The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Cedric
Gnoll

Re: The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

Post by Cedric » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Dim too would like to accept the Threshold mission.
He's very curious about that town...

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:11 pm

a journey to threshhold sounds fun
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:29 pm

Highforge
Scene XVIII - 2nd month in Eveskyr (Styrlen, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

The Clerical festival has begun in Highforge and you wait a week for it to allow Kesh to partecipate and Bonth to prepare your trip to Highforge.
Jhyris says her goodbye and Neim is clearly sad to see her go. It seems she may reciprocate his feelings, so probably he will ask to be assigned to the south again quite soon.
Kesh guides you to the festival, showing animated objects, talking golems and talking animals, detection devices, protection items and obviously healing potions.
Most of these items are beyond your means, but Kesh says he can obtain healing potions for about 5 silvers if some of you are interested..
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Cedric
Gnoll

Post by Cedric » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Dim walk around in the Festival, noting everything of interest (golems and protection items in particular), and talking/chatting with the people showing the objects, genuinely interested in their techincal details.
He asks Kesh to buy 4 healing potions, if it is possible, thanking him.

In the following days, he prepares and checks his own equipment before the trip, and asks travellers in the Iron Axe Inn for news and infos about the recent situation in the wilderness and on the roads.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:03 pm

I ask for two potions, I also look at the the protective items comparing their cost to my budget. Finally i Looking for a decent set of lock picks and other thieves tools

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Bofar also asks for two potions. Otherwise he enjoys festival and all that it has to offer.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 am

Lucius is interested in getting a couple of healing potions as well. Other than that, he focuses on his training.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Highforge
Scene XIX - 2nd month in Eveskyr (Styrlen, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

(Sheets updated with another month of paycheck from Highforge, 5 golds, removed 1 gold to anyone who purchased two potions and 2 to Dim who purchased two and Taradain who also purchased thieves tools. Removed also 1 silver to everyone for small expenses (drinks and such) Taradain see your sheets about Amulets of Protections and their costs).

You enjoy the Cleric festival for a few days and then, at the end of the month of Styrlen (Yarthmont, May) you leave for Threshold with Bonth, Kesh, Neim, Karto, Mino and Talla (the two halflings of the Ranger House), and also the gnome wizard Teish (current teacher of Dim) and his apprentices Agnja and Blago.
Agnja is also a romantic interest for Dim, and Blago clearly resent this.
They all came because Teish and the two apprentice wizards will stop the first evening in Motahur, along with Karto and the halflings (who later will also scout to the north). (See map: http://pandius.com/karameikos-3_2m_draft.png)
Motahur is a village inhabited by gnomes and humans. These humans, called the "People of the Hills" are normally considered Traladaran but are not exactly like other Traladarans, in custom, clothes and language. The gnomes say they were the original inhabitants of these hills, and most of them follow an Immortal called "The Lady of the Night".
The Council of Elders in Motahur, where you arrive at the end of the first day, indeed has interesting informations.
"We have spoken to the Nightstalkers goblins - an elderly man says in a strangely accented Traladaran, while other humans and gnomes around him nods - they said the Lord of Death and the Dark Triad are rising among the humanoids and their power grows day by day. The three fiends are again a great danger in the north"
"That's bad - Karto says - do you know who the three fiends are? Demogorgon, Orcus and Leptar. All three brought great destruction to the land of Traladara in ages past, and they never went away. And the Lord of Death is obviously Thanatos, who many scholars believe gave the three immortality after counting the lives they had reaped. If it is so, we have to face deadly enemies indeed."

(BTW just FYI this PbP is often based on material developed for Mystara by your fellow player Agathokles, such as Specularum and the Dark Triad, but I think I will use it in my own way enough to surprise a bit him too :)

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am

From Highforge To Threshold
Scene XX - 2nd month in Eveskyr (Styrlen, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

At dawn of the second day, you leave Teish, Agnja, Blago, Karto and the halflings in Motahur and you resume your trip with Bonth, Kesh and Neim.
You notice that Taradain has bought a new sword in Highforge, an elven short sword which quality seem much superior to anything you have seen on sale so far.
During the 10 miles walk in the hills of the second day you see flying creatures (griffons?) but they do not bother you. The hills here are full of shrubs rather than trees, but you still hear lots of creatures scuttling around you. Nothing big enough to bother you however. Bonth often scouts ahead, bringing Taradain with him to teach her.
Before the sunset you arrive in Dendwal, a gnomish town over a fortified hill, inhabited mostly by gnomes and dwarves, with some humans. But the most surprising sight when you enter it is to see a group of goblins, dressed in black furs and wool and armed with steel axes, quietly chatting with some gnomes.
"Nightstalkers - Bonth explains - we fought some wars with them in the past, yet if they are here that means there is some parley going on. Until recently, they seemed more peaceful than the Dymrak goblins, who have attacked the caravan last year. Dendwal is a frontier town, and they always try to deal with them as best as possible. Do you want to chat with some goblins?"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:56 am

Not me. I'll stay clear of them.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:24 pm

"Bofar, let me say this friendly - Bonth replies - you are a bit too stuck-up just like a dwarf who grew in the city and never had goblins 1 mile from his home. We always beaten them so far because we are better armed and organized but make no mistake, they will win in the long run. They breed much faster than us. Ten times faster. Some dwarves and gnomes pretend we can beat goblins but they lie to themselves and to others and they know that at the bottom of their heart. The only hope we have is to coexist with them, or kill them all. The latter has been tried several times before, I assure you, and never worked. Also I suppose no one of your family you know of was ever killed by goblins. My paternal grandfather and my maternal uncle were killed by goblins and me and my family killed more than some goblins and I know the topic much better than you. Now you are free to do as you please, but please reflect on this. If you will live in Highforge you will have to confront goblins eventually. Rest assured they will outnumber you more often than not and you should ask yourself: should I try to parley before starting a fight which could mean my death, and maybe the death of many others?"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm

It's not that. I have a bad habit to insult persons I do not like. That's why I'm here and not in Specularum anymore. I'd rather try to avoid situations where I might say something offensive.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm

"Well I can understand that - Bonth says - you certainly need patience with goblins. Anyone willing to come with me? You will be not required to speak, indeed better if you stay silent and listen..."

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:37 pm

"I would not mind talking with them. anyone not trying to kill me or sell me into slavery has to be worth talking to."

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:18 pm

Bonth go to the goblins, who are already speaking with a group of old gnomes, probably the town Council.
The goblins seems proud and serious, they do not give you the impression of cowardly and evil creatures as they are often portrayed in tales.
They have chaclky tan skin, rusty brown hair, pointed ears and black tatoos on their cheeks.
"The great Leptar is back, they say - a tall goblin is saying in surprisingly good gnomish - an Hobgoblin king has risen east of the river and a Queen of gnolls in the north. Something is also stirring the kobolds to the west. But mostly here in the hills the old Sanctuary now has inhabitants. Troglodytes and Orcs mostly. They came to us, saying their master will take possession of the hills, and we should submit or be conquered. Then, their master will take Threshold, and then Highforge. That they said. Their master is blessed by the great Leptar who conquered all the Wufwolde in the past and will conquer it again. So we are asking you, will you give us weapons? Will you help us? If you do not, we will have no other choice but submit to the Orcs, and we do not want to!"
The discussion goes on, with the gnomes apparently reluctant to promise anything, and the goblins insisting.
"We are getting a lot of these informations - Bonth says to you when you move a bit away - probably the Baron of Threshold has heard just the same and that's why he has requested emissaries. I wonder if I should return with Highforge with these news right now and let you precede me in Threshold with a letter. Do you think you could walk the last 15 miles alone?"

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:51 pm

"yes i believe we can do it "

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:06 am

I agree, we are big and well-armed enogh group.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:56 am

Scene XXI - 2nd month in Eveskyr (Styrlen, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

Bonth tells you he will come to Threshold as soon as possible. If for any reason he could not make it, he advises you to return eventually to Highforge using this same road. He also gives you a map of the region and the official leader from King Dorfus of Highforge to Baron Sherlane of Threshold.
"Bofar you will be entrusted with the letter now - Bonth says - it's not sealed as you may have to show it to Threshold border guards. The first town you will meet is Chryspatos, is the seat of a Thyatian family which is on good terms with us and with Baron Sherlane. They will probably offer you a dinner, if you introduce yourself"..
The day after you leave Dendwal walking the hills to the northwest. Here the woods become thick again and visibility is scarce. Some time after midday, Taradain and Neim, who are scouting ahead, notice some tracks and soon you see 4 dire wolves in front of you, just in the middle of the road.
You go back to warn the others and when you reunite, you see the dire wolves have seen you.
You cannot mistake them for normal wolves. They were much bigger, big as lions, and they look at you with intelligence. They are not making hostile moves at the moment.
"What should we do? - Kesh asks - I can cast an inflict fear spell. It worked with the spiders. But maybe they will just go away?"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:13 am

I think we shoul wait and see what they do? If they attack we fight back. If they go away then we continue. Let's be ready for any surprises.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Lucius agrees with Bofar.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:09 am

Scene XXII - 2nd month in Eveskyr (Styrlen, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

The dire wolves indeed look at you a bit then they just disappear into the woods.
"Magnificent creatures, if dangerous - Neim says - my father told me about them. He fought goblins on dire wolves years back.."
For the rest of the trail to Chryspatos, you encounter nothing else except for a lot of birds, some boars in the distance and some giant beetles quite far way from the trail.
Chryspatos is apparently a quiet town with a castle nested on a hill overlooking a small vale. A stream runs through it towards Threshold.
There are some guards on the roads with a coat depicting a gold cup on blue. They look at your letter for a moment.
"There is a inn in town, the Golden Horse, if you want to stop there. But as official emissaries from Highforge, the Lord and the Lady may wish to meet you, if you follow us to the castle", a guard says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Sure, lead the way.

Cedric
Gnoll

Post by Cedric » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Dim agrees with Lucius; while walking towards the castle, he informally asks the guards about rumors from visitors and recent events in the area.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Taradain follows quietly

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:45 pm

Bofar follows Lucius and Dim.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”