[The Crown of Stars, a Spelljammer PBP] Recruitment Thread

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: [The Crown of Stars, a Spelljammer PBP] Recruitment Thre

Postby InSearchofGames » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 am

I prefer 4d6, drop lowest, assign in any order. I should be able to run the adventure as a 2e game and handle you playing as a 3e game, if that makes sense and suits your needs...I'm pretty versatile that way. I've been successful in the past doing it like that.
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby GMWestermeyer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:21 am

I'm bowing out, sorry.
GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Postby Sturm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 am

InSearchofGames wrote:I prefer 4d6, drop lowest, assign in any order..

Noted, I can prepare a PC with Ad&d 2ed and this method by monday. If possible I'd like to be a groundling from Mystara, or also FR if you prefer..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby willpell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:32 pm

OK, I'll go home and roll dice, and tomorrow I'll tell you what I came up with, and we'll go from there.

Shall I build the character at level 1, or higher?

GMWestermeyer wrote:I'm bowing out, sorry.

Is this related to the GM's attempt to accomodate me playing 3E? He did say the game would be mostly 2E....
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm

willpell wrote:OK, I'll go home and roll dice, and tomorrow I'll tell you what I came up with, and we'll go from there.

Shall I build the character at level 1, or higher?

Is this related to the GM's attempt to accomodate me playing 3E? He did say the game would be mostly 2E....

I did warn you lot that Paul wouldn't play in a 3e game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Rolled up my stats, and I shit you not - my second roll was a 7, and I said to myself "Well, that's disappointing"; after that, I rolled triple 6es, then 6-5-5, and then 6-6-5 (in all cases there was one other die which got dropped, so it's not quite as insane as getting these results on 3d6). The first and last rolls totalled 13, but otherwise...I don't *think* I did anything "wrong" while rolling, so either I'm secretly a chaos sorcerer without realizing it, or this really was just a phenomenal run of luck.

So, with stats like these (subject potentially to stat modifiers, of course), I could just play a psionicist with extremely high Dexterity and Constitution, since every character wants as much of those things as possible; a single-class Dwarf Psion who, after tossing a couple +1s into Constitution which became retroactive, literally got 10 Hit Points off each HD, while also having the human maximum of INT from first level on, would be pretty impressive, especially when he also has high Initiative and high naked AC. But doing this wouldn't be that different from just playing a Psychic Warrior with a lot of Feats for bonus PP, or even just taking multiple Toughness-type feats along with Improved Initiative.

So I'm considering whether this freakish roll should be my cue to play something that is normally completely impossible - a character who multiclasses all three psionic classes from the XPH (excluding the Soulknife, obviously). This is probably pure suicide, since a character who goes Psion 2 / PsyWar 2 / Wilder 2 is a 6th-level character and can still only use 1st-level powers; even if the character just "dips" one level each in a couple of these classes and otherwise stays single-classed, it's still not great, especially since the powers of the dip classes remain forever stuck at level 1. Still, the concept is interesting, and especially jives with the character I'm thinking of playing (although I'm also reconsidering whether I should play said character, given that it has connections to a line of thinking which the moderation team has suggested I avoid on this forum).

Said character would want the exclusive powers of either an Egoist or a Telepath, but also is a very physical and emotional individual, not the raw intellectual that is most psions; s/he would certainly have reasons to want both the surging insanity of a Wilder and the impactful body transformations of a PsyWar, in addition to telepathy powers. I would probably need to look at several possible builds before I knew what I want to do, and substantial DM input would be required. I should perhaps just transplant these stats to some more ordinary character, given my unfamiliarity with both the setting and the rules, in order to avoid causing any headaches.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Hate to burst your bubble, Willpell, but the mechanics are AD&D 2E.

I am going to have to bow out as well. Homeowner headaches are in rare form of late. The dishwasher is spewing funky smelling garbage disposal water...woke up to a bit of a flood in the kitchen and I have been dealing with that for the last three hours.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby willpell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:I am going to have to bow out as well. Homeowner headaches are in rare form of late. The dishwasher is spewing funky smelling garbage disposal water...woke up to a bit of a flood in the kitchen and I have been dealing with that for the last three hours.

That sucks! My house's dishwater died years ago, and has been nothing but a hole under the kitchen countertops ever since (we eventually put a little furnace in there to keep the sink-pipes from freezing. I do not recommend this! Hope you're able to get stuff sorted out.

Now that you know I'm not being a snarkosaurus...

The better angels of my nature wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, Willpell, but the mechanics are AD&D 2E.

:evil: comment self-stifled

InSearchofGames wrote:I prefer 4d6, drop lowest, assign in any order. I should be able to run the adventure as a 2e game and handle you playing as a 3e game, if that makes sense and suits your needs...I'm pretty versatile that way. I've been successful in the past doing it like that.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 am

Well I'm still available to play and would have a PC almost ready, built with AD&D 2ed but I do not really care about rules and would prefer the DM to take care of most of them.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm

willpell wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:I am going to have to bow out as well. Homeowner headaches are in rare form of late. The dishwasher is spewing funky smelling garbage disposal water...woke up to a bit of a flood in the kitchen and I have been dealing with that for the last three hours.

That sucks! My house's dishwater died years ago, and has been nothing but a hole under the kitchen countertops ever since (we eventually put a little furnace in there to keep the sink-pipes from freezing. I do not recommend this! Hope you're able to get stuff sorted out.
Thanks.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby InSearchofGames » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:56 am

Sorry everyone, fell behind myself. No worries on those bowing out...Inwish everyone the best, maybe you can come back in the future. I'm going to try to make this a real game starting up this weekend, so hopefully...even if it's just one or two players to start...
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby GMWestermeyer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:58 am

willpell wrote:

No, not at all. :) I just realized it would be taking on more than I handle. I would like to get my PBEM games back up rather than me trying to play here. Sorry!
GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Postby Sturm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 am

InSearchofGames wrote:Sorry everyone, fell behind myself. No worries on those bowing out...Inwish everyone the best, maybe you can come back in the future. I'm going to try to make this a real game starting up this weekend, so hopefully...even if it's just one or two players to start...

Noted, I'm still here. PCs will be level 1? This was asked above also by Willpell. I suppose you will tell us how they will reach outer space?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby InSearchofGames » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:50 am

Yes, 1st level to start...yeah, it's a very non-spelljammer kind of beginning, but I wanted people to know up front the weird sort of gameplay to expect (eventually).

Do people host their characters here? Preferably so': like characters emailed to me at thesecretdm@gmail.com, but I'm fine with the character details being hosted somewhere else if there is already a system in place for that.

I'I also used to setting up a lot of various threads on forums like rpol.net, but I don't want to crowd the boards here with "setting note" threads if there are better ways to share information. Sorry; not new to play-by-post gaming, but new to playing via a forum such as this.
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby Sturm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 am

I have a Play By Post in this subforum (the Karameikos one) and I simply did an Out of Character thread and the In Character threads as needed, as others did here before. I compiled the Player's sheet in Google drive and shared the link with each player.
The sheet also includes a space for solo playing if needed.
I had simply google docs file but later one of my player did a nice google sheet (for BECMI D&D, but if you want to look at it, I could send it to you).
I already did my character so I can send it in any format you prefer.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 pm

InSearchofGames wrote:Yes, 1st level to start...yeah, it's a very non-spelljammer kind of beginning, but I wanted people to know up front the weird sort of gameplay to expect (eventually).

Do people host their characters here? Preferably so': like characters emailed to me at thesecretdm@gmail.com, but I'm fine with the character details being hosted somewhere else if there is already a system in place for that.

I'I also used to setting up a lot of various threads on forums like rpol.net, but I don't want to crowd the boards here with "setting note" threads if there are better ways to share information. Sorry; not new to play-by-post gaming, but new to playing via a forum such as this.

Make as many topics as you need to run your game in this forum. :)

But please use a forum tag.

I would suggest that you modify your tag ("[The Crown of Stars, a Spelljammer PBP]") as it is going to eat up too much of the topic title and leave you a lot less characters to work with.

You can probably get away without "The" and you probably don't need "a Spelljammer PBP" within the tag.

Other people around here seem to have an (OOC) topic for out of character stuff and an (IC) topic for in character stuff. They also seem to have a separate recruitment topic (you have this, of course) so it looks like you probably need at least three topics.

If you want to make campaign documentation, without bumping topics in this forum (that might get in the way of the other active campigns) you could probably post over in the Homebrew Worlds forum. You could probably also start topics in the main Spelljammer forum, but bear in mind that if you are doing fanon stuff and you don't explain any changes you are making to the SJ universe, people might try to help you by letting you know that you have an incorrect detail. Just add some sort of statement in your OP there, and you should be fine. (And if you use the same forum tag in any topics you create anywhere on The Piazza, a search for "Crown of Stars" will make all of them show up, regardless of where they are.) :)

BTW: When you do get going, and have something to report, Wildspace: The Spelljammer Fanzine might be interested in running a story about your game. :)

I'll go back to lurk mode now.

Good luck with your game!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:46 pm

I recommend that the game name be compressed to [StarCrown] or the like, for convenience.

So, I suppose I ought to get a character made, hey? I'm still trying to decide whether I should go ahead with my original character concept, which is potentially controversial, and I've gotten in trouble for discussing this issue before, *particularly* with reference to the Spelljammer community. (PM me if you want that explained less vaguely.) If wishing to err on the side of caution, I can play a more standard psionicist, but that'll leave me needing to figure out some concept beyond "user of psionics from X race and Y class".
willpell
White Dragon

Postby InSearchofGames » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 am

I sent emails out; contact me at thesecretdm@gmail.com if you didn't receive an email.
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby InSearchofGames » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:41 am

Sorry for the late response!

I've received two characters so far, which is fine for me to start with. Before I got started though, I just wanted to make sure everyone who is interested in submitting a character has done so. (Remember, email me your character at thesecretdm@gmail.com)

Thanks again everyone for your patience, I look forward to getting this "off the ground"!
InSearchofGames
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 am

InSearchofGames wrote:I've received two characters so far, which is fine for me to start with. Before I got started though, I just wanted to make sure everyone who is interested in submitting a character has done so. (Remember, email me your character at thesecretdm@gmail.com)

Do you need some signal boost? :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Mine will be forthcoming shortly.
willpell
White Dragon

Previous

Return to The Crystal Globe