The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Back to Threshold
Scene XVIII - 4th month (Bahrlen, Klarmont, early summer, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

Lucius hits the zombie fully in the neck, cutting its head off. Taradain is able to free herself and they both can get back on their horses.
Dim also manages to push away the zombie who was about to bite the woman among the refugees. Another woman helps him and then both start to run away, while Dim can recover his horse.
At least ten zombies are now about to reach this little group which lagged behind, but Kesh is able to repel most of them, hindering the others enough to let you escape.
You run toward Threshold as fast as possible, while from the town you see the main door opening, and a group of knights coming out, lead by Baron Sherlane in person. The Baron raises his holy symbol and destroy scores of zombies, while his knights cut down many of them. More soldiers and citizens on foot, armed with everything, come out of the town and destroy the remaining zombies.
In a short time you are not in danger anymore and the battle is over.
The group of Baron Sherlane comes toward you.
"I'm glad you are all still alive - he says - and apparently you have also aided one of my patrols and saved some refugees. The last day has been a nightmare. Undead, monsters, humanoids and bandits have attacked communities all over the barony. The main purpose apparently was to steal as much metal, gold, weapons and provisions as possible, including farm animals, and taking slaves. Dozens if not hundred of people have been kidnapped and brought to the west, but we do not know precisely where. But I see you have taken prisoners, we may obtain a location interrogating them. You know well Retameron that we have witnessed this pattern before. I've called your father in Threshold and he will come soon".
"Skarda.." whispers Retameron with a voice full of repressed anger.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Ihate the undead
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:12 pm

We're glad we could be of help -- and we are grateful for the rescue.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Back to Threshold
Scene XIX - 4th month (Bahrlen, Klarmont, early summer, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

You are soon back in Threshold to rest and to meet Bonth, recently arrived from Highforge and Teranon, Retameron's father.
"Happy to see you again - Bonth says - I heard you had some fight to do, and I had too coming from Highforge. Our city and its territories have not been attacked yet, but several human villages at our borders have been. The elders think these raiders are waiting to see if Highforge will take a stand against them or not. There is much discussion going on. But I will let Teranon and the Baron speak now".
Teranon is a tall man of less than fifty years, with expensive clothes, a hawklike set of features framed by a graying beard and hair, and a pronounced limp. He’s in good shape, looks like an old military man. "My name is Teranon. Once upon a time, I ran about slaying monsters and upholding the good with my friend Sherlane and others. You ever hear of Skarda’s Raiders? - asks Teranon - For those of you who haven’t, well, it’s a long story. For many years, a magic-user by the name of Skarda was terrorizing the backwoods settlements all over Karameikos and surrounding territories. He had a whole company of followers: cavalrymen, formidable fighters. They’d swoop down on a town.. . and somehow, no one knows how, he’d kidnap everyone in the village, steal all the livestock, and make off with all the treasure his men could carry. And - this was the rub - they were never caught. Not one of them. When one of them fell in combat, the rest would butcher him rather than let him fall into the hands of the army or the guards. Pursuers would just lose their tracks on the road. The tracks would get to a certain point, and mill about a bit - and they wouldn’t continue on from that point. They were never caught; the kidnapped folk were never recovered or ransomed; the livestock was never recovered; the treasure was never seen again. Skarda’s face was never even seen. Their most infamous act was the kidnapping of the whole population of Lumm, a sizable town near Kelvin, 9 years ago. Me, Sherlane, Lord Penhaligon and Lord Kelvin began to hunt him down everywhere, employing many men and much magic. We slew quite a few of his minions, and we must have disturbed him more than a bit, because he stroke back... - Teranon stops, clearly touched, and looks at his son Retameron, who also seems distressed, Cardia keeping him up as to sustain him - we were all together here in Threshold for the Beasts day festivities of Felmont 1st, 982. There was a huge attack with wizards, monsters and assassins. A most vile attack who targeted our families. In the end many were killed and several people were missing, including Claudia Penhaligon, Elena Kelvin and Milena Antonic, my wife. Needless to say, we have searched almost the whole world for them, but we still do not know if they were killed or kidnapped. Skarda has not reappeared since. If we now found any clue about his whereabouts, we will try anything to find him.."
The Baron too has some news to report. "I am also very sorry to say I have many bad news from Specularum and the south, and from the rest of the nation too. It seems your friend Tiberius and the men of Fortunato Vorloi had some success in capturing several prominent members of the Iron Ring in the capital. Unfortunately when their execution was planned, someone set up a fireball among the crowd and freed some of the prisoners. Tiberius, Mikel, Trark were all wounded, but recovered. Yet some days later Tiberius went missing while investigating Thyatian extremists with two women, Carla and Adriana. I am summarizing a letter by Fortunato Vorloi which arrived in Threshold for you. And we have other bad news. The Torenescu estates in Krakatos have been destroyed, apparently by Thyatian extremists but, considering many captives were taken, probably it was done by the same brigands who attacked us. The Black Eagle is waging a war against the Five Shires. Villages and town in the north east and in Kelvin are also under attack by human brigands and humanoids. Persistent rumors speak of Traladaran rebels in the west, and some says the Duke is planning to disarm all Traladarans of the nation, a most inopportune idea in the present times.. it really seems Karameikos is in utter chaos now.."
"That's also why you now have some tough decision to make - Bonth adds in Thyatian - Highforge seems one of the few region of the nation which is at peace at the moment. Returning there would mean to have a safer life"
"You have already helped a lot and you have no obligations toward me or Retameron - the Baron says, and Retameron nods - also, you are all young and had a previous committment to Highforge, so feel free to leave. If you stay, we have no shortage of missions to offer you..

Now you may choose between several options:
Going after Skarda (the dangerous one)
Going to Kelvin, Krakatos, Specularum or the West (all dangerous)
Helping Threshold in other ways (medium difficulty)
Returning to Highforge (the safer one)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Being the youngest and least experienced i will return to Highforge and train hard
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby agathokles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:45 am

Lucius sticks with Bofar, unless the dwarf wants to go to Krakatos.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby hihama » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 am

As much as I want to help, I have other obligations in Highforge. Besides I want to keep our little group together and for that reason also I follow Taradain.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 am

Back to Threshold

"I fully understand your concerns and motivations - the Baron says - I hope however you will consider Threshold a place where you will always be welcomed. Please also write to me any relevant informations you may find about the Iron Ring or Skarda. We will need all the possible help. Stay at the Gold Dragon Inn for as long as you wish"
"Thanks for your help - Retameron says - we could not have won, saved the villagers and taken important prisoners without you. I will keep you informed on any news I may have and certainly I will come searching for you whenever I am in Highforge.."
Teranon, Petrus and Arkan likewise salute and thank you.
Then you return with Bonth at the Gold Dragon Inn. He says he wishes to return to Highforge as soon as possible, if that's fine for you.
At the Inn there are at least two groups of adventurers celebrating their victories against bandits or monsters, but the mood in the common hall swings between the enthusiastic and the somber as at least ten more adventurers who were here a few days ago have gone missing in the wild, probably killed by the Iron Ring or humanoids.
Later Retameron, Cardia and Sam, now barely able to walk, also come to share a drink with you and wish you a good return home.
In the evening four more people also arrive. It's the man of the homestead, now recovering from his wounds, with the woman and a child about 7 years old, probably one of the older among the 7 children you saved in the homested.
"My name is Dimitri Ivanov and our name carries some weight in this region - the man says to you - so be assured you have friends in Threshold should you need any help. We will now rebuild near the town. You will always have a place to stay among us, should you ever need it. Also my son Mikail wishes to say something to you..
"Thanks for saving my family - the child says - one day I will also protect the innocents and will be a hero like you!"
The man says the same to Retameron, Cardia and Sam, then the family leaves the inn.
"Interesting, I had no idea they were Ivanov - Retameron says - the Ivanov are an important Traladaran clan in the region. Descendants of an ancient king, the local lore says. Not hostiles to the Grand Duke, but not Thyatian lovers either. Anyway their friendship could be useful for my hunt for Skarda and for your future too, should you be back in Threshold one day.."

(As the majority voted to go back in Highforge, I assumed so. Anyway Dim could still decide to stay in Threshold, should he wish so..)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Cedric » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:29 am

Dim is quite divided; he would like to remain with his friends, and return to HighForge with them; on the other side, he would like to help Threshold.
"Ok, he will return to Highforge, we need to train and to fulfill our present obligations; but I think that we need to consider how to help in this whole, complex situation. Karameikos is on the edge of disaster, and I think that this infamous Skarda could be linked to Black Eagle Barony and the Iron Ring: these different situations in the Granduchy could have a common denominator", he says.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Sturm » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Back to Highforge

After the concerted attacks of the last days, Bonth is a bit surprised to find the road to Highforge completely safe, without any sightings of bandits, monsters or humanoids.
You do not encounter many people on the road, only heavily armed and numerous Threshold and Highforge patrols, and a big caravan with many armed guards. All however say they have not encountered anything dangerous on the road.
Travelling with extra caution, your trip back takes four days. The first night you stop in Chryspatos, which has suffered attacks but did not fall. The Lord and Lady offer you hospitality as last time. Some refugees from the last attacks are camped inside the village, which now seems much more crowded. The second night you are in Dendwal. The gnomish town also has refugees, goblins with females and children. Bonth asks around and it seems orcs and humans have attacked the Nightstalkers goblins to the north.
The third night you sleep in Motahur, where there are some Traladaran families which came from the east.
Karto (the dwarf guard who led you to Highforge), Mino and Talla (the two halflings of the Ranger House), and the gnome wizard Teish (current teacher of Dim) and his apprentices Agnja and Blago, whom you left here many days before have returned to Highforge already.
Bonth says Karto and the two halfling have indeed found in the north proof that several evil churches are involved in the later attacks.
The fourth evening you are back in Highforge. The gnomish city did not suffer any attack, so is calm and orderly as you left it.
"You can go back to the Ranger house for now - Bonth says - tomorrow you will continue your normal training. In a few days maybe I will have a new mission for you. Much depends on the decisions of the Council about the recent events. I assume you all still wish to remain with us here in Highforge, right? I agree with Dim however and I hope we will be able to help Karameikos, or the future of this nation could be bleak indeed."

(I will soon start a new thread for the rest of your training in Highforge)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:56 pm

New thread now here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=16394
Please now post in the new one (unless you are still something to say here related to a previous post above)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Previous

Return to The Crystal Globe