The Karameikos PbP Act 3 New roads (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: The Karameikos PbP Act 3 New roads (IC thread)

Postby Dartamian » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Tiberius thanks Fabio and Kleon for healing Alke.

How did they know we were coming after them? Were they watching for us or do they have a spy among us?
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:12 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XIII - Specularum, 2nd Month (Flaurmont, 3rd and 13th, 990 AC)

"I really do not know how they knew - Fortunato tells you in confidence - I am sure they must have some way to know, either a spy or something magical, but I haven't been able to identify what it is yet. However this time we did set a trap for them and they fell into it, so obviously they do not know everything.."
After this you all return home and have some days of rest.

A ten days later, there will be the trial against the captured prisoners. You are called to testify against them. (You must go to the District Court House which is M24 here: http://pandius.com/Merchant_District.pdf). Mikel, Fortunato, Trark and the others are likewise called.
Execept for that, you continue with your training and the visits to the Church of Saint Lucor.
The meetings are on Flaurmont 3rd and 10th and obviously the meeting of the 3rd is just after your success against the slavers and you are too tired to go, but on the 10th the story has already spread and you and Fabio are quite the heroes for the people attending.
The anticipation for the trial is quite high in the city and people speak about it in the streets.
In the evening of Flaurmont 12th you hear a noise outside your door, as if someone had knock. You open with all due caution and you find a paper pinned on the door by a knife.
The paper just says "If you testify against us, you and anyone you care for will pay".
Shortly after Trark come to call you. A similar note was pinned on the temple of Koryis, where the orc lives, and on the house where the Thorns live.
But more disturbing is the message sent to Fortunato. The note was left pinned on Marius' chest. (Marius was the man in service of Fortunato who was lost on the Black Octopus). When you arrive in front of Fortunato's house, you see what Trarks means. Marius is standing in front of the house, nervously watched by Mikel, Fortunato and the Thorns.
Marius is standing but is not alive. He is a zombie, dripping seawater and partially eaten by fish.
"Someone animated him and send him walking through the seabed - Kleon says - probably the captain of the Black Octopus, who is certainly a necromancer".
"But obviously someone pinned the note on him this very evening" Alexius adds.
"They will not intimidate us - Fortunato says angrily - we will try to call back Marius from death and tomorrow we will testify and see them hanged!"
Carla, Adriana, Fabio and Gurum arrive shortly after. Notes were left also on the Church of Saint Lucor and Gurum's inn, but not on Carla and Adriana's house, as probably the Iron Ring doesn't know where they live. Gurum went to ask them just to check.
While you are still near Fortunato's door, you see a great blaze coming from the docks.
You understand something has happened and a few minutes later some Vorloi men come running.
"Our warehouses are burning!", they cry.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Tiberius refuses to be intimidated by the threats from the slavers, but he does warn Anyone he may care about, including Dmitri and Sasha. He also takes more care in his own safety, staying more aware of those around him. He rigs the entrance into the undercity in his house so that it will be difficult for someone to enter the house, and it will definitely make enough noise for him to hear. Also, he makes it so he can escape to the undercity if he must. He keeps his sword within reach at all times.

Tiberius rushes off to the warehouses to aid in fighting the fire.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:38 am

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XIV - Specularum, 2nd Month (Flaurmont, 13th-20th, 990 AC)

The fire is eventually extinguished but the damage to Vorloi properties is extensive. Clearly this is part of the intimidation before the trial.
The day after however Fortunato and Philip testify against the members of the Iron Ring, as Mikel, Trark, the members of the Thorns, Carla and Adriana and you.
The cleric and the 8 wererats are charged with Deliberate attempted murder, Greater armed assault and Partecipation in slavery and sentenced to death by hanging. The sentence will be carry out in a week.
The three men captured before by Fortunato and Mikel are charged with Greater armed assault, Theft and Partecipation in slavery, and sentenced to three years of forced service as galley rowers.
Fortunato and Mikel are satisfied by the sentence.

During the week, armed Vorloi men guard all the warehouses, ships and houses day and night. You and the others partecipate in some of these shifts.

Marius' body is taken to the Church of Saint Lucor and examined by the clerics there and by Kleon and Fabio, but attempts to raise him from the dead fail. This is not necessarily due to some actions by the Iron Ring, Fabio explains. It may be that his soul has already gone beyond and does not wish to return.

On Flaurmont 16th, Marius body is burned and he is entombed in a small urn after a brief funeral at the Vorloi chapel in the Hill graveyard (H7 here: http://pandius.com/The_Hill.pdf). Thyatians normally burn their dead, while Traladaran bury them. In the past Thyatians kept the ashes of the deceased in their homes, but nowadays often tomb or chapels are built for this, particularly by noble families. In this sad occasion you also get to know Philip Vorloi's immediate family. His wife Anna Braun Vorloi, a beautiful woman about 45 years old, his son Grygori, a well dressed young man less than 20 years old who looks fop and bored, and his daughter Marianna, a girl of about your age.
She had red brown hair and green eyes, and smiles warmly at you. When you see her, you feel something you never felt before for a girl and your hear misses a few beats. You stare at her, speechless.
"So you are the famous young hero of whom all the city speaks - Marianna says - pleased to meet you!". She gives you her hand and when you fail to kiss it, she just kiss you on the cheek and giggles. Fortunato smiles seeing you dumbstruck and comes to your rescue, introducing to you also his younger sister Michaela Vorloi Sulanov with her husband Arkan Sulanov and their daughter Zandra, a girl about 8 years old who clearly will become as beautiful as Marianna.

On Flaurmont 17th, there is another great meeting at the Church of Saint Lucor. The faithful have organized a constant surveillance of the area to prevent further attacks. All seem determined to defy the Iron Ring, no matter the cost.

Flaurmont 20th is the planned day for the esecutions, to be held at dawn. A great crowd has gathered in front of the Ducal Palace and a huge number of guards, soldiers and Vorloi men are present to assure that all will go smoothly. The Torenescu too have brought many of their guards to attend.
You are with a group that includes Philip, Fortunato and Cristoph Torenescu. Simion Torenescu, Grygori Vorloi, Aleksander Torenescu and Stephanos Torenescu are present too a bit to the distance. Marianna and Lucia are near them. You are with the Thorns, Fabio, Gurum, Carla, Adriana and Trark, and several Vorloi and Torenescu men, to form a protective circle around them. Mikel with some guards and several soldiers form another circle around you.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:29 pm

What has been done to Marius' body greatly disturbs Tiberius (being turned into a zombie that is). To Fabio he ask Is there any way to prevent a body from becoming a zombie after its death?

Tiberius is awed by Marianna, and profusely thanks Fotunato for extracted him from an awkward situation. Fortunato, will we be seeing Marianna again? he asks in his most unobtrusive manner.

Tiberius is anxious due to the massive amount of security around him at the execution, he feels it makes him stand out even more. Nonetheless, he accepts his place and watches the execution.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XIV - Specularum, 2nd Month (Flaurmont, 13th-20th, 990 AC)

"Sure there is - Fabio replies - if a cleric blesses a dead body with holy water, no necromancer will be able to turn it into an undead. But that was not possible in Marius' case, as he was captured alive by your enemies".

Fortunato smiles at your question. "I am sure you will have plenty of occasions to speak with Marianna again" he just says.

Indeed at the execution Marianna and Lucia smile and wave at you. Your attention however is soon drawn by the cleric on the gallows, who screams "Behold the revenge of the Iron Ring!".
You see Larius crying something and running toward the external circle of your group, Gurum right beside him.
They are looking at a young girl selling sweets among the crowd nearest to your position. The girl is looking, amazed, at a big ruby, as if someone just dropped it into her hand.
Then the ruby explodes in fire.
You see only fire for an instant, then you are hit fully in the face by something and you fall down, stunned and hurt.
You lose track of time. It seems as you have slept for a while in a place without sounds, then you wake us and hear screams. People screaming on pain and terror. You see people running everywhere, but they are far from you. Near to you there is a dog whimpering in pain. Must be Alke. On your chest there is something heavy. It's a severed arm.
Near to you Mikel is down, his face horribly burned, recognizable only for his armor and clothes.
Trark is near, down on his knees, his back burned and smoking, coughing and trying to rise.
You also see Adriana looking at you, but you soon realize her eyes are empty and most of her body is black as charcoal. Someone kneels beside you. It's Marianna, Lucia behind her. You see an ugly burn on part of Marianna's arm and you ask yourself how she can suffer the pain. Maybe it's the shock. Lucia seem unharmed.
Both look worried at you.
"Tiberius, are you alive?" Marianna asks with alarm in her voice and tears in her eyes.
Then you feel the terrible pain all over your body, so intense you think you must soon pass out.
The pain grips you, yet not even it can send away the terrible screams and the horrible smell of burnt flesh.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:07 am

I'm alive, but worse for wear. Your arm looks bad, are you okay? Tiberius replies to Marianna in the strongest voice he can muster. Marianna, Lucia, please help me up so we can check on the others and see what aid we can give them. Best to get the girls distracted by action instead of dwelling on the shock of the moment.

Tiberius does his best to collect himself. Checking himself to make sure he is one piece if possible (is that severed arm laying across his chest his? Does he have all his body parts still attached?).

If he can get up he checks on Alke, Mikel, and Trark to start with, and any others he sees needs help (whether he knows them or not). He also keeps an eye out for the others that were there with him, especially Fabio.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 am

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XV - Specularum, 2nd Month (Flaurmont, 20th, 990 AC)

You try to rise and look around, Marianna and Lucia rush to help you. Alke is near, wounded but alive. Fabio is coming to you, he doesn't appear seriously harmed. Trark is rising. Carla is now crying over Adriana's body.
Mikel doesn't move. You recognize the arm as Larius' arm. He is in pieces in front of you. Kleon and Alexius are looking at him in dismay. When you are up, you realize the pain is too much to bear and before you are able to sit down again, you pass out.

When you wake up, you are in a bed and it seem you have bandages everywhere. Philip and Marianna Vorloi are looking at you. You are not in your bedroom but somewhere else, probably Philip's house.
"It was a delayed fireball - Philip says - 35 people are dead, a figure that includes 9 women and 3 children, 5 Duke's guards, 3 Vorloi men, Larius and Adriana. 27 seriously wounded, some of them could die even if clerics are treating them. Mikel, Gurum, you and Marcus and Marcellus of the Thorns are among those gravely wounded. Mikel and Gurum are the ones in the worst conditions. We do not know if they will make it. Alke was wounded too, but we will heal him. Alexius, Kleon, Trark, Fabio, Carla, Fortunato and Marianna only suffered light wounds. Me, Lucia, the Torenescu and the Towers were just outside the range of the explosion so we were not affected. The Duke's soldiers, the Towers and our men rushed to the gallows almost immediately, thinking the purpose of it was to let the prisoners escape, but there was no rescue party. The cleric disappeared into thin air before they could grab him. The other three were cut down on the spot by Aleksander Torenescu and the Towers. All our houses are now under heavy guard and all the city is under curfew. We need some time to heal. Then we will decide our next move. We are against a ruthless and unscrupolous enemy who will stop at nothing to get to us. I think that is the reason why we must fight them, whatever the cost. I hope you are still of the same idea, Tiberius. You are much too young for all this, but you have proven your value several time. If we keep fighting, we will win. I am sure of this, even if I am very much scared for my family".
Marianna takes his father's hand and grasps it as to confort him. Then she does the same with your hand.
"You will heal, Tiberius - she says - Fabio already came several times and said most of the scars will disappear in time."
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XVI - Specularum, 2nd Month (Flaurmont, 990 AC)

Fabio comes visiting the day later, with a full healed Alke. He says he is optimistic about Mikel, who is recovering, but Gurum is still unconscious. Kleon and the clerics of Saint Lucor were able to bring back Adriana from death, but not Larius. Later Fortunato comes to visit too, saying he has decided to move you into his palace, as your former hourse could be dangerous. The same goes for Carla and Adriana, if they want. Trark has decided to stay at the temple of Koryis.
Fortunato also said two words were found carved on your door, his door and the door of the Church of Saint Lucor.
The words are "Told you", clearly it's a message from the Iron Ring.
The funeral of Larius is planned for Flaurmont 24th.
A commemorative encounter will be also held at Saint Lucor the same day for the victims of the massacre.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Philip, I will not let this deter me, this makes me more determined to put an end to this senselessness.

Thanks you Marianna. Sometimes it has felt like I will not make it but I find reasons to fight.

Fortunato, thanks for taking me in at your home, there is no way I can ever repay you.

Tiberius attends the funeral of Larius and the commemoration at Saint Lucor if he is able. He also discretely visits Mitri when he gets a chance to see how he has been doing and to see if he has any information on the slavers, events in the city, or even the just general feel of the people he is around to the latest happenings.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XVII - Specularum, 2nd Month (Flaurmont, 990 AC)

You have only minor scars from the explosion, but Gurum has several and Mikel too, even if most of them on his body and not the face. You see them both standing, even if with the aid of others, at Larius' funeral.
"Larius died trying to save us - Mikel says - we have to keep fighting to honour his sacrifice. It may seem obvious to say this, but it's the truth"
The commemoration at Saint Lucor is likewise sad but there too the people attending are determined to fight.

When you speak to Mitri, he says he has heard that the Veiled Society is planning a revenge against the hardline Thyatian of the city, considering them moral accomplices of the Iron Ring...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Tiberius agrees with Mikel that we must keep on fighting.

He passes on to Fortunato and the others what Mitri tells him about the Veiled Society.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XVIII - Specularum, 3nd Month (Yarthmont, 990 AC)

Fortunato and Mikel thanks you for the information, but the Veiled Society manages to strike neverthless a few days later despite the alert of the Specularum guards and the curfew.
Several fire arrows and other kinds of small explosions, maybe magical, hit many prominent Thyatian establishments in the next days: houses of powerful families, inns and taverns, shops, even the Church of Thyatis in town and the Church of Karameikos. No one is killed but some people are wounded.
More unrest follows with scuffles in the streets and more people injured and more bad feelings created.

In the meantime the Vorloi have built a chapel in the cemetery for the remains of Marius and Larius. A threatening message appears on its door too a few days later: "Make it bigger".

Kleon, healing Marcus and Marcellus, the fighters of the Thorns, also discover that someone was spying on their dreams, maybe the necromancer captain of the Black Octopus. Fortunately he was able to detect and remove the intrusion. This could explain how the slavers knew you were getting to them.

With the passing of days, Mikel and Gurum too are fully healed, as Adriana and Alke. Gurum is still horribly scarred and burning with the desire for revenge. Fortunato Vorloi gives to each of you an amulet who will protect from fire and electricity, and two healing potions (added to your sheet, plus 4 golds of montly paycheck).

As for the next mission, Philip and Fortunato Vorloi have some ideas:
- Take down a cabal of racist Thyatians and interrogate them to determine if they know something (dangerous and also illegal)
- Talk to people in the Thyatian community of the city, determine who are the allies and who are the enemies (may be dangerous or not, depending on circumstances)
- Go to Fluvius, speak with your parents (easy).

Choose your next mission!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Tiberius is finished dealing with his parents, for now, and refuses to go back and talk to them. He does not approve of the illegal activity, the ends does not justify the means in his mind, so he opts to talk to the people of the Thyatian community, even though he feels he is not the best person suited to this task.

He donates 1 gold to the Church of Saint Lucor.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XVIII - Specularum, 3nd Month (Yarthmont, 990 AC)

"I understand your decision - Fortunato says - but consider that if this war continues to escalate as it is happening now, we will certainly be forced to make some unpleasant choices. Anyway att the moment we need to speak with all the movers and shakers of the Thyatian community, where the slavers may have covers and allies, and later of the Traladaran communities too, because they can be allies but normally are suspicious of us. Where do you wish to start? Nobles, knights, merchants, churches, guilds? The navy, the army? We will have to speak to street gangs too. Anyone who can help. If they do not want to help, we will know for sure where they stand. As you are famous in the city now, you are the perfect emissary for this. Alke obviously will be with you and you can choose two more people among Carla, Adriana, Fabio and Trark. I will need Gurum and the Thorns. I can also give you two or more bodyguards, if you prefer".
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:05 am

I am not judging you for the actions you feel you need to take, those actions are not something I am comfortable with at this time. Tiberius tells Fortunato. I would like Carla and Adriana to accompany me. I worry that a cleric of Saint Lucor may turn some against me and an orc may scare some off from our cause, no disrespect meant to Fabio and Trark. I would like to take up the offer of a couple of bodyguards, we will have them with us as we deal with the gangs and keep them nearby but out of sight while we deal with the others. We will start with the gangs, guilds, and merchants, follow with the nobles, knights and churches, and conclude with the army and navy. I sincerely hope that Carla and Adriana are better with people than myself.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:20 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XIX - Specularum, 3nd Month (Yarthmont, 990 AC)

Fortunato agrees and provides two bodyguards, Erion and Tiberius, who seem two experienced fighters.
Fortunato also gives you and all the others a Vorloi coat, that you can wear over your clothes when you prefer to be immediatly identified as Vorloi men.
Later you discuss with Carla and Adriana about the mission.
"Well the gangs are certainly the most difficult part so maybe we should leave as the last thing - Carla says - you see the city has a lot of gangs, Traladaran, Thyatian and Foreigners, but the Thyatian ones are historically the most elusive, or dangerous, or both. Some people among the churches and the guilds may be able to give us hints about the location of the people who have some control on the streets. But if you prefer, we can start visiting inns and taverns to get a general idea. That's also a possibility, however consider there are lots of such establishment in Specularum!"
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:49 am

Act 3 - New Roads

"We have heard about some, that's sure - Adriana says - in the Foreign quarter there are a Ierendian gang, a Ylari one and a Dwarven one. In the Nest and the Old Quarter there is the Veiled Society, which is Traladaran as you know. Then there are many others, much less publicy know. The Iron Ring itself was quite mysterious until recently. There is Decius Andronicus in the market district. He is rumored to be a Thyatian leader, very dangerous, and few say they have met him. There is Lady Tasha, an equally dangerous Traladaran leader in the Nest. There is Rosa Luln in the South End. I would not say she is exactly a gang leader. She is mixed Traladaran/Thyatian and looks after the poor. There was a gang named the Burglars in the North end, mostly Thyatian kids, but I do not know if they exist yet. There is Stavros in the South End, who is a Traladaran but must have a deal with the local Thyatian guards. There is a faction of the Order of the Griffon who believes in Thyatian supremacism, they may be hard to win over. There are however other factions which may be willing to fight the Iron Ring. There is also Don Annius, a former Thyatian crime lord who was defeated by the Veiled Society and is currently in prison. People say he still know things and speaks with people. There are also famous adventurers like Sharton and Renn, they might be useful and know thing too. There is the Thrakius family, thyatian nobles who seems respected in the streets. There are always new Cults, now there is a Cult of Ruul I heard about. I just listed all the possible useful rumors here, you should choose where to begin.."
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:20 am

Act 3 - New Roads

"Not technically gang leaders - Carla adds - but I would consider two more Thyatian personalities. One is Longinus, a famous sailor who is a sort of leader for Thyatian sailors and probably will become a Ship Captain soon. He is rumored to have good relations with the Vorloi. And then there is Vespasian Corbula, veteran of the Order of the Griffon. But maybe you will want to tackle the whole Order of the Griffon later".
Sturm
Black Dragon

Previous

Return to The Crystal Globe