[The Crown of Stars, a Spelljammer PBP] Recruitment Thread

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

[The Crown of Stars, a Spelljammer PBP] Recruitment Thread

Postby InSearchofGames » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:48 pm

An omen has come true; a bleak storm whose great eye covers the whole of the world ocean. It ravages the plains and the forests, uprooting trees and rocks in its devestation. The only hope lies in the legend of the Crown of Stars, a mystical key to another world, the only hope for salvation from a doomed and dying world.

The quest has begun...but agents of chaos, knights and beasts bound in servitude to the dire storm, are searching for the crown as well.

An adventure for 3rd-5th level characters. Preferably 2E but I can adapt to you whatever your preference.
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Re: [The Crown of Stars, a Spelljammer PBP] Recruitment Thre

Postby Sturm » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:54 am

Interested. I've played AD&D 2ed in the past but has been some years since I read the rules. In general I prefer if the DM handles them and the rolls, but I can do everything myself if necessary.
I have only a limited knowledge of Spelljmmer as a setting, beyond some basics, so probably it would be best if I could play a groundling PC.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby InSearchofGames » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 pm

That's great actually. Perfect for what's planned. Welcome aboard!
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby willpell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:18 am

Well, I'm not really big on Spelljammer, but you're welcome to try and persuade me it's cool....I've found it's a lot easier to appreciate any game system by, y'know, actually playing it.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby GMWestermeyer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm interested, I think. I'm a long time 2e player. I DM a lot of PBEM games, but haven't yet tried play by post on a forum.

I have a 4th level Wemic Fighter (Wilderness protector kit) I'd love to play again. He does have some minor Spelljammer knowledge, and was started on Toril (he is from Chult).
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Looking to game again, but my 2E knowledge is rather rusty. I have the necessary books and Spelljammer boxed set though.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 am

interesting indeed

I do have a Spelljamming Character handy I can bring in

it's from my Homebrewed Oriental Adventures realm <the Empire of Kozakura>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Orc

Postby willpell » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:39 am

We have yet to hear back from the DM with any confirmation that the game is actually happening. But if it does, I'll probably play a Psion (or possibly an Ardent, but Psion should probably happen first). Probably not from any of the canonical worlds, though I could be talked into being from Dark Sun, as long as I don't ever have to be IN Dark Sun. I love Eberron, but am not especially fond of the part of it that focuses on Psionics, but if the DM refuses to allow those, then I could play a more normal class if I got to be one of the Eberron races (changeling, shifter, or warforged).
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:55 am

If we ending up playing 3E, I'd love to try my hand at an Elven Favored Soul or a Rilkan Soulborn (Magic of Incarnum). Either will be a first for me.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:If we ending up playing 3E, I'd love to try my hand at an Elven Favored Soul or a Rilkan Soulborn (Magic of Incarnum). Either will be a first for me.

If you get Paul Westermeyer to play a 3rd Edition D&D game, I'll dye my armpit hair purple! :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:If you get Paul Westermeyer to play a 3rd Edition D&D game, I'll dye my armpit hair purple! :lol:

LMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 am

while no particular edition was noted in the title
most seem to lean for 2nd Ed. for which I host most books and Spelljammer box set

under 3.x = I'm out as I do not own anything in third edition and having to rely on someone else for specific items regarding
my character is a pain

not sure if a level requirement was set in the first posting but my current character is 1st level Elf War Wizard <from the complete book of Elves>
yet can if needed be leveled to meet play requirements
he's currently running in Robert Blezard's Almagra Kingdom of Vorcia PbP and once done there can transfer over.
Lord Sheriff Takari
Orc

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 am

Big Mac wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:If we ending up playing 3E, I'd love to try my hand at an Elven Favored Soul or a Rilkan Soulborn (Magic of Incarnum). Either will be a first for me.

If you get Paul Westermeyer to play a 3rd Edition D&D game, I'll dye my armpit hair purple! :lol:

Not even for that, sorry. :)
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby willpell » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Still waiting to hear back from ISO Games. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to do a 3E version of this. (Might be tough, given that I'm pretty sure SJ was never formally converted.)
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:44 pm

willpell wrote:Might be tough, given that I'm pretty sure SJ was never formally converted.

Correct. The only thing that came close was in Dungeon #92/Polyhedron # 151 article "Shadow of the Spider Moon".
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby willpell » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 am

Does anyone know how 2E's version of Psionics compare with the 3E rules? I think the Expanded Psionics Handbook is probably the best single book D&D has ever produced, and I'm super interested in taking a character built this way and seeing him/her/it/them in actual play; from what I've heard, though, the only thing in 2E's favor is that the Soulknife was slaughtered in the conversion, and frankly even a top-notch version of Soulknife would only be a halfway decent class, compared to the magnificence of the Psion and Psychic Warrior (and the Ardent class from its spin-off book, the otherwise crappy Complete Psionics).
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:15 am

the Complete Book of Psionicists <brown splatbook> is the most up to date source of information for 2nd Ed. Psions to use
Psionic's from the 1st Ed. are also available but may lack the detailed effects found in the Splatbook

generally
I consider 2nd Ed. AD&D and all older products <OD&D, 1st Ed. AD&D> to be more fun

I have played several 3.x games but find the two systems are nowhere near as compatible as some may say they could be
having not played a 3.x Psion I can't say which is in fact better

as for the third Ed. version of Spelljammer itself

to my knowledge
Spelljammer was never converted to 3.x officially
although many homebrews do exist, many of which retained the flavor of the original Spelljammer
finding such info could take some effort but it's worth looking

the 4th Ed version is nothing compared to the original, having the feel it was added as an afterthought and almost no real thought put into it <sad really>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 pm

<delurk />
Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:the Complete Book of Psionicists <brown splatbook> is the most up to date source of information for 2nd Ed. Psions to use
Psionic's from the 1st Ed. are also available but may lack the detailed effects found in the Splatbook

generally
I consider 2nd Ed. AD&D and all older products <OD&D, 1st Ed. AD&D> to be more fun

The names of the various psionics books in different editions of D&D are quite similar. The 2e version is called PHBR5 The Complete Psionics Handbook, if anyone needs to buy a copy. (It's going quite cheap on Amazon US at the moment. You can actually get a second-hand dead tree copy for less than the price of the PDF on DMs Guild.)

Lord Sheriff Takari wrote:I have played several 3.x games but find the two systems are nowhere near as compatible as some may say they could be
having not played a 3.x Psion I can't say which is in fact better

as for the third Ed. version of Spelljammer itself

to my knowledge
Spelljammer was never converted to 3.x officially
although many homebrews do exist, many of which retained the flavor of the original Spelljammer
finding such info could take some effort but it's worth looking

There actually was a Spelljammer conversion, by Paizo, called Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon. It's pretty good (considering how few pages Andy Collins had to fit it into) but it's not the original campaign setting. Instead it is a new solar system (not even documented out to the crystal sphere) with the neogi swapped out for drow, to save the space required to write up the neogi and allow other things to be crammed in. (There is no subforum for the Shadow of the Spider Moon campaign setting at The Piazza...yet.)

I believe that InSearchOfGames wants to use 2nd Edition, so there is probably not much in Shadow of the Spider Moon that would be useful for The Crown of Stars. :)
<lurk />
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:There actually was a Spelljammer conversion, by Paizo, called Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon. ...

I did mention that a few posts upthread.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby GMWestermeyer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:There actually was a Spelljammer conversion, by Paizo, called Spelljammer: Shadow of the Spider Moon. It's pretty good (considering how few pages Andy Collins had to fit it into) but it's not the original campaign setting.

Really not good at all, IMO. A Spelljammer conversion by and for people who don't like Spelljammer.

More indepth review I wrote at the time, http://lost.spelljammer.org/SpiderMoon/review.html.
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:19 pm

just waiting on the DM to call in and post a start up
Lord Sheriff Takari
Orc

Postby InSearchofGames » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Oh wow, hadn't seen much activity here so I stopped checking...glad I stopped back in! I will follow up by tomorrow to get the ball rolling! Thanks for the interest!
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby willpell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 pm

I have a very neat character concept for my Psion. I hope the game will be able to accommodate me, despite my lack of familiarity with SJ or 2E.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby InSearchofGames » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Can definitely accommodate a Psion; should be no issue to have you use 3e rules either. Do you want to make rolls or want me to make rolls in order to speed up okay?
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby willpell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 pm

I have not yet come up with a replacement for Invisible Castle, so you should probably roll.

How are we handling Ability scores? I'll start working on the character, but I'll need to know if we're rolling stats or doing point-buy, and what exact system we use in either case.
willpell
White Dragon

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe