The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Exploring Highforge (IC thread)

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 pm

The Hill, east of the Shutturga
Scene VII - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 11th, 990 AC)

As agreed you exit the cave to continue the exploration of the outside. As soon as you exit the cave, some of you notice at a short distance among the trees a horned chameleon more than 1 meter long. The creature looks at you with mild interest, then scurries away in the underbrush.
From here the only way is to climb the small cliff to the strange statue above the cave. Some of you take a look at the statue of what could be a reptilian or amphibian humanoid, but it seems unremarkable, except for two small niches on each side. Whatever they once might contain is not there anymore however.
From the statue the trail splits again left and right. Desmond and Bonth randomly determine to go right. There is soon another split, and they decide to go left, and you reach a small bridge on a stream. The bridge was clearly built by someone, and is in a state of good repair. From here it seems there is only one path, going down the Hill in front of you, while it could also be possible to follow the stream right (down) or left (up).
"This path seems to lead down to the other side of the Hill - Bonth says - should we follow it, follow the stream up or down or retrace our steps?"
"Probably we should explore all the paths - Desmond says - we do not know where the falling star may have fallen, so we could follow the path down first".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Lucius agrees, as there's no way to knowork whereally the meteorite fell.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Scene VIII - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 11th, 990 AC)

The path goes down the Hill among the trees for a long time, more than 1 mile, until it arrives into a very large clearing 3000 feet long and 1000 feet large, quite desolate. Clumps of grass growing here are brown and scraggly. Most of the ground is simply bare, cracked dirt, and the forest surrounding it seems especially dark and foreboding.
The clearing is a low point and the terrain rises up both on the left and on the right, making anyone walking the clearing quite visible from the woods.
"If we move on on the clearing we will be easily spotted by anyone hiding in the woods.. Bonth says.
"True, but what we could do? send scouts? magic? Any suggestion is appreciated". Desmond says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Maybe we should circle around the clearing staying in woods...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:08 pm

Lucius agrees with Bofar's suggestion -- better to do a reconnaissance while keeping to the woods before sending a scout down.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Scene IX - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 11th, 990 AC)

"That indeed seems to be the best option we have - Bonth says - me, Taradain and Ludovico should go first, trying to find a safe path, and you all will follow after us".
Desmond agrees and therefore Bonth and the other go, choosing randomly the right side of the clearing.
Covering the 3000 feet of the clearing among the woods is not easy at all, and includes a lot of backtracking.
Anyway about an hour later you are near the end, when Taradain notices something on the trail. Six humanoid forms are trying, poorly, to hide in the woods near what seems a square, massive rock covered by overgrown vegetation.
The humanoids have tan skin, short brown or black hair, a toady face and wear black armors, leather and mail. They look like grown goblins, and Taradain realizes they must be hobgoblins!.
When she point Bonth to them, the gnome and Ludovico decide to turn back and rejoin the others.
"We could walk around them and pass" - Bonth says.
"Probably it's better to avoid a fight until we have more informations - Desmond says - but maybe we could put them to sleep with magic and interrogate them".
"Sleep and charm could do much" Nicola, the wizard of the order says.
The other apprentice wizards, Killi, Vane, Agnja and Blago agree. Agnja has a sleep spell prepared and Killi has a charm. Nicola too has a sleep spell, and he suggest to cast both just to be sure.
"The wizards would have to approach with the scouts and the warriors will stay behind for now - Desmond says - it's more risky than just avoid them, but it could be extremely useful to have such informations. If no one disagree, I would try..", he concludes, looking at you.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:17 pm

That's fine. I suppose your magic will take care of them.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:46 am

Scene X - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 11th, 990 AC)

When the scouts and the wizards approach again the six hobgoblins one of them hears it and points the group to his companions. The hobgoblins prepare to charge, and one starts to run toward the massive, square stone behind.
The magic cast by Agnja and Nicola however stops them before they are able to cover much terrain. Five hobgoblins fall to sleep immediately, while another manages to walk some steps, trying to run away, but Ludovico soon hits him with a stone on the back of the head, putting him down too. Bonth and Ludovico immediately proceed to gag and tie the hobgoblins, and Desmond and the others soon arrive to help.
Then the wizards discuss among themselves. Killi the gnome will cast the charm spell. Nicola suggest to select the smaller and apparently younger hobgoblin of the group, which could be easier to charm.
He and Killi move the selected hobgoblin a bit away from the others, where the gnome casts his spell.
The hobgoblin however seems completely unaffected by it, snarling and apparently menacing his captors despite the gag.
"He resisted the spell, damn - Killi says - I could study it again, but probably he will be able to resist anyway now".
"I have the spell but I haven't studied it - Agnja says - to study it and try it on another hobgoblin I will need at least an hour".
"Stay here for an hour with the captured hobgoblins could be quite risky - Desmond says - but the advantage of charming one of the creature could be enormous, so I think we should take the risk!"
Bonth and most of the others agree, so you move with your prisoner a bit away from the great stone, which Bonth believes is the outer wall of a building overgrown with vegetation.
In the second attempt, Agnja manages to charm a second hobgoblin. He is now very friendly to her, but doesn't speak a passable thyatian. Fortunately she and others of the group speak some goblin, so you can communicate with him with a mixture of the two languages.
At first, Agnja let him complain about other hobgoblins and all those who push him around or he fears, as the Hobgoblin King, the ogres, the human cleric and the human ladies and the Master Below. Then Agnja looks at you, waiting for the questions you may wish to ask him.
"We should think very well about what we could ask him - Bonth says - he could tell us a lot about the inhabitants of the Hill and the falling star. Please suggest any question that comes to your mind".
First of all, Agnja asks about the fallen star. The hobgoblins says some humans and a dwarf found it in the graveyard, but the hobgoblins captured them, and now they will be interrogated before the incoming attack. The star has been given to the Master Below...

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:14 pm

So apparently the Master Below and the hobgoblin king are not the same. Could you ask clarification for this. And who or what is the Master Below.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:23 pm

Lucius suggests to ask how many ogres are there (hoping the hobgoblin can count). Also, names associated with the various people mentioned (the human ladies and the cleric) could be useful. Finally, which tribes live in the area, and what are the relations among them -- knowing who's allied with whom and which tribes are rival could be critical as these people seem to be planning an attack.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Master below thats not ominous at all...
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:57 am

The hobgoblin can count up to a certain point, and he numbers the hobgoblins, goblins, kobolds, bugbears and ogres in the caves over a hundred, with many guardian pets, including wolves, owl bears and undead controlled by the human cleric, whom he names Moray. He also says the human has some guards with him. He seems very proud of the strenght of his tribe, and he also says that "Leptar's Fist", the name of the tribe, will send more reinforcements from the north and Guido's Fort will be conquered, all the inhabitants enslaved. He is initially reticent to speak about the "Master Below", but eventually he says he is a red dragon. He looks around in fear, as if just mentioning the word could be dangerous. About the ladies, he says they are emissaries, and live on a cottage up the Hill, not inside the caves. He mention also the "ancients", who refuse to bow to the Hobgoblin King. But he has already captured some, and he will soon storm their caves and enslave them all.
"These are not good news", Bonth says later among you.
"Indeed, but if they have prisoners we should try to release them", Desmond says.
"It would be better to warn immediately Guido's Fort of the incoming attack", Bonth says.
"If we send someone we will weaken our group, and we may need all our strenght to free the prisoners. We should at least ask the hobgoblin where they are kept and see if it possible to free them, then run back to Guido's Fort", Desmond says.
"I would exclude we can storm the caves. A few of us could infiltrate the complex to free the prisoners and know more about the enemies, but we would need a very good plan. The rest should return to Guido's Fort immediately to warn them", Bonth says.
"I doubt Guido's Fort has enough men to withstand an attack which could include a dragon, even if we warn them. I can inform my father, however, we have a scroll of communication for such cases. Still our duty is to help the captured people if we can", Desmond says.
"I am inclined to help in the rescue, the dwarf could well be a citizen of Highforge. Yet the four apprentice wizards did not sign for this and Dim, Lucius, Bofar and Taradain neither. They are newcomers to Highforge, so I will leave them free to decide what risk they wish to take. Do you want to come with us to rescue the prisoners or do you prefer to run back to warn Guido's Fort? Or if you have other ideas or suggestions, please speak freely..", Bonth says, looking at you.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Let's first hear where the prisoners are kept. Then we can make an informed decision.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:47 pm

I agree with Lucius. We need more information.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:17 pm

The hobgoblin say the "ancient ones" are kept in the building above ground, while the humans and the dwarves are in the first level below ground...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:38 pm

I think we need to send someone to Guido's Fort. The inhabitants need to withdraw to Kelvin before they are overrun. Also, it would be unwise to risk to have you captured. That said, we could try a raid to free these ancients... They may be useful allies.

(You refers to Desmond, obviously )

Cedric
Gnoll

Post by Cedric » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:44 am

"I agree: we need to warn swiftly Guido's Fort of the magnitude of the menace. An hundred humanoids, evil clerics and maybe magicians, and a dragon: this requires a very strong force to be managed, and they need early warning and reinforcements.
For the rescue mission: if it develops above the ground (these "ancient ones..."), I think we can dare a raid...
", says Dim.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

"I have a special item that can teleport me back to Kelvin. This is probably the fastest way to warn my father about the danger. However the item may also allow someone to try to free the prisoners, something I think we Knights of the Griffon are obliged to do. Therefore I will give the item to Ludovico. He and Sara can become invisible, so they could have the best chance to free the prisoners in the first level. We will ask the hobgoblin to describe any escape route they may need down. The rest of us will try to free the "ancient ones", whatever they may be. They could be useful allies if they are enemies of the Hobgoblin King. But your group, Bonth, should decide if they want to come with us or fo to Guido's Fort immediately", Desmond says.
Bonth then speaks to you, Agnja, Blago and the four gnomes in gnomish.
"I am very interested in these ancient ones and would like to aid Desmond and his knights in freeing them. I also have a good idea that could make the matter relatively easy. But also warning Guido's Fort is important, so a first group of us should return there right now. I will let you choose if you want to come with me or go and warn the town".
Neim and Kesh vote for staying and freeing the ancient ones. Killi too. Vane votes for going back immediately, and Agnja and Blago too.
(Now Dim will feel a bit torn between staying and going with Agnja).

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm

Three of us going back are enough. I'm coming with you, says Lucius in his broken dwarven/gnomish.
Last edited by agathokles on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:49 pm

I will stay here.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Scene XI - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 11th, 990 AC)

Then you decide to split into three groups. Agnja, Blago have decided to return to Guido's Fort, and Bonth sends also Neim with them. Ludovico, Nicola and Sara, after talking a while with the charmed hobgoblin, will try to rescue the prisoners.
The rest of you, including Desmond, Dorus, Bonth, Killi, Vane, Kesh and you four, will try to free the "ancient ones".
To accomplish this, Bonth has a plan he devised after asking many questions to the hobgoblin. The charmed hobgoblin has told you that there are 23 more guards above ground, in what once was a human monastery. The hobgoblin will return to them, telling them that his five comrades have been put to sleep by you, and he needs help to capture you. He thinks at least 16 of them will be sent to pursue you, and only 6 hobgoblins and a ogre will remain to guard the ancient ones and the stairs down.
"We will put them all to sleep, silently, and then some will proceed to free the ancient ones, while the rest will go down secretly to free the other captives. If all goes well, they will come back up with the prisoners. It is also possible we will be able to escape through some tunnels the hobgoblin says can be accessed easily from the first level below ground. We will have to see depending on the circumstances", Bonth says.
Desmond decides to leave the five captured hobgoblins tied up but alive. Killing them would not be an honorable action, and could also anticipate the attack on Guido's Fort.
You proceed with Bonth's plan. Approaching the structure covered by vegetation, you realize it is indeed a wall, with a stone portal representing some kind of demon. "An image of the evil god Leptar, probably", Desmond says.
The hobgoblins does as requested, and shortly after he and a band of 15 goblins and 1 ogre exit the portal and go down the path. You come out your hideout in the woods and enter the monastery. There was once a great garden and a small lake, but now bushes and small trees have grown everywhere. As Bonth learned from the charmed hobgoblin, you approach the main structure, a building decorated with statues of various demons, at least 200 feet wide and 60 feet tall.
Statues of Leptar also support the 20-foot high ceiling with their heads in the big room 120x80 feet. Apparently there is only a door on the left which lead to the ancient ones prison, probably still guarded by at least an ogre. But the hobgoblin also said that there are two secret passages on the far wall, from where probably the 6 hobgoblins guarding the passage down may come, if they hear noises. They may also have giant rats as pets.
"Now the basic strategy is simple. We open the door and try to bring the ogre down as quickly and silently as possible. Kesh could be able to do this quickly with a spell but should he fails me, Desmond and Dorus will take care of him. You, Killi and Vane will instead deal with the hobgoblins and the rats. Killi has a sleep spell, and Vane has an entangle spell which should be very useful. Dim has a light spell, which should disturb the eyes of the hobgoblins. Bofar, Lucius and Taradain should try to stun as quickly as possible any enemy which escapes the spells. Questions, objections?" Bonth asks.
Last edited by Sturm on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:53 pm

"Seems a bit late for objections," grins Lucius, "Let's do it!"

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Scene XII - 5th month (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 11th, 990 AC)

You open the door and indeed a big ogre 10 feet tall and dressed with a bear skin comes out almost immediately. Kesh chants something and the ogree freeze for just a moment, but soon he begins to scream in rage and attacks!
Bonth and Desmond however try to hit him in the head, Bonth with a sling, Desmond with his sword. Both succeed, and the ogre staggers and falls down with a groan. Immediately they proceed in tying him up as best as possible.
While they are doing it, about 10 giant rats enter the big room, quickly followed by 6 heavily armed hobgoblins. One of them has a horn, which he attempts to blow, but Kesh chant something else and an eerie silence fall on you and the hobgoblins. The enemies do not really have the time to be fully surprised by it, because the light spell from Dim temporarily blinds them and the rats, while the other two spells from the gnome wizards Killi and Vane immobilize or put to sleep 3 hobgoblins and six rats.
Three hobgoblins and 4 rats are still moving however, even if confused. Now Lucius, Bofar and Taradain can act, while Bonth, Desmond and Dorus also are ready to intervene after finishing tying up the ogre.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Bofar tries to hit the closest hobgoblin so that it is only stunned.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Lucius attacks the nearest rat with a sword swing.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”