[Almagra] Ongoing AD&D 2E PbP Game (Recruitment)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

[Almagra] Ongoing AD&D 2E PbP Game (Recruitment)

Postby Knightfall » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 am

I created a thread on Facebook about the idea of starting up another PbP to be run here on The Piazza. The game would be set my Almagra: World of Worlds campaign setting, which is a new homebrew that I've detailed somewhat in the Homebrew Worlds forum [link]. The region where the game would be set is the core area of the Mountain Valleys Region.

While the icons on that map don't have any names yet, I'll get manes for the most important locales as soon as I can. What I'll likely do is pick one area to start in and then move out from there. Almagra is a massive world, so I won't have to detail every corner of the map, but I'll want to create a more detailed map for myself. :D

I already have two confirmed players from Facebook but I'll want two more (maybe three, but no more than that).

Starting level will be 3rd. Races and classes will be flexible since I have both of the Core Rules CDs. Skills and Powers might be used. I'm also a fan of the Tome of Magic. No evil alignments, but neutral alignments are fine.

More details to come...

ALMAGRA: WORLD OF WORLDS
World Map
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: New AD&D 2E PbP Game [Recruitment]

Postby Knightfall » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:12 am

Full AD&D 2E Regional Map (on Facebook)

I'll put this up on the blog too with some terrain and political names.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:18 pm

If you're still looking for players, I have the time and the inclination, but I don't know pre-3E rules at all. I should learn them at some point, if only so I can read the Planescape and Ravenloft rulebooks, but for now my brain is pretty full. I'm in if you're willing to hand-hold me through the character creation process.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:48 pm

willpell wrote:If you're still looking for players, I have the time and the inclination, but I don't know pre-3E rules at all. I should learn them at some point, if only so I can read the Planescape and Ravenloft rulebooks, but for now my brain is pretty full. I'm in if you're willing to hand-hold me through the character creation process.

You can pick up second hand copies of the Player's Handbook fairly cheap in the USA ($13.95 for an original or $10.02 for the later printing) and the UK (£15.38 for an original printing and $11.00 for the reprint). If you are Canadian, they are not so cheap ($28.28 for the original and $23.99 for the reprint). D&D Classices RPG have PDFs of the WotC repring of the 2e Player's Handbook.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby BPIJonathan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:29 am

If you are still looking for players, its possible that I am interested.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Postby Knightfall » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:56 am

willpell wrote:If you're still looking for players, I have the time and the inclination, but I don't know pre-3E rules at all. I should learn them at some point, if only so I can read the Planescape and Ravenloft rulebooks, but for now my brain is pretty full. I'm in if you're willing to hand-hold me through the character creation process.

Okay, I'll pencil you in for spot #3.

Do you have copy of the AD&D 2E PHB? If not, it shouldn't be too hard to get one from somewhere. You can also get a cheap PDF copy at RPGNow. Of course, there is also the retroclone known as OSRIC, which is free. It's not exactly the same as 2E but it should be close enough for you to learn the system.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:01 am

BPIJonathan wrote:If you are still looking for players, its possible that I am interested.

Okay, you're penciled in for spot #4.

I'm looking at starting the game after Christmas since I don't want to monopolize anyone's time during the holidays. The world still needs some detailing, so I don't want to rush into it. If things line up for a quicker start, I'm fine with that too.

Regardless, start thinking about what type of character you want to play. All the standard races and classes from the Player's Handbook are acceptable and the game will use Skills & Powers.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: New AD&D 2E PbP Game [Recruitment] (Open Again)

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:29 am

spaces open for new players looking to join in
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Re: New AD&D 2E PbP Game [Recruitment] (Open Again)

Postby Knightfall » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:38 am

DM's Note: There are currently 2 players. Two more would be ideal.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Ongoing AD&D 2E PbP Game [Recruitment] (Open Again)

Postby Knightfall » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 am

One spot taken.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Boneguard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 pm

I'd be tempted, I love me some good old 2nd ed. But before throwing my hat in, I was wondering what kind of pace/posting rate are you expecting.

I'm asking because I'm working 11 hours shifts with a 2-2-3 schedule (One week I'm only working Wednesday-Thursday; the other week I'm working Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday Sunday) and that's not counting all of the overtime going around lately as we are short-staffed.

I would hate to join and be slowing down everyone due to my inability to post regularly.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Knightfall » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Boneguard wrote:I'd be tempted, I love me some good old 2nd ed. But before throwing my hat in, I was wondering what kind of pace/posting rate are you expecting.

I'm asking because I'm working 11 hours shifts with a 2-2-3 schedule (One week I'm only working Wednesday-Thursday; the other week I'm working Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday Sunday) and that's not counting all of the overtime going around lately as we are short-staffed.

I would hate to join and be slowing down everyone due to my inability to post regularly.

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about pace too much. We don't go all out in this game. Both Jon and Kev post at their own rate and I reply the same way. I can't say what kind of pace the other new player expects, but for Almagra, it won't be a quick game. The game was on hiatus for several months because I was a bit burnt out. I run a Kulan v.3.5 game here on The Piazza, and another Kulan v.3.5 game and my Realmsian Dragonstar game over on EN world. That's four pbp games I have o DM all at once, and I'm a little rusty when it comes to 2E, so things take longer for Almagra. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:08 pm

when the game was running previously
we would see roughly 1 post from each player a week, then the DM's replies <if not done on the OC forum or FB thread>
maybe twice a week for a battle encounter, but you won't see an insane amount of posting back & Forth

if a full conversation between players and an NPC is needed, we have considered hosting a Collaboration on Facebook
then post the compiled conversation as 1 single post
but thus far, we have not had to execute this option
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Boneguard » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 am

OK, so it looks like my schedule would not hinder the other players.

I'd be interested to play for sure

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Knightfall » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:57 am

Boneguard wrote:OK, so it looks like my schedule would not hinder the other players.

I'd be interested to play for sure

Great. What type of character do you want to play?
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:58 am

Here's the Campaign Guide and Rogues Gallery thread. [Link]
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:24 am

FYI, it was a long tough day, today, so I'm going to bed early.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Once again, I don't know 2E, so I'd only be able to participate with a "translator's" assistance. If nobody else wants to take the last open slot, you can tap me as an "emergency" person. I'm fine with playing the Cleric or something similarly boring. :mrgreen:
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:17 pm

willpell wrote:Once again, I don't know 2E, so I'd only be able to participate with a "translator's" assistance. If nobody else wants to take the last open slot, you can tap me as an "emergency" person. I'm fine with playing the Cleric or something similarly boring. :mrgreen:

I have two more players for the game. Boneguard and player recruited on Facebook, so I'm good.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby willpell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Once again, I don't know 2E, so I'd only be able to participate with a "translator's" assistance. If nobody else wants to take the last open slot, you can tap me as an "emergency" person. I'm fine with playing the Cleric or something similarly boring. :mrgreen:

I have two more players for the game. Boneguard and player recruited on Facebook, so I'm good.

Cool beans. Best of luck.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 pm

a Cleric would be a nice add to our small band

considering we're at 1st level
it'd be a good way to familiarize Willpell to the rules without overwhelming him

as a "clothie" he'd want to hang back anyway and try to stay out of battle directly if possible
<although a well built Cleric can bring the pain to the front line>

it also suits his possible intermittent posting without impacting the game progress
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Boneguard » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:a Cleric would be a nice add to our small band

I'm working on a Specialty Priest. I got you covered there :)

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Knightfall » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:a Cleric would be a nice add to our small band

I'm working on a Specialty Priest. I got you covered there :)

Good. They'll need it.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Return to The Crystal Globe