[Almagra] AD&D2E PbP Game: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Fore wrote: It might be best to hire on to a caravan heading to Ramshorn. They're always looking for guards. After that, we'd be on our own to the Northfork. There is a traveler's lodge there but little else. The western fork leads to Northpass while the eastern one leads up into the low mountains where Hwen Hold stands. We'd want to go east and then take the trail to Khoawona. I estimate that it would be at least 300 miles of trails and roads from Kara's Vale to Khoawona, if we don't go around the Karawood.


Tim laughs heartily, "300 Miles? Is that all? That's a 20-day march, if you cover 15 miles a day. I've done that, and more; but of course, I'm used to it. We can slow the pace if need-be, to around 10-12 miles a day, and we'll still arrive in a month's time. And as you said, if we hire on as caravan guards, we'll be well-fed for the first leg of the journey. And I brought some beer along with me, so we'll be swimming in refreshment."

Fore seems surprised by Tim's mirth but then he smiles. "Well, it seems I've found some companions with vigor," he chuckles. "The last group of 'heroes' I joined up with were scared of their own shadows. It will be nice to travel with proper adventurers again."

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Fore wrote: "What do you think? Is it worth your time to make the trip?"


"It's for a good cause," Tim says, "Of course it's worth my time. What say the rest of you?"

Knightfall (as Siliarilas) wrote:"I'm in," Siliarilas says. He find a nice spot to sit, as he listens to Tim's bravado. "It shouldn't be a vexing journey yet we should be cautious. I vote for the caravan."

"Good, good! Caution is wise but that doesn't mean we can't jump in with both feet if things get dangerous."

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:I arrived here aboard an Explorer Corp's Courier Ship bringing updates and news to the Imperial Embassy in the Capital
while other means are available for getting around
travel by Spelljammer is the most cost effective and safest means
I do have a local Mount stabled below but otherwise per our Agreement with the Rulers of this realm
I am not permitted the use of craft from my people for risk of drawing undue attention
Kozakura is a vast Star Spanning realm numbering many thousands of individual colonies and allied powers working together to maintain peace and prosperity
it is a real place filled with wonder and amazing beauty
the Great Tree is no Myth, it is as real as this house and far more

"Hmm, I had no idea that Vrocia had dealings with sky empires. Of course, I haven't been to Ilfrey in years, not since..." Fore trails off for a second. "I do understand why King Wyrran wouldn't want you flying over his kingdom in this spelljammer of yours. It would cause a bit of an uproar, especially amongst the Aerostatician Guild.

"I'd like to see this Great Tree." Fore still seems a bit in awe of Evermithe. "It sounds, breathtaking."

your option of hiring onto a Caravan is useful in both providing a means to cover a goodly portion of our trip
it will also earn a bit of coin we can later use once we begin our second leg
given the sensitivity of my being here I would suggest we avoid as best as possible this Bandit
my training allows me to travel on foot more than 25 miles on any given day and a good mount can nearly double that

"It sounds like we're all in agreement. We can find employment with the Cavalcade Guild. Nuzeare Warmriver has likely already set up the guild's stall in the Mornmarket." Fore gathers up what he needs for the trip while the others sit and wait. Once finished, he scoops up his cat in one arm and a short sword in the other. He leads the group out onto th walkway and locks his home by pushing a big rock in front of the door. "I have to drop off Titangazer, here, with a friend before we get going. I'll meet you at the market. Just head down to the ground and follow the smell of horses. It won't be hard to find. I'll be there as soon as I can." Fore disappears up onto the next tier of the town.

"Well, I guess we should find this Mornmarket," Siliarilas suggests. He takes the lead towards the stairs leading down to the lower tiers.

As the trio travels down to the ground, Kara's Vale slowly comes alive with the bustle of morning. People go about their business and children play on the wooden walkways. The town's diversity is noticable in the light of day. There are almost as many elves as humans and the two races seem to mix easily. There are halfling and gnomes too. The town's dwarves seem to live on the ground for the most part. The trio even sees one or two half-orcs.

It isn't hard to find the Mornmarket. If the smell of horses hadn't lead the trio to it, the noise of its hawkers and customers would have. It is here that Kara's Vale shows itself more as a human town than an elven tree community. At the edge of the market, which is surrounded by several single-story stone and wooden buildings, is a sign that reads Fighting and stealing will be punished severely.

The diversity of the market goes well beyond the town's upper tiers. The trio sees almost every type of demihuman subrace they can think of as well as numerous races that are consider monstrous. There are lizardkin and catkin aplenty and to the trio's surprise even the odd small goblinoid wandering around freely. Just when the trio thinks they've seen everything, a centaur walks by carrying a bundle of blades. The market is heavily patrolled by guards and there is more tension here than elsewhere in the town.

"This is not what I was expecting," Siliarilas says. "If I didn't know better, I'd think we were in the Highwalk Market of Kluanburgh. It's surprising, surreal."

The trio is carried by the wind to the stall of the Cavalcade Guild. A large dwarf woman is sitting behind a large table looking over ledgers while a tall man looks over several merceneries looking for work.

"No you won't do," he says. "You'd get eaten or killed long before the wagons reach Haerndean. Move along."

The mercenaries leave in anger shouting insults at him. Several guards appear and tell them to be civil. The mercenaries object and get hauled away for their troubles.

"Amateurs," the man says. He looks at the trio. "Looking for work? I need souls with some heart and muscle." He looks at Tim more carefully. "A Scarlet Crosser, eh? Were you mustered out?"
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Tall Man wrote:He looks at Tim more carefully. "A Scarlet Crosser, eh? Were you mustered out?"


Tim smiles, "Yes, my term of service has ended, although I am still bound by my oath to assist any local proxy of the King's authority, should he so command it. But if you see fit to employ me, such a proxy would need your permission, before commanding me to leave my assigned duties and accompany him elsewhere. Unless of course, my presence was commanded directly by the King or a member of his Royal Court."

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:"...travel by Spelljammer is the most cost effective and safest means."


Tim ponders this concept for a moment; the idea of travel through the skies, and out amongst the stars, is new to him. "Spelljammer? Is that what these skyships of yours are called? Do they require a Wizard as a captain? Are they spell-powered?"

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:"Kozakura is a vast Star Spanning realm numbering many thousands of individual colonies and allied powers working together to maintain peace and prosperity."


"So each of the stars we see in the night sky is a different world? With people living on them? And marshes, and swamps, and deserts, and grasslands, and forests? And unknown kingdoms, with unknown histories and heraldry? Wow. That's a lot to take in. Which star is your home?"
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:19 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Tall Man wrote:He looks at Tim more carefully. "A Scarlet Crosser, eh? Were you mustered out?"


Tim smiles, "Yes, my term of service has ended, although I am still bound by my oath to assist any local proxy of the King's authority, should he so command it. But if you see fit to employ me, such a proxy would need your permission, before commanding me to leave my assigned duties and accompany him elsewhere. Unless of course, my presence was commanded directly by the King or a member of his Royal Court."

"Won't have to worry about that here," the man replies. "The closest thing to a proxy, as you call it, in this town is an old sod who spends most of his time in a bottle. The king's influence doesn't usually come this far northwest. Kara's Vale has never been consider important enough to have an official 'Speaker' for the King's Court. This isn't Ifror or Haerndean, after all."

"Hector, time is business." the dwarf woman reminds the man from her seat.

"Right, right," Hector replies. "I am Hector Arronaxor and this fine dwarven woman is Nuzeare Warmriver, head of the Cavalcade Guild."

"Tell me your skills, big man," Nuzeare insists. She looks at him through heavy spectacles. "And your scrawny elf friends there, can they hold their own in a fight. eh?"

"Nuzeare, he is a Scarlet Crosser. I'm sure he can handle himself."

"Bah! Uniforms are for ceremony not hard work," she complains. "There will be no one to carry your gear for you, Crosser. In fact, you might have to carry some petty nobleman's fancy baggage depending on where I send you."

"Actually," Fore says after running up, a bit out of breath. "We need to go to Ramshorn."

"Fore, my boy! How's my favorite tracker?" Nuzeare quickly is up and around the table to give Fore a bear hug. "You know these mercenaries?"

"Adventurers, Nuz. They're not hireswords," he says, even more winded now. "It's a quest."

"Off on another one of your adventures, are you my boy?" She lets go and slaps him on the back. "Well, if you're willing to vouch for 'em, I'll give 'em a break."

"Uhm, yes ma'am," Fore says sheepishly. "We're seeking a... a mystery amongst the Amontuar Clan."

"Are you mad, child?" Nuzeare looks like she's going to slap him again but this time on the head. "You know those mountain woods are haunted."

"That's, how do humans say it, ah yes, that's hogwash, Nuz," Fore insists. "There are no ghosts in the Khoawood. It's not like I haven't been there before."

"And remind me again what happened to you the last time you went in there, eh?"

"Besides the obvious," Fore replies with a grin.

Nuzeare finally gives him that smack on the side of the head. "Don't you mock me, boy. I'll still put you over my knee!"

"Ow!" Fore complains. "Auntie Nuz, not in front of the adventurers."

The old dwarf matron looks at the trio of adventurers with some renewed disdain. "If he dies, you'll answer to me. Understood?"

"You're not going to try to stop me?" Fore says, a bit surprised.

"When have I ever been able to stop you doing anything, lad. You were a rascal when you were barely able to stand and even more of a rascal now."

"We have that special assignment going to Ramshorn," Hector mentions to Nuzeare. "It will keep him on his toes. And with a Scarlet Crosser around to watch him, on his best behavior."

"Good idea," Nuzeare replies. She's grinning and rubbing her whiskers. "A certain young lady is here in the vale visiting an old friend of her father before traveling north to Ramshorn and then on to Hwen Hold to meet her new husband. A Lady Mirabell Littlechild from the Meister's Court in Haerndean. The match cements a longstanding agreement between King Wyrran and the Meister. The groom is one of the king's distant cousins. She must get there safely and be pristine." Nuzeare looks at Tim. "I'm sure you understand what that means."

She looks back to Fore, "I would never send you with her on your own, but with him around, I know you'll behave."

"S-sounds s-simple enough," Fore mutters.

"The job will pay each of you 750 gold, if you provide escort to Ramshorn," says Hector. "Twice that if you travel with her all the way to Hwen Hold."

"And it will be dangerous the whole way there," Nuzeare adds. "Her caravan has already been attacked twice. Five dead guards. If the mission hadn't been so damn clandestine in the first place, I could have hire three times as many guards for the trip. The Meister had insisted that her journey be a minimal one, so she can get used to living in the hillvild. Hwen Hold will be her new home until next spring."

"And it is the only caravan heading in that direction. We do have another one heading north up past Witcher's Bridge, first to Croydon, and then, finally, to Thralkeld Keep in the lower peaks of the Northern Icemounts," Hector says. "That's a whole different type of danger. Bandits and very dangerous terrain past Croydon."

"And the ice giants," Nuzeare adds. "I won't be sending any of you that way. None of you would survive the trek. I doubt the Highguard sent to escort the caravan will survive it." She says Highguard with disdain.

"Nuzeare, that's a secret!" Hector says nervously. He looks around to see if anyone else heard the dwarf speaking.

"Bah, it's all a lie anyway."

OOC: Tim has heard of both the Meister and the Littlechild Family. The Meister is famous ex-bard, some would say infamous, who is a strong ally of the king. He watches over the eastern lands of the Ifrorian Province. The Littlechilds are a 'noble family on the rise' in the northern province; it is a new bloodline that has little clout in the southern half of the kingdom.

Tim and Siliarilas have both heard of the Highguard. They are a special elite force that takes their orders from the king. Very little is truly known about them since they don't wear uniforms. A rumor about them is that they're not entirely human. Others claim that they are a fiction created by the king to confuse his enemies.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Nuzeare wrote:"Bah! Uniforms are for ceremony not hard work," she complains.


Tim removes the silk jacket he is wearing, to reveal his studded leather armor, which is emblazoned with the Scarlet Cross. "You're absolutely correct, ma'am. This armor is my "working" outfit. The jacket is simply decoration. But as you can see, it is easily and quickly removable." Tim says this with a polite smile, and a bow.

Nuzeare wrote:The old dwarf matron looks at the trio of adventurers with some renewed disdain. "If he dies, you'll answer to me. Understood?"


Tim eyes her evenly, noting the grandmotherly concern in her eyes. "I shall see personally to his safety. If by sacrificing my own life, I am able to save his, then I will do it. You have my oath on that."

Nuzeare wrote: Nuzeare looks at Tim. "I'm sure you understand what that means." ...She looks back to Fore, "I would never send you with her on your own, but with him around, I know you'll behave."


Tim chuckles, lightly. "I do indeed know what it means. I'll keep him on a short leash around Lady Mirabell."

Nuzeare wrote:"And it will be dangerous the whole way there," Nuzeare adds. "Her caravan has already been attacked twice. Five dead guards."


Tim ponders that statement a moment before replying. "I don't know how or why the 5 guards died, nor the opposition they faced, but I can say one thing for sure. When the enemy sees me coming, they'll wish they had stayed at home."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:40 pm

while Tim and Fore arrange the details of the initial conversation

Evermithe hangs back a bit seemingly lost behind Tim's Bulk as the conversation continues

eventually he steps forward to introduce himself and stands next to Tim
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 am

The Market (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:28 am

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
Nuzeare wrote:The old dwarf matron looks at the trio of adventurers with some renewed disdain. "If he dies, you'll answer to me. Understood?"


Tim eyes her evenly, noting the grandmotherly concern in her eyes. "I shall see personally to his safety. If by sacrificing my own life, I am able to save his, then I will do it. You have my oath on that."

"I am standing right here," Fore bemoans. "I'm not useless in a fight."

Nuzeare wrote: Nuzeare looks at Tim. "I'm sure you understand what that means." ...She looks back to Fore, "I would never send you with her on your own, but with him around, I know you'll behave."


Tim chuckles, lightly. "I do indeed know what it means. I'll keep him on a short leash around Lady Mirabell."

"Good. Good," she replies.

Fore rolls his eyes and stalks off to brood and watch some nearby jugglers.

"He is quite quite capable," Nuzeare whispers to Tim. "When he's not distracted. Keep him busy and it should go well."

Nuzeare wrote:"And it will be dangerous the whole way there," Nuzeare adds. "Her caravan has already been attacked twice. Five dead guards."


Tim ponders that statement a moment before replying. "I don't know how or why the 5 guards died, nor the opposition they faced, but I can say one thing for sure. When the enemy sees me coming, they'll wish they had stayed at home."

"The guards that survived said they were attacked by brigands, most likely. Not your typical bandits, but soldiers for hire. One of them thought they saw a gnoll with the attackers. His eyes were probably playing tricks on him though. Gnolls are lousy soldiers."

"Why would a gnoll work with humans?" Fore ponders after steeping back into earshot. The juggler lost his balls and was now chasing several children who snatched them up.

"If the brigands were human. The guards didn't see their faces and they didn't find any bodies after the attacks."

"It's a mystery to be solved on the road," Hector says. "The lady's caravan can't wait much longer." He looks at Tim, "It sounds like we have an agreement," Hector says. "Here is the contract. If you and your companions will sign your names here under the 'X', I will take you to where Lady Mirabell's caravan is waiting. It's not far from here."

Siliarilas steps up quickly and signs his name. He seems eager to get back on the road.

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:while Tim and Fore arrange the details of the initial conversation

Evermithe hangs back a bit seemingly lost behind Tim's Bulk as the conversation continues

eventually he steps forward to introduce himself and stands next to Tim

"It's good to meet you, Evermithe," the dwarf matron shakes his hand. "You look like you can handle yourself. I like those swords. Do you mind telling me where you got them? I've never seen anything like them before."

"Nuzeare, we really need them to get going," Hector says. "The lady was very insistent that once we found someone, we should bring them to her right away."

"Tut, tut," Nuzeare replies. "There's still some time. And I don't answer to spoiled little human maids"

"He's an offworlder, Nuz. He's a star traveler," Fore says to her quietly while nodding to Evermithe.

"What did I tell you about telling me tall tales?" Nuzeare pokes Fore hard in the ribs.

"It's true. I swear. Tell her, Evermithe."
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:31 pm

"It's good to meet you, Evermithe," the dwarf matron shakes his hand. "You look like you can handle yourself.

I like those swords. Do you mind telling me where you got them? I've never seen anything like them before."


"these are family blades granted to me by the Great Tree for my service as Protector

Fore speaks the truth
but it is something I do not wish to be broadly known
I can speak more once we are someplace more secure" he continues in a subdued whisper

being of Noble blood myself I know how some members of my station can act
it is best we go to meet this Lady and prepare for our departure

he steps up and signs his name

****game note****
anyone who looks at his signature won't recognize the writing unless they know <Read/Write Imperial Common> which is essentially Japanese handwriting
otherwise it looks like a small bird got ink on its feet and then skidded across the page trying to run off
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 am

Meeting the Lady

Postby Knightfall » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:12 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:
"It's good to meet you, Evermithe," the dwarf matron shakes his hand. "You look like you can handle yourself.

I like those swords. Do you mind telling me where you got them? I've never seen anything like them before."

"these are family blades granted to me by the Great Tree for my service as Protector

"Blades from a tree," Nuzeare ponders while rubbing her chin. "Well, my people forge metal from the stone, so I guess anything is possible."

Fore speaks the truth
but it is something I do not wish to be broadly known
I can speak more once we are someplace more secure" he continues in a subdued whisper

Nuzeare face becomes quizzical at Evermithe assertion of his place in the universe. The dwarf matron looks at the sky and then at the elf man. "That is, an amazing tale," she lowers her voice. "An elf that comes from the stars. I can see why you wouldn't want it to become common knowledge. Fair warning, there are some that might ridicule your story if they learn of this otherworldly origin."

She looks at Fore. "Mums the word, my boy."

Fore nods his head as he signs his name to contract.

being of Noble blood myself I know how some members of my station can act
it is best we go to meet this Lady and prepare for our departure

he steps up and signs his name

****game note****
anyone who looks at his signature won't recognize the writing unless they know <Read/Write Imperial Common> which is essentially Japanese handwriting
otherwise it looks like a small bird got ink on its feet and then skidded across the page trying to run off

Hector looks over the signature trying to decipher it. He shows it to Nuzeare.

"Interesting script you have there," she says. "It almost looks runic. Another reason for me to like you."

She hands it back to Hector who passes it to Tim. The two wait for the big man to sign it. Once he does, Nuzeare says her goodbyes to Fore and then Hector leads the group out of the Mornmarket and away from Kara's Vale. After a short trip down the road, he leads them to the edge of a small stand of trees near a brook. There, a nondescript wagon sits clandestinely half-hidden in some underbrush. There are two horses to pull the wagon, and eight other horses tied to nearby trees.

"Halt," a small man orders. "You are not... oh Hector, it's you." The greets Hector with a handshake and then looks at the four adventurers. "So, you found us some new guards and just in time too. Lady Mirabell is quite... irritated. She wanted to be underway by now."

"Henry," a lilting feminine voice rings out. "That better be them."

"Yes Milady, the new guards are here." He tries not to roll his eyes as Hector passes him the signed contract.

"Well then lets get going. We've stayed here long enough." The Lady Mirabell Littlechild comes around the wagon into view. She is a slip of a girl in fine garments that attest her station. She is beautiful in a gangling sort of way, which Fore notices immediately. She stops when she sees Tim. "A knight of the Scarlett Cross. You, you've done well Mr. Hector. I must congratulate you and Nuzeare. I-I feel safer already."

She looks at the elves and Fore with what looks like mild surprise. "And I hadn't expected forest kin to guide the way. I'm sure they'll get us there safely. Well, more safely than the last bunch of guards who didn't have an eye for the wilderness. Her eyes fall on Evermithe with keen interest. "You are most intriguing. I've met many elves but none that looked like you do. Are you from Quessir Taureandor?"

OOC: Quessir Taureandor is a massive forest home to a variety of elves. The Olvinwall Mountains to the east divide those lands from Vrocia's southerly Striskian Province. Vrocia's relations with those elves are cordial but haven't ever truly been formalized (and likely won't be without a major shift in the politics of the region).

Evermithe was briefed on the elvish forest kingdom, which wouldn't allow his Spelljammer to visit their lands. Tim knows of the land as well. He's fought some major battles in the hills near Kalchith that lead up into the Olvinwall Mountains and met many Taureandoran elves during his time there. He's even fought alongside a few of them in his day.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 pm

Tellerian (OOC) wrote: Tim will ride his war horse, and lead his draft horse on the right side, even with the war horse. Tim will transfer 2 saddlebags from the war horse to the draft horse. He will also hang the door shield on the draft horse's left flank. This will remove 62 pounds worth of encumbrance from the war horse (bringing him down to half-move, 379 lbs. encumbrance, which is a move rate of 7") and bringing the draft horse up from its previous load of 186 lbs., up to a load of 248 lbs., which is still un-encumbered move rate for the draft horse, who doesn't lose move until 260 lbs. That means the draft horse can still move up to 12" move rate, although it will keep pace with the other, slower animals. If Tim must fight, he will jump down on the war horse's right flank, and grab the door shield from the draft horse's left flank, i.e., he will jump down between the two horses to grab the shield.


Image

Tim smiles, and says, "I'm ready when everyone else is. It's a fine day to be on the road."
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

On the trail to Khadfield

Postby Knightfall » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:Tim smiles, and says, "I'm ready when everyone else is. It's a fine day to be on the road."

"Well said knight," Lady Mirabell agrees. She orders her man Henry to gather the camp and prepare to depart. He jumps to her command and enlists Fore to help with packing the wagon.

"I will leave you in Henry's capable hands," Hector shakes the hands of the trio before departing back to town. "Stick to the trails and roads. Good luck."

The trio soon discover that there is a broken cart as well as the wagon. The draft horse that had pulled it had died shortly after the caravan arrived in Kara's Vale. Another victim of the attackers. The trio of adventurers quickly retrieve their mounts from where they're stabled in town and arrive back at the caravan just in time. Henry and Fore have managed to hitch two of the extra horses to the front of the wagon. Henry sits at the front of the wagon, ready to guide the team down the trail through the forest. Fore sits atop one of the other riding horses and two more are tied to the back of the wagon with pack saddlebags. The lady is out of sight in the enclosed wagon.

The three other horses are being ridden by what appears to be left of the first contingent of guards. There is a bulky man in poorly shaped armor and two women in leathers with fine swords. The man looks uncomfrtable on the horse while the two women are at ease on the horses.

"That was fast," Henry says once the trio arrives back. "This here is Urkold of Khilden, and these are milady's personal guardians, Nerisha Skybloom and Ornia Redfall."

The man grunts. The two women acknowledge the trio with a nod. Both wear fine helms that obscure the upper parts of their faces. "Time to go, Henry," Nerisha insists. Ornia keeps a watchful eye on Fore.

"Yes, quite right," Henry agrees.

"Let's go already," Lady Mirabell yells from within the wagon.

"Quite the handful, isn't she," Fore whispers to Siliarilas.

"Mind your tongue, pup," Ornia snaps. "I can hear you from a mile away."

Fore sits in the saddle with his mouth agape. Henry chuckles as he reins the horses forward into the forest. An hour passes before anyone says anything.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 am

Evermithe ties his horse off to trail behind the wagon as the young Noble asks her question of him
he bows respectfully to her before answering <prof. Etiquette Court>

"I am not from there but I do have some knowledge or the realm"

securing his pack to his horse so he can operate fully unencumbered
he turns to the others as he strings his bow

"since we will be traveling at a stately pace, I can operate efficiently on foot among the trees covering our flanks
any who seek to cause a problem will have a terrible time attempting to locate me as the forest is my home
as anyone who knows of Wood Elves will attest, it Takes a Wood Elf to find a Wood Elf"

***game note****
Evermithe like all Wood Elves gains an innate 95% chance to hide in natural environments
they also gain the same 95% chance to pass without trace in natural Environments

his plan is to steadily sweep the area ahead and to either side of the route the wagon is on looking for troublemakers
seeking to ambush the caravan and in turn Ambush the ambushers thus blowing their cover before they can spring their trap
he will operate to 100' left and right of the trail far enough ahead of anyone in metal armor to avoid the stealth penalties incurred for proximity
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 am

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:42 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Evermithe ties his horse off to trail behind the wagon as the young Noble asks her question of him
he bows respectfully to her before answering <prof. Etiquette Court>

"I am not from there but I do have some knowledge of the realm"

The young pricess is impressed with Evermithe's courtly manners. She curtsies and lets him escort her to her wagon. "We shall talk more later, Sir Elf."

securing his pack to his horse so he can operate fully unencumbered
he turns to the others as he strings his bow

"since we will be traveling at a stately pace, I can operate efficiently on foot among the trees covering our flanks
any who seek to cause a problem will have a terrible time attempting to locate me as the forest is my home
as anyone who knows of Wood Elves will attest, it Takes a Wood Elf to find a Wood Elf"

"Take the lead, my friend, and we shall follow," Henry replies. "Glad to have you leading the way."

Fore stays on his horse but keeps his eyes open nonetheless.

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:OOC: ***game note****
Evermithe like all Wood Elves gains an innate 95% chance to hide in natural environments
they also gain the same 95% chance to pass without trace in natural Environments

his plan is to steadily sweep the area ahead and to either side of the route the wagon is on looking for troublemakers
seeking to ambush the caravan and in turn Ambush the ambushers thus blowing their cover before they can spring their trap
he will operate to 100' left and right of the trail far enough ahead of anyone in metal armor to avoid the stealth penalties incurred for proximity

After an hour of quiet riding, with Evermithe scouting ahead, the caravan comes to a sharp turn in the path through the forest. The forest grows a little darker and everything is silent and extremely still. A light mist hangs near the ground. There is moisture in the air but it hasn't yet begun to rain.

While scouting ahead, Evermithe comes across a grisly scene near the bend in the trail. A giant beetle is chewing on what looks to be a middle-aged halfling. The large creature has pulled the halfling into the underbrush while another beetle is posed on the edge of the trail waiting for the next possible meal to pass by. The beetle and prone halfling are 16 feet away from Evermithe. The other beetle is 20 feet away. Neither of large vermin have seen him in the foliage. Evermithe can see the halfling twitch as the beetle bites down.

The caravan will soon be at the bend in the trail.

OOC: 1d10-3-1+2+2=6 (PCs not surprised); 1d10-4-1+2=3 (Evermithe surprises giant beetles); Encounter distance (in feet) > 4d6=16
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:14 pm

OOC:

Is there any reason for the caravan guards (i.e., her guards, Fore, and I) to be on guard? Has Evermithe given any sign to us that he's seen something? If so, Tim will stop his horses, dismount, and grab his shield.
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
OOC: Is there any reason for the caravan guards (i.e., her guards, Fore, and I) to be on guard? Has Evermithe given any sign to us that he's seen something? If so, Tim will stop his horses, dismount, and grab his shield.

OOC: I don't believe Evermithe has shouted out a warning at this point. The guards would be as alert as any group that is traveling through a forest. Tim understands mabushes and knows that the bend in the trail is a good place for one.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Evermithe moves into attack position well behind the Beetle munching on the Halfling <approx 30'>

taking aim into it's rear end he fires a single arrow into it before leaping up into the branches
<+3 missile att, +1 Racial, +1 Chosen Weapon, +2 rear attack > 13 THAC0
damage on a successful strike is 1D8+3 < +1 Str, & +2 point blank>

the scream of an arrow in flight pierces the stillness and it is very close indeed along with much thrashing in the underbrush
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 am

Beetle Ambush

Postby Knightfall » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Evermithe moves into attack position well behind the Beetle munching on the Halfling <approx 30'>

taking aim into it's rear end he fires a single arrow into it before leaping up into the branches
OOC:<+3 missile att, +1 Racial, +1 Chosen Weapon, +2 rear attack > 13 THAC0
damage on a successful strike is 1D8+3 < +1 Str, & +2 point blank>

the scream of an arrow in flight pierces the stillness and it is very close indeed along with much thrashing in the underbrush

The arrow easily finds its mark against the massive beetle. It pierces the creature's backside and sinks in deep. The beetle hisses in pain, shuffles a bit in the brush, and then falls down dead.

OOC: Attack roll (+1 for surprise) > 1d20=20 (Natural 20; Critical Hit [dmg x2]); Damage > 2d8+3=17 | Nice! :cool:
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Beetle Ambush (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 am

The other beetle rushes out onto the trail and rushes towards Tim's horse. It digs its mandibles into horseflesh and savors the trickle of blood that flows from the equine. The other horses whinny in fear at the smell of blood.

OOC: Attack vs. THAC0 8 > 1d20=19 (hit); Damage > 3d6=3 | Arrg! I got three 1s!!! :evil:

I didn't see any mention of whether or not Tim's horse has barding, so I assumed it doesn't.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby BPIJonathan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:41 am

Silaris spies the beetle, and quickly checks what methods at his disposal that he can use to assist. After a second or two of thinking, he decides to cast fairie fire in an attempt to distract the beast from the horse.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Shreveport, LA

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 am

BPIJonathan wrote:Silaris spies the beetle, and quickly checks what methods at his disposal that he can use to assist. After a second or two of thinking, he decides to cast fairie fire in an attempt to distract the beast from the horse.

Siliarilas' spell outlines the trees on both sides of the trail. He marks them one by one making the forest glow an eerie blue on the green foliage. The beetle doesn't seem to notice the effect. It's primitive mind is fascinated only by the blood it tastes. The spell has an effect on the horses, however. Fore's mount rears up knocking him off onto the ground and the two horses tied to the back of the wagon pull at the reins tying them to the back. Siliarilas has to work to control his mount after finishing his spell. He manages to stay in the saddle.

The warhorses the two female guards are riding are unaffected by the magic. Tim's mount, as well, is steady. It kicks at the beetle with its hooves in retaliation for the bite. the hoof closest to the beetle connects as the horse rears up. The second hoof misses. Tim holds on tight and waits for an opening. The giant beetle, momentarily distracted, finally notices the trees. While not dazzled by the spell's effect, it seems to confuse the vermin creature slightly.

OOC: Warhorse's hooves > 1d20=16 (hit), 1d20=10 (miss); Damage > 1d8=4 | Beetle's THAC0 for next round has a -1 penalty.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Beetle Ambush (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:48 pm

Tim brings his sword down on the back of the giant beetle with all his strength. The big man's massive blade cuts a deep wound in the beetle's back. The vermin struggles to stay on its feet and then collapses onto the trail, dead.

Fore watches from on his back as the beetle dies. He rubs his leg where he landed on it. His horse bolts down the path and around the bend where it stops just in view through the foliage. The other horses remain agitated with the smell of the dying beetle filling the air.

OOC: Damage > 3d6+5=18 | Christopher sent me his attack roll (a 19) through Facebook.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Tellerian Hawke » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 pm

OOC: No, his horse has no barding. That's one item that he intends to buy, eventually.


Tim dismounts from his horse, and looks at where the beetle bit her. He breathes a sigh of relief when he sees that the bite is not serious. "Does anyone have any herbs I could rub on the wound? It only nicked her, but I don't want her to get an infection." He then takes a scrap piece of cloth and wipes the bug guts off of his massive blade, before returning it to its quick-draw rig. "What a nuisance," Tim grumbles, as he half-heartedly kicks the beetle corpse once more, for good measure.
User avatar
Tellerian Hawke
Hobgoblin
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Willip, Furyondy

Beetle Ambush (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Tellerian Hawke wrote:
OOC: No, his horse has no barding. That's one item that he intends to buy, eventually.


Tim dismounts from his horse, and looks at where the beetle bit her. He breathes a sigh of relief when he sees that the bite is not serious. "Does anyone have any herbs I could rub on the wound? It only nicked her, but I don't want her to get an infection." He then takes a scrap piece of cloth and wipes the bug guts off of his massive blade, before returning it to its quick-draw rig. "What a nuisance," Tim grumbles, as he half-heartedly kicks the beetle corpse once more, for good measure.

With the giant bug dead and Tim's sense of relief after checking his horse, the others begin to relax in their saddles. The two female guards stay near the wagon and keep their eyes open for more trouble. Fore steps over to Tim and offers to take a look at the horse.

While the others seem to relax with the death of the second beetle, Evermithe keeps a sharp lookout for any other signs of danger. With the surrounding trees outlined by Siliarilas spell, he notices a rustling coming from the other side of the trail. His keen eyes see three more beetles in the underbrush heading towards the caravan. The war wizard can see that they are 90 feet away and closing fast. As they approach, the guard named Nerisha senses the danger too.

"I don't think we're done here," she says quickly. "Prepare yourselves."
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Beetle Ambush (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Evermithe takes aim at the beetle leading the charge. The foliage of the trees provide a bit of an obstacle but he waits until the beetle is partial visible and lets his arrows fly. The shot whooshes through the air over the trail and into the charging beetle on the other side. The arrow pierces the beetle's outer layer easily but this one continues to advance.

Nerisha readies her a war club and plants herself in between the vermin and the wagon. Her counterpart on the other side draws a broad sword and prepares to spur her mount forward. The bulky man named Urkold hopes down from his riding horse, ties it quickly to the wagon, and draws a fine looking scimitar.

"Here they come1" Nerisha shouts.

Evermithe fires two more arrows into the beetle before the three vermin come crashing through the underbrush.

OOC: Posted the attack rolls and damage rolls for Evermithe on the Facebook group. | Roll initiative for round two.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Beetle Ambush (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:58 am

Urkold moves quickly to meet the first of the beetles. He seems in his element as he swings his scimitar high over his head and down onto the beetle's head. Black fluid gushes from the beetle. It moves to strike back but before it can, Ornia rides up alongside it and brings her broad sword down on its back, hoping to duplicate Tim's result with the other beetle. She hits it hard and its back cracks slightly but the vermin does not die. It bites Urkold on the shoulder leaving a deep gash. The big man yelps in pain.

Nerisha meets the second beetle head on with a powerful swing of her war club. The beetle in front of her easily absorbs the blow with no damage taken. The beastly vermin is larger than the others at it has a blood-red streak down its back. The massive beetle chomps down on Nerisha with its massive pincers and nearly cuts her in two. The warrior woman falls down to the ground and does not move.

"Nerisha!" Ornia yells. "No!"
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Beetle Ambush (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:20 am

Evermithe fires again at the trailing beetle but his shot hits a tree instead. Fore moves in to try to distract the big red beetle's attention away from Nerisha while trying to find a soft spot on the vermin. His piercing strike bounces harmlessly off the beetle.

"Crap, this is bad," he says. "It's a giant red borer! Its bite is deadly!"

The third beetle crashes through the underbrush enraged by the arrows in it and seeking blood. It home in on Siliarilas and bites the elf hard on the torso. Blood gushes out onto the ground and the horse he's on bolts for the underbrush away from the beetles carrying a dying Siliarilas slumped in the saddle.

"Damn it!" Fore yells. "Somebody stop that horse!"
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
 
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests