The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Back to Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene I - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

Starting a new thread and continuing the story from here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15082&p=183568#p183568

You are now back in Highforge and the beginning of the new month of Buhrlen/Felmont (July) brings some nice summer days. Gnomes and other inhabitants of the city go to the nearby streams and small lakes to bathe and there are no further news of troubles around the land inhabited by gnomes and dwarves. The situation in the rest of Karameikos is different however, reports of banditry and humanoids attack keep coming from the south and, less frequently, from the north.
It seem Desmond Kelvin is now preparing a full military expedition against the Dymrak goblins.
In Highforge the Council discuss for days, until at last Bonth reports their decision to you.
"I am not happy with the decision of the King and the Council, I must honestly tell you. - the gnome soldier says - They have finally decide gnomes and dwarves should not really be involved in human struggles, and so they will do basically nothing to help Threshold and other nearby communities. They hope these attacks will stop on their own but I think they are wrong. However I am a soldier of Eveskyr and I have my orders. We will patrol strictly inside our borders, never to cross the rivers, and we will just help the Nighstalkers goblins in the north with minimal provisions. Still, I think this course of action will backfire very soon and therefore I believe we should prepare for the worst. Your encounter with the harpies in Mirdal really gave me an idea. I think we should try to contact any intelligent creatures that live in the region, to gain their alliance if possible or to understand if they could be internal enemies. We will have a lot of exploration to do and a lot of maps to draw. Are you up to the task?"

If you stay in Highforge, during the next year you will explore the surface of the region inhabited by gnomes and dwarves. You will be able to choose month by month which valleys to visit..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

Postby hihama » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm in. It is actually interesting if we found some new "friends" living around. We might even meet some centaurs..., says Bofar wistfully.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Dervish » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:35 pm

"I realize they must do what they think is best for the kingdom but this is like watching a school yard bully beat up all the kids around you until everyone is following the bully when he comes for you. evil like this never just stops on its own"
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby agathokles » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Maybe the Council has its reasons. Anyway, I'm with you.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Scene II - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 1st-28th, 990 AC)

"Trying to gain the alliance of centaurs would be indeed a very good idea - Bonth says - yet most of them live beyond the Shutturga to the east. But we will try. I really hope the Council has its reason as Lucius say but I mostly share the fears of Taradain. Anyway we will see what will happen in the next months.."

Equipment and Living:
You receive three months of pay from Highforge, 15 golds. Added to the sheets. Removed 2 silvers for minor personal expenses.
Highforge is a city where a variety of equipment is often available, including trained animals, horses, magic and much else. So if you want to buy something, tell me. Also you now still have quite basic clothing and little personal items with you. Now that you have a steady paycheck you may wish to buy something else, such as clothes, books, jewelry, good food or anything else you may like.
Even if you do not spend anything for food and living, as you have it free in the Ranger House or where you work or among the family in the case of Bofar, I will remove 2 silvers a month for minor expenses (drinks, food, basic clothing).
Bofar has a room in the house of his family.
Dim has a room in the Illusionist house.
Taradain and Lucius have a room each at the Ranger house.
These rooms are very small, with a small window, and contain only a bed, a candle and a small unlocked chest. You may wish to improve or decorate them at some point or even to have a more permanent lodging.

Personal life and relationships:
I have added to your sheets the people you have known in Mirdal, Chryspatos and Threshold.
As already said Bofar has a family in Highforge. Grand Aunt Durla, sister of your paternal grandfather, encourages him to see her niece Klisa, the daughter of his son Moric. She is a gem cutter, is beautiful and seems a nice, solid dwarf girl, four years younger than you. Bofar's interest in her is +7. Her apparent interest in you is +7 too. (See explanation of this here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14327&p=183685#p183685)
However Aunt Thrala, daughter of the brother of Bofar's maternal grandmother, also encourages him to see her daughter Faris, a leatherworker as she, apparently a much more expansive and exuberant girl than Klisa (for a dwarf girl). She is nine years younger than Bofar. Bofar's attraction for her is only +3, even if many dwarf would consider her more beautiful than Klisa. Faris' apparent interest for Bofar is only +1.

As already said Dim is very interested in Agnja, also an apprendist at the Illusionist house with the gnome wizard Teish. Dim's interest in Agnja is +9, while her apparent interest in Dim is just +1. Still she seems a bit more interested in Dim than in her friend Blago who came from her village and clearly likes her, immediately hating Dim because Agnja seems to favor him.

Taradain for now has not encounted any human boy of her age. She spends most of her time at the Ranger house with the haflings rogues Mino and Talla or at the Music house with the middle age gnome female bard Lasa.

Lucius sometimes drinks a beer at the Iron Axe Inn, where occasionally some humans are present. He meets four adventurers, a gnome male, a dwarf female, a human male and a human female named Tiana. They are here to explore the burrows, searching for treasures. Tiana says she is from Minrothad. Lucius' interest in her is +6, her apparent interest in him is +4. She seems available for a non-committed relationship, if Lucius is interested.

Obiously you can choose any action taking into account your character and his situation. Lucius can choose to hang out with Tiana for just a while and develop a simple friendship with her, while Bofar could decide he doesn't want to do anything now, just slowly knowing better his two cousins once removed. Dim could also wait to see if Agnja will like him a bit more, or try to speak with her immediately.
Taradain could see if there are human boys and girls her age in town, not necessarily for romantic interests but also just for friendships..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:40 pm

Lucius, at this time, seems to have developed a cynic streak, and spends most of his spare time brooding. He may take an interest in Tiana, but he will hardly make the first step.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby hihama » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Bofar will spend some for buying better clothes for formal occasions. For now he will not act on his interest on Klisa and definitely tries avoid showing any interest to Faris. He is not too keen to marry yet and is afraid that if he is doing anything outside normal courtesy, the family would make the decision without consulting him.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Tiana is expansive but not so much as to make the first step herself, so she just speak friendly with Lucius when she meet him.
She may be a bit offended by his apparent lack of interest, and she scolds him a bit. "You are much too young to be so dark Lucius - the girl says - if you do not feel confident enough in your choice of the adventurer's life, maybe you are not cut for it".

(Bofar spends 1 gold for a set of good clothes, sheet updated). Klisa, patient as dwarf girls normally are, is not bothered at all by Bofar's lack of action. Still, she seems able to understand that Bofar indeed has more than a little interest in her, and from time to time ask him to help her in some simple task or to walk with her to some place to show him the city.
Faris seems much less eager to hang out with him. She is just normally nice and sometimes speaks with him of normal things.
The rest of tha family anyway does not mention the word marriage with Bofar, for the moment.

Work and Training

You all keep on training in the Ranger House with Bonth and Karto, Bofar and Lucius for all the mornings.
In the same location, Taradain is also trained by the halflings, Mino and Talla, for half the morning.
Dim spends only an hour in the morning training with you at the Ranger House, and the rest of the time studies under the gnome wizard Teish at the Illusionist House.

In the afternoon, Taradain helps the gnome bard Lasa in the Music House.
Bofar and Dim work with the dwarven smith Turom.
Lucius can be employed as a guard, if he is willing. That would be mostly patrolling duties in Highforge proper.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Sturm wrote:Tiana is expansive but not so much as to make the first step herself, so she just speak friendly with Lucius when she meet him.
She may be a bit offended by his apparent lack of interest, and she scolds him a bit. "You are much too young to be so dark Lucius - the girl says - if you do not feel confident enough in your choice of the adventurer's life, maybe you are not cut for it".

Perhaps, but I see it differently -- it's a dirty job, but someone must do it, and my temperament fits as well as the next guy. In this line of work, being too confident, or too boisterous, can significantly shorten your life expectation.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Tian shrugs "Maybe, still, if you do not enjoy it, you could well choose more safer jobs". After this, she let the matter go.

Families and Friends
Bofar hardly knew he had an extensive family in Highforge. Now, reasoning about it and from some things his parents, his uncle and the newfound family said, he is beginning to connect the dots. Clearly his grandparents left Highforge because they had some kind of fall out with the family, but none ever explained Bofar what caused it. However the family has been very supportive in the last months and he has every reason to be happy to have meet them. Still he has left people in Specularum. He receives some letters from them.
(He can hardly hide to the others the fact he receives mail, but I will write the content in his sheet in case he doesn't want to share all the content with the others, please check Bofar's solo playing file).

Taradain also was an orphan, but he knew and has met people in Specularum. Does she like to write to them? As Fortunato, Mikel, Trark? Or even Tatjana, who was after the men suspected of having killed your parents. (Also Fortunato was after them anyway). How does she react to Tiberius, Carla and Adriana's disappearance? Does she wish to write to Captain Caius, former lieutenant of her father, who however could know something about her parents' death he never told her?

Dim has a family in Marilenev. He wrote to them when he was still in Specularum. Does he wish to write to them again? Send money? Does he wish to write to someone in Specularum? Mikel? Trark? Fortunato? Mitri? Grigory the smith? Giorgios the wizard?

Lucius’ family lives in Specularum and is generally in good relations with his parents. Does he writes to them? Lucius has also two younger siblings (a brother and a sister), does he writes to them? Mikel? others?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Lucius writes rarely, and then only to his parents. He doesn't want to impose on people he barely knows to get his messages relayed. He doesn't mention anything specific about what he is doing, except that it's a guard job.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby hihama » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Bofar writes some new letters to Specularum.

OOC: More information on Bofar's sheet.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:49 pm

(Replied in Bofar's and Lucius' sheets about the letters)

Rumors, tavern talk and events of the month

- A city has appeared north of Threshold, out of nowhere and without any inhabitants!
- Some Siswa elves are visiting Highforge.
- A minor fire has burned down a house in the Uppercity
- A shooting star has fallen down in the Moor of Kelvin!
- A machine has gone on a rampage inside the House of the Artificiers
- The cult of the Dark Triad is roaming villages in all the north proselitizing..
- Minister of Trade Bartran Cordelius has proposed that two ministry should be given to Traladarans, sparkling a hot debate at Court.
- Minister of State Krollan Kallergan has promise to hunt down the minions of the Iron Ring everywhere they may hide.
- Skarda has returned to kidnap people in the night. He is not a man, but an evil spirit no one can stop.
- The Iron Ring is recruiting vampires and werewolves.

You are obviously free to investigate and discuss such rumors as you like.

(Before we proceed with a small mission and the next month, who hasn't done it yet please also check previous posts about equipment, relationships, families, work and reply to them if necessary).
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Lucius discusses these events with the others, pointing out that an entire city appearing out of nowhere is fishy, and likely out of our league. We could volunteer to investigate the shooting star -- maybe there's something useful to grab there, like meteoric iron.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby hihama » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Bofar agrees with Lucius that meteoric iron would be nice to find. He is also curious about Siswa elves.
By the way, have I told you that Tiberius has disappeared in Specularum? I got the information in a letter already before our trip to Threshold.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Can't say I'm surprised... replies Lucius, shaking his head. He should have skipped town, like we did.
Then, What exactly are these Siswa? Someone mentioned them as Elves, but I'm not familiar with the name.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Dervish » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 am

I write to Trark and Fortunato detailing the groups experiences and asking for news of home. when not helping at the house of song

"that he has vanished is worrying let us hope he just went underground as it were."

"I would like to check out the fire in the upper city" Taradain says one night over dinner at the tavern "It reminds me too much of what happened to me"
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:17 pm

The fire in the Upper city turns out to be something relatively harmless with no victims or wounded, at the house of Artificiers a gnome inventor, Dwen Skenresh, and his team had a bit of a problem while trying to replicate the effect of a fireball with non-magic means.
Taradain encounter a young gnome while looking at the scene "Hi, my name is Gnumsh and the inventor is my father - he says - He think gnomish inventions can do better than magic in all fields, but sometimes it's a bit more difficult than it seems. You are quite young for a human, aren't you? I have not seen many human girls, but I believe there are at least a couple of young humans in Highforge. Do you know them?"

About the Siswa elves, Bonth can reply to you.
"Strange elves, they live in a village called Kota-Hutan and people say they are pacifist, but have some sort of powerful magic to protect themselves. They are friendly however, you can go talk to them if you want to.."

About the meteoric iron, Bonth agrees Highforge would be very interested to collect it. Also the Moor is inhabited by centaurs, if you want to meet them. Still such an expedtion could be difficult and straight to the regions which experienced troubles with bandits and humanoids recently.
However if you want to go, he can arrange an expedition.
If not, you could soon partecipate in the mapping of one of the vales of the Highforge region. This later task may be less or more dangerous depending on who, or what, you will encounter, but it is theorically less dangerous than going to the Moor.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Lucius is in favor of an expedition to the Moor. It could also be useful to see what is going on with bandits and humanoids.
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Dervish » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 pm

" I did not know there were very many humans in Highforge i will likely seek them out when time allows, Truth be told i don't have many firends here just the companions i came here with and a few people i have met during my studies.

As for the meteoric iron i would definitely agree with Lucius but exploring the city that just appeared has a strong lure to it as well
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Cedric » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Dim trains with determination.
He doesn't use his own money for non-essential motives, and he is quite modest in his life style.
In the meanwhile, he is kind with Agnja, but also quite prudent: his primary objective is to become a good wizard, and he is afraid that such a complicated involvement, and consequent conflictual relational issues with Blago, could affect his overall effort.

He write to his family, reassuring them and asking for the situation in the south; and he writes also to Grigory and Giorgios, sharing with them some general information on his progresses and the recent advances in Highforge magic and blacksmithing.

For the mission, he agrees with Lucius: meteoric iron could be very interesting, both from a magic-related than a blacksmithing-related perspective.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby hihama » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Danger or no danger, we'll go to find that shootig star.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Gnumsh can lead Taradain to the local young humans in Highforge. He is 21 years old, but for a gnome that means is more or less as young as you are. Tarja is a girl of 13 years old with dark hair and eyes. She is originally from the nearby vilage of Motahur, but her parents are working with gnomes in Highforge as herbalists. Marcus is a 11 years old boy from Kelvin. He is an orphan too, but his grandparents live here in Highforge as thatchers, and he is learning the trade. They seem nice and say you can hang out with them and Gnumsh when you want to.

Bonth then discuss with you the plan to search for the shooting star.
"We will go in a large group including Karto, another dwarf warrior, Mino and Talla, Teish and all his apprentices, Neim and Kesh. We will not take the usual ferry but a smaller one which leads to Guido's Fort, a human town on the other side of the Shutturga. Going there we will also explore the valleys between Highforge and Hrakon, which should be inhabited by interesting creatures.
The day after you are ready to go. Karto presents you the other warrior, Wyric. Teish, the gnome wizard who teaches Dim is also present with his apprentices Killi, Vane (gnomes), Agnja and Blago (humans). You are 16 people in total and have ponies for everyone. The so called Highforge ponies are small horses which however are big and tall enough to carry a normal human. You soon leave any road to take a trail among the hills which seems more suited for goats than horses. You see birds, hear small animals and some deers in the distance. Bonth says there are 9 miles to Hrakon, but on this trail you will have to stop for the night in a small village which is also a stone quarry. There you may find some informations about the creatures inhabiting the region.
Before the sunset indeed you arrive to a quarry hidden among the hills, with a village with stone houses around it.
You hear heavy footsteeps and Bonth stops the group. He smiles at you, clearly knowing something you do not know.
From a bend in the trail comes a human-like creature 14 feet (more than 4 meters) tall, with his skin grey as rock and dressed with skins. He carries a stone club, you realize is a very big stalagmite.
"Friends, I suppose?" the giant asks in gnomish with some strange accent, looking at you.

(Wrote also in Dim's solo playing sheet about letters to his family and friends)
Last edited by Sturm on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:39 pm

A giant!, whispers Bofar astonished.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:01 am

"I suppose you are Karkum". Bonth says to the giant, and he nods.
Bonth explain a certain number of stone giants lives between north eastern Highforge territory and north in the Wufwolde hills, and even more in the mountains beyond. They help with the stones in the village of Denbol, where you are now.
The quarry indeed is mostly hidden among the hills and partially underground.
Bonth talks to the stone giant and some gnomes of the village while you eat a dinner of mutton, vegetables, potatoes and ale, then comes back to you.
"I have good news because the giants are indeed very annoyed by recents attacks from orcs, hobgoblins, gnolls and human bandits and are willing to ally with us. But they want some help first in the north, where some human merchants are accusing them of stealing, and also in the hills, where one of their eggs have been stolen. Now to take these matters into our hands could be a little complicated and lead us to unknown dangers. So maybe is better if I report this to the Highforge government instead and we go on to the Shutturga. What do you think?"
Sturm
Black Dragon

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe