, dark-haired and olive-skinned boy. His clothes, in typically Thyatian dark shades of grey and brown, look rather worn at the elbows and knees. A bound sword hangs from the right side of his belt. The boy quietly observes both scenes. He seems unimpressed by the Radu and Torenescu drama that is building up, and eyes with curiosity the dwarf and his companions.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Dervish » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm

{after dimitri but before bofar
Taradain looks at the crowd then back at Gharis and then scoffs miotions to herself

"Sir perhaps you might have noticed but i am child...they" pointing at the crowd "are adults most likely bigger, stronger, faster though perhaps not wiser" she says with a sardonic smile "If i wade in there i will be just another body for the grave diggers" shes then points to Bofar, Gharis, and Dimitri "you three would stand a tenfold better chance than I and i would like to see my shearing alive and well not in halav's arms. the radu and tornescu are itching for a reason to kill each other have been since i a babe the insult to the statue merely gives them a convinient reason."

then realizing it would be better to be amongst a group rather then alone she moves toward the group overhearing that they are leaving

"I am Taradain I was born and raised here. my parents often told me of the petty squabbles amongst the houses. Told me i had to be better to rise up above the hate." She pauses and looks back "After witnesing this i am not sure there is enough room to rise above it"

Taradain moves past the three gentlemen putting them between her and the crowd.
Dervish
Ogre

Postby hihama » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:54 pm

"That is the right attitude, Taradain. Why meddle with something that does not concern you?" Bofar says with a hint of smile.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:41 pm

Act I Choices
Scene I The Procession of Saint Lucor

A man in green and black approaches you, with a white lion on the chest. "Good cleric and friends - he says, looking at Gharis and then at the others - please help us divide the two groups, so that the holy procession can go on and no one is hurt on this holy day!"
Other men similarly dressed are behind him, but they are clearly outnumbered by Radu and Torenescu supporters now pushing each others..
Last edited by Sturm on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:12 am

A young olive-skinned 'man' with brown hair wearing worn out leather mutters to himself "Typical Traladarans, can't even get along with each other," as he fingers his hammer and watches a red headed dwarf gather a crowd of other young people to him.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby agathokles » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:11 pm

"I'd be glad to help, sir", says the Thyatian boy, stepping towards the men in green and black, and straightening his back and shoulders, as if to offset his thin frame. "I'm Lucius, by the way".
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:55 pm

A young Thyatian in leather approaches the men in green and black and says "I'm Tiberius and will help you break up this Traladaran riff raff."
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 pm

To Taradain:

"Mitri and I were not much older than you when we first began causing trouble for the Black Eagle soldiers. Our improvised traps and pranks might not have been more than a nuissance for the Baron, but we did it because we knew it was the right thing to do..."

Gharis turns to the man in green and white:

"Well, that changes things. I have not yet taken the vows to become a Cleric, but I will do what I can to assist you, Sir. Who do I have the honor of serving on this day? I am sure my friends Mitri and Bofur will help as well..."

He turns back to Taradain:

"What do you say? Is this your time to step up for the cause of Good?"

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby hihama » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Bofar sighs deeply while looking at Lucius and Tiberius. "Just what this situation needed, Thyatian snobs."

Then he turns towards the lion chested man. "What are you trying to do? Enlist kids to do your dirty work? You others are free to do what he asks but I won't have any part on this."
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Dervish » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:11 pm

"Well thats all well and good that you you were fighting the good fight but it seems that the armor you put in is draining yer brain out your feet and this man" Pointing at the gentlemen who asked us to help him "Wants to put us between those two groups, Its not like showing them some leg or breast is going to make them stop not tht i have much of either right now but thats beside the point...I suppose we could try shaming them into doing the right thing my ma used to do it to my da all the time. It might work here if we can get the right lady to do it ...."

with a huff she turns and approaches Lady Magda as she walks awayn she turns and addresses the young men who have disparaged her people

"My mother was thyatian and my father was of traldaran stock they could see beyond the unreasoning hate that seems to fill our peoples He served in the city guard and was more of a man than either of you have a hope of becoming if you can't grow to see beyond your own nose. It is only because of they would be dissapointed in me if i didn't try to help that i am even entertaining helping at all." she continues her on her path to talk to the woman who she thinks has a chance only the barest of chances of stopping carnage before it starts.
Dervish
Ogre

Postby hihama » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:45 pm

"This I want to see,"Bofar mutters while looking after Taradain, "Girl has guts."
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Dartamian » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Tiberius addresses Taradain as she walks away "Sorry ma'am, didn't mean to offend, just my upbringing coming through."
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Gharis is a bit shocked at first, but can't help but smile at Taradain's approach. "The girl did step up in her own way," he thinks to himself.

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe