The Karameikos PbP Act 3 New roads (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: The Karameikos PbP Act 3 New roads (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Fri May 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XII - Specularum, 24th-28th day (Thaumont, 24th-28th, 990 AC)

Remember to tell me if you want to speak to Tatjana or not.

In the evening of Thaumont 24th you go to the Church of Saint Lucor. A great number of people are present, more than can be fitted into the small church. Obviously most of them are here because they wish to meet you. There are many Karameikans, some Thyatians and some Traladarans. After a brief prayer to the Immortals Three (Halav, Petra and Zirchev) and to Saint Lucor, most of the meeting is about fighting the slavers.
Fabio (the acolyte cleric) is willing to join you when you want and, should you have some difficulties, the other three more experienced clerics are willing to help too. There are volunteers among the faithfuls too.
You are particularly impressed by a beautiful girl named Mira.
(Note what I have wrote in the OOC thread about romantic interests. Tiberius is a young boy not especially beautiful, funny or charming, since his charisma is only 8, but now he is famous, so now girls will be interested in him nevertheless. He is probably not used to that).

In the next days, Trark and Mikel say you should form a group of people who will include you, Trark, Gurum the dwarf, Fabio the acolyte cleric, Carla and Adriana (and your dog Alke). Mikel too will join when he can. The first thing to do is to train this new group to fight together, and it will take some time..
(As the others, you should also choose a basic style of fighting, you now have warhammer, dagger, chainmail and shield, but you also wanted a longsword and Mikel advises you to acquire an helmet too. Fortunato will supply a fien longsword and a helmet at no cost. He also gives you 5 golds for the first month, which is a very good wage).

28 Thaumont is also the Day of the Dead. On this day, Traladaran citizens of Karameikos dress in black as if to go to a funeral, sweep out their homes, and tell the spirits of the dead to be gone. At night, they wear white garments and feast merrily.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sun May 22, 2016 3:23 am

Tiberius thanks Fabio for joining with him. As for Mira, Tiberius admires her for her beauty but being shy and bashful and lacking the confidence to approach her does not act on his infatuation.

Tiberius thanks Fortunato for the fine sword and helmet.

He heeds Trark and Mikel's advice and forms a group of people around him, inviting all they suggest and also the performer Valeria, he feels she would be a good source of information if she is willing to help.

On the Day of the Dead Tiberius cleans sweeps the spirits out of his house and invites his little group, along with the other clerics from St. Lucor, to join him in for the nightly feast. During the feast he does his best to learn what he can of his newest companions (Fabio, the dwarf, and the rescued slaves).
Last edited by Dartamian on Sun May 22, 2016 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Dartamian » Sun May 22, 2016 3:25 am

Tiberius inquires with Mikel what type of ranged weapon is generally used by the city guards. He would like to be trained in a ranged weapon, that may come in handy some day, and he would like to be able to use one that is common so he does not stand out and has easier access to one when needed.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Dartamian » Sun May 22, 2016 3:44 am

Tiberius wants nothing to do with Tatjana for the time being. He is offended by her attitude nearly as much as he is by that of his own slave trading father.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Dartamian » Sun May 22, 2016 3:51 am

In his down time, Tiberius takes to walking around the city with Alke to make himself familiar with the various places. He makes maps of the city noting items that catch his interest (where certain shops, churches, ethnic groups, entertainment and the like are). He will try to correlate his city map to any maps he makes from searching the underground. He welcomes others from his group to join him when they want. He tries to take different paths as often as he can and has a friendly demeanor to any that approach him, talking with them politely. He does not as a rule approach people to engage them in conversation. Tiberius remains armed and alert for those that may do him harm.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon May 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Act 3 - New Roads

City guards use either bows or crossbows. Mikel says in the end is just personal preference. The bow is normally lighter, faster to reload and has more range, but it takes time to learn it. The crossbow is heavier and longer to reload, but you can learn to use it rather quickly. Also a small crossbow could be a good weapon even at short distances, when there is no time to draw an arrow.

On the evening of the 28th, Trark, Fabio, Mikel, Carla, Adriana and Valeria come to your house, and the dwarf Gurum too. "Damn bastards of the Iron Ring, I have been two years after them. A Highforge mining expedition disappeared, we discovered they took them all. Ten people between dwarves and gnomes. Most of them ended in Thyatis and Sind, one in Minrothad. We found 6 of them already, some we had to bough back! Four are still missing, but other people are searching for them. Point is, none can do such a thing to Highforge citizens. I've already taken down more than 10 slavers, but they seem to expand every day. Now I've also another mission, assigned to me by the dwarven cleric of Kagyar in Specularum, Klist. He has discovered some of the Iron Ring have burned down a dwarven forge some months ago. It belonged to a dwarf named Dwalor, who died in the fire. He was the uncle of your former associate, Bofar. I have to find the arsonists and kill them. I can use some help".

(I will make another post tomorrow about walking around the city to give you short descriptions of each quarter/area).
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Wed May 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Act 3 - New Roads

All the participants in the dinner are interested in helping Gurum, even if Mikel precises that the arsonists should be delivered to the authorities and interrogated, not killed. The dwarf grunts but nods.

During these days, you can also familiarize with the city (http://pandius.com/Detailed_Specularum_01.jpg), starting with the Merchant District (http://pandius.com/Merchant_District.pdf) where the Mirror Bay Inn is (M5) the Blue Water Mead Hall (M3) the place suspected of having an access to the slavers' hideouts, which is very near. The Hightower (M1). The office of the Harbor Master (M21), in front of the Hightower, the small temple of Koryis where Trark lives (M27, small near M33, The Tannery Tavern and M14, the Skinners Guildhall).
Your house is one of the small green squares east of M9 (The Cutlers Guildhall).
As you can see there a lot of Guildhalls, Shops, Warehouses, Inn and Taverns in this district. The population is mixed and includes Thyatians, Traladarans, Karameikans and Foreigners. People in this district know you and greet you while you pass by.

Going south from M13 (Bowyers Guildhall) you can reach Bricktop, the middle class district (http://pandius.com/Bricktop.pdf). The Vorloi houses are immediately there (B15 and B29), the opposite block from the now empty Turano's house (B14 and 31). The Population here is mostly Karameikan and Thyatian, but there are also some Traladarans. People here know you too and often greet you. There are also many Vorloi men here who know you well.

Going north from M12 (Butchers Guildhall) in the Merchant District you can immediately reach the Church of Saint Lucor in the North End (NE16 here http://pandius.com/North_End.pdf). This district is mainly Thyatian and Karameikan, but the are of the Church is mainly Karameikan. You have not explored the rest of the district so far.

The block between M4 and M13 in the Merchant district lead instead to the Old Quarter (http://pandius.com/Old_Quarter.pdf) and immediately to O13, The Bawd and Minister (Besides being a famous inn this building is also a 'house of ill repute'. Well, the ill part depends on you point of view. It is located in the part of the Old Quarter that borders the Merchant District in Specularum. The local barkeep, Ising Perpalp, is the husband of the madam of the brothel, a woman named Estella).
The population here is mostly Traladaran but you have not explored it much so far.

Tell me if you want more info on a particular location or if you want to have a panoramic view of the other more far districts too (The Nest, Foreign Quarter, The Hill, South End, Stronghold, Church district)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Thu May 26, 2016 11:40 pm

Gurum, I'll help you track down the arsonists, but I agree with Mikel. The authorities need to take care of their punishment. Do you have any clues yet as to where the arsonists might be hiding?

Does anyone know of a magic user that can assist us? I feel like some magical support would be a boon to us.

Tiberius decides he would like to be trained in the crossbow, after listening to Mikel's advice.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri May 27, 2016 11:27 am

Act 3 - New Roads

"From what I've learned so far from Mikel and Trark I think you already met the arsonist - Gurum says - it's the leader of the slavers you met in the tunnels the first time, the tall and dark haired man. The same who captured Fortunato, Tatjana and Taradain later. The man was not seen on the Black Octopus however, so he must still be here in Specularum. But I have no clue about his hiding place..".
"About this we may be able to do something - Mikel says nodding to Adriana - Adriana and her companions, the Hawks, were captured in the Undercity and she believes she may be able to trace back her step to that area. If we explore that region of the tunnels, we may be able to find something. You Tiberius however may be a bit young for this mission, which could be quite dangerous. We have also to investigate some clues about the possible murderers of Taradain's parents. You could do that, even if this too could not be risk free. The safer mission for you would be to go with Fabio an speak with representatives of the other churches of the city, to see if they are willing to help us".

(As you may have seen in the OOC thread, you get to choose between three missions:
- Speak to the Churches, the safer one
- Spy on possible murderers, could be easy or dangerous depending on the situation
- Descend into the Undercity, dangerous.)

Given your young age, Mikel and Trark advise you choose the first or the second, but if you want to go with them in the Undercity they will not forbid you to do so.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Gurum, I would like to go with you and help track down the arsonists.

Mikel, I understand that there are other things that may need to be done that are safer, but I believe I personally need to stay active against these slavers, for my own peace of mind.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon May 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Act 3 - New Roads
Scene XIII - Specularum, 31st day (Flaurmont, 3rd, 990 AC)

Then is decided to go searching for traces of Adriana's former group in the Undercity.
The adventuress is able to backtrack to the area where she and her companions were attacked, somewhere in the tunnels below the Merchant district and the North end.
Not only Mikel, Trark, Carla, Adriana, Gurum and Fabio are present, but also the Thorns: Larius, Alexius, Kleon, Marcellus and Marcus.
When you arrive near the area Adriana remembers, you clearly see some old signs of a struggle: drops of bloods, a broken dagger, an extinguish torch.
While you are examining the tunnels, Larius and Carla both signals at the same time to be quiet.
You can hear something from the nearby passages, maybe approaching steps...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Mon May 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Tiberius stays quiet and finds a good place to hide. If he has a chance, he prepares to draw his sword if necessary.

How many passages are the noises coming from?
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 am

Act 3 - New Roads

There are three passages going out of this area and the noises come from all around.
Mikel and Trark signal to everyone to form a circle, and you do so as quickly as possible.
Alke growls beside you.
A voice speaks from the shadows.
"We have a proposal for you - the voice says - you stop fighting us and we will not destroy you and everything you love. Most of you are Thyatians. You do not need to risk so much to protect filthy Traladarans..".
The man who has spoken is barely visible in the shadows, but you recognize him. It's the dark haired and tall man. The one who get away during the first encounter in the tunnels, the one who kidnapped Taradain and the suspected arsonist of Bofar's uncle. In front of him there are more men, most of them almost naked.
"Many of us are Thyatians indeed and we will fight you to the end because we despise what you do - Mikel replies - and we believe your very existence sully our people!"
"As you wish" the dark man says, and he advance with the unarmed men. You can see the half orc coming from the other direction with more half naked men and the man you believe it's a cleric coming from the third passage.
Chaos ensues. The cleric says something, and your clerics, Fabio and Kleon, do the same.
Alexius, the Thorns' wizard, cast a lightning bolt toward the uncoming men.
Carla and Larius shoot arrows. Trark throws something. Mikel, Adriana, Gurum, Marcellus and Marcus cry out and charge.
Your move!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 am

Tiberius draws his sword and stands back to protect Alexius as he casts spells. If he sees anyone needing support he will provide it, slashing at whatever is threatening them. Also, he watches the three leaders to make sure they don't try to flee. If one does flee he pursues (if there is a clear enough path to get to them). He commands Alke to stand guard with him until the time comes to command him to attack.

He assumes the half dressed men are zombies since the clerics are all involved (and he has seen zombies before).
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:24 am

Act 3 - New Roads

All happens in the same instant and you have an hard time to acknowledge everything.
The half dressed man are not undead. They turn into rat-men in front of your eyes.
Almost half of them fall down almost immediately, struck by magic cast by Fabio, Kleon and Alexius.
The enemy cleric however does something similar, and Trark, Carla and Alexius fall down too, apparently not wounded but immobilized by magic.
The dark haired man attacks Mikel.
The half orc was wounded by Alexius' lightning, but attacks Gurum anyway.
One wererat each engage Adriana, Fabio, Kleon, Larius, Marcus and Marcellus.
The last one attacks you. He tries to hit you but only struck your chainmail. You hit him in the chest, but barely nick his skin, and you see the wound immediately repair itself under your eyes!
When Alke attacks the creature however the result is different. The dog's bite open a bad wound on the creature's leg, who howls in pain and surprise.
You see the enemy cleric has no one attacking him and he is preparing some new spell. You realize you cannot allow this to happen....
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Tiberius charges at the cleric, attacking him with his sword and ordering Alke to attack.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Act 3 - New Roads

You charge against the enemy cleric and disrupt his spell before he is able to cast it, hitting him heavily on the shoulder.
Mikel disarm his opponent, who is forced to retreat.
Gurum hits his opponent, wounding him.
Adriana hits the wererat against whom she is fighting, stunning him.
You hear a yelp of pain from Alke, and you see the wererat has wounded him.
The others continue fighting, Kleon brings down his opponent somehow, probably by magic.
The enemy cleric, enraged, attacks you with a mace.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Tiberius, though concerned for Alke, attempts to disarm the cleric, and if successful follows with a trip attempt.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:46 am

Act 3 - New Roads

The cleric tries to hit you but fails. You parry and try to make him lose the mace, but he holds to it. You succeed however in tripping him and he falls down, but you fail to stun him as he parries the following blow when you try to hit him on his helmet.
The fight goes on around you but you are unable to see what happens exactly. It seems that Alke is fighting back anyway...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:39 pm

Tiberius continues to attack the cleric until he subdues him. Doing his best to not get hit himself.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Act 3 - New Roads

The cleric tries to rise and hit you again, but this time you hit in the head and, even if he wears an helmet, he goes down. Mikel, failing to reach his opponent, helps you by hitting the cleric again, who falls down unconscious.
"Good job - he says - lets follow the man!". He indicates the dark haired man, who is running away after Mikel disarmed him.

In the meantime Adriana strikes down her opponent.
Kleon frees Alexius and Carla from their magical paralysis.
12 giant rats arrive, attacking your group.
You run after the man, but Mikel cannot keep his pace and is quickly distanced.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Tiberius continues to chase after the fleeing man, calling on Alke for help and making a mental note of how to return the way he came. If he can catch up with the man he attempts to overpower him.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Act 3 - New Roads

Just after a bend of the passage, the dark haired man is in front of you. He punches you in the face, sending you back. You try to hit him but he blocks easily both your arms. "You are strong, but just a boy" he says, throwing you to the ground.
You hear Mikel approaching, and the man runs away.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dartamian » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Tiberius continues to follow the man to see where he goes.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Act 3 - New Roads

You and Mikel try to follow the man but it seems he just disappeared into the tunnels. Eventually you have to give up and return to the others.
You find that Fortunato has arrived with several more men and you won. The half orc and two wererats ran away, while the cleric and 8 wererats were captured alive. Two are dead. The giant rats panicked and went away too.
Alke has been wounded, as Marcus and Gurum, but Fabio and Kleon are already healing them. Trark was just stunned and is recovering.
"They thought they had trapped us but the trap was for them - Fortunato says - and now we have 9 more prisoners to question and trial!"
Sturm
Black Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to The Crystal Globe