The Karameikos PbP Act 2 Specularum Burning (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

The Karameikos PbP Act 2 Specularum Burning (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Act 2 - Specularum burning
Scene I - Mirror Bay Inn, 10th Day (Thaumont, 10th 990 AC)

After 7 days without news about Gharis you are all worried something has happened to him. Trark has found the ship captain who brought him to Specularum, a thyatian named Marcus Coralos, but he has not seen him in 7 days too, even if he was supposed to sleep in the ship.
But in the morning of Thaumont 10th another news reaches you, brought to the inn by Fortunato and Mikel.
They do not seem happy.
"The magistrate released the two slaver we have captured - Mikel says - while the hobgoblins will be executed tonight. The two men said they have been forced by the hobgoblins. But I suspect someone paid to set the two men free" the sergeant concludes, with a sickened face.
"That's human justice for you" Trark comments dryly.
Mikel cannot refute him, and he leaves the inn.
"I am sorry, but it seem we are not going to have justice on this matter unless we provide it ourselves - Fortunato says after Mikel has left - I will not let the kidnappers of my daughter walk free. I want them captured and questioned until they reveal who paid them. I have a man following them right now. Will you help me? If you are willing to, meet me in Marine Street after the sunset. It's near my house and your house, which will be ready for you tomorrow. Corina can give you directions."
After that, Fortunato has lunch with you, then leaves.

Timos also arrives by lunchtime "I've searched for your friend Gharis as promised - he says - I've found out there is an half orc named Thowrogh who was searching for him. I cannot locate this one, but it seems he could be connected with the Iron Ring slavers too".

Later in the first afternoon, Tatjana makes an appearance too. "You must have heard about thyatian justice by now - she says, disgusted - the Society will not stand by. There will be consequences, very soon. We also have clues that your companion Gharis has been taken by the slavers. Are you willing to help or will you let the slavers walk free?".
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Act 2 Specularum Burning (IC thread)

Postby Dervish » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:28 pm

there are are some things that should never be allowed to stand, Fortunato Taradain says with some dimay Until then i will look into who made the ruling and try to find where Gharis and this Thowrogh
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Cedric » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

"Tatjana, you are right. I have to admit that this behaviour from the Justices is unacceptable: violent slavers simply freed in this easy way? No, I can't accept this.", tells Dim, angrily.
"Guys, I think we need to do something to correct this unjust situation, and to help our friend Gharis. I'm in, for this." he adds towards his companions.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:49 pm

"We do need to do something about it, indeed. But capturing these two, who have been released by a judge, might easily pass as an aggression or kidnapping, especially if these people have such a backing that even the Vorloi family ... I think a plan is needed to catch them, and possibly their backer, red-handed."
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby hihama » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:20 pm

We cannot take the law in our hands. But if there is some foul play we should uncover that.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby RobJN » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 pm

"What do we know of these men?" Mitri asks. "Are they local? Are they known to go to certain places? Taverns? Shops?"
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Dartamian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Tiberius chimes in We should help Fortunato with questioning these men. If they are with the Iron Ring maybe they can lead us to Gharis.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Scene II - Mirror Bay Inn and The Market, 10th Day (Thaumont, 10th 990 AC)

Fortunato already knows how to find the men. They are indeed regulars in a tavern just a block away, the Blue Water Mead Hall, and he plans to find them there after the sunset.
In the afternoon Taradain may ask to the guards in Bricktop about the judge who freed the two men. She discovers he is indeed known to be a simpathyzer of the more nationalistic thyatian faction. The guards advise Taradain not to meddle with such a group.

In the afternoon however you hear a lot of noises coming from outside the inn. As soon as you walk in the open space between the docks and the Hightower you see people going up market street toward the great plaza of the market. Trark and Timos come with you. As soon as you are there, you hear a man speaking loudly.
It is late in the afternoon. Most of the stalls have closed for the day, but many people are still in the market. An orator stands on the edge of the central fountain. The crowd gathers around him. The orator shouts, "And I tell you, the thyatians just wants to destroy us. Does the Duke care for you? Does he care for the safety of common workers? Who declares the taxes? Who steals food from your children's mouths to fatten themselves in luxury? Who has enslaved our once glorious nation of Traladara? And now we have to tolerate the enslavement of our young too? Should we tolerate slavers and beastmen under our houses and judges who set them free?"
The crowd is getting restless. Several men shout cries of agreement. Men raise their fists and their voices grow in number.
The speaker attracts more and more people — some merely curious and others in agreement with him.
The clatter of horse hooves makes the crowd turn.
Ringing the outer edges of the marketplace there are 30 of the Duke's horsemen. The orator and the crowd grow silent. Three riders slowly bring their mounts toward the renter of the crowd. "Disperse immediately, scum!" an angry captain shouts.
Suddenly, a hoarse cry erupts from the crowd and something flashes through the air. The lead rider falls, struck by a rock.
After the rider falls, there is total silence for a second.
Then the crowd surges at the soldiers. The soldiers respond by drawing swords and charging.
The commoners take up poles, rocks, rotten fruit, and daggers. A vicious riot breaks out. The horsemen hit the crowd, blindly slashing with their sabers. The people respond, swinging sticks and hurling stones. Horses, dragged down by the weight of clinging peasants, fall with frightened screams.
Women, children, and men run in panic from the charging riders.
Last edited by Sturm on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:09 am

Tiberius stays out of the conflict, but tries to keep track of the orator and follows him if he somehow eludes the Duke's men, encouraging the others to come with him. If he loses track of the orator before he leaves he does what he can to get those fleeing to safety.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby hihama » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:39 am

Bofar follows Tiberius at the same time taking care he does not go anywhere near the horsemen.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:12 am

Lucius will also follow Tiberius, if things don't get too rough. Otherwise, he'll fall back into the inn.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Cedric » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:29 am

Dim too follows Tiberius, but if it passes near weak people in great danger (kids, elderly..) try to protect them, and move them to safety (if necessary, using the most loud Ghost Sound possible to distract for a few moments the nearest attacking horsemen).
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Scene II - The Market, 10th Day (Thaumont, 10th 990 AC)

Fortunately, it seems you are able to avoid the charge of the soldiers and the center of the chaotic melee. Looking at the orator, you think you could have already seen the man somewhere. He quickly leaves the plaza, entering a small alley.
Before you can follow him however, you cannot fail to notice one of the young traladaran men you have saved from the slavers. You recall his name is Gavril. He recognizes you and makes a gesture to hail you, but suddenly his attention is taken away from you as an horseman comes near him.
The soldier is charging against a group of people and, as many scatter away, just a terrified young woman with a small child in her arms remains in front of the horse. The young Gavril rush toward the horseman to shield the woman, and the soldier raises his sword high to strike at him.

(I will assume Dim will try his ghost sound now, but the others PCs obviously do not know this, so tell me if you do something to aid Gavril or keep following the orator)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Lucius follows the orator -- there's no way he can save every young woman or child today.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:19 am

Tiberius rushes full force into the side of the horse of the horseman preparing to strike Gavril, hoping to distract the horseman. He yells at the woman with the child Run
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby RobJN » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:43 am

Mitri will try to get the sun to glint off his knife, shining it into the soldier's eyes as a distraction
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby hihama » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:19 am

Bofar pulls woman and child away from the danger.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Dervish » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Taradain tries her best not to get trampled by either the horses or the crowd..as she tries to follow the orator
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:42 am

Dim and Mitri distractions and the actions of Bofar and Tiberius are enough to distract the soldier enough to turn his attention from the woman and Gavril to Tiberius. The horseman tries to strike the young thyatian, but fails completely.
Almost immediately, he and the horse are also hit by shining black darts on the soldier's left leg and the side of the horse.
The animal rears in pain and the soldier fell heavily on the ground, moaning and cursing.
It seems Timos has cast some sort of magic darts to aid you!
Some sticky substance also hits the soldier in the face, temporarily blinding him. This hit seems to have come from Trark.
Both the wizard and the orc behind you call "Let's run to the inn!"
In the meantime the woman and the child are able to run away from danger, with the assistance of Bofar.
Three more soldiers on horseback however seem to have noticed you, and are fast approaching to assist their fallen comrade.

[Lucius and Taradain]
You follow the orator into the alley, and you see he stops to speak with three more figures in the dark. Taradain move silently, but Lucius produces some small noises with his armor, and one of the figures sees you. She moves in your direction and you can see it's Tatjana, with Turano, the orator and one more man behind her.
"I told you the Society will not let slavers be freed without consequences - she says - I advise you not to try to hinder us, Lucius. I understand you are a thyatian, but in this matter you will find yourself on the same side with slavers and soldiers who murder unarmed people. On the same side with a Duke who is either very stupid or really conniving with the worst of your people. Are you really sure it is the side in which you belong? And you, Taradain? We can tell you who murdered your family. Your friends among the guards know very well who murdered them. Do you want to know why they did not tell you?"
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Dim yells to his companions to disperses themsleves in the alleys, and follows Bofar to be sure the woman and the child gains safety.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Lucius seems about to reply, when Tatjana mentions Taradain's family. He looks towards the girl, waiting for her reaction.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Dervish » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Taradain stiffens "Tatjana, While i agree the slavers need to be dealt with. What you have done here i fear will become something the society can not control and if what you have told me of the iron ring is true they will use the circumstances to their advantage and any hope we have of removing them or their agents from this city or the duchy just went out the gate" She turns and walks toward the mouth of the alley "As for why they didn't or won't tell me either i am a target for enslavement or death, they are working with the ring an are involved, or They consider me a child and seek to protect me. However your motives are more transparent to you i am asset to be used and telling me exactly what you know i want to hear is the easiest way to get to me. I am 12 does not mean i am unaware of how the world works. Come on Lucius two to one are not good odds and i don't trust they don't have four more in the shadows waiting to silence us. " with that she exits or attempts to exit the alley
Dervish
Ogre

Postby agathokles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Lucius backs away from Tatjana, remaining between her and Taradain.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:48 pm

[Lucius and Taradain]

Tatjana smiles "You are but a child, and your friends too. You can leave this alley unharmed because you cannot threaten us and we have no reason to silence you. We could have used your help, but we can do without. The people you are living with maybe are really trying to protect you, yet they are accomplices of the murderers of your family, because they knew them but did nothing to accuse or arrest them. But if your are happy with this situation, please go along with it. Anyway those who burned down your house were not members of the Iron Ring, but of another thyatian group. The one whose house was burned down by the Ring is your dwarf friend.
See? We have given you all our informations for free. We do not need you and we do not fear the Iron Ring. We will crush them with or without your help!
".
With that Tatjana and the three men leave the alley going in the opposite direction, leaving you two alone.

(Bofar, leaving the market, may have entered the alley and heard part of this conversation.
The others too may arrive here if they followed Dim's advice to run into an alley, or be instead headed directly to the Mirror Bay Inn if they run in the direction from whence they came before. As you prefer!)
Last edited by Sturm on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:52 pm

Taradain turns to Lucius "They may Crush the iron Ring and maybe even the Dukes forces but how many innocents will be killed in the offing."
Last edited by Dervish on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dervish
Ogre

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe