[Almagra] AD&D2E PbP Game: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim takes the Orange Sourdough, the Stout tankard, and when the platter comes by with the pungent stuff, he grabs some of that as well. He also takes a bowl of vegetable stew from the platter. He hands the barmaid 2 gold coins, and says, "The first gold is to cover the bread and the ale, and a night's respite in the main room, as well as a tip for you. The second gold is for the collection box, praise be to the goddess!"

"The barmaids eyes light up when she sees the gold. "i-i thank you, sir. May the Goddess bless you."

Tim settles back in his chair, enjoying the festivities, waiting for news of Oswin.

The inn's bouncer, Baghdassar, has a busy night and two other unruly patrons find their way out the window and onto the net below. Tim notes that getting tossed is only for those who try to accost the staff or threaten violence. A snarling human woman produced a dagger after she lost a dice match. Baghdassar had her in his clutches before anyone else could react.

The raucousness of the festival slows to a dull roar by evening. Most of the revelry fills the walkways outside. Laughter rises from the lower levels where the festival seems to continue on all night. A dozen patrons crowd into the curtained off tree-hollow room. Sleeping in there would likely be uncomfortable yet very warm. Half a dozen others pay for a cot and are soon sound asleep in the common room.

Aerona firmly but politely insist that "Anyone who is not staying the night, should go home or find a branch to sleep on."

Baghdassar is forced to remove several drunks that had passed out in one corner. This time he takes them out the door and hands them off to the guards. When he comes in, a tall thin man accompanies him. The man shows Aerona something, and she immediately turns and points to Tim. "That's him. Try to be polite, Oswin."

"I'm always polite," he snaps. He shuffles over to Tim. "i am Oswin Edmugh," he announces loudly. "Aerona has informed me that you are willing to take on the villain known as Baldar. I will pay you the standard bounty plus a bonus if you bring him back alive. I must have justice!"

"Oswin!" Aerona grabs at the man's tunic. "Speak quietly. You are disturbing the rest of my guests."

"Your guests are already disturbed," he mocks.

Baghdassar growls at him and he nearly jumps out of his skin. "Very well," he says with a sigh. He looks at Tim and whispers, "May I sit?"
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 pm

I am here seeking information about a unique Wood Elven Child as well as to seek out the Great Tree of Life somewhere in the region

I could use a few locals who know the area well to guide my search
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:51 pm

"i am Oswin Edmugh," he announces loudly. "Aerona has informed me that you are willing to take on the villain known as Baldar. I will will pay you the standard bounty plus a bonus if you bring him back alive. I must have justice!"

"Oswin!" Aerona grabs at the man's tunic. "Speak quietly. You are disturbing the rest of my guests."

"Your guests are already disturbed," he mocks.

Baghdassar growls at him and he nearly jumps out of his skin. "Very well," he says with a sigh. He looks at Tim and whispers, "May I sit?"

Tim nods at the man, motioning toward the nearest chair. "By all means. Allow me to introduce myself in return," Tim says, in a respectfully quiet tone that Oswin can hear, but others cannot.

"I am Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross. As you might already be aware, knights of my order have been known to accept the odd bounty here and there, when they are not under active orders from the King. This circumstance is one such instance. I would be willing to help you find the justice you seek, provided it is not a fool's errand." Tim pauses, choosing his words carefully, "I hear that this Baldar has a small army who are loyal to him, and that he has eluded the Treegard for some time. Surely you realize that the Treegard's resources outstrip my own; for that matter, they outstrip those of any single mercenary that you might be able to hire. Simply put, they have more men, more money, and better trackers. As big and sturdy as I am, I fear that I alone would prove inadequate to the task..."

Tim notices the growing look of concern on Oswin's face. "I see your concern, dear sir. Please let me finish." Tim takes a sip of ale, and continues. "But what I can offer you is my reputation. The reason that you should consider hiring me is not that I am a one-man army; I most certainly am not. My talent lies in leadership. If this Baldar is walking around in the company of 50 or more men, then what is needed to track him down and bring him to justice is a small team of experienced mercenaries, who are willing to take orders, and follow them to the letter. The Treegard have already proven that large numbers of blatantly obvious town guardsmen aren't going to catch Baldar. This man is not foolish enough to expose himself to a superior force."

Tim smiles, as he notices that he has Oswin's full attention, and continues, "The service that I shall provide to you is that of a crew boss. I will advise you of what sort of men you should hire, and I will also interview each candidate, to ensure that we find the right sort of employees. Once the team is hired, they shall be under my command, and with any luck, we should be able to find this Baldar, and snatch him away from his hideout, before his fellows even realize that he's missing. I would say that we need about 3 or 4 good men, along with myself, to pull off such a surgical strike. What say you?"
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:I am here seeking information about a unique Wood Elven Child as well as to seek out the Great Tree of Life somewhere in the region

I could use a few locals who know the area well to guide my search

"Do you know this elf child's name?" Fore asks while breaking a large crusty bun in half. He offers Evermithe half as he chews on the other piece. "I know most of the wood elves in the region. They are my people after all."

he swallows the bread and lets out a dry cough. He quickly drinks down the last of his ale. "Good bread, but a little dry." He motions for the barmaid. When she comes over, he asks for more bread and some fresh butter. "And another ale," he adds with a wink.

"Don't get too drunk, Fore," she replies. "Or you won't be able to walk me home." She rubs his chin before leaving to help another customer.

Fore watches her walk away before looking at Evermithe. "I love human woman. They are so, agreeable." He spoons up some of his stew.. "As for finding an Elven Tree of Life, I've never heard of such a sacred place anywhere near Kara's Vale. But, Vrocia is a big place, so anything is possible," he says with a shrug. "I guess. I'd be happy to help, as long as there some excitement to go along with it."
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri May 13, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:27 am

sadly, I do not know the child's name but this child will have an unusually strong connection to the Arcane
a particularly rare gift among Wood Elves
I have been sent to collect this child so they can be trained to use their gift for the benefit of all Elven Kind
as for potential excitement?
as you have said, Vrocia is a big place. so I'm sure there will be plenty to go around and maybe even some worthy treasures to be found
having some local scouts who are familiar with the land and people will certainly help and of course a few others to accompany me as it would seem from the rumors running loose
there may be some bandits operating in the region
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim nods at the man, motioning toward the nearest chair. "By all means. Allow me to introduce myself in return," Tim says, in a respectfully quiet tone that Oswin can hear, but others cannot.

"I am Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross. As you might already be aware, knights of my order have been known to accept the odd bounty here and there, when they are not under active orders from the King. This circumstance is one such instance. I would be willing to help you find the justice you seek, provided it is not a fool's errand." Tim pauses, choosing his words carefully, "I hear that this Baldar has a small army who are loyal to him, and that he has eluded the Treegard for some time. Surely you realize that the Treegard's resources outstrip my own; for that matter, they outstrip those of any single mercenary that you might be able to hire. Simply put, they have more men, more money, and better trackers. As big and sturdy as I am, I fear that I alone would prove inadequate to the task..."

Oswin sighes and shakes his head.

Tim notices the growing look of concern on Oswin's face. "I see your concern, dear sir. Please let me finish." Tim takes a sip of ale, and continues. "But what I can offer you is my reputation. The reason that you should consider hiring me is not that I am a one-man army; I most certainly am not. My talent lies in leadership. If this Baldar is walking around in the company of 50 or more men, then what is needed to track him down and bring him to justice is a small team of experienced mercenaries, who are willing to take orders, and follow them to the letter. The Treegard have already proven that large numbers of blatantly obvious town guardsmen aren't going to catch Baldar. This man is not foolish enough to expose himself to a superior force."

Tim smiles, as he notices that he has Oswin's full attention, and continues, "The service that I shall provide to you is that of a crew boss. I will advise you of what sort of men you should hire, and I will also interview each candidate, to ensure that we find the right sort of employees. Once the team is hired, they shall be under my command, and with any luck, we should be able to find this Baldar, and snatch him away from his hideout, before his fellows even realize that he's missing. I would say that we need about 3 or 4 good men, along with myself, to pull off such a surgical strike. What say you?"

"I'm assuming you don't want me to hire standard mercenaries. You'll need people with talents to take on Baldar. Swords alone won't be enough. Every time the Treegard has tried to capture him, he's escaped through the use of magic, as well as guile. No one is sure whether or not he has magical ability himself or if he has a mage working for him, but you'll need a wizard. You can build your own team, but whether you want to lead them or not is completely up to you and them. I don't care who leads. I care about results. I cannot lose any more merchandise to Baldar and his men."

Oswin glups down the drink in front of him before continuing on, "The bounty allows for up to five people, so more than that would have to come out of your own pocket. The standard bounty is 350 gold per person. If you need more than that, you'll have to try to petition for more from the Treegard once you've brought Baldar to justice. I cannot nor will I pay you any coin up front. I will not have any more of my wealth fall into that bastard's hands. If you feel you must be partially paid up front, I will set half aside for you and your crew tomorrow morning with the Caliber Coinmongers Guild. You'll be able to take out as much as 25% ahead of time. It will be considered a loan until you return."

A large man in a nearby cot starts snoring loudly.

"Ask for Triptolemus. He will charge you the most favorable fee for the guild's services." Oswin shifts in his seat uncomfortably. "Do we have a deal?"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Tim smiles becomingly at Oswin, and extends his arm for a handshake. Shaking Oswin's hand, he says, "We do indeed. I will recruit 4 extra men, and we will indeed need the 25% loan. No one equips themselves, these days, it would seem. So, you'll need to leave 435 gp. with the coinmonger, 87 for each man. We won't worry ourselves with the silver small change."

Tim pauses, before continuing, "Since the advance is to be treated as a loan, couldn't you simply add the coinmonger's fee to the advance? Especially since we're leaving 25 silver pieces off the table? Saying no wouldn't break the deal, but it would make getting started a lot easier."
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:sadly, I do not know the child's name but this child will have an unusually strong connection to the Arcane
a particularly rare gift among Wood Elves
I have been sent to collect this child so they can be trained to use their gift for the benefit of all Elven Kind
as for potential excitement?
as you have said, Vrocia is a big place. so I'm sure there will be plenty to go around and maybe even some worthy treasures to be found
having some local scouts who are familiar with the land and people will certainly help and of course a few others to accompany me as it would seem from the rumors running loose
there may be some bandits operating in the region

"Without a name it will make it hard to find the child. As I'm sure you're aware, wood elf families tend to be insular when dealing with outsiders, even other elves. Plus, taking the child away from his or her family will be difficult unless you plan to do it in secret. I hope that's not your plan. I can't be involved in a kidnapping even if the child will benefit. I'd end up a pariah."

Fore pauses when the barmaid returns with the bread and more ale. She fills his cup and leaves the jug on the table. She gives him a quick kiss and then rushes away before he can give her a squeeze.

He drinks half of his ale before continuing. "Ah, good ale. Now, as long as you don't kidnap anyone, I'm in for 'plenty of excitement', as you put it. And treasure is always good. I tend to live large, so gaining significant coin for my pouch is always a good incentive. As for other scouts, I can ask around."

Fore sideways at Siliarilas; the other elf had been sitting quietly while Evermithe and Fore had been speaking. "Any interest in joining in on the fun? We could use your skills?"

Fore turns back to Evermithe, "As for the bandit rumors," he glances towards Oswin and Tim conversing near the bar. "Aerona did mention Oswin's desire to put together a force to take on this Baldar fellow they are obviously talking about." Fore raises his voice slightly so that Oswin can here that last part. "However, hunting bandits is a dangerous profession in Vrocia. I'd want double the standard bounty to risk my neck against Baldar."

"No one asked you," Oswin retorts from the bar, loudly. Aerona shushes him and glares at Fore. The wood elf shrugs with a smile and then nods quickly and compliantly to her when she crosses her arms in displeasure.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim smiles becomingly at Oswin, and extends his arm for a handshake. Shaking Oswin's hand, he says, "We do indeed. I will recruit 4 extra men, and we will indeed need the 25% loan. No one equips themselves, these days, it would seem. So, you'll need to leave 435 gp. with the coinmonger, 87 for each man. We won't worry ourselves with the silver small change."

Tim pauses, before continuing, "Since the advance is to be treated as a loan, couldn't you simply add the coinmonger's fee to the advance? Especially since we're leaving 25 silver pieces off the table? Saying no wouldn't break the deal, but it would make getting started a lot easier."

"You can allocate the 25 silver to pay part of the fee that Triptolemus will charge you, but he'll want to keep it a separate transaction. Plus, the fee must be paid in hard coin. That's the guild's rule. If you use the 25 silver, you'll have to pay an extra fee to convert that part of the loan to coin. Caliber can be excessive with their fees so try not to haggle too much with Triptolemus. And don't let his superiors overhear you. If Mercy Penry gets his hands on the transaction, you will pay through his bulbous nose." Oswin leans in and whispers to Big Tim, "One gold per person is what Triptolemus might be able to give you, as long as everything goes smoothly. Penry will charge you a weekly interest, which will be very high. 15 to 25% at the minimum."

Oswin glances over his shoulder, "If you hire 'that one', I will not cover his expenses."
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sat May 14, 2016 1:10 am

I will not stoop to kidnapping as that only creates enemies
the Great Tree does not allow such disrespectful actions

I am here to make friendships and connections with the local Elven Population
my efforts will be directed toward the Village Elders to speak with the parents of the child and inform that them their child is not cursed given that many Wood Elven communities fear Arcane Magic

if the parents choose to not allow their child to be trained by the Guardians and Protectors of the Great Tree for the greater benefit of all Elven Kind
then I will return to my Enclave empty handed until such time as another child is detected
the choice is not mine to make
but the Great Tree has chosen this child to bear a great gift for this world
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby BPIJonathan » Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 pm

Knightfall wrote:Fore eats from his own plate before asking Silarilas, "Have you come to the Vale for the festival or for something else? You look capable. I am looking for boon companions to travel with on the road."

"I am always up for travel and exploration." Awaiting further information, Silarilas nibbles on his food, and sips his ale.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Thu May 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Originally posted by Oswin:

Oswin glances over his shoulder, "If you hire 'that one', I will not cover his expenses."

Tim looks over at Fore, trying to size him up. Turning back to Oswin, he says, "You don't have much experience at this, do you? Pardon me for saying so, but beneath many a rough, rude exterior can be found a heart filled with courage and loyalty. I will talk to whomever responds to my advertisement, and my own counsel will I keep on who is to be hired. If I do hire him, and I'm not necessarily saying that I will, I will require his expenses to be covered, just like any other team member. It's only fair. No offense, but you should not let your emotions and your pride cloud your judgment. It's bad for business."

Tim waits for Oswin's reply with a look that conveys impatience. "So, do we have a deal? I can hire whom I want, yes? As I said before, not covering the moneylender's fee isn't a deal breaker; but being able to decide for myself whom I hire, IS."
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:I will not stoop to kidnapping as that only creates enemies
the Great Tree does not allow such disrespectful actions

"That's good to hear. I assumed you wouldn't do such a thing, but I had to be sure. You understand," Fore says with a nod and most serious face you seen from him so far.

I am here to make friendships and connections with the local Elven Population
my efforts will be directed toward the Village Elders to speak with the parents of the child and inform that them their child is not cursed given that many Wood Elven communities fear Arcane Magic

if the parents choose to not allow their child to be trained by the Guardians and Protectors of the Great Tree for the greater benefit of all Elven Kind
then I will return to my Enclave empty handed until such time as another child is detected
the choice is not mine to make
but the Great Tree has chosen this child to bear a great gift for this world

"It's true what you say that there some wood elves who cling to the old ways and taboos, but here on this world, survival is more important than anything else. Magic is a powerful tool and a child with such unique talents could be seen as a blessing."

Fore's mood quickly shifts back to his normal cheery self. "It will depend on the clan. The local Amontaur clan would view such a child as someone to cherish and guide to be the next great leader of the clan. The thought of giving up such a child would never appeal to them. Of course, if you can get the parents to agree to let the child go, the Elders would have no choice in the matter."

BPIJonathan wrote:"I am always up for travel and exploration." Awaiting further information, Silarilas nibbles on his food, and sips his ale.

"Good. It sounds like we're going to be busy, if we're going to be trying to find this child for Evermithe. Of course, there are always other quests that could be taken with or without a certain windbag's approval," Fore raises his voice again.

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim looks over at Fore, trying to size him up. Turning back to Oswin, he says, "You don't have much experience at this, do you? Pardon me for saying so, but beneath many a rough, rude exterior can be found a heart filled with courage and loyalty. I will talk to whomever responds to my advertisement, and my own counsel will I keep on who is to be hired. If I do hire him, and I'm not necessarily saying that I will, I will require his expenses to be covered, just like any other team member. It's only fair. No offense, but you should not let your emotions and your pride cloud your judgment. It's bad for business."

Tim waits for Oswin's reply with a look that conveys impatience. "So, do we have a deal? I can hire whom I want, yes? As I said before, not covering the moneylender's fee isn't a deal breaker; but being able to decide for myself whom I hire, IS."

Oswin's face sours at Tim's words. "I'm sorry to hear that. There will be no deal if Foredryn Morxina is involved or anyone else of his ilk. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like him would be in league with Baldar. Or he will betray you if he thinks Baldar will offer him a better deal," Oswin says plainly.

"You fat little toad," Fore gets up from his chair and stalks over toward Oswin with his mug raised to strike who cringes in fear. The bouncer Baghdassar quickly closes the gap and puts himself in front of the wood elf.

"No, Fore," Baghdassar orders. "And you've had enough." He takes the mug Fore was going to hit Oswin with away from the elf.

"I-I'm sorry, B-Bagh. It's just."

"I know. He had no right to say such a thing," Baghdassar looks at Oswin. "You. Leave."

Oswin makes a snort of disgust. He looks at Tim and shakes his head. "No. no deal, Mr. Valencia. For you to even consider that, that knife-earred bast-"

"Out!" Aerona barks at Oswin. "And don't come back!"

Oswin is shocked by Aerona's sudden outburst. Baghdassar helps Fore back into his chair while the barmaid comforts the, now, very sullen wood elf. "Kivessin," he mumbles.

Oswin finds his courage again. "Very well, Aerona. I'm not surprised that you'd stand up for such a 'good customer'. You're not doing him or anyone else any good by letting him continue to drink here. I know you feel sorry for him, but I do not."

Oswin stalks out of the inn, pushing his way past the few other patrons who had gathered to observe the encounter. He mutters something derogatory about adventurers, as he leaves.

"What was that about?" A patron asks.

"Never mind," Aerona replies with a a sigh. "No more drinks tonight. I know its a festival night, but I'm closing now. If you're not staying the night, please return home or find somewhere else to drink."

The small gathering of patrons breaks up. Most leave the inn while a few pay for a cot. Baghdassar closes and locks the main door.

"I'm sorry about that, Tim," Aerona apologizes to the big man while she checks on Fore. "Oswin's not really a bad man, but he's a stubborn fool who often speaks without thinking."

"I can't believe he said that," Baghdassar growls.

"He's frustrated. But it was uncalled for. I can only hope he'll apologize, someday," Aerona says with a sigh.

"Kivessin," Fore sobs. "It's m-my fault."

"Hush now," Aerona coos trying to comfort the elven man. She motions to Baghdassar to gather Fore up. "Take him home," Bagh.

"Yes, miss."
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Oswin wrote:
Oswin makes a snort of disgust. He looks at Tim and shakes his head. "No. no deal, Mr. Valencia. For you to even consider that, that knife-earred bast-"

[...]

Oswin finds his courage again. "Very well, Aerona. I'm not surprised that you'd stand up for such a 'good customer'. You're not doing him or anyone else any good by letting him continue to drink here. I know you feel sorry for him, but I do not."

Aerona wrote:
"I'm sorry about that, Tim," Aerona apologizes to the big man while she checks on Fore. "Oswin's not really a bad man, but he's a stubborn fool who often speaks without thinking."

Tim frowns with concern. "I guess that perhaps those two have a history of bad blood between them? I don't mean to pry, but I couldn't help but overhear Fore mention someone named Kivessin? ...Well, you know what? Nevermind, it's none of my business, really. I came here to find work, so that's what I intend to focus upon. I'm sorry if my insistence on autonomy led or contributed to Oswin's outburst in any way."

Having said this, Tim walks over to the cot he paid for, and sits down, testing its firmness before committing his entire weight to it. Then he sits his shield next to the cot, where it stands of its own accord, having been balanced to do so. Tim removes his silk jacket, and drapes it over the shield. Then he removes the sword from his back, lying back on the cot, clutching the sword with the pommel resting on his chest, like the carved relief of a king's sarcophagus. "Good night, all," he says.
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim frowns with concern. "I guess that perhaps those two have a history of bad blood between them? I don't mean to pry, but I couldn't help but overhear Fore mention someone named Kivessin? ...Well, you know what? Nevermind, it's none of my business, really. I came here to find work, so that's what I intend to focus upon. I'm sorry if my insistence on autonomy led or contributed to Oswin's outburst in any way."

As Baghdassar gathers up Fore in his arms, Aerona speaks softly to Tim. "Fore only tells people about Kivessin once he considers them a friend. And Oswin's behavior is not anyone's fault but his own. He's hard and can be unfeeling. He always champions the causes of the town. It's just the way he does it that rubs people the wrong way. Think nothing more of it."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Having said this, Tim walks over to the cot he paid for, and sits down, testing its firmness before committing his entire weight to it. Then he sits his shield next to the cot, where it stands of its own accord, having been balanced to do so. Tim removes his silk jacket, and drapes it over the shield. Then he removes the sword from his back, lying back on the cot, clutching the sword with the pommel resting on his chest, like the carved relief of a king's sarcophagus. "Good night, all," he says.

Tim and the others watch as Baghdassar takes the forlorn elf out through a hidden back door that had been obscured by angular design in the inn's outer wall. There doesn't seem to any magic involved in the design, but it an impressive sight regardless. Baghdassar and his charge are simply there and then not there; he doesn't return to the inn until noon the next day.

After making sure everyone is settled for the night, Aerona opens a small door behind the bar and steps in. She climbs up a tall step stool to somewhere hidden. She leaves the door open but there is an audible creak of a door and then a click of a key. The barmaid cleans the common room down from top to bottom before she too disappears through the recessed door near the back of the inn. The man who brought in the food plates takes one of the chairs and sits in quiet corner with a blade across his knees.

Others follow Tim's plan and lay down for the night once Aerona retires for the night. The communal hollow is full of snoring patrons. The rowdy atmosphere of the Fest of the Spirits continues on, outside, in the treestead of Kara's Vale for several more hours but soon the party noise is replaced by the sounds of he night. There are the calls of bird and sounds of insects droning throughout the great tree. A few of these small denizens of the night find a way into the inn through cracks but not enough to be troubling. During the night, there is an intermittent popping noise that sounds like pig strips being fried in a skillet. The night starts off warm and humid but after a storm rolls over Kara's Vale, the air cools and sleep comes easily.

The high mountains surrounding the deep valley of Ifrorian Province keep the sun at bay; it's rays don't hit the shutters of the inn until late morning even in the massive tree. The coolness of night becomes a slight chill and a frost has gathered at the edge of the massive shuttered window, which was the unwilling egress for troublemakers from the night before. Aerona comes down for ten minutes at mid-morning to open the main door, in case anyone needs to leave early. She also has the nightman bring in an odd looking hearth made from some sort of black stone, which rolls on six stout wooden wheels. She has him place it in the center of the room and fill its circular grooves with a sweet-smelling oil. She lights the oil, which burns slowly and low. It warms the room to a comfortable level by the noon hour.

Aerona disappears back up to her loft until midday. Most of the patrons sleep in but a few from the hollow stumble out into the frosty morning with bleary eyes and uneven steps. The rest of Kara's Vale sounds to be still in quiet slumber.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:35 pm

Just before midday, Tim rises and stretches, full of yawns and ho-hums. After a minute or two, he puts his silk jacket back on. The sword he was holding on his chest as he slept is returned to its quick-draw rig on Tim's back. For the moment, he leaves his curved door shield on the floor, where he left it. He looks over at the other cots, where Evermithe and Siliarilas had been sleeping, to see if they are still there, and to see whether or not either of them is awake. It is Tim's intention to strike up a conversation with them, since Oswin's opportunity has now dried up, and these two gentlemen had seemed to be in the planning stages of some sort of expedition; Tim muses to himself, ~Employment is employment. Tree of Life, missing Elven children... I'm up for anything at this point, as long as there's coin to be had.~
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Evermithe Rises early and takes a walk about for a bit looking the layout of the treestead over in detail
his Pack remains under the Cot he slept on and he returns shortly before midday to eat and collect his personal effects
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Evermithe wrote:he returns shortly before midday to eat and collect his personal effects.

When Evermithe returns, Tim greets him, saying, "Hello, friend. I am Sir Tymbeck Valencia, and I'd like to talk to you about your quest; I'm looking for gainful employment, and this quest of yours to find the child and the tree seems like an admirable and worthy cause. I was wondering if you, and Siliarilas, and this Fore fellow would like to meet sometime today, and discuss it? What say you, friend?"
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Good day to you my Good Knight

I welcome your company and those of your companions as well
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:43 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Evermithe wrote:he returns shortly before midday to eat and collect his personal effects.

When Evermithe returns, Tim greets him, saying, "Hello, friend. I am Sir Tymbeck Valencia, and I'd like to talk to you about your quest; I'm looking for gainful employment, and this quest of yours to find the child and the tree seems like an admirable and worthy cause. I was wondering if you, and Siliarilas, and this Fore fellow would like to meet sometime today, and discuss it? What say you, friend?"

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Good day to you my Good Knight

I welcome your company and those of your companions as well

Baghdassar take note of the three adventurers gathering together to talk about the elven child and Fore's role to play.

"It's probably best that i take you to his place," he says. "Fore likely had a tough night and might not completely remember what transpired. Three strangers appearing at his door might spook him."

The big man nods politely once the trio's accepts his offer, and after making sure Aerona can spare him, he leads the three adventurers down several levels to a ramshackle thatched hut that looks like its going to teether off its platform and fall to the ground below. It and the hut, however, holds Baghdassar's weight as he approaches the door. "Uhm, wait here a moment," the big man says. He heads inside and closes the door behind him.

At first there is silence, but then a ruckus erupts inside. The trio all can here Fore's voice raised in fear, "Who's there? Get out or taste my steel!"

"It's me you sully," Baghdassar yells back. "Put that damn thing down! You have visitors outside!"

"It's to early for this, Bagh."

"It's the elf you spoke to last night. It's about the child he's seeking. And the big man named Tim and the other one, too. They want your help."

"Last night, wait, ur, I r-remember. They really want me along even after..."

"Don't worry about that. Oswin isn't involved anymore."

"Al'right."

Baghdassar opens the door and waves the trio inside. The place is less of a shamble inside than out. The home smells more like an elvish garden than an old hovel. The vegetation of the town's massive tree has crept into the elf man's hovel. It makes the place awash with greens and yellows. There are wild flowers growing along the walls and a small cat dozes on a comfortable bed covered in a woven blanket of leaves.

"Welcome," Fore says. "Sorry about last night. I had a bit too much to drink." Bagh tells me that you still want to find the elven child. I'm willing to help. Sit anywhere you like and well figure out where to start. Just don't sit on any of the flowers, please."
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:33 pm

"greetings Fore"

turning to the others in the room

"to those who do not yet know and now that I am away from potentially irksome ears
I'm fairly certain that most of you have by now figured out that I am not from around here
well, this is very true. not only am I not from this area, I am not from this world
I am Evermithe Woodshadow. Protector for the Great Tree of Life and Scout in service to the Kozakuran Empire's Explorer Corp's

as for why I am here
the Great Tree has made in known to my Family Clan that a Wood Elf child of this world was born with the gift of Arcane Magic
a particularly rare gift among all Wood Elves who otherwise bear a disdain for the Arcane Arts
I have been dispatched here to speak to the parents and clan elders about the child and seek their approval to allow the child to be trained as a Protector
for the greater benefit of all Elven Kind
my secondary Goal is to locate the Elven Tree of Life on this world which as yet lies undiscovered somewhere in Vrocia and construct a Temple there
so that all elves may safely complete their pilgrimage to pray and seek the Tree's Blessings
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:16 pm

"Not from this world?" Tim says, with a quizzical look on his face. "I don't understand... What other worlds are there? ...Are you a spirit?"
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

Postby Knightfall » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 pm

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:"greetings Fore"

"Hello," Fore replies with a meek smile.

"Well, I must get back to work," Baghdassar says. "Take care of yourself, Fore."

"Thanks Bagh," Fore replies.

The large bouncer shows himself outt the hut.

turning to the others in the room

"to those who do not yet know and now that I am away from potentially irksome ears
I'm fairly certain that most of you have by now figured out that I am not from around here
well, this is very true. not only am I not from this area, I am not from this world
I am Evermithe Woodshadow. Protector for the Great Tree of Life and Scout in service to the Kozakuran Empire's Explorer Corp's

"R-really, I didn't imagine that part of our conversation," Fore is taken aback by Evermithe's words. "The Great Tree of Life! I'm not sure how to respond. The Tree is little more than a myth here in Vrocia." Fore looks at Evermithe with awe. "I've never met anyone whose claimed to be from beyond the stars, although I've heard legends amongst my own clan about sky travelers. You don't look like a demigod. Is this Kozakuran Empire a m-mortal land?"

as for why I am here
the Great Tree has made in known to my Family Clan that a Wood Elf child of this world was born with the gift of Arcane Magic
a particularly rare gift among all Wood Elves who otherwise bear a disdain for the Arcane Arts
I have been dispatched here to speak to the parents and clan elders about the child and seek their approval to allow the child to be trained as a Protector
for the greater benefit of all Elven Kind
my secondary Goal is to locate the Elven Tree of Life on this world which as yet lies undiscovered somewhere in Vrocia and construct a Temple there
so that all elves may safely complete their pilgrimage to pray and seek the Tree's Blessings

"Disdain for the Arcane Arts," Fore says with a raised eyebrow. "I wouldn't say disdain. A grudging and sometimes fearful respect, maybe. Of course, each clan has its own taboos. The Amontaurs, for example, don't have such taboos when it comes to arcana. Did I mention them last night? I-I can't remember. It's all a bit fuzzy."

Fore picks two of the flowers from the wall and crushes them up into a mug of water. He sits it in the windowsill in the sun. He sits on the bed and strokes the cat on the head. "If the child is amongst them, then more than likely they will not let you take the child. Their Elders can be very stubborn. Still, it might be a good place to start although the trip will be a long one, unless." Fore looks at Evermithe hopefully. "Do you have a star chariot? You know, that's a stupid question, forget I asked." Fore moves back to the window to try to hide his red face. "The Amontaurs live in the Khoawood far to the northwest -- east of a village called Northpass. The Khoawona will be able to tell us where the Amontaur clan is planning to spend the summer.

"There is a good road from the Khadbridge to the town of Ramshorn, but after that, the road is treacherous. Parts of the road in the lower hills could be flooded after the spring thaw, but I haven't heard anything. Of course, we'd have to start our journey by either going around the Western Karawood or cutting through it on one of its many trails. It's 'usually' safer to go through the forest, especially as part of a caravan. It might be best to hire on to a caravan heading to Ramshorn. They're always looking for guards. After that, we'd be on our own to the Northfork. There is a traveler's lodge there but little else. The western fork leads to Northpass while the eastern one leads up into the low mountains where Hwen Hold stands. We'd want to go east and then take the trail to Khoawona. I estimate that it would be at least 300 miles of trails and roads from Kara's Vale to Khoawona, if we don't go around the Karawood. We could take the north road and then cut through the Upcross Valley but I really don't recommend it. The Bandit King and his ilk."

Fore picks up the mug and drinks down the water and crushed flowers. He takes more flowers from the wall and refills the mug. He places it back on the windowsill before moving back to the bed. He picks up the cat and puts it in his lap. He looks at the trio of adventurers. "What do you think? Is it worth your time to make the trip?"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Fore wrote:Fore looks at Evermithe with awe. "I've never met anyone whose claimed to be from beyond the stars, although I've heard legends amongst my own clan about sky travelers. You don't look like a demigod. Is this Kozakuran Empire a m-mortal land?"

Tim listens carefully to Fore's assessment, before speaking: "Ah, so you're not from the spirit realm, you're from the stars. You certainly look mortal enough; what sort of magic brought you here? Was it a spell? A mystic portal? A magical skyship, perhaps? ---The reason I ask must be obvious by now. If you came here via the skills or methods of others, then you're stuck just as we are, hoofing it all the way to who-knows-where... but if you came here by your own talents, then perhaps you have the power to expedite our journey?"

Fore wrote: It might be best to hire on to a caravan heading to Ramshorn. They're always looking for guards. After that, we'd be on our own to the Northfork. There is a traveler's lodge there but little else. The western fork leads to Northpass while the eastern one leads up into the low mountains where Hwen Hold stands. We'd want to go east and then take the trail to Khoawona. I estimate that it would be at least 300 miles of trails and roads from Kara's Vale to Khoawona, if we don't go around the Karawood.

Tim laughs heartily, "300 Miles? Is that all? That's a 20-day march, if you cover 15 miles a day. I've done that, and more; but of course, I'm used to it. We can slow the pace if need-be, to around 10-12 miles a day, and we'll still arrive in a month's time. And as you said, if we hire on as caravan guards, we'll be well-fed for the first leg of the journey. And I brought some beer along with me, so we'll be swimming in refreshment."

Fore wrote: "What do you think? Is it worth your time to make the trip?"

"It's for a good cause," Tim says, "Of course it's worth my time. What say the rest of you?"
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin

DM posting as Siliarilas...

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:36 pm

"I'm in," Siliarilas says. He find a nice spot to sit, as he listens to Tim's bravado. "It shouldn't be a vexing journey yet we should be cautious. I vote for the caravan."

OOC: Posting minor dialog for Siliarilas since Jonathan is having computer difficulties.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:32 am

I arrived here aboard an Explorer Corp's Courier Ship bringing updates and news to the Imperial Embassy in the Capital
while other means are available for getting around
travel by Spelljammer is the most cost effective and safest means
I do have a local Mount stabled below but otherwise per our Agreement with the Rulers of this realm
I am not permitted the use of craft from my people for risk of drawing undue attention
Kozakura is a vast Star Spanning realm numbering many thousands of individual colonies and allied powers working together to maintain peace and prosperity
it is a real place filled with wonder and amazing beauty
the Great Tree is no Myth, it is as real as this house and far more

your option of hiring onto a Caravan is useful in both providing a means to cover a goodly portion of our trip
it will also earn a bit of coin we can later use once we begin our second leg
given the sensitivity of my being here I would suggest we avoid as best as possible this Bandit
my training allows me to travel on foot more than 25 miles on any given day and a good mount can nearly double that

<DM Note = while Evermithe is speaking and hearing the others viewpoints he is keeping his sharp hearing tuned to the outside listening for eavesdroppers>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Hobgoblin

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe