[Almagra] AD&D2E PbP Game: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [AD&D2E PbP Game] Almagra: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Knightfall » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:03 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:answering Fore's query
"indeed, I can see through Screech's eyes using his unrivaled vision to conduct a search of the Redrun trail.
I can cover a vast amount of ground in short order focusing in on any location where a fight might have occurred
thus narrowing down possibilities of where the others might have ended up, minimizing our delay.
however, performing this will require my complete focus such that I will not be able to perform any other task or action
once I enter the Trance like State.
I will be most vulnerable until I have completed my sweep which could take a few hours.
as for your concerns regarding predators
Screech has been with us since I arrived and is still as natural and free as any other wild Raptor
my Father has one just like Screech, and has yet to find any natural creature anywhere that can outrun an Elvish Falcon in a dive"

"That's better than us traipsing all over the place trying to find these other hin," Fore replies. "Do you always think one step ahead?" Fore laughs as he places the first cut of meat on skewers over the fire.

As Fore and Axel prepare the deer, Fore hums a tune and marks symbols around the fire. He Sets aside some of the meat to dry and gives Axel the animal's liver to eat however the half-ogre chooses.

Once he is finished, he heads off to the stream to wash up. "Keep an eye of that will you?" Fore asks Silarilas.

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Evermithe then turns to Ornia who's been assisting him in sorting out Henry's strange disappearance

"I know that you have little faith in Henry's word.
I also have my misgivings about him, but what concerns me most is the complete lack of any trace of his departure
above and beyond what he already knows about Lady Mirabell.

"It is strange," Ornia agrees.

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:if he managed to depart on foot during the fog, he'll have several hours lead time on us, either back to Kara's Vale or ahead to the next village.
if he went back to Kara's Vale, we have little need or reason to go after him.
but if he ran ahead to the village in front of us, it is very possible he can stir up trouble there that could result in further delay
not to mention denying us the chance to re-provision and possibly acquire a few healing potions.

"I think is it more likely that he would go forward than back," Ornia suggests. "He wouldn't want to travel that trail back. the dead beetles will draw in scavengers. Even he would know that."

"It is still quite a walk to Khadfield from here," Fore adds. "It makes no sense that he would try to do it on his own." He looks at Ornia. "Would his prejudice about what he, uhm, saw last night make him risk leaving?" Fore glances towards Lady Mirabell who is still cooing at Evermithe's bird.

"I wouldn't have thought he'd risk his own life for his beliefs," Ornia replies.

"If he ran off towards Khadfield," Nerisha says. "It could be very bad for us. Without anyone to stop him, he will tell all what he saw. We could be facing armed guards once we get there."

"It sounds like we might have to go around," Fore nods. "And even then, the news might proceed us all the way to Ramshorn."

"Another reason for you all to help us take Lady Mirabell out of Vrocia to her real destiny," Ornia pleads.

"You really need to tell us more about what you're talking about if you want us to even consider going against the kingdom," Fore replies. He crosses his arms and shakes his head.

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:"M'Lady
this is Screech, my companion and Familiar"

"Hello Screech," Lady Mirabell says. She carefully rubs one finger on the falcon's head. Screech seems entranced by her. He bobs his head up and down and flaps his wings once before hopping up onto her arm. "Oh, aren't you friendly," the girl whispers. She rubs her finger over the bird's beak. "You see don't you, pretty bird."

There is a flash in the girl's eyes, which is mirrored in Screeches. Evermithe's head swims and he sees a vision through his companion...

Evermithe sees Lady Mirabell's marriage in the halls of Hwen Hold to a tall man with a heavy beard. She is obedient and sad even as those around her rejoice. Then he sees Nerisha crying in a forest grove over a grave with a marker that says Ornia Redfall. Nerisha has broken manacles around her feet and wrists and she is older. As she stands and steps back, the forest around her begins to burn. He watches as this fire sweeps through all the forests of Vrocia. Civilization swells across the valleys of the kingdom but the wilderness is broken and tamed. The people thrive and trumpets sound in glory. Knights march and he sees Fore and the gnome, Felgar, riding with these knights, honored and praised for their service. Then he sees himself standing on a lone hill next to two graves One is marked with a scrawled star while the other in marked with Silarilas's name. Axel stands behind the war wizard with his head bowed low.

The vision shifts and he, instead, sees Mirabell standing at the center of a henge of stones surrounded by elves and fey creatures. She is happy and lively, as she dances with Ornia under the full moon, as Felgar watches protectively nearby. Then he sees Fore being executed in a city square -- beheaded by a large knight in a black uniform while a mob looks on. He watches himself standing on an airship of unknown origin with a strange-looking elven boy by his side, as the ship is pursued by a massive dragon with the emblem of Evermithe's homeland on its forehead. Then he sees a lonely grave in a mountain pass marked with Nerisha's name. A large beastman with antlers who looks like he could be Axel stands on a nearby hill as goblins and worgs rush at him, eager for his blood. Wolves howl in the snow as the scene shifts again. Silarilas runs through the trees hounded by human riders. He turns and engulfs them in ice and wind with power granted to him by some unknown power.

The visions mingle in his mind and then he sees the entire Kingdom of Vrocia engaged in war. Who is fighting for the kingdom isn't clear, but what is clear is that war will come. Either way.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 pm

the vision leaves Evermithe's mind reeling as he staggers back a bit before falling onto his back.
the look on his face changes as if someone threw a switch to bewildered confusion as he looks up
at Lady Mirabell then to the others gathered around the fire.
it takes a few moments for him to get his thoughts back on track sufficiently enough to regain his feet
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

The Secret

Postby Knightfall » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Knightfall wrote:"Hello," Lady Mirabell waits until Kepli takes a breath and then introduces herself to Felgar. "I am glad to meet you, Mr. Darkshine. I know of your god, but I've never met a Sternshield before. Did I say that right?"

"I am glad to make your acquaintance, Sternshield," Ornia stands and bows respectfully. Felgar can see and sense the fey in her. "Your friend here was lucky indeed that we came along. We saved him from a number of giant beetles including something called a Red Borer."

The others greet the gnome one by one. Eventually, Fore comes back from his hunt with a young stag on his back. He is more than a little surprised by the gnome's presence.

"Uhm, someone want to clue me in?"

"Yes you did." He replied at Lady Mirabell inquiry. A Sternshield denotes a member of a my Divine Order. A priesthood dedicated to protecting others and communities. Although, some individuals makes this vow harder to keep that it should." He explain, sternly looking at Kepli as he concluded it.

"However, if some of Kepli's friends and relatives might still be alive, maybe we should try to rescue them. Or at the very least bring back their bodies so their family can give them a proper burial." He said in an oddly gentler tone.

"I'm sure Evermithe will be able to find them with Screech's help," Fore says as he watches the interaction between the bird and Lady Mirabell. "Hmm, she seems to have him transfixed. The bird I mean, not Ever-" For notices a strange look in Evermithe's eyes. "Evermithe," Fore says while waving his hands in front of the war wizard's eyes. "C'mon, no jokes. Evermithe? Hello, can you hear me?"

"What is it?" Kepli asks.

"I'm not sure," Fore replies. "He seems to be in some sort of trance." Fore looks at Lady Mirabell. "She is also transfixed, as is Screech."

"Oh no," Nerisha says. "Not now. Not again."

Axel and Siliarilas aren't sure what has happened to their new friend, but it doesn't look good.

"What is this about? Tell us now?" Fore barks at Ornia. "Stop keeping secrets!"

Just as Ornia is about to slap Fore, Evermithe comes out of the vision...

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:the vision leaves Evermithe's mind reeling as he staggers back a bit before falling onto his back.

Screech is frightened by what appears in his primitive mind, and the bird does his name proud before flying off into the trees where he perches on a high branch.

"Oh my," Lady Mirabell says. She stumbles back dazed. "Wh-what happened?"

"What is it, Mira?" Ornia moves quickly to grab the girl before she falls over. "What did you see?"

"Evermithe, you okay?" Fore checks on the war wizard.

"Are they al'right?" Kepli asks concerned. "What has happened?"

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:the look on his face changes as if someone threw a switch to bewildered confusion as he looks up
at Lady Mirabell then to the others gathered around the fire.
it takes a few moments for him to get his thoughts back on track sufficiently enough to regain his feet

"You look like you've seen a ghost, or something even worse," Fore says, very concerned. The wood elf ranger helps Evermithe to his feet, and once the war wizard's head clears, Fore points out where Screech flew off to. "Something scared him."

Fore looks at Lady Mirabell. The girl looks like she's going to pass out again. Ornia helps the girl sit down near the fire and covers her with her own cloak. "What did you see, my girl?"

"It, it was terrible," Lady Mirabell weeps. "Why did that happen?"

"We need to tell her, Ornia," Nerisha says. "To wait any longer could be dangerous.

Ornia sighs in resignation and nods.

"Tell me what?" Mirabell asks insistently. Her tone shifts back to her regal training.

"You know better than to speak to me in that tone of voice, child," Ornia snaps.

"But she's right," Fore says. "If you're keeping something from her, from us, you need to start talking right now."

"Lady Mirabell is meant to be a great leader amongst the fey," Nerisha says before Ornia can object. "Have you heard of the Swanmays?"

"Vaguely," Fore replies. He looks at Evermithe. "But that doesn't explain Evermithe's reaction a moment ago."

"But it does," Ornia says. She looks at the war wizard. "I don't know what you saw, but I'm certain it was confusing and contradictory. It was for me the first time she inadvertently passed me one of her visions."

"What are you talking about?" Lady Mirabell pleads. "Y-you're scaring me."

"You will probably spend the rest of your life being scared, Mira. Fate has decreed that we take you from this land and then west and south to the shores of The Lucent Waters where you will cross over to the Sacred Isles of the Swanmay where you will be sworn in to the Order of the Feathered Sisters at Heaven's Obelisk. After the ceremony is completed, you will come back to lead the swanmays of The Driawood and purge this land of its decadent rulers and take Vrocia back for the fey."

"I- I will do no such thing," Lady Mirabell insists. "You said you would help me escape the marital bondage I'm heading to, but you made no mention of becoming trapped in another life I didn't choose for myself!"

"You will be happy as one of the Sisters," Ornia insists. "It is your Fate."

"I think I'm going to hurl," Fore says, as he turns green. "I can't be a part of this mess! You going to get us all killed!"

"You are already a part of it," Ornia looks at Fore and then at Evermithe. "He has seen it. While it might be possible for you all to break the strands of Fate now entwining you, it could cost Lady Mirabell her life."

"But you want us to take a nobleborn bride sworn to marriage, arranged by King Wyrran and the Meister no less, out of the kingdom and into the Ailaithian Empire! They will think we're working for the empire! Not to mention that if the empire finds out who she is and what we're doing, they will probably kill us all and take her to Kluanburgh as a political prisoner." Fore gets right in Ornia's face and stares at her in anger.

"Yes it will be dangerous, but it is her destiny," Ornia insists. She tries to make the young ranger back down, but Fore shows considerable backbone and refuses to look away.

"I am not a s- swanmay!" Lady Mirabell yells. "I am not some shapechanging monster!"

"Lady Mirabell," Nerisha pleads. "Please calm down. The swanmay are not monsters. W-we," she pauses. "The Sisterhood is a wonderful life and, yes, while is seems to be your destiny, it is your choice. We will get you safely out Vrocia and help you go anywhere you want, if you so choose, but we implore you to hear us out."

"You promised to help me get through the mountains to Elligira," Lady Mirabell whispers with her head down. "To my distant family."

"Mira, you don't even know if that clan exists anymore," Ornia replies indignantly. "And if the Plentynbaches discover you can manifest healing abilities that go beyond being a normal cleric or druid, they will probably burn you at the stake."

"I don't believe you," Lady Mirabell replies. She tosses off Ornia's cloak and stands up defiantly. "I am a Lady of Vrocia! I will choose my own destiny! No man or fey will decide for me even if I have to go all the way through the Frostling Pass myself!"

"Gods," Fore moans. "Not the Frostling Pass, anything but that!"

"You do not have to come, Fore," Lady Mirabell says. "I release you and these others from my service, if you so choose. But if you stay with me, we go where I say."

"No, child," Ornia commands. "You are coming with us to the Sacred Isles!"

"Ornia! You cannot force her to go!" Nerisha shouts at her Sister. "If I wasn't in this condition, I'd knock you on your ass for being so stubborn!"

"I'm not sure I understand what is going on," Kepli interrupts. He looks at Felgar with concern. "Does this mean they aren't going to help us find my friends?"
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:29 am

shaking the confusion from his head and regaining clear thoughts

"Lady Mirabell is absolutely correct Ornia" the War Wizard responds politely
"no one can or will decide her fate for her.
only Lady Mirabell can choose her path and ultimate Destiny.
I do not know what vision you and Lady Nerisha saw when you were touched.
but the vision I saw showed but two possible fates, neither of which were peaceful."

Evermithe kneels down next to Lady Mirabell close enough to speak softly to her yet just back far enough to maintain proper courtesy

"M'lady, you are possessed of a truly wondrous gift from the Great Tree of Life, A gift largely beyond my comprehension
and understanding. but one of immense prestige and glory
as an Emissary of my people I must remain neutral
but as a Sworn Protector to the Great Tree of Life
I will fight to my last Arrow, Spell and very last breath to defend one who has been chosen to bear such a gift.
if you would permit, may I take you back to the wagon to lay down and rest,
I know that powers such that you possess are both physically and spiritually draining.
I swear that no harm will come unto you so long as I draw breath."

"I'm not sure I understand what is going on," Kepli interrupts. He looks at Felgar with concern. "Does this mean they aren't going to help us find my friends?"

turning to Kepli

"I will seek to locate your fallen friends young Hobbit <imperial term for Halflings in Kozakura>
but I cannot guarantee they will have survived this long if they were attacked by Goblins
if the Goblins here are anything like the ones my people fight, they will eat whatever they kill or capture"
he places his hand on the Halfling's shoulder
"it's not a fate I would wish upon anyone lad, but I will do what I can"

he returns his gaze politely to Lady Mirabell and offers his hand to help guide her if she so chooses
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Knightfall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 am

Evermithe kneels down next to Lady Mirabell close enough to speak softly to her yet just back far enough to maintain proper courtesy

"M'lady, you are possessed of a truly wondrous gift from the Great Tree of Life, A gift largely beyond my comprehension
and understanding. but one of immense prestige and glory
as an Emissary of my people I must remain neutral
but as a Sworn Protector to the Great Tree of Life
I will fight to my last Arrow, Spell and very last breath to defend one who has been chosen to bear such a gift.
if you would permit, may I take you back to the wagon to lay down and rest,
I know that powers such that you possess are both physically and spiritually draining.
I swear that no harm will come unto you so long as I draw breath."

Lady Mirabell smiles at Evermithe. "I thank you for kindness and understanding, sir wizard," she replies. "While I'm not sure what to think about all this, I will gladly accept your protection for as long as you offer it. And do not worry, I am fine."

turning to Kepli

"I will seek to locate your fallen friends young Hobbit <imperial term for Halflings in Kozakura>
but I cannot guarantee they will have survived this long if they were attacked by Goblins
if the Goblins here are anything like the ones my people fight, they will eat whatever they kill or capture"
he places his hand on the Halfling's shoulder
"it's not a fate I would wish upon anyone lad, but I will do what I can"

"I understand," Kepli says with his head down. "Even if they are dead, they should be properly laid to rest. I owe them that."

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:shaking the confusion from his head and regaining clear thoughts

"Lady Mirabell is absolutely correct Ornia" the War Wizard responds politely
"no one can or will decide her fate for her.
only Lady Mirabell can choose her path and ultimate Destiny.
I do not know what vision you and Lady Nerisha saw when you were touched.
but the vision I saw showed but two possible fates, neither of which were peaceful."

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:he returns his gaze politely to Lady Mirabell and offers his hand to help guide her if she so chooses

Up until now, Ornia has shown a great deal of respect towards Evermithe's words. But something seems to have turned in her. She is not used to being challenged. She had fumed silently as Evermithe spoke to the others but when she speaks, she does so with venom.

"No! Not this time war wizard," she replies vehemently stepping between him and Lady Mirabell. "I have listened to your consul up until now, but I will have my way in this matter. She is a child. Barely beyond being a babe in human terms. It is not her decision or yours or and anyone else's here but mine. I have been watching over her since she was born even though she didn't know I was there. The Swanmays will not be denied on this matter. If you try to take her away, you will face more than my wrath!"

Ornia looks at Lady Mirabell. "Why else would I have suggested to you to hire brigands to attack the caravan, hmm?"

Lady Mirabell hangs her head. Nerisha shakes her head anger and slaps the ground scattering a clump of dirt onto the fire.

"What!" Fore exclaims.

"Damn it! Why did you have to tell them that!" Nerisha yells. "Now they'll never help us!"

"We do not need their help," Ornia snaps. "We take the wagon and get out of Vrocia as planned."

"You've been w-watching me s-since I was born," Lady Mirabell says in disbelief.

"How else do you think I know so much about you and your human family? Think about it child. All these years I've stood by you and kept the braying noble boys away from you. Didn't you think for one moment that there might be price to pay eventually?"

She turns back to Evermithe. "I will not endanger Mira by allowing her to throw her life away on some foolish trek through a dangerous mountain pass into a land full of human barbarians and worse. She must not be lost, and I will fight for her if I must!"

The feytouched half-elf readies herself to unsheathe her broad sword if Evermithe refuses to back down.

"Ornia, don't do this!" Nerisha exclaims. She tries to stand but her injuries force her to the ground. "I cannot help you. Don't throw away all we've worked for!"

"I can't believe she paid to have the caravan attacked," Fore mumbles to no one in particular. He looks at Lady Mirabell with disgust. "Those men died because of you!"

"It wasn't supposed to happen like that, I swear!" The young girl insists.

Ornia stands ready,with blade hit in hand, and stares daggers into Evermithe's eyes. She seems to be a wild thing now, ready to strike at a moments notice. "I do not wish to kill you, war wizard. You have conducted yourself with honor and have fought well. But I will kill you if you give me no choice."

"Oh dear," Kepli gasps.

You killed Henry, didn't you," Fore barks at Ornia. "He may have been an ass, but you had no right!" The elven ranger puts a hand to his blade's hilt, ready to back up Evermithe's play.

"No, I did not," she says calmly. "But I would have, if he'd gotten in my way."

"She didn't. I swear she didn't," Lady Mirabell moves in between Fore and Ornia. "The goddess took him away!"[/color]

"Wh-what!" Fore steps back from her in shock. "What goddess?"

"Gacrena," she replies, looking at Axel. "She took Henry and the other half-ogre away and brought Axel to take his place."

Everyone but Axel stands in stunned silence. The half-ogre chews on barely-cooked bone from Fore's kill.

"I wasn't supposed to tell you all yet," she says in a whisper as a sharp wind blows suddenly through the clearing. "Axel knows, but the goddess made him promise to stay quiet. You're memories of him are false."

"I d-don't b-believe you," Fore stammers. "Axel fought with us against the giant beetles."

"That... was Big Tim," Lady Mirabell replies.

"Big Tim?" Fore asks then he remembers. The others who also fought the beetles now remember the Knight of the Scarlet Cross as well. The veil is lifted from their minds and the true memories flood in. Fore looks at Axel with a nervous grin. "Hi there, nice to meet you, uhm, strange, I still seem to know about you, parts of it anyway." Fore turns green. "Ooh, I'm definitely going to hurl this time."

Fore stumbles away into the forest and disgorges his breakfast.

"The goddess told me we must stay together or all is lost. War will engulf the entire region and many of us will either die or become corrupted."

Ornia stares in horror at the sky shaking her head.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 am

[quote]She turns back to Evermithe. "I will not endanger Mira by allowing her to throw her life away on some foolish trek through a dangerous mountain pass into a land full of human barbarians and worse. She must not be lost, and I will fight for her if I must!"

The feytouched half-elf readies herself to unsheathe her broad sword if Evermithe refuses to back down./[quote]

Evermithe turns the full potency of his War Wizard's authority onto Ornia such that anyone nearby can feel his presence even if they aren't looking at him
when he speaks in response to her threat on his life
his tone of voice is so calm and collected as to be unnerving

"Lady Ornia.
do you have any clue as to the sort of powers unto which you meddle by threatening the life of a Diplomatic Envoy from the Empire of Kozakura?
you trifle with forces you cannot begin to comprehend, and on a scale that is far beyond this planet or Star System.
while my people are a proud nation who prefer to conduct peace and trade with our neighbors, I can assure you M'Lady.
my people are fearsome and determined fighters when they are provoked into action.
if you draw your blade and strike me down in cold blood.
you, by your own hand will have declared War upon the Empire to which I am sworn to defend and act upon their behalf.

Lady Mirabell is free to choose her own path.
it is up to her and her alone to determine how she will choose to employ her gift

as for you Lady Ornia
it is your choice to decide if you will lay that sword down on the ground and come clean about everything that has transpired
since Lady Mirabell left her home.
or pull it, and bring a war down unto these people the likes of which this planet has never seen and in all likelihood, cannot win."
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Knightfall » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:36 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:
She turns back to Evermithe. "I will not endanger Mira by allowing her to throw her life away on some foolish trek through a dangerous mountain pass into a land full of human barbarians and worse. She must not be lost, and I will fight for her if I must!"

The feytouched half-elf readies herself to unsheathe her broad sword if Evermithe refuses to back down./
Evermithe turns the full potency of his War Wizard's authority onto Ornia such that anyone nearby can feel his presence even if they aren't looking at him
when he speaks in response to her threat on his life
his tone of voice is so calm and collected as to be unnerving

"Lady Ornia.
do you have any clue as to the sort of powers unto which you meddle by threatening the life of a Diplomatic Envoy from the Empire of Kozakura?
you trifle with forces you cannot begin to comprehend, and on a scale that is far beyond this planet or Star System.
while my people are a proud nation who prefer to conduct peace and trade with our neighbors, I can assure you M'Lady.
my people are fearsome and determined fighters when they are provoked into action.
if you draw your blade and strike me down in cold blood.
you, by your own hand will have declared War upon the Empire to which I am sworn to defend and act upon their behalf.

Lady Mirabell is free to choose her own path.
it is up to her and her alone to determine how she will choose to employ her gift

as for you Lady Ornia
it is your choice to decide if you will lay that sword down on the ground and come clean about everything that has transpired
since Lady Mirabell left her home.
or pull it, and bring a war down unto these people the likes of which this planet has never seen and in all likelihood, cannot win."

"You insist that this empire of yours is all powerful, but I only see you, war wizard, in the here and now. I have no proof of what you claim," Ornia replies. "How do we know you're not just a crazy outlander from across the mountains?"

"He is who he says he is," Lady Mirabell insists. "I have seen it."

Ornia looks at the young girl. "You know that your visions aren't always the whole truth, but let's say he is who he says he is, hmm? An elf man from some distant world or plane of existence who has come here to disrupt the natural order of Vrocia and possibly the entire world." She turns to Evermithe. "You say you won't take the child you are looking for away unless you have the permission of the child's people and the child, as well. You've convinced Fore of this and your other companions."

Ornia looks at Fore who looks down at his feet, embarrassed. The young elven ranger sighs before looking at Evermithe. "Sorry, Ev. She an I got to talking last night before going to sleep and I might have told her a bit too much."

"How do we know for sure that you won't snatch away this wild child, if the child's current life isn't up to your standards, hmm? And what if you even mentioning your 'this child is sacred to the Tree of Life' nonsense leads to conflict amongst the child's people, what will you do then, leave the child to be fought over like a pawn?"

"You have no proof that will happen," Fore complains. "My people aren't like humans."

"Bah! Mortals are mortals, Fore!"

"You will cease this bickering," Lady Mirabell orders. "It is pointless, Ornia. You might be a good warrior, but you cannot take all of us. If you fight this good man, I will stand with him."

"As will I," Fore agrees.

"And I," Siliarilas says.

Ornia looks at the numbers gathered against her. She watches for any response from Axel and Felgar, who have remained silent. The big half-ogre is still having his breakfast and part of Fore's.

"And you will face the goddess's wrath if you go against her wishes, Ornia." Lady Mirabell says calmly. "You might not fear Evermithe or any of us, but I know you fear the wrath of a nature goddess."

Ornia drives her blade into the ground. She looks at Evermithe with intense anger. "I do not fear you, war wizard, or your empire. And I doubt very much if this Kozakura, if it even exists at all, is all powerful across the stars. You exaggerate your people's importance or you are naive. And I highly doubt your empire would risk the wrath of an entire world for a single envoy's life when they could just send another in your place. The empires of mortals are cheap with peoples lives. That i have seen first hand."

Ornia looks back to Lady Mirabell. "But Mira speaks the truth. I do fear Gacrena's wrath. She may not be my goddess or one of the fey gods, but I will not challenge the wishes of a Divine One," she looks at Evermithe. "I suggest you not risk the same, war wizard. I don't know how it works where you come from but here, in Vrocia, and all the lands of the Anilasian Valleys, the gods are very close to the land and quite powerful. The Elven Mistress, Nimladrie, might object to you taking away one of her people even if you get mortal permission. As for your command to 'come clean', you are not my master and you do not order me to speak. No mortal man does."

Ornia leaves her blade where it stands in the earth and stalks away to the edge of the clearing. She sits down facing the trail leading towards Khadfield.

"You aren't going to get anything else out of her," Nerisha insists. The human woman struggles up to a sitting position. "I will tell you everything after you have discovered the fate of the young halfling's friends." She looks at Ornia. "She won't be much use to you in this state. Her blood runs hot with that of her sire. You need not worry about her taking Mira and running. She will not go against the goddess. It would be taboo for her to do so."
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:59 am

the young Elf stands firm as Ornia stalks off to the edge of the clearing and sits down before he turns back toward the others

he pulls Ornia's Sword from the ground and cleans off the dirt from it's tip before handing it to Nerisha

"few can reason with one who is so angered. and in her state of mind, continued talk is largely pointless.
I will wait till she has calmed her mind and is again reasonable before we continue this conversation."

he retrieves his Bedroll and lays it out near the fire, then after calling Screech back down
he sits down onto it
"I need your eyes my friend" he coos softly to Screech
"there are companions of this Hobbit on a trail not far from here that need to be found."

once this is done, Screech takes off again back up to a high branch

he then turns to those gathered around the fire
I will need you all to guard me while I search the Redrun
during the Trance, I am virtually helpless and will not be able to defend myself from attack
but I will find where your companions fell"
he states while looking to the hobbit before taking his sword off
he lies back using his pack as a pillow and rests his blade on his chest as if in repose
he softly intones a potent incantation that fades off into nothing as Screech takes flight
the Bird swoops through the clearing just over everyone's heads before circling up and around the clearing
before flying off

<DM's Note>
<if anyone Spellcraft's the incantation, it is part of the Find Familiar Spell that links the Familiar's mind to the Caster
it is this element that allows limited Telepathy between the pair as communication>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 12, 2017 3:07 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:the young Elf stands firm as Ornia stalks off to the edge of the clearing and sits down before he turns back toward the others

he pulls Ornia's Sword from the ground and cleans off the dirt from it's tip before handing it to Nerisha

"few can reason with one who is so angered. and in her state of mind, continued talk is largely pointless.
I will wait till she has calmed her mind and is again reasonable before we continue this conversation."

"And maybe a bit longer than that," Fore adds looking at the half-fey woman fume in silence.

"I am sorry she behaved so rashly," Nerisha replies to Evermithe. "She has been on this mission most of her life." She looks at Lady Mirabell with some concern. The young woman has turned her back to her and the others and looks towards the sky despondently.

he retrieves his Bedroll and lays it out near the fire, then after calling Screech back down
he sits down onto it
"I need your eyes my friend" he coos softly to Screech
"there are companions of this Hobbit on a trail not far from here that need to be found."

once this is done, Screech takes off again back up to a high branch

he then turns to those gathered around the fire
"I will need you all to guard me while I search the Redrun
during the Trance, I am virtually helpless and will not be able to defend myself from attack"

"I'm not going anywhere," Fore says with a sheepish grin. He sits down next to the fire and tends to it.

"I will sit with you," Nerisha offers.

"but I will find where your companions fell"
he states while looking to the hobbit before taking his sword off

"Thank you," Kepli replies quietly.

he lies back using his pack as a pillow and rests his blade on his chest as if in repose
he softly intones a potent incantation that fades off into nothing as Screech takes flight
the Bird swoops through the clearing just over everyone's heads before circling up and around the clearing
before flying off

Screech soon carries him away high over the tall trees of the 'taure' to the north where this Redrun lies. The trail is well hidden but not for Screech's eyes. He soon wings over it and spies many creatures wandering along its length. There is an owlbear rubbing itself against a great tree and he spies a large wolf pack lead by what looks like a worg. He sees no goblins with the wolves, however. As Screech wings farther southwest towards the edge of the forest, he finally spies the goblins. There is a small camp in a pinprick of a clearing on a low hill.

The bird sees that there are at least six goblins that aren't hidden by the deep foliage. He sees a crude wooden cage in the center of the camp, which sways under the weight of something in it. The foliage is too thick for Screech to tell if there are hobbits in it. But he does see something roasting over a fire. Part of a monstrous beetle, from the look of it. The goblins are gathered around the fire feating on the dead vermin's flesh. Just before Screech wings away, another figure steps into view -- a bugbear! He stomps through the camp like he owes everything in it.

He moves to the hanging cage and pushes it back and forth while laughing at the reaction of his prisoners. Screech wings lower and hears the shouts of voices in Common. The bugbear laughs even louder and pokes a pointy stick into the cage.

Screech wings farther south beyond the edge of the forest where he sees a large bridge in the distance. He then turns and returns towards the clearing and his master. Looking through the bird's eyes, Evermithe takes note of a large hill to the south of the main trail. It would be a good place to build a cairn for Urkold. It is not to far away but Screech spies some half-hidden humanoids near it. The humanoids looked reptilian but Screech barely saw them before they disappeared into the trees.

OOC: The wolves Screech spied earlier are moving away from the goblins, so Evermithe can surmise that the wolves aren't in thrall to the goblins even with a worg leading the pack. The owlbear is considerable closer than anything else, but it likely isn't a threat unless the group goes northeast.

Where the Redrun comes out is around 8 miles north of where the main trail exits the forest and becomes a cobbled road.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Fri May 12, 2017 10:23 pm

a few hours later
Screech swoops back into the clearing and perches on the Wagon's roof as Evermithe wakes up
he sits up, setting his sword next to him on his Bedroll as he smooths out a patch of dry sandy ground near the fire
he draws out the Redrun's course and the other notable features he saw during his flight

"well
you were right that the Redrun is difficult to traverse.
going in from the northeast is likely to be a bad idea.
I saw an Owlbear about a mile or so in and a bit further along is a large pack of Wolves led by a Worg.
I didn't see any Goblins with them so I think they are just a random Wolfpack.
there is a Goblin Camp near the South entry point of the Redrun about 8 miles from this trail's exit on a small Hillock
heavily covered by the Forest
I saw 6 goblins present and a crude Cage with at least one or two captives still alive hanging from a tree near the center of Camp.
there is no doubt there are more Goblins present but the real concern is this pack is led by a Bugbear

during my flight, I did find a suitable hill to build a Cairn for Urkold not far south of the road
only issue is that hill appears to be occupied by some Humanoid Reptilians"
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby BPIJonathan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 am

Siliarilas stands near. "What do you think we should do? The injury I took back with the beetle is still affecting my memory, while new stuff should be fine, my memories since that fight is fuzzy." My sword and magic are available if we need them. "
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

The Ironscales

Postby Knightfall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:a few hours later
Screech swoops back into the clearing and perches on the Wagon's roof as Evermithe wakes up
he sits up, setting his sword next to him on his Bedroll as he smooths out a patch of dry sandy ground near the fire
he draws out the Redrun's course and the other notable features he saw during his flight

"well
you were right that the Redrun is difficult to traverse.
going in from the northeast is likely to be a bad idea.
I saw an Owlbear about a mile or so in and a bit further along is a large pack of Wolves led by a Worg.
I didn't see any Goblins with them so I think they are just a random Wolfpack.

"Let's definitely avoid the owlbear," Fore agrees. "We don't have the numbers to take such a beast on. And I had heard rumors about a worg in the area, but it had seemed like folly. The rumors never mentioned it leading a pack of wolves, but I trust Screech's eyes."

there is a Goblin Camp near the South entry point of the Redrun about 8 miles from this trail's exit on a small Hillock
heavily covered by the Forest
I saw 6 goblins present and a crude Cage with at least one or two captives still alive hanging from a tree near the center of Camp.
there is no doubt there are more Goblins present but the real concern is this pack is led by a Bugbear

"A bugbear!" Kepli exclaims. "Oh my, I did not see that beastly creature. They are doomed!"

"Calm yourself," Nerisha says. "If there is a bugbear leading them, then the goblins won't eat your friends before it has tried to fatten them up even more. Plus, the goblin will want to terrorize them first. That means we have more time, if not a lot."

"I've heard of a bugbear being laired in these woods," Fore adds. "But he died four winters ago. He was caught out on Lake Hireta during a sudden snow squall and froze to death. As far as I know, he didn't have a mate. The locals called him Bollockborn."

"It could be a rival or newcomer to the region," Nerisha replies.

"Maybe," Fore says. "Or maybe Bollockborn didn't die. He was becoming quite imfamous and many adventurers tried to track him an take his head. The bounty had been considerable. Even I considered it."

"So, the brute's body was never found," Kepli asks.

"I never saw it, although an old friend of mine swears that a trusted friend of his did see the frozen bugbear out on the ice."

during my flight, I did find a suitable hill to build a Cairn for Urkold not far south of the road
only issue is that hill appears to be occupied by some Humanoid Reptilians"

"Those will be the lizardmen of the Ironscale Tribe. They keep to themselves and aren't usually hostile. Only when hunting is bad, do they raid farms and villages. It's been over a decade since the last recorded raid."

"Can we trust them not to attack?" Nerisha asks.

"No, but as long as we're careful and respectful of their sacred lands, they shouldn't give us any trouble." He looks a Evermithe. "However, if we build Urkold's cairn on this hill without their permission, it could go badly -- if it is sacred to them. I know where their main village is but it's very boggy terrain. I can get us there on the horses but not with the wagon."

"How far?" Nerisha asks.

"Maybe less than a day's travel, if it doesn't rain," Fore replies.

BPIJonathan wrote:Siliarilas stands near. "What do you think we should do? The injury I took back with the beetle is still affecting my memory, while new stuff should be fine, my memories since that fight is fuzzy. My sword and magic are available if we need them."

"I say we should head for the Ironscale village," Fore suggests. "If the risk of him raising as undead increases with each passing night, we can't put it off."

"We must do it soon," Nerisha states. She looks at Kepli, "I'm sorry, but you're friends are going to have to wait."

The hin nods glumly.

No one objects tot he course of action tht must be taken. The fallen warrior Urkold has to be put to rest. Everyone works together to break camp. Even Ornia eventually begins to help. Lady Mirabell refuses to hide in the wagon. She, instead, riding up front with Kepli and Felgar who are chosen to drive the wagon, working as a team. Kepli is good at handling the horses, but it is Felgar who has to work the reins since Kepli is still weak.

Nerisha is forced to ride in the wagon, as her injuries will take considerable time to heal. Ornia ties her horse to the back of the wagon and rides inside the wagon with her Sister.

Siliarilas rides on his mount next to the wagon. He keeps an eye on Mirabell while she keeps an eye on his health. Fore rides ahead of thw wagon, leading the way to the lizardman village while Evermithe scouts through the trees keeping a wary out for more trouble.

Axel Runo takes up the rear, lumbering along with only his war club, Pankake, for company. He is asked to stay well behind the horses, which are a bit skittish around him. He hopes there will be some bloodshed soon.

The weather holds. Morning turns to afternoon and then to early evening. The group pushes the horses as hard as they dare. Soon, Fore whistles and the wagon comes to a stop.

"We have to go through the forest on horseback from here," he says. "The wagon will have to stay behind."

"As will Lady Mirabell," Ornia insists. "We cannot risk her, even for Urkold's soul."

"That's not up to you or me," Nerisha says to her Sister. She looks at Mirabell. "But in this case, I implore you stay here in the wagon."

"No, I will go with Urkold's body," Mirabell says defiantly. "He died defending me. I will honor his life and death."

"No arguing," Fore snaps. "We are in Ironscale territory already. They are probably already aware of us. They watch travelers on the road but avoid those that don't travel off the path. With Evermithe out there scouting, they are probably close by and wary of our movements."

"She cannot-"

"Now you listen to me for once,"[color] Fore growls. [color=#804000]"You are already on thin ice with me, and you don't know the terrain or these lizardmen. I do! You will follow my lead, or you will stay here!" Fore shows some of the anger that he showed in The Harper and Axe when Oswin insulted him. The fire in his eyes surprises Ornia. "If you cause trouble, the lizardmen will become hostile," he adds. "You need to let me do the talking."

Ornia's reaction is surprising. She backs off and says nothing more.

"Okay then," Kepli states. "We all go. Better to stay together."

"I'm not staying behind," Nerisha says. "Better to be united in our purpose."

The group finds a place to hide the wagon, off the road. Fore and Evermithe camouflage the wagon while the others unhitch the horses from it. Soon, all are mounted except Axel. The way through the woods is easy, at first, but just as the sun begins to set, the ground becomes boggy.

Evermithe sees the lizardmen first. They appear on a low mound out of the growing mists. There are a dozen of them, and they all carry spears and wear only loincloths.

Fore nods to Evermithe and the two of them approach alone.

"I am Foredryn Morxina," Fore says in halting Common. He speaks with a slight hiss. "Son of Moon and Sky and servant of nature. We come to speak with your elders. We have a fallen comrade who must be laid to rest on high holy ground to protect his spirit from undeath."

One of the lizardmen steps forward and greets Fore with spear raised. "The Ironssscalesss have heard your requessst, Ssson of Moon and Sssky. Bring your othersss forward so we can see all bornbloodsss.

"They want to make sure none of us are sacred foes," Fore whispers to Evermithe, as he waves all the others forward. "Hopefully, they won't object to Axel."

The group moves up onto the mound and the head lizardman studies each one of them in detail. He is a large male wearing a hydra headdress. He notes the wounds that the group has suffered and sniffs at Axel. "Hisss, ogre-kin but no 'Krorock' taint." He takes note of both Ornia and Lady Mirabell with great interest.

"Missstresss," he bows to Ornia. "We are honored."

Ornia says something to the lizardman in the lizardkin tongue. He replies in kind and all his kin go to one knee as she takes off her helmet and reveals her halff-ey heritage.

"Please stand," she says. "There is no need for that."

"Asss you wisssh, missstresss."

"Call me Ornia." Ornia turns to Nerisha. "This is my Sister, Nerisha. And the girl is Mirabell."

"Asss you wisssh," the lizardman replies. "The othersss?"

"They are with us, for now." Ornia says plainly. "They are protectors of the child, although they have their own reasons."

"You do not speak for them or for me," Mirabell snaps.

"Mirabell, now is not a good time to stir up trouble," Fore says. "We'll work it out later."

The young girl fumes silently.

"Come, we will take you to the eldersss to ssspeak your requessst."

The lizardmen lead the group deeper into the boggy woodlands. Eventally the hill that Evermithe saw comes into view in the distance. The lizardmen lead the group to the base of it where a large cave opens up. "Thisss way."

Once inside, the group sees that the cave is massive and descends deep into the earth. Water from the bog flows over a small waterfall, but most of it has been damned into a tiny pool by scaly beavers (that the lizardmen obviously keep as pets).

The head lizardman leads the group to the higest and driest part of the cave. A large, circular wood and stone hut stands at the center of wide pebble-strewn natural floor. A massive stalagmite juts out of the the top of the hut. Sitting in front of the hut are three smallish lizardmen. The appear to be very old for their kind.

"The eldersss of the Ironssscalesss," he says. Ssspeak your requesst to them and hear their anssswersss."
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 pm

for now
Evermithe remains quiet letting Fore take the lead in speaking to the Lizard folk Elders
though he will try to calm Lady Mirabell's nerves by remaining close to her <to Lady Ornia's distrust>
<he's nervous too considering he's deep inside what could potentially become hostile territory should a bad move be made.
he's cautiously scanning the area looking for defenses and chokepoints J.I.C. and processing plans on how to withdraw with minimal
casualties on both sides
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby BPIJonathan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Siliarilas will remain close to Evermithe, He has no idea what is going on, but unless someone is obviously in danger, he will remain quiet and watchful.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

The Ironscales (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:for now
Evermithe remains quiet letting Fore take the lead in speaking to the Lizard folk Elders

Fore makes sure everyone stays behind him, as her approaches the Elders of the Ironscales. He nods to Evermithe in understanding that he should speak for the group. Ornia stays a half-a-dozen feet behind the elven ranger, but defers to his knowledge of region. She is calm under the gaze of so many onlookers. The lizardmen are a bit in awe of her -- mixed with some obvious fear too.

Fore stands as tall as his four and half foot thin frame allows him. He holds his hands high above his head as he speaks. "Great Elders of the Ironscales, we come to you with an urgent request. In the forest, we were set upon by several great bugs including what we call a Red Borer. You call such a great bug an Anaras."

There is a hissing and murmuring amongst the lizardmen.

"The battle was hard fought and we were victorious, but one of ours was mortality wounded by the great bug. He died with honor and requires a place of honor for his burial."

"Why do you not bury his boness under the earth then," one of the elders speaks.

"That is not the way of his people, elder," Fore replies. "He is of the hills and mountains and must be buried high towards the solar disc, as he is of the hills and mountains. If he is buried low, his soul will not rest and his bones will rise in undeath."

There is more hissing from the onlookers but when centrally seated lizardkin elder rattles a staff of bones, the gathered lizardmen stop their hissing.

"So, you wish to bury him above our home on Zizotiz's Head?" She asks.

"Yes, wise one," Fore replies.

"Iss there no where elsse?" The third elder, another male, asks.

"With each night that passes, great one," Fore says. "The risk of his Rising increases with the pale of the moons. There is no where close enough to prevent this from happening."

"What was his name?" The female elder asks.

"Urkold."

"And his origins?" She asks.

Fore looks to Ornia and nods. She steps forward and imitates Fore's earlier gesture. "He is one of the hill people known as the Dheillids, and he was born in a village known as Khilden, which sits in a high valley far to the northwest of here."

The female stands and moves slowly towards Ornia. She looks at the woman carefully. "I can sense your origins, fey one. Why do you travel with these others?"

"The girl's life is important to the swanmays, elder." Ornia motions to Lady Mirabell. "Her destiny is vitally important and this man died while protecting her. The others also protect her." She motions to Nerisha. "My Sister, Nerisha. She worships the Great Goddess and speaks to the land."

The female walks over to Nerisha and sizes her up. "You are not fey, caloyer."

"No, I am human, but I am Sister to her nonetheless."

"Ah, what you humans call a sodality or a sect." The female walks over to Lady Mirabell and looks deep into her eyes. "Yes, you are indeed gifted, little one. The gods have a plan for you."

"W-will you help us?" Mirabell asks. "Urkold was a good man. He soul deserves to be at rest."

though {Evermithe} will try to calm Lady Mirabell's nerves by remaining close to her <to Lady Ornia's distrust>
<he's nervous too considering he's deep inside what could potentially become hostile territory should a bad move be made.

BPIJonathan wrote:Siliarilas will remain close to Evermithe, He has no idea what is going on, but unless someone is obviously in danger, he will remain quiet and watchful.

The female lizardkin watches how Evermithe tries to soothe the young girl's nerves. The elder circles him and Mirabell while using the staff as a walking stick. She also glances at Siliarilas and Felgar and gives Kepli a toothy grin. She walks over to Axel last and circles him twice.

"You are not of Clan Krorock. That is good," she hisses at him. "If you were, your life and the life of these others would be forfeit." She turns back towards Mirabell and speaks directly to her. "We will allow you to bury this Urkold of the Dheillids on Zizotiz's sacred scaled brow."

"Thank y-you," Mirabell replies.

"There is a price that must be paid, however," the lizardkin female adds. "For Zizotiz to accept your fallen warrior, a service must be done for him."

"What do you require of us, elder?" Fore asks.

"There is a poisonous beast nearby that plagues the Ironscales. It has killed many of our young ones and several of our warriors. It lives near the edge of our territory, and where it lairs, the snow of winter never melts. Will you kill this beast for us?"

<he's cautiously scanning the area looking for defenses and chokepoints J.I.C. and processing plans on how to withdraw with minimal
casualties on both sides>

OOC: There are many darkened corners that could be passages to deeper areas under the hill. Scattered throughout the village are walls of wooden stakes strategically placed to prevent intruders from easily moving from one area to the next. Most of the structures are built against or near the cave's walls. There is little light in the cave. There are free-standing torches close to where the elders are while most of the heat in the cave comes from stone braziers.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Almagra] AD&D2E PbP Game: Kingdom of Vrocia [IC]

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:49 pm

for now Evermithe remains quiet save for leaning in to fore and whispering to him about the Halflings still trapped in the Goblin Camp

"I cannot guarantee Kepli's companions will live long if we take this beast right after ensuring Urkold's spirit is at peace
but we might be able to pull both depending on the time constraint these folk require to be rid of this beast"

other than this
he remains by Mirabell's side to keep her calm, her hand in his as reassurance
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

The Ironscales (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:for now Evermithe remains quiet save for leaning in to fore and whispering to him about the Halflings still trapped in the Goblin Camp

"I cannot guarantee Kepli's companions will live long if we take this beast right after ensuring Urkold's spirit is at peace
but we might be able to pull both depending on the time constraint these folk require to be rid of this beast"

"I'll try to convince them to let us delay until after we've rescued Kepli's friends," Fore whispers back.

"Is there something else, young elf?" The female elders asks.

"Elder, we are willing to do as you ask," Fore replies. "However, we are in the middle of a quest that cannot be delayed. This young hobbit's friends were taken by a pack of goblins that live nearby. My friend here," Fore motions to Evermithe. "He was able to scry on their location and determine that the captured hobbits are still alive."

"We know of thesse goblinss," one of male elders says. "They are plague on the region. They call themsselvess the Sshel'daac or Rhuul."

"Yes, we have fought against their kind in the past," the female says. "They are difficult to wipe out completely." She looks at the worried look on Kepli's face. "If your friends are still alive hinman, they won't be for long."

Kepli bows his head glumly.

"That is why we must rescue them first before we deal with your beast," Fore says. "We must honor Urkold's spirit and then rescue the hobbits. After that, we will return and deal with this monster. You have my promise of honor."

"At leasst one of your will have to remain here," the second male elder intones. "To make ssure your honor iss the honor of all of you."

The gathered lizard-kin hiss in agreement.

other than this
he remains by Mirabell's side to keep her calm, her hand in his as reassurance

"Yes," the female nods. "We will allow you to complete your quest, but, at least, the girl must remain here with us." She looks at Kepli. "You should stay here with us as well, hinman. You do not have the look of a warrior like these others."

Kepli looks at Felgar for some sign as how to respond. It is Ornia who is the first to speak. "I cannot be separated from the girl," she insists. "If you insist on her staying here, then I must stay with her."

"If you so wish," the female elder replies.

"No," Nerisha says to Ornia. "They will need your strength against the goblins. I will stay behind and watch over Mirabell. My wound will just slow you all down, and I need to rest more." She looks at Kepli. "I agree with the Elders, you should stay here, Kepli. They are going into a very dangerous situation, and it would best if they didn't have to worry about you too."

"I agree," Fore adds while giving the halfling a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "It's a good idea. We'd hate for something to happen to you while rescuing your friends."

"I- I have to admit, I've been f-feeling a bit unsure about facing those g-goblins."

"What if they need healing?" Lady Mirabell pleads with Nerisha. "I should go with them."

"That is not wise, child," the female elder says. "And even with your abilities, you would be more of a worry to them there than here." She looks at Ornia. "I give you my word, fey one, she will be safe here. Perhaps I could even help her unlock some of her potential, with your permission, of course."

Ornia seems hesitant at first, but when both Mirabell and Nerisha give her defiant looks, she grudgingly nods. "I will take you at your word, Elder," she says. "But if you wish to help her with her magical growth, I must insist that my Sister be present."

"A great accord, fey one. It will be as you wish," the elder replies while sweeping her hand up for all to see. "The visitors are now guests of our great creator, Zizotiz. Their fallen warrior will be placed high on His head. We will keep three of their number here while they battle the Shel'daac or Rhuul. After they have saved their lost hinmen, they will return and battle the great fanged, snowy beast."

The lizardfolk stand and hiss and shout in thanks to their god, Zizotiz. They gather around the group and greet them with bows and even a few handshakes. The tension diffuses. The two male elders retreat into their grand hut while the female looks to Fore. "Come, come, let us prepare your fallen friend for his high honors."

OOC: My next post will be the funeral. If you want to ask anything before I post it, now is the time.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

The Funeral and the Rescue Mission

Postby Knightfall » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:21 am

Zizotiz's Head
You gather around a cairn of rocks on the high hill named for the lizardkins' god. The body of urkold lies under the rocks hidden from view. The female elder, who calls herself Shrukuz, leads a short ceremony to honor bother her god and the fallen warrior. The cairn is surrounded by torches on high poles and a great firepit is set to be lit next to Urkold's place of rest. The lizardkin perform a dance and praise Zizotiz. They do not ask any of the group to join in but do not object to those who do so.

Once Shrukuz finishes her ceremony, Ornia and Nerisha step forward to perfom the required rites to protect Urkold's spirit. Ornia speaks his name and his Life Quest for all those to hear and that the gods should take the words with them to heaven and then pass on the Life Quest to another of the Dheillids in a dream so that the quest lives on as his spirit does in the sky. Nerisha lights the fire and sings an old song that is sacred to Urkold's people. Once she is finished, a 'spirit' seems to move from the cairn to the fire. It blazes high and then you hear a warrior's shout. A great waft of smoke forms above the flames in Urkold's image. It smiles and then ascends into the sky.

The lizardkin are awed by this sight and are soon all on their hands and knees. They hiss together lowly while Shrukuz dances around the fire to ward of any evil spirits that might try to embrace the sacred flames. The funeral ends when the fire returns to normal and burns low.

"It is done," Ornia states. "Urkold is with his gods, now."

All the non-lizard people bow their heads in dignity. The lizardkin remain on the ground. All except for one. A young warrior stands and walks up to the group. He speaks the Common tongue well.

"If you will have me," he says. "I will go with you to face the goblins. You may call me Braszrokuxl. I go to honor your fallen friend and to fight the goblins that killed my matron."

"It will be very dangerous," Fore replies. He looks at Shrukuz. "As long as your Elder does not object, we will be glad to have you along."

"If he wishes to fight, it is as Zizotiz wishes." Shrukuz says. "Go and reclaim your kin's blood and bones, Braszrokuxl."

The lizardman bows to his Elder.

"Now go and rescue the hinman's friends and deal death to the Shel'daac or Rhuul. We will keep the ones you call Kepli and Mirabell safe, and the caloyer known as Nerisha will watch over them with us."

Ornia hugs Nerisha and Mirabell before the group leaves the hill. The others stay next to Shrukuz.

On the Road...
It has been a few hours since Urkold's Funeral. The road winds out of the forest up ahead and soon you will be able to turn along the trail that head north towards the goblin camp. Your group now consists of Evermithe Woodshadow, wood elven war wizard; Siliarilas, elven thief and mage; Axel Runo, half-ogre fighter; Felgar Darkshine, gnome Sternshield; Foredryn Morxina, wood elf ranger; Ornia Redfall, fey half-elf fighter; and the lizardman known as Braszrokuxl. Axel walks alongside the wagon while Braszrokuxl rides on the wagon next to Siliarilas.

The afternoon quickly slips away into night, as the group traverses the trail. It will take at least one more day to reach the goblin camp, if the group pushes the horses. They should be able to take it, as they've had a lot of rest.

Fore rides ahead on his mount to scout for danger and see if there are any signs of the goblins along the trail. He reports back that nothing seems out of the ordinary, but he can't be sure. "Goblins are sneaky little vermin."

OOC: What do you want your PCs to do?
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:52 am

Evermithe starts nearby softly speaking with the others and laying out a plan of attack
"we can move the wagon into position just beyond the treeline and beyond bowshot range, then move in at dawn.
we can silently encircle their camp so that our attack will come from all points at once dividing their force and preventing them from concentrating.
Axel, I'll need your great strength to keep this Bugbear leader busy once we draw him out
for everybody else, if you have ranged weapons. use them first to down as many of our foes as possible before moving in and engaging in direct combat
to keep them off Axel
if all goes well, we can hit hard and so fast they won't be able to put up an effective counterattack
Felgar, it will be during this that you will need to move in as fast as your legs will carry you, get to the cage in the center of Camp and free your kinfolk.
once we see that you have them, we will converge and cover your withdrawal back to the Wagon"

once he's finished describing the plan, he slinks off into the night
using the cover of Darkness
Evermithe scouts along the treeline from above moving with grace and stealth among the branches
knowing that Goblins prefer to operate at night
his own plan, ambush the ambushers or pick off scouts so they can't report in
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Night at the Edge of the Woods

Postby Knightfall » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 am

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:Evermithe starts nearby softly speaking with the others and laying out a plan of attack
"we can move the wagon into position just beyond the treeline and beyond bowshot range, then move in at dawn.
we can silently encircle their camp so that our attack will come from all points at once dividing their force and preventing them from concentrating.

"A sensible plan, tall ear," Braszrokuxl says with a nod. "You are wise to wait until the light is in there eyes. Goblins are easily blinded by the sun's glory."

"Yes, well, we need to keep on our toes," Fore adds. "Gobbers tend to have many strange variations amongst their kind. I've seen goblins with two heads and multiple limbs."

"I have not heard of such... oddities, is that the right Common word, in fireside tales about the Shel'daac or Rhuul," Braszrokuxl replies.

Axel, I'll need your great strength to keep this Bugbear leader busy once we draw him out
for everybody else, if you have ranged weapons. use them first to down as many of our foes as possible before moving in and engaging in direct combat
to keep them off Axel
if all goes well, we can hit hard and so fast they won't be able to put up an effective counterattack

Axel grunts and nods in agreement without a word. His club whistles silently in his ear for blood.

"He's getting that looking in his eyes again," Fore whispers to Siliarilas.

Felgar, it will be during this that you will need to move in as fast as your legs will carry you, get to the cage in the center of Camp and free your kinfolk.
once we see that you have them, we will converge and cover your withdrawal back to the Wagon"

"Gaerdal will guide me to them," the gnome Sternshield acknowledges.

once he's finished describing the plan, he slinks off into the night
using the cover of Darkness
Evermithe scouts along the treeline from above moving with grace and stealth among the branches
knowing that Goblins prefer to operate at night
his own plan, ambush the ambushers or pick off scouts so they can't report in

"And there he goes again," Fore states plainly. "He'll be out there all night, watching our backs."

"He is quite brave to face the forest at night on his own," Braszrokuxl comments.

"It's his element. Mine too, but I like to rest the human way sometimes, especially when exhausted. My mother once told me I had a great grandparent who was half human." Fore yawns. "Sleep works for me just as well as meditation."

He looks at Ornia who keeps staring back the way they came. "She'll be all right. You shouldn't worry so much. Keep your mind on tomorrow."

The half-fey woman says nothing, as she stalks the edge of a suitable clearing to make sure there isn't anything dangerous in the immediate area. She heard Evermithe's plan and helps place the wagon along the edge of the treeline, although there is still at least eight hours travel to the goblin's camp.

"She worries about her youngling," Braszrokuxl says quitely to Fore. The wood elf nods silently. He helps set up a low, covered fire with Siliarilas. He doesn't let the flames get to high and has Axel place several big stones around the firepit to make a makeshift oven/stove.

"A nice bit of work, big guy," he says to Axel. The half-ogre grunts as he sharpens the sharp black rock-shards embedded in the club. Axel sits away from the firepit, so that he doesn't get overheated.

Fore tries in vain to pick up Evermithe's movements in the forest. He shakes his head in wonderment. He's usually the stealthiest person in any group, but Evermithe has him beat.

Out in the treeline, Evermithe finds signs of the goblins. They have cut several crude paths in the woods that are highly choatic. He nearly stumbles into a covered pit that was well hidden in the dark. These goblins are well prepared for an ambush, it seems. He doesn't see any of them out in the forest during the night, but there is something, else. The smell is unfamiliar but it smells like death hangs over it. A forest predator of some kind. Whatever it was, he saw no signs of it during his shared sight with Screech who now sights in a nearby tree. Evermithe can sense the bird is nervous.

He finds a hidden hunting blind high in one tree. A crude platform that smells like goblin -- a bit too much. The blind would have been invisible if not for the smell of goblin urine. The war wizard can tell that the goblin who pissed here did so many hours ago. He finds a few bones scattered on the blind -- a bird, most likely. It was eaten raw.

Screech shifts in his tree and flaps his wings once. The bird senses the elf's discovery.

After searching for several more hours, Evermithe finds no other signs of goblins. He had followed the trail of the goblin who'd been on the blind for as long as he dared. If he had kept going, he'd have ended up in the goblin camp, for sure. The crude trails could be useful as long as there weren't any more hidden traps than the few crude pits he'd discovered. He makes his way back to the wagon and find that almost everyone is asleep, even Fore.

Only Ornia and Siliarilas remain awake and on guard. The half-fey looks up when he arrives. He'd made almost no sound, but she'd sensed him.

"What did you discover?" She asks quietly.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 pm

on his return to camp he sees the pair on watch and explains his findings

"the forest is laced with trails and blinds providing our foe ample opportunity for oversight or ambush of the unwary.
I found a hidden pit trap on one of those trails so I am certain there will be more.
if these foul creatures operate like the ones back among my people,
those pits likely have stakes in the bottom crudely poisoned with whatever local toxins they have on hand or just soaked in excrement
to leave a dangerous festering wound that will weaken the victim.
there were no Goblins out that I could find, but I sensed something else out there
something I am not familiar with.
it carries the scent of death with it which might have run the goblins back to their camp
whatever it is, scares goblins a great deal making them easy to track by their urine leading me right back nearly to the edge of their camp
disgusting creatures they are, foul and crude.
they aren't hard to knock down but they make up for their lack of build by sheer numbers
rest well everyone, we will be very busy come dawn" <anticipating that others may be listening in while feigning sleep>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Previous

Return to The Crystal Globe