The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

Post by agathokles » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Unless there are other ideas, Lucius thinks we should follow the centaurs.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:19 am

The Hill, east of the Shutturga
Scene XV - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 12th day, 990 AC)

You are led through the Moor not too far away, less than half an hour walk, to tents camp full of centaurs and humans, including children of both races. The inhabitants are occupied in everyday activities such as cooking, sort vegetables and nuts, tan leather and there is also a sort of mobile forge in activity. Many look at you or come near to observe your arrival. The humans seem mostly traladarans and you also spot some goblins and even three lizardmen speaking with some centaurs. The centaurs are mostly naked in the warm summer, and some of the humans are lightly dressed too.
Your guides lead you to a big tent in the center of the camp where an elderly couple of centaurs is speaking with others, a human and two goblins. When the centaurs with you address them and explain why you are here, the female centaur turns to you.
She is dressed with a sort of big band of coloured cloth adorned with many silver and amber jewels. Her hair are grey and she seems quite old, but her gaze is strong and determined. She speak an almost perfect Thyatian.
"The people of the forest and some goblins which are friendly to us have related that three major Leptarian tribes are moving from the north. We think their purpose is to sack as many human towns and villages along the Volaga as they can, before Kelvin or Penhaligon send armies against them. We are talking hundreds if not thousand of warriors. Trying to stop them would cost us hundreds of dead, and to what gain? Have more human expansion at the borders of our lands? The best you could do is warn those people to escape to our lands or to Kelvin. I doubt the major towns, Krondsfield and Guido's Fort, will be able to withstand a humanoid assault. If a red dragon is also involved, they have no chances"
The centaur lady looks solemnly at you.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:58 pm

We have sent runners to the people of Guido's Fort, already. However, we don't have enough people to send runners to every village along the Volaga. That alone would be significant help. As you say, Kelvin and Penhaligon will field their armies as soon as possible -- Baron Kelvin already knows of the threat. However, Thyatian armies work better in open fields, with Kerendan-style cavalry such as that of the Baron Kelvin, or in large infantry units. Skirmishers and light cavalry are not their forte, and the same is true of the people of Highforge. While it would be unreasonable to face the Leptarians alone, it would be wise to join forces with Kelvin, Penhaligon, and Highforge. Sooner or later, the Karameikan population will expand along the Volaga anyway -- it is a major waterway and flanks a major trade route to Darokin. If the area becomes more dangerous, the merchants will push the Duke to increase the military control by building more forts, and sending more soldiers. Thus, it would be in your interest too to keep the status quo, and possibly establish a cooperation with the local leaders, who are more likely to be interested than the politicians in Specularum.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:14 am

The centaur lady thinks about Lucius words a little, then speaks again.
"We are willing to help, we can send fast messengers to the villages near the river and keep an eye on the movement of the humanoid army, but consider that we believe more than 3,500 humans live in the region between Kelvin and Penhaligon, outside the two dominions. To move them all to the Moor is difficult and anyway we would not be able to feed them for more than a few days. The best we can do is to advise them to go as fast as possible to Kelvin or Penhaligon, whichever is the nearest. But I tell you that if the inhabitants of minor villages could accept this, the people of Guido's Fort and Krondsfield will most certainly refuse. Their leaders are proud warriors who will not run away from humanoids. They think their wooden palizades will be able to resist, but the size of the enemy force will overwhelm them in just one assault. I say this not even taking into account the red dragon. We will send the messengers, but I doubt we can save the towns. Unless your friends can kill the Hobgoblin king, or you are willing to appeal to the Blue Lady. But she will demand a payment you and Desmond Kelvin may be unwilling to pay".

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:52 am

What Blue Lady?

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:42 pm

The centaur lady looks the old centaur male beside her, and he nods slightly.
"If you go to meet her, she will not most certainly appear to you as such, but she is a dragon. A Blue dragon, the leader of the dragons in this region. She has many resources, but I cannot know if she will be willing to spend some of them to help humans".

Cedric
Gnoll

Post by Cedric » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:27 pm

"Dragons?", Dim asks, with emotion. "There are other Dragons, here? What they would ask for help?"

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:10 pm

The centaur lady shrugs.
"From Kelvin probably some sort of non-agression treaty with payment in gems and magical objects. From you, probably some difficult service to perform".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Where would we find this Blue Lady?

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:25 pm

If the danger is of the magnitude you are describing, we will need every help we can get.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:26 pm

in for a penny in for a pound lets find her
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:30 pm

The centaur lady smiles.
"We will send warnings to the villages and town. In the meantime one of my people will guide you to the east. If you mention the red dragon, she may be more willing to help. Such an intrusion will likely irritate her".
A centaur warrior soon come forward to guide you outside the camp and toward the east. It takes almost the whole day in the Moor to reach a region of broken hills, where you can see a big cave.
The centaur tells you to wait for him, then advances alone to the cave.
After a while a group of grey, bipedal lizards come toward you, all dressed and armed with lances. The lizards are clearly intelligent, and the centaur says they will guide you inside.
Bonth says to remain calm and follow them, hoping for the best.
The lizard-like creatures guide you inside the cave and through a series of convoluted passages and caverns, many of which are inhabited by several more creatures like them. You also think you can spot forges, domestic animals and many other signs of permanent residents.
At last you reach some gigantic bronze doors inscribed in an unknown language and decorated with bas-relieves of dragons and other figures. Your guides open the door and inside it there is a room which could well have been moved from the Ducal palace, with a fireplace, carpet, table and rich armchairs.
A woman dressed in blue, black and purple wait for you inside. Your guides soon left you alone with her. She has black-blue hair and blue eyes and her gaze has a strenght you have never seen before.
"Please sit, if the centaurs have led you to me that means you must have important informations, or an interesting proposal, or both. I am eager to hear it". She speaks in perfect thyatian and smiles, apparently cordial and warm.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:57 pm

Lucius recommends that we merely bring news but do not commit to any alliance. No matter the danger to the settlements, we do not have the authority to negotiate on behalf of Kelvin or Penhaligon, and not even on behalf of Highforge, unless Bonth has a wider license than Lucius expects. He leaves the talks to Bonth, in any case.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Bonth agrees with Lucius and speaks on behalf of the group. He explain the situation near Guido's Fort and the presence of the red dragon says that the elders of Highforge would accept a proposal of alliance for common interests, such as keeping humanoids, slavers and human encroaching off their respective territories.
The Blue Lady smiles and nods, then she claps and the lizard-like creatures bring plates of food and a table.
"Please sit and eat something with me. Your information is interesting and we could work on your proposal, but I understand you now need me to scare the humanoids away. Such a move could trigger a reaction from this red dragon. I do not particularly fear him, but why should I risk so much for short-living races which usually cannot keep a promise for more than a few years, if not months? If you really want my immediate intervention I will ask for something in return. Three years. Are you willing to give me three years?"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Three years of what? Service?

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:36 am

"Service indeed. You will be agents and ambassadors for me. You will get to know secrets few of the short living races know and wield powers beyond your imagination. You will have to live here with me and my allies, even if I can grant you occasional, short leaves to visit friends and families. It's an offer rarely made, of extreme value".
The Blue Lady looks at you and the power of her gaze is so strong you feel really tempted to accept her offer.
Bonth anyway speaks first.
"I understand the importance of your offer, but personally I am in the service of Highforge and I cannot pledge my loyalty to anyone else. I can however leave to my companions the freedom to choose what they prefer to do".
Bonth looks at you. Kesh says he will return to Highforge, but Killi and Vane start talking among themselves, tempted to accept the offer of the Blue Lady.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:16 pm

I already have an employer, unfortunately. So, I'm not at the liberty to get another.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:39 pm

I am really tempted, three years is nothing for a dwarf. Alas I also have obligations I cannot forego. At least not before I have discussed with persons involved.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Killi and Vane, the two gnome apprentice wizards, agree to stay with the Blue Lady if she will let them return to Highforge from time to time. She agrees.
"What I can do for you right now is send some blue dragons over the approaching humanoids. We will not attack them but this should be enough to scare and stop them for a while. The red will probably take fly too, but realizing we now know of him, he will not dare a direct intervention. This should buy you some days and put the dragon out of your immediate concern. If your allies will be able to entrench themselves and move an army against the humanoid, you should be able to resist them, even if some small villages will probably be sacked anyway. If we will establish good and working relations with Highforge, we could meet again in the future. You can stay for the night, if you want, or I will call the centaurs to bring you back".
Bonth and Kesh hug and say goodbye to Killi and Vane. The two apprentices salute Dim, recommending to him to explain their choice to the master wizard Teish.
"We should probably return to the centaurs immediately and sleep a few hours at their camp - Bonth says - even if the dragons will buy us some time, the danger is still imminent.."
Last edited by Sturm on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:19 pm

I agree. Time is of essence now.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Scene XV - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 12th night and 13th day, 990 AC)

You leave the underground complex of the Blue Lady and, again guided by the centaur, return to their camp in the middle of the Moor. It is full night when you are back. The centaur lady soon greets you, telling you to rest for a few hours. The runners they have sent to the nearest human villages and to check on the humanoids movement should return by next morning, and therefore you will be able to better choose your course.
The morning of Felmont 13th indeed some centaurs have returned already to report.
"We have advised the humans to escape to the nearest town, probably Guido's Fort for those bordering the Moor - the centaur lady says - we hope they will follow our advice. We can guide you to reach the nearest village by this evening, so you will be able to verify if they are moving or guide them yourselves. The humanoids are moving south. They have almost entered the territories of the chevalls north of the Moor, and the chevalls are retreating to our territories or north to Penhaligon".
While you are speaking with her, there is some agitation in the camp and you soon realize why.
Five blue dragons are flying over you, headed to the north. The majesty and the greatness of the flying creatures is hard to describe and leave you speechless, while all the centaurs likewise look to the sky.
"The Blue Lady has kept her promise - the centaur lady says - this should scary the humanoids for a while, and buy you some more time".

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Scene XV - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th day, 990 AC)

As promised the centaur guide you to the nearest village at the border of the Moor, about 8 miles north east of Guido's Fort. It is almost the sunset when you arrive and the village is still inhabited, with many lights in the center. As you approach, you realize many of the villagers are in the main plaza and are discussing among themselves.
The centaur salutes you and leave, then Bonth speaks to you.
"I fear they are discussing about leaving or not. I think we should try to persuade them to leave as soon as possible!" the gnome says.
Indeed when you reach the village, which is named Ogniste and inhabited mostly by Traladarans, you immediately see this is exactly what is happening. The villagers are so lost in the heat of the arguments which they do not even notice your group until you are near the first house. The village is defended by a palisade only five feet tall, with some spears fixed in the ground. Even after you introduce yourselves and explain what you have learned, many are unwilling to leave their houses, and say they should all stay, reinforce the palisade and fight off any humanoid attack...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:59 am

Lucius suggests we tell them about the dragons backing the humanoid attack, without mentioning the role of the Blue Dragons. Hopefully, this will scare thme into leaving for someplace safer. If this fails, then he suggests to move on.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Scene XV - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th night and 14th day, 990 AC)

Indeed your argument eventually manage to persuade most tìof the village it's better to leave. The inhabitants spend most of the night loading cart and leave the area the next morning. Bonth decides to remain to help, but you leave before them at dawn to reach Guido's Fort as soon as possible.
So far however no traces of humanoids are spotted on the road. During the day Bonth leads Taradain in some scouting around the trail, but you encounter no dangers and spot only normal wild animals in the distance, the largest being some boars and deers.
When you finally see Guido's Fort on the evening of Felmont 14th, you immediately notice the town is under heavy fortification works, in anticipation of a possible attack. While you approach some figures walk toward you and you soon are able to recognize them.
Neim (your gnome companion Bonth sent to warn Guido's Fort), Agnja and Blago (the two apprentice wizards who were sent with Neim), Cullen and Gareth (the human and the dwarf you rescued from the Hill), Ludovico and Dorus (the scout and the warrior of Knights of the Griffon). Neim hugs Kesh while Agnja, with a scold from Blago, warmly greets Dim.
Ludovico and Dorus say they managed to kill the Hobgoblin King, thanks to the help of the two witches. Desmond, Nicola and Sara teleported anyway back to Kelvin, to speak with Desmond's father. The army of Kelvin should arrive here in a couple of days.
Neim, Agnja and Blago say the town is preparing for battle since they warned them, but all has been quiet so far.
You are still telling each others your adventures when you hear a noise, and then people crying from the town.
The red dragon is flying toward you, getting bigger and bigger at each passing instant.
Panic spread among the people. Some run toward the Shutturga river searching for boats, other close themselves in their houses, others run around aimlessly while a few try to rally the warriors on the wooden walls.
You do not have the time to decide anything before the dragon lands, on a small hill about 300 yards (274 meters) east of the town, and roars.
The sound terrifies the townsfolk even more and you too find yourself retreating to the illusory safety of the wall..

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Lucius tries to rally bowmen (or crossbowmen, including the Knights and the Highforge people) to man the walls and fire on the dragon. If he manages to get a reasonable number, he will put them at intervals along the wall. He then tries to find someone in charge and see if the locals have siege weapons -- a ballista or even a scorpio might be helpful against such a large opponent.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”