The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Road to Highforge
Scene I - The Hightower, Afternoon of the 12th Day (Thaumont, 12th 990 AC)

The Elder dwarves, three of them, arrive in the afternoon at the Hightower along with a fourth, who is Klist, the dwarven cleric of Kagyar who Bofar knows well. The one who is clearly the leader is a well dressed dwarf, with a black and silver beard. Another is a white bearded dwarf, simply dressed, and the third is clearly a warrior, with a great bounded axe on his back. Bofar has seen the first two before, but not the third.
"I am Thorur Thoricwarf - the leading dwarf says, and Bofar recognizes him as the most important dwarf in Specularum and probably Karameikos, leader of the Goldsmith Guild - . Here is my friend Dwalin Dwalumwarf - he adds, referring to the white bearded dwarf, who Bofar recognizes as the eldest dwarf of Specularum - and Karto Karalinwarf of Highforge, commander of the guards of the gnome caravan - he continues, referring to the warrior - Sergeant Mikel has informed us of what happened and I came personally as Klist is a friend of mine, and I knew your father too. Probably we should have took better care of you, young Bofar. But that can be mended now. It was already explained to you, I believe, that the Torenescu are good clients and allies, and we cannot jeopardize their benevolence for you. We also believe you acted quite rashly for a dwarf, and you probably need more guidance and some help from us. We thought to give you a steady dwarven job in Highforce, to which you would be indentured for 5 years, but it seems you have made some human friends who want to follow you to the north. At the light of this, you may prefer to be employed as a guard and, once in Highforge, as an explorer, at the orders of Karto. You still have to do this for 5 years. This is your punishment, but not an harsh one. It will give meaning to your life, and Highforge is a beautiful place. It's also a open place, yet we do not appreciate vagrants too much. - he adds, looking at Lucius and Dim - so we expect that humans who wish to live in our fair city try to find a job and contribute to the prosperity of our community. You can be guards and explorers with Bofar, if you desire to stay with him. I will not lie to you, this can be a dangerous job. That's the reason why we normally give it to troublemakers and expendables, like humans. Yet you will not be thrown to the monsters. You will be trained and given guidance and advice. If you don't like this idea, Bofar could have a normal job in the mines, and we could try to find some regular jobs for you too in Highforge. What do you say?
The dwarves wait for your answer.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

Postby Cedric » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:00 pm

"Noble Thorur, I'm Dim, a friend of Bofar. I respect his courage, and together we endured some harsh situation.
I'm an apprentice mage here at the guild, but I worked many years as an apprentice blacksmith; as this, I very much admire the blacksmithing skills of the Dwarves, and I would be only honoured to have the possibility to work and learn from the legendary Highforge's blacksmiths.
I have the will and the humility to learn with patience from them, and I'm willing to pay for this opportunity, working as a guard or an explorer for the community of HighForge."
, says Dim, with sincere respect for the dwarves.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:26 pm

[posted too early... Lucius doesn't speak Dwarven...]
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Right, but I'd assume Bofar or Dim can translate for you...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Bofar translates what Thorur says to Lucius. Then he turns to Elders and says Noble Elders, I humbly ask your forgiveness for my youthfull rashness in dealings with humans. There is no excuses for my behaviour and I accept your ruling in my case. I sincerely hope that I have not made any lasting damages in our relations with Torenescus.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:04 am

"I thank you for your fair offer, Master Thorur. Guard or explorer work suits me. If Bofar accepts, then I do so, too. Should he decide to settle for a steadier work, I'll travel further north."
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Road to Highforge
Scene I - The Hightower, Afternoon and Evening of the 12th Day (Thaumont, 12th 990 AC)

"Do not worry too much - Thorur replies to Bofar - you are still young. If you and your friends are willing to act as guards in the caravan and as explorer in Highforge, I believe all is settled. I think a blacksmith wizard and a warrior can easily find their place among dwarves and gnomes. Anyway you can still decide for a steadier job once you arrive in the city. In the meantime, please follow Karto's orders" - he adds, letting the dwarven warrior speak.
"Bofar has to stay here in the Hightower, even if he is not a prisoner and will be free to roam in the guardhouse - Karto says - but you two will be free to go anywhere in the city in the next days. Just be here at dawn four days from now. In the morning of Thaumont, 16th the caravan will leave for Highforge".
With this, the four dwarves are ready to leave. Klist however wants to say goodbye to Bofar privately.
Dim and Lucius can go to the Mirror Bay Inn to say goodbye to the others, if they want to.
They could sleep at the house that Fortunato provided for you, or rent a room at the Mirror Bay Inn, or another inn. They cannot sleep here at the Hightower however.

(This thread will remain in use for the Hightower and, later, for the Gnome Caravan. If you go to the Mirror Bay Inn please post in the Specularum burning thread)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Before Dim and Lucius Bofar says to them Could you bring my stuff from the house. There are some small things there. Nothing important but still.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:37 pm

"Sure, I'll get your pack," says Lucius, "I'll drop by as soon as I can. See you later, guys."
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:42 pm

(Replied in Bofar's sheet about the dialogue with Klist)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Road to Highforge
Scene I - The Hightower, Evening and Night of the 12th Day (Thaumont, 12th 990 AC)

Bofar is in the Hightower, the guards show him a cot on the ground floor where he can sleep. Captain Constantinus is not around, probably he has gone home or he is closed in is office. The dead and the wounded have been removed and Mikel is the one who is coordinating everything.
A guard takes some bread and soup to Bofar for dinner, and Mikel stops by too.
"As already said, you'll have to stay put for a few days - Mikel says - to pass your time, you can use the small training room. We also have a very simple forge here to make small repairs, if you wish to use it. Otherwise, I could give you something to read, or you can simply play dice and cards with the guards. Have a good night".
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Thank you, Mikel. If I can be in any help with the repairs or anything else, just le me know. I do not want to be just laying down or playing dice for days. And I am really sorry if I have caused any troubles to you. Good night to you also.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Road to Highforge
Scene I - The Hightower, Night of the 12th Day (Thaumont, 12th 990 AC)

Mikel introduces you to Corporal Yuri, who show you where you can sleep and says you could earn some silver pieces if you accept some work in repairing pieace of armor while you're staying here in the Hightower...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Bofar just asks Yuri to show where he can work.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:15 am

Road to Highforge
Scene I - The Hightower, Night of the 12th Day (Thaumont, 12th 990 AC)

Yuri shows you the small forge, the tools and the armors needing repair for tomorrow, then you can go to sleep in the cot.
Sergeant Mikel apparently has not returned yet from his mission..

(Unless Bofar wants to stay awake, I will assume he falls asleep in the cot for now)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Bofar goes to bed and starts to sleep after a few minutes reflections of what had happened.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:45 am

Road to Highforge
Scene II - The Hightower, Morning of the 13th Day (Thaumont, 13th 990 AC)

(Moving to the next day, this thread only for now)
Bofar manages to sleep, despite the numerous noises he can occasionaly hear in the guardhouse, mostly a couple of drunken people brought inside during the night and some guards chatting or removing armor.
The next morning, after a short breakfast (you can choose between olives, bread and wine as often thyatians do or milk and oat in the traladaran tradition) Yuri leaves him in the small forge to repair the armors.
During the morning, Klist returns to speak briefly with Bofar.

(And the dialogue with the cleric will take place in Bofar's sheet)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Its milk and oat for Bofar this morning.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:27 am

As explained in Bofar's sheet, Klist leaves after speaking with him.
Bofar works in the small forge during the morning, but soon Mikel, Tiberius and Mitri returns to the Hightower with some news.
Bofar, Lucius and Dim can obviously speak with them in the Specularum Burning IC thread, if they want to.

(Bofar may want to stays out of the public area as long as the Torenescu are present too)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Road to Highforge
Scene II - The Hightower, The 13th Day (Thaumont, 13th 990 AC)

Bofar has a quiet morning at the forge after the others leaves to speak with Philip Vorloi. He eats a simple lunch of bread, cheese, chicken and some apples with the guard Yuri at midday, then returns to work.
In the early afternoon, Yuri introduces someone in the small room.
Bofar is quite surprised to see Cristoph Torenescu. "I am sorry about your misunderstanding with Stephanos - the nobleman says in dwarvish - the boy can be quite rash, but do not worry too much, he can be persuaded to let the matter go in two years or so. I understand you do not like to be involved much with noble families and slavers, but if the first desire is quite achievable in Highforge, you may find quite difficult to realize the latter. You see, the Iron Ring is establishing footholds in all Karameikos, in the wilderlands, and among humanoid tribes. Like the ones who live all around Highforge. If you become an Highforge Guard, as your elders told me it could be your intention, I'm afraid you could meet quite easily other members of the Iron Ring. If such a thing should happen, both me and Vorloi would appreciate a letter from you or any of your friends who will leave with you. Torenescu and Vorloi may disagree on many things, but not on this. The Iron Ring must be destroyed. It's very important we have as many eyes and ears around the duchy as possible. What do you think?
Cristoph then awaits for your answer.

(I posted this here because Lucius may be present and in this case Cristoph will say the same to him in thyatian. Even if he is not present, Bofar can tell him later. As a similar proposal has been done to Tiberius, Mitri and Dim in the other thread, everyone can discuss it here if you wish).
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Bofar thinks for a while before answering.
I am more than willing to do that. As you said something must be done to this threat of the Iron Ring. Be assured that I will inform you and Vorloi about anything I learn about the Ring, in one way or another. What comes to Stephanos, I am as much if not even more to blame what happened. But what has happened, has happened. I'm not complaining, at least not very loudly, I have been planning to visit Highforge at some point of time.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Road to Highforge

"Thank you then, - Cristoph replies - and have a good and hopefully safe journey. Recently the Elven Guard and the Army are patrolling heavily the road to Kelvin, Highforge and Threshold, so it should be relatively safe, despite the increasing humanoid activities in the wild".
With that Cristoph leaves and Bofar can continue with his work.
The situation is quiet at the Hightower during the afternoon. If Dim, Mitri or Lucius do not go with Tiberius and Mikel outside the city and want to speak with Bofar here, they can obviously do so.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Some time after the Torenescu have left, Lucius drops by the Hightower, and looks for Bofar.
"How are you doing? I've brought your things from Fortunato's place."
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby hihama » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Thank you Lucius. I have nothing to complain. I have company here. I have something to do to keep me busy. If I have been only sitting in cell, I would have gone nuts.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Road to Highforge

Bofar and Lucius are quietly talking at the small forge of the Hightower when the whole building trembles with an incredible loud noise. For some instants, you both fear the floor may crash under you any moment, but then everything seem normal and still again.
You hear some cries from outside the room and below, however.
You haven't any experience of earthquakes, as Specularum is normally not a seismic area, but that just felt like one...

(So now Bofar and Lucius have something to do rather than wait for the others :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe