The Karameikos PbP Act 2 Specularum Burning (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: The Karameikos PbP Act 2 Specularum Burning (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Act 2 - Specularum burning
Scene XII - Back to Specularum, 13th Day (Thaumont, 13th 990 AC)

Mikel and Tiberius leave with the others to board the ship. (This storyline will now continue in Tiberius' sheet)

Dim and Mitri stay. The situation around the Nest seems calm now, but you heard screams and noises coming from further away. Also there is clearly an organized mob besieging the Hightower, and they seem to have small siege weapons with them!
What do you do?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:34 pm

"Mitri, I think that we could go ahead and mix us within the rear lines of the siegers, to assess directly their force and purposes. Or we can stay in distance, and assess them from a more secure viewpoint. What do you prefer?"
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Scene XII - Back to Specularum, 13th Day (Thaumont, 13th 990 AC)

While you are still speaking about this, you clearly see in the distance that people with small siege engines and great shields are fast approaching the Hightower.
After a while, it seems they are able to breach and enter it.
The rioters celebrate, broke the windows and the doors of the guardhouse, and bring some unmoving bodies outside, probably guards they have killed, and drop them on the cobblestones...
You are still too far to see details.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 pm

"I think we should investigate those screams from nearer-by," Mitri says. "Going through that mob surrounding the Hightower?" He shakes his head. "Let's check those sounds from close by.Then we can double-back to see if there is a way to sneak into the Hightower, and surprise the invaders, perhaps with help?"
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Scene XII - Back to Specularum, Night of the 13th Day (Thaumont, 13th 990 AC)

Approaching, you realize the bodies are those of dead guards, yet there are only a few, certainly not those of all the guards who were in the Hightower, nor the bodies of Lucius and Bofar.
The rioters joke and drink, then one of them, probably a leader, gives a short speech, saying they will teach Traladarans what's their place, now that their rebel leaders have been sold as slaves, and ordering to point the siege engines to the Nest.
"Time to clean up that den of scum and rebels!" He says, and the mob gives cries of approval and starts moving the engines.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:34 pm

"Mitri, I think we have two possibilities, now: we can reach for the Duke's Castle, to ask for help... maybe the Elven Guard, or something as a quick reaction force that could be sent in a hurry to protect the Nest; or we can go very fast towards the Nest, to forewarn his inhabitants of the impending attack. I would prefer to ask for help: if they could dispose of the Hightower defenses, I think it's time for big reinforcements".
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby RobJN » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:49 pm

"Do you really think we have a chance to even get near the Duke's keep? Surely, if the security of the port hasn't drawn his forces out already..." Mitri is very doubtful they would even get within a stone's throw of the walls. "I think we would do more good warning the Nest. That way, if His Grace's forces do intervene, we won't be 'mistaken' for trouble-makers."
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:12 am

You move back toward the Nest, while the rioters are dragging their small siege weapons toward the quarter.
As soon as you enter, heading back to the place where you left Sorcha, you see everything is apparently quite calm and Mitri's cousin is speaking with another woman, less than 30 years old, with long, mousy brown hair and a inner fire in her eyes that makes her quite attactive.
Anastasia, better known as Little boss Tasha, is one of the main rulers of The Nest. Mitri and Dim know her by fame and sight, even if they have never spoken with the woman until now. She is surrounded by several men and some women, all armed and quite dangerous looking.
When you relate what you have seen, she smiles.
"Thanks for your informations, that fits with the large group of Thyatians who has avoided us to go toward the docks. They are joining the group you saw with the siege weapons. We will hit the crappy bastards now, before they have a chance to fire. Me and my men have some magical protections, so we will run in the front. Just follow us and do not let anyone of them escape with their useless lives. This night we teach them what happens when you mess with The Nest". A chorus of low growls and cheers salutes Anastasia's speech. Beside the 10 or so of her group, at least 50 or more young traladarans have now gathered here. You see also Gavril and Harlan, two of the boys you rescued from the slavers, ready with their swords, who nods at you.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Anastasia and her men run toward the great group of Thyatians preparing the siege weapons against the Nest without the slightest trace of fear, prompting all the other Traladaran men to follow with screams of wild joy.
The Thyatians are so surprised by such a counterattack that are slow to react, but eventually they manage to shoot a few bolts against you. Only one of them seems to hit a young man, wounding him, while all the bolts shot against Anastasia and her men seem to miss.
Anastasia and the Traladarans fall upon the Thyatians, and the battle immediately goes bad for the latter. Anastasia's men sweep the Thyatians away like wolves among chickens. And now you notice, in the dark of the night, that there is something strange with Anastasia and her men. Their faces are all hidden by hoods, but you can sometimes spot long noses and big eyes.
In the dark, you are not certain of what you are seeing however.
As it's soon obvious that the Thyatians are quickly losing the battle, more inhabitants of the Nest arrive to partecipate in the massacre, beating them mercilessly. You see some of Anastasia's men biting the throats of Thyatians to kill them.
Very soon, the surviving Thyatians who are still able to escape run to the north as fast as they can. Some are stopped and massacred by the Traladaran mob, who now celebrates and cheers for this unexpected triumph.
"We have destroyed them!" Gavril says, laughing, another sword taken from an enemy in his hand.
The celebration is cut short by the Karameikan Navy, who is now disembarking troops on the docks. Anastasia orders his men to retreat back into the Nest, and all the others soon start to follow.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:33 pm

"Mitri, do you see them? It seems that there is something very strange, about Anastasia and her fellows... I would dare to say that some of them, in the chaos of the battle, seemed to me a bit too similar to werebeasts...", says in a whisper Dim, while walking prudently toward the Nest... beware of mantaining a big smile AND a fair distance between himself and the suspected werebeasts...
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Act 2 - Specularum burning - Scene XII - Back to Specularum, Night of the 13th Day (Thaumont, 13th 990 AC)

Whatever their nature, Anastasia and her men quickly disappear into the Nest and, in just some minutes, the alleys are all desert and silent. Gavril and Harlan too say goodbye and advise you to hide somewhere. They know a place, if you need it.. The army is now patrolling the docks near the Hightower, but they do not seem eager to enter the Nest.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby RobJN » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:20 am

Mitri, too, keeps himself a safe distance away from Anastasia and her comrades. He bids Dim safe journey and departs to find Sorcha, and then takes Gavril's offer to find someplace safe to rest, since their rooms were among the first to go up in flames when the Nest was attacked...
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:48 pm

Scene XIII - Back to Specularum, Night of the 13th Day and morning of the 14th day (Thaumont, 13th - 14th 990 AC)

For this night, Mitri and Sorcha can sleep at the house of some traladarans who have offered hospitality to others whose houses were damaged.
Dim can now reach the house of the blacksmith Grigory, whose house is unscathed. The smiths, both thyatians and traladarans, have in fact defended their neighbourhood against the rioters.
Lucius can return to the inn where he has a room. Some windows were broken, but not the one in his room.
Bofar has to stay at the Hightower with the guards. The tower was damaged and the door was burned, but he can still find a place to sleep in the small forge.

The next morning, the army is still patrolling the streets.
Everything is calm now, the normal life of the city is a bit subdued and there are visible damages almost everywhere, but it's a fine sunny day and all seems better.

(Tell me here if you want to meet the others either at The Hightower or at The Mirror Bay Inn. Write in your sheet if you spend the day in other activities. You can obviously do both things and post here and in the sheet).
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Next morning Bofar is going around the tower and helping everywhere he can.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Cedric » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:10 pm

Dim, after a good night of rest, thanks sincerely Grigory; then, he asks some questions to his fellow smiths about the recent evenments and the riots, to collect some more information about what happened in the city in latest days.
After the breakfast, he goes to the Hightower, to reunite with and check his friends there.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Scene XIV - Back to Specularum, The 14th day (Thaumont, 14th 990 AC)

Speaking with the smiths, Dim learns that several thyatians have attacked guards or traladaran shops and houses, particularly in the Market, the Docks, the Old Quarter and the borders of the Nest. Other districts, like the Hill, Bricktop, the North and South End have been mostly spared, even if some traladaran houses have been damaged in the North and South End.
Now the army is everywhere, and so the situation is under control again.

During the day, Dim can still work at the forge as agreed previously with Grigory.
Bofar's help in the extensive repairs that the Hightower now needs is very much welcomed by Sergeant Reuben, Yuri and the other guards. Lieutenant Marcus is healing well. Lucius can help here if he wants.
Mitri and Sorcha should search for another house, as the former one they rented is burned down.

During the afternoon, a news spread around the city and reaches the Hightower too. The clerics of Saint Lucor have gone in front of the Ducal Stronghold, then they have lit some candles on the ground, standing still and looking at the castle.
Soon, other people joined them. In a hour, other clerics arrived, of Halav or Petra mostly, but even some of Tarastia from the Church of Karameikos. In another hour, men with the Vorloi and the Torenescu coats joined the silent vigil, and then even Philip Vorloi and Cristoph Torenescu themselves, standing together.
By the evening, a huge crowd had gathered.
The soldiers and the guards in the plaza, perplexed at first, then tried to send the people away but soon the size of the crowd made such an effort impossible, and eventually the guards and the soldiers themselves seemed more with the crowd than controlling the crowd.
By evening, member of the elven, dwarven, gnomish and halfling community of the city had joined the crowd too.
The significance of such a gathering was soon obvious to everyone. All the citizens of Specularum who wish to oppose both the traladaran and the thyatian extremism are asking the Duke to do something to stop the slavers and the ethnic violence.
Images of Saint Lucor and depiction of a young girl, obviously meant to be Taradain, are kept by many in the crowd, obviously both have been chosen as symbols of peace and integration.
The event is noteworthy, because it's the first time in the short history of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos that a Karameikan identity appears so prominently in public, manifesting a sizable number of people who identify themselves as citizens of a new nation, rather than Traladarans or Thyatians.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Lucius spends the night at the inn, then checks on Bofar in the morning.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Mitri thanks the Traladarans who gave him and Sorcha shelter for the night. He checks on the tanner to which he is apprenticed, to make sure they are all right, and tries to beg the day off, so he can look for new lodgings.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:51 am

Mitri find a Traladaran family that rents a room one block southern of the previous one, for the same price.
The tanner and his family are alright.

Bofar has a busy day at the Hightower, making repairs.

The Mirror Bay Inn too has sustained damages, almost all the windows are broken and the door too was partially destroyed. But Corina is fine and she is now looking after repairs. She is happy to see you are alive and well, if you stop by.
In the morning Timos also is present in the inn. He says he has to return to Darokin, but he has already left words to Lucius and Bofar on how to contact him, and also a letter for Tiberius in the hands of Corina.
He also says he may have discovered an important information about the slavers of the Iron Ring, if some of you is interested.

(More details on Mitri and Sorcha's new house in Mitri's sheet)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:40 am

If Timos doesn't meet some of you at the Mirror Bay Inn, he goes to the Hightower before leaving Specularum. He says he asked to the dock authorities, but The Stefania, the ship on which Tiberius and Mikel sailed, is not on sight yet.
If he finds Bofar and Lucius he says he may have discovered an important information about the slavers of the Iron Ring, if you are interested.
"I do not trust the guards enough to tell them - he says - I would not like my caravan to have some incidents on the road to Darokin, or be attacked by humanoids. I understand some of you are planning to go away from the city and I think it's not a bad idea. The slavers seem too powerful and vengeful for any sound man to go after them. This information I have is dangerous. I understand if you do not want to know it at all. Avoiding them could be the best idea. Indeed I'm going home myself.. Informations can bring power, but danger too. Tell me what you wish..

(He says the same to Mitri and Dim if he meets them at the Inn, so anyone who wishes to reply, can do it)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:22 am

Bofar looks thoughtful but then smiles grimly.
Just tell us what you know. I'm already so deep in this that little deeper cannot be more dangerous...
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:36 pm

"There is no knowledge that is not power, they say. And also, power wears down those who have it not. Thus, we'll better hear what you have to say.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:56 am

"Well I found a name, a wizard known as Zenopus - Timos says - he would be the leader of the slavers operations in the city and very high in their hierarchy. He would also have a tower somewhere, but I do not know where. This name is not very useful alone, but I know that the half-orc Thowrogh, the same who was searching for your companion Gharis, is one of his main contact in the city. Apparently yesterday Thowrogh was drunk in the Rattlebone Inn and tavern, in Bricktop, and he boasted he had recaptured your former companion and so he had showed the big boss Zenopus his worth. I do not know if he will return to the place, or if it's healthy for you to go searching for him, but it seemed an interesting information. The other bits about Zenopus, and confirmation of his existence, being his name true or not, I found at the Magician Guild, where there is a shady wizard named Octavius who had some dealings with Zenopus, even if he never met him in person. This Octavius is probably not affiliated with the slavers. I think he just works for anyone who pays well. Beware of him too, however, as is notoriously mean and backstabbing. That's all, use this as you think it's best, but be cautious. And now I must go. I hope we will meet again someday".
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Travel safely, Timos. I hope well see again.

After Timos has left Bofar turns to Lucius. We must share this information with the others, especially Fortunato Vorloi, before I have to leave to HIghforge. This might be crucial for crushing the slavers in Specularum. Then again we should not be talking this too openly...
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Cedric » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Dim too asks discreteely for the information, when he encounters Timos at the Inn; after receiving it, he looks for Lucius and Bofar (and Mitri) at the Hightower, to exchange ideas about it.
He also tries to recall if some of his own friends at the Magician Guild have ever talked about these Zenopus and (more probably) Octavius.
Cedric
Gnoll

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe