The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Road to Highforge (IC thread)

Post by Sturm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 am

Antilles Castle
Scene XVI - 4th month (Bahrlen, Klarmont, early summer, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

"Grappling hook to the second floor it is" - Sam says, telling Taradain and Neim to come with him.
Sam checks that the northeastern tower is still empty as it was before, then he throws the hook to the top of it, explaining he has placed some pieces of cloth around some of the metal to avoid a part of the hook's noise.
He also tells Taradain and Neim to remain still for quite some time after the hook is in place, to be sure no one has heard you. As the castle seems quiet as before, he sends Taradain to call the others, advising to make them walk behind the tower, so that anyone looking outside the windows will not be able to see them.
Night is falling and now some lights are lit inside the castle, mainly on the first floor, where you saw people passing around thorugh the windows.
Sam goes up the rope first, then slowly helps all of you reaching the second floor of the tower.
The battlement is empty and a hatch leads down to a spiral staircase. Sam opens it cautiously, looks down, and then tells you all to get down.
You find youself in a very big circular room 40 feet wide (12 meters), dusty and empty.
"Well we are inside now - Retameron says - and that's how we will do it now. Sam and Taradain will be our scouts, about 30 feet (9 meters) ahead. I will follow with Bofar, Lucius, Arkan and Petrus. Neim, Kesh, Cardia and Dim will stay behind. The basic idea now is that Sam and Taradain see who is on the first floor and tell us, then we will decide what to do. Comments, objections?"
"I will go ahead and Taradain will stay about 10 feet (3 meters) behind me - Sam adds - better if the enemy spot just one of us".
"Fine. If you are seen and they attack, you and Taradain run back behind us, and we and the others try to subdue them as quickly and silently as possible. Agreed?" Retameron asks, waiting for any comment from you.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 am

Sounds good to me. I don't want to climb down, climbing up was bad enough

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Fine for me.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Antilles Castle

Sam and Taradain go down to the first floor first, and they find another circular room similar to the one above. The room is empty, so Sam signal the others to get down.
A 10 feet wide corridor exit the room to another corridor. Sam goes toward it but soon he kicks by mystake a rock, making some noise.
"Damn", he whispers, going back to Taradain and signalling her to return toward the others.
Taradain in the meantime has seen several closed doors in the corridor, by the pale light coming from the narrow windows of the circular tower, and has also heard some voices coming from a closed door to the right.
Sam waits some time to check if someone has heard him before, then he signals to Taradain, Retameron and the others he will try to take the exit corridor again.
As soon as he does that however 4 goblins, talking among themselves in their language, come toward you in the left corridor.
Sam signals again Taradain to go back and you hide behind the spiral staircase in the circular tower.
The goblins apparently have not seen Sam and are turning toward the right corridor when a nearby door opens and a young human woman with dark hair comes out, holding a lantern.
She says something to the goblins, then turns toward you, even if she cannot see you, as you are all behind the spiral staircase about 40 feet (12 meters) from her.
"Night guests? - she asks - I was about to begin my evening prayers. You can join me, if you want, and then we could share some drinks?"
The goblins looks at her, look at you, and remain still. They have weapons, but they have not an aggressive stance at the moment.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:26 pm

I would definitely try to make it back to the stairs, Assuming i succeed i look to the older peoples in our group when the lady talks.
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:04 pm

Antilles Castle

Retameron is clearly surprised by the woman's reaction, but after looking at Cardia, Sam and you he shrugs and comes out with Sam, signalling to you and all the others to remain hidden.
"Hello to you. We have met a trader on the road - Retameron says to the woman - he told us he was robbed and one of his men captured. We thought we could find the bandits hiding here".
"I am not aware of any bandits in this area - the woman replies - or at least we have not meet them. My church is trying to establish a dialogue with the local goblins and kobolds and I have some men with me in the other room. There are also some traders in the castle who were not with us. They just choose the abandoned castle to rest as we did. If are welcome to stay as well. But be warned, we have not explored all the rooms and some could well be occupied by animals or dangerous creatures".
"Thanks, I understand - Retameron replies - we may try to ask the traders too if they have seen bandits around."
"Sure, just ask if you need anything, I will be here" the woman says, then she tells the goblin they can return to the others, and goes back into her room.
Retameron turns back to you near the staircase when the woman and the goblins are gone.
"I do not believe a word she said - Retameron tells you - yet if we do not find the wagon or the captive man we can hardly accuse her or the goblins of something. What could we do? Anyone who has ideas or suggestions can speak".

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:29 pm

I agree, she is definitely lying. But I sense also that she is not hostile towards us. There is something weird here.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 pm

It is not unusual for churches or even noble houses to reach out to the other races in effort to coexist peacefully. She was civil when she had no reason to be. I learned something in Specularum during the recent troubles not everything is as it seems. the face that should be an enemy can easily be a friend and the opposite is easily as true;Trarkh, an orc whom many would consider an enemy give of himself to help those in need, While tatjana and her society and their opponents the iron ring wear the face of freinds all the while spreading corruption and hate under the guise of business and nationalism. This place is easily big enough to hold a number of people operating independantly of each other. Come to think of it the gentlemen who sent us this way could very well have had designs to occupy the castle himself not realizing that some may call it home.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:13 am

Antilles Castle

"I hope you are right Taradain but I still think there is something odd going on, as Bofar said". Retameron replies.
"Let's speak to the traders she mentioned". Cardia says.
Retameron nods and tells you, Neim and Sam to follow, but Cardia, Kesh and the two Threshold soldiers remain hidden.
Neim tell Retameron he can speak with the goblins, and then he ask them in their language in which room the other humans are. The goblins are a bit surprised to see you all, but remain calm.
A goblin replies something, and Neim tells you there are humans both in the room near to the one occupied by the woman and in three other rooms near the main door of the castle.
The room next to the woman indeed has three men who are laughing and drinking. They seem a bit surprised to see you, but they are not hostile either.
Retameron ask them about the bandits and the kidnapped man, but they just tell they know nothing of that.
Several of you have the distinct impression they are lying too.
After these men, Retameron leads you to the rooms near the entrance, and knocking on them indeed three human traders answer. All say they are going to Threshold and they have found hospitality here. The woman assured them the goblins and the kobolds were not hostile.
After this, Retameron speaks to you again "Probably we cannot discover much more here - he says - but I think this place should be surveilled, all these people are up to something".
"There are several locked doors - Sam says - and the goblins were watching us all the time".
Retameron nods, then speaks to the woman again, saying you will rest on the second floor of the tower. The woman says that's fine for her.
"We will have to eat some travel rations tonight - Retameron says - and tomorrow we will leave the castle, or at least we will pretend to. I would like to send Neim and Petrus back to Threshold. The baron may decide to send more men and detain all these people to interrogate them with magic. We will remain in the woods spying on them, to see what they will do. Do you agree?"

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25 pm

If these people are lying, then we need to be more careful -- they might try something funny during the night. We best set up double guards, and set alarms around the area where we rest. As you say, this operation should be kept under watch. We'll help while we can, but the Baron needs to be informed. Thus, your plan seems sensible to me.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:51 pm

Antilles Castle

"Good idea - Retameron says - better be sure they will not try something this night".
Sam, Cardia and Kesh place some normal and magical alarms on the staircase, Taradain and Dim can also help them.
Yet the night is completely calm and no one tries to come up. In the morning before dawn Cardia, Kesh and the soldiers go down the tower with a rope as you came up, because Retameron does not want the woman and the goblins to know your exact numbers, then he leads the rest of you outside through the main door.
The woman and the traders apparently are packing their things, and they say their goodbyes as you leave the castle.
Once you are all back into the woods, Retameron sends Neim and Petrus to Threshold as planned.
Then you begin your surveillance. After a while, the three traders leave the castle and take the road to Threshold too, but no one else comes out after them.
In the afternoon, Retameron sends Sam and Taradain to take a closer look at the castle.
"The place seems deserted now - Sam says when he returns - either the woman and the goblins have left through another exit, or they are still inside waiting".
"Also kobolds were mentioned by the traders" Kesh says.
"Indeed. We could wait till the evening then, if no one still has come out, return inside through one of the towers to check if they really left" Retameron says.
"It's possible they have set a trap for us inside" Cardia says.
"Yes, we cannot rule this out - Retameron says - but we have to take the risk or leave, what do you think?"

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:10 pm

We could go back via the rope. That would reduce the chance of falling into some simple trap.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Then again, they should have already realised that was the way we entered the place last time.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:46 am

Antilles Castle

"Despite the danger of dividing us - Retameron replies - I think we should try to enter from two different towers this time. North-western and South-western this time instead of the North-eastern. Taradain, Arkan, Kesh and Dim with me to the North-western, Sam, Bofar, Lucius and Cardia to the South-western. We will reunite in the corridor as soon as possible. If a group encounters some problem, the other group will be able to attack the enemy from behind. I think we have to risk this".
The others agree with Retameron and you follow his plan.

His group, with Taradain and Dim, arrives on the top of the North-western tower without problems just after sunset, they you descend to the first floor. This tower is empty too, except for the old skeleton of a warrior with armor and weapons. The skeleton doesn't move.
"I wonder who this guy may have been - Retameron says - but first I think we should join the others in the corridor". He leads you down.

The other group, with Lucius and Bofar, arrives on the top of the South-western tower without problems. The room down is empty as the one down on the first floor. You go straight to the corridor.
The difference from the previous evening is that many doors are now open.
You see the other group in front of you at the other end of the corridor, and you soon gather in the middle.
"They opened many doors - Retameron says - that could mean something? Let's take a look around with all due caution".
You find something indeed in some rooms. A giant shrew, 2 fire beetles, a crab spider, a spitting cobra and some stirges. All are more scared by you than you are by them, and escape through doors or windows as soon as you approach, or try to hide. Retameron say to let them be or let them go.
You also find a door which is firmly closed on the North-west corridor, and Sam says it's really hard to open.
Before he tries more, Retameron suggest to finish your exploration. In the South-eastern corridor, you find a room with a statue of a sheperd.
As soon as you enter the room, the statue speaks. "Greetings. May I help you?".
"That's interesting.." Cardia says.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:08 pm

"Downright Creepy if you ask me"

Cedric
Gnoll

Post by Cedric » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Dim studies carefully the Statue and the room, and use a Detect Magic cantrip in the room, searching for other source of magic.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Antilles Castle

The statue is quite bright after your spell, obviously its magic is strong, yet there is nothing else in the room a part from rubbish, such as dried leaves and dust.
"Do you know something about this castle?" Cardia asks the statue after looking at Retameron.
"I know everything about this castle, past and present, ask me what you want. I will answer three questions this day" the statue replies. The effect is quite strange and it doesn't move lips obviously, yet his voice is quite similar to a real person.
"Yes it's creepy. So what do we want to ask it?" Retameron says
"Enemies, treasures, the usual" Sam replies.
Retameron looks at you, waiting for your opinion on this.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Dangers, most likely. We should word the request carefully, as it seems to be bound by some limitations, and may take our request literally...

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Any secret passages or entrances, how many living things there are besides us...

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:01 pm

Antilles Castle

"Well I'll try to do my best - Retameron says - so.. there are on the floor below creatures who wish to kill us?"
"There are two" the statue replies.
"Two are not many but they may have minions who do not wish to harm us, but will do so anyway if commanded to, such as undead or even simple humans.." Cardia says.
"That's really a valid point - Retameron replies - so.. there are other creatures in the floor below who will follow the orders of these two?"
"There are 15" the statue replies.
"Well that's too many, especially if they are waiting for us - Retameron says - probably the smart move here is to return to Threshold and came back with more men. Unless we have a very good idea for the third question.. I've got nothing. Have you?"

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:38 am

If we are going to leave, then it's best to ask about the identity or nature of those who would harm us... so we can bring meaningful intelligence to the Baron. Also, knowing whether we are speaking of mindless undead or a band of kobold would change things significantly -- we could perhaps make a better offer to the latter, but for the former a different approach would be needed.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Antilles Castle

"This is also a good idea - Retameron says - so.. please list all the creatures below who could be commanded to harm us"
"A human, eight goblins, three kobolds, three thouls" the statue replies, then it fall silent.
"So these humanoids may be temporarily allied to the Iron Ring, and this could be one of their hideout. Do you agree we should now return to Threshold and report to the Baron?" Retameron asks.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm

We still do not know what those two creatures are who wish to kill us...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

"But we have exhausted our questions... as Retameron says, better withdraw and come back with a larger force. With different numbers, the less hostile humanoids may be persuaded to switch sides"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Just saying. We now know the rank and file, but not who the leaders are. But I agree, we should inform the authorities, this is not our fight.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”