The Karameikos PbP New Heroes and Villains (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

The Karameikos PbP New Heroes and Villains (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene I - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 6th day, 992 AC)

Two years have passed in Karameikos and in your life.
In the spring and the summer of 990 AC, you faced the Iron Ring in Specularum, went to Highforge, then faced a dragon and humanoids in Guido's Fort. You met famous people, from Fortunato and Philip Vorloi to Sherlane Halaran and Retameron Antonic, to Desmond Kelvin II and many others. You have lost companions, as the disappeared Gharis and Tiberius. You have grown up in experiences and capabilities.

Now two years have passed while you continued your training in Highforge, the city of gnomes and dwarves. You have come to appreciate much the safe and tranquil place in a nation where chaos and dangers seems everywhere. 990 AC has been a year of racial violence in Specularum, Iron Ring attacks in the country and a very much contensted obligation for Traladarans to not bear arms.
991 AC was not much better. Von Hendriks attacked the Five Shires again, and was defeated again. Halfling pirates attacked Karameikos ships several times in retailation. Minister of State Krollan Kallergan was assasinated in Specularum, blame was placed either on the Iron Ring or the Veiled Society. Around Radlebb and the west many Traladaran villages were attacked by Thyatians, creating a virtual civil war in the region. While the west was in chaos, in the north and the east the efforts of Torenescu, Vorloi, Halaran, Kelvin and Penhaligon, and also other minor nobles as the Lutescu in the east, obtain substantial victories against the Iron Ring and its humanoid allies, with many arrests and executions.
In 992 AC The Shires attacked Fort Doom directly, burning ships and sacking several villages on the coast, targeting only Thyatian soldiers and properties. Duke Stephan was forced to intimate his cousin to cease any attack against the Shires to avoid a full scale war. The Black Eagle seems to have complied, for now.

You also hear some news from the rest of the world, more piracy in the Sea of Dread involving Thyatians, Ierendians, Minrothaddans, Halfling and Karameikos, with the latter three nations accusing the first two of abetting slavers. An almost open war is in progress between Thyatis and Alphatia in the Isle of Dawn, Norwold and the Heldann territories.

Lucius is 20 years old now, he speaks a good dwarvish and has improved his abilities (add 1 basic weapon mastery and 2 combat maneveurs). He now has his own, small rented house in Highforge. He has been twice back in Specularum (as guard of the gnomish caravan) to meet his family, which is doing well, and greet Mikel and Fortunato Vorloi, with whom he is in contact through the wool merchant of Highforge, Leandrus. His family too has come once to Highforge, to visit him. He has some casual friends among the humans which dwell in Highforge and a very casual relationship with a human wizardess of Thyatian origin, Sara. He now owns a small treasure of 126 gold coins (a part of which he could have sent to his family, if he wishes) and a very beatiful longsword +1 sent by Desmond Kelvin I. In the last two years, he has served often as a guard and so Bofar, Karto and Bonth are probably the people he spend more time with. He has also fight several humanoids and mosters incursion in the region, but nothing bigger than a wyvern, of which he now has a stuffed head.

Bofar is 57 years old now and engaged to Klisa, but both agrees they do not want marriage and children quite yet. Nevertheless, grandmother is happy. He is also a good weaponsmith now and owns 160 gold coins and a Hammer +1 donated by Desmond Kelvin. He has served mostly as a guard for the city and caravans and he now really feels he is a part of the community. He knows almost everyone and has good relations with many, but his closest friends are still Bonth, the dwarf guard Karto, Lucius, Taradain and Dim, plus the extended family, the dwarven smith Turom, the dwarven clerics of Kagyar Hrulin and Dwar and the gnome cleric Kesh. He has also developed a sort of friendship with Catrina, the Torenescu contact in town. He writes regularly to Cristoph Torenescu and to Klist, the dwarven cleric in Specularum. Surprisingly enough, he has also received a conciliatory letter from Stephanos Torenescu, inviting him back to Specularum. Stephanos apparently has distinguished himself in fights against the Iron Ring, and this must have improved his personality. Bofar however is happy in Highforge for now. (He can also add in the sheet 2 weapons proficiency and one combat maneveur, and one more language).

Dim is now 22 years old and has plenty of work, both as smith and as wizard, in the Guild of Artificiers. He now owns 179 gold coins and a Mace +1, and has his own rented house too. He has learned goblin and other things (you can add to the sheet 1 combat maneuver, 1 skill, 4 known cantrips, 4 first level spells and 3 second level spells). He has been once in Specularum and Marilenev twice to visit friends and family. His brother Marcel is 20 now and has become a successful trader, so the family is not poor as it once was. Marcel has married a local girl in Marilenev last month, and Dimitri attended. The other brother, Ioan, is now 17 years old and Sheared, so Dim just know he should be in eastern Karameikos.
The rest of Dim's personal life is not so great. His former teacher, the gnome wizard Teish, died in the north two years ago during the mission to retrieve the stone giants egg, and Agnja and Blago have left to return to their home village. Dim has much to do in Highforge, but he is thinking about going there to ask Agnja to return to Highforge with him. Dim's teacher is now the gnome Artificier Gila.

Taradain is 15 years old now and has become a beautiful young woman with a leather armor +1 and 324 gold coin. She has a private apartment in the Music House, supplied by her gnome friend Lasa, who has almost adopter her. She has written often to Fortunato and Lucia Vorloi, Carla and Adriana in Specularum, who keep on fighting the Iron Ring, while in Highforge her best friends are still the halfling couple, Milo and Talla, and the gnome bard Lasa, but not just them. She has indeed a sort of pack formed by her, the young gnome Gnumsh, a human boy named Andrei, a human girl named Serena and a female gnome named Shala. With them Taradain mostly explores Highforge or tries odd gnomish inventions, as the ones developed by Gnumsh's parents. Andrei has clearly a crush on her, but both are too shy to do something about it, for now. (You can add 2 skills, 1 weapon knowledge and 1 combat maneuver or feat)

(That's all for now, leave comments and questions as you wish, then we will continue next week!)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP New Heroes and Villains (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene I - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 7th day, 992 AC)

One sunny day in Highforge, Bonth calls you for a chat.
"The King has a lot of missions to assign to qualified and trusty people, and me and you apparently are considered as such. Probably Karto, Kesh, Milo and Talla would be with us too. Almost all these missions are confidential, some are extremely so, but I will tell you what I know and let you choose what you would prefer to do.
Here is the list:
- There are persistent rumors of a lost city north of Threshold. The Council and Baron Sherlane want to send people there.
- An isolated group of elves we consider allies is in danger and needs our help.
- The cult of the Dark Triad is still a menace, and we may have found a possible hideout.
- Retameron Antonic is still hunting Skarda, and the Council is willing to help him.
- Reports say the Iron Ring is recruiting vampires and werewolves to get back after its defeats.
- Kelvin had some success against the Ring and humanoids, but Desmond has invited us there several times already.
- There is apparently a zombie problem in some villages to the north.
- There is a possible mission against another Iron Ring hideout.
- Highforge as agreed to help Penhaligon against nearby orcs. This may be connected to the elves in danger I mentioned before.
All the above could take us far from Highforge, but probably still in Karameikos. However we have three other missions which are very secret, that could take us quite far away.
All three involve helping gnomes or dwarves in foreign places. I can only tell you one is to the south, one is down, and one is up. Before I ask the others their opinions, I'd like to know your preferences, if you have one"
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am

The Cult of Dark Triad is an abomination that has to be wiped out.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 pm

"I agree. Not that exploring lost cities would not be interesting, mind you."
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Cedric » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 pm

"Lost city in the north? Uhm, sounds very interesting... but to me it is also a "Go" the hunt for the Cult: it's an evil and dangerous force to be disbanded", says Dim, thinking about it.
Cedric
Gnoll

Postby Dervish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:14 am

"Anything that cripples the iron ring is a good mission in my opinion, Do we know if the Dark triad and the orcs you mentioned are working in concert with the Iron Ring?" taradain asks .
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 am

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene I - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 7th day, 992 AC)

"Yes we are pretty sure they are working with the Iron Ring indeed - Bonth replies - as I see there is a consensus about this, I will ask the others too and let you know".
Later, Bonth returns with more informations and details. "The others agree too. The information is solid as it comes directly from Killi and Vane, our former companions who stayed with the Blue Lady, hence from the blue dragon herself. We will take also Karto, Kesh, Milo and Talla, and Gila, Dim's new teacher. We may also receive some help from Threshold and Kelvin, or Penhaligon, as the supposed sanctuary should be north of us, between Threshold and Penhaligon. Then all is settled, ready to depart two days from now!"

[I will now try to complete your BECMI sheets so you may decide how much equipment you want to take with you. Each of you will have a horse, so you can potentially carry a lot of weight, but obviously the horse has to be taken care of and could be lost. Note that now you can all afford better armor, if you want. A scale mail cost about 30 gp, but with the connections of Dim and Bofar you can find a very good one for 25. 35 gp for chain mail, 45 for banded, 55 for plate, 220 for a suit armor. The encumbrance will rise however, slowing and hampering your movement. Running away with plate is quite difficult, with full suit impossible. You can also find, through Dim's connections, a ring of protection +1 or other items of protection (such as fire, ice, ESP and others) and several magical items in general, for less than 100 gp. Just tell me what you would like to find and I will tell you if it is available and its cost.
A further note on armor: despite this would not be included in BECMI rules, I will take into account the presence of armor in combat and the movements your PC can do. This could become quite important when battling big or huge opponents. If you wear heavy armor, dodging a blow could become almost impossible and a blow from a giant could crush you even if you wear armor. In BECMI classic rules, more armor is always more convenient than less armor, but I will take a more balanced approach. More armor will allow your PC to take more hits without be seriously wounded, but less armor will allow you to avoid more hits. I will explain in detail this house rule in the OOC thread, check it. For Taradain and Dim anyway less armor is almost mandatory, but for Bofar and Lucius we can say you should choose between a classic D&D "tank" warrior or a more mobile swordsman.
Bottom line, tell me if you buy further equipment before we leave :) ]
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Lucius already has chainmail and shield, which seems a balanced approach.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby hihama » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Bofar will now buy a scale mail with metal helmet and a protection ring.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene I - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 9th day, 992 AC)

Two days later, you are ready to leave Highforge to the north. Bonth, Karto, Kesh, Mino, Talla and Gila are with you. Kesh, the gnome cleric, is happy to be with you again. "Neim sends his greetings, but he is stable in Mirdal now", Kesh says.
(Neim was the gnome crossbowmen who travelled often with you two years ago, he is now living in Mirdal and about to marry Jhyris, the female gnome soldier you met there and who led you to meet the harpies).
Gila is not alone, as the gnome female artificier and wizard has an automaton with her, a mechanical construct in the shape of a metallic gnome. She says to call him "Gawfc, or gnome automaton with fighting capabilities".
All of you have horses or ponies, except Gawfc. Gila says he can run as quick as the ponies, should he need to.
In truth the first day of the trip, to Motahur, is thorugh a steep trail where you often have to led the horse.
That evening, Dim has the chance to speak with Agnja, which is now living here again with her parents. Dim ask her to come with you, and she accept. Soon after, at dinner, Blago shows up angry, telling Dim he is going to endanger Agnja, and assuring him he will pay if something happens to her. Eventually Bonth is able to calm Blago and he goes away.
Bonth speaks to the elders of the village, who say that the situation in the north has indeed worsened, and you can get more informations in Dendwal, where you should arrive tomorrow.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Bofar is very interested about Gawfc and will discuss with Gila about it. He will ask questions about how was it made, what can it do and so on.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 am

Eveskyr (Highforge)

Gila explains Gawfc has mechanical joints and mechanical weapons (to shoot darts) but is animated by a sort of enchanted "brain". Gila believes this makes it more reliable than traditional golems or other magical statues, and capable of speaking.
"I am Gawfc - says the creature - tell me what you wish me to do".
"For now it will only accept instructions to attack from me, but will accept other instruction from you too, such as moving a rock or similar things - Gila says - I am still working on its commands and restrictions, but I think it could be very useful during our mission".

Agnja tells Dim that Blago has proposed to her, but she is uncertain if she should accept or not. She would like to live one more adventure before deciding, but obviously Blago is jealous of Dim. Indeed the morning after the young wizard pretend to come along. Bonth accept his presence, but warns him he will be kicked out if he does not behave, and tells the same to Dim.
Dim obviously would like very much to persuade Agnja not to marry Blago..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 am

I am very impressed. I can picture many uses for something like it.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Lucius shakes his head, considering that mixing work and personal life appears a a fast track towards death. However, he says nothing, except to Bofar (when the others are out of hearing range).
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Dervish » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

"Having seen both wonderful and terrible things wrought with magic have you thought of ways that Gawfc could be used against you and planned accordingly? Also I think he needs a more suitable name and not an acronym but thats just me I also tle the time to catch up with my companions as we ride/walk/camp
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Eveskyr (Highforge)

"Indeed another name would be nice, but I have not come up with anything good yet. But I am open to suggestions, if you have it. About the safety of Gawfc, in magic and technic there are no insurances, but I am confident it is well protected", Gila says.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Dervish » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Why not call Him Gavin or Gabriel
Dervish
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am

Eveskyr (Highforge)

"These are quite human-like names, I'd say, but Gabriel is not too bad, we could call him so if you like it" says Gila with a smile.

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene II - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 10th day, 992 AC)

The day after you continue your trip to Dendwal, the town on the border where you passed two years ago, seeing also some Nighstalkers goblins. The elders of the town soon speak to Bonth and then summon you all in the Town Hall. Here there there is also a goblin, looking middle-aged but still quite fit as a warrior.
Fyrsin, a old gnome who is the informal chief of the town, speaks first: "He is Juvlak, a goblin chief who will be your guide searching for the hideout of the Dark Triad cultists. We do not know the exact location, so you will need him. The situation in the north is problematic, as Juvlak will explain. The Dark Triad is trying to push the Nighstalker to war, and this would be bad fo us, as they are our northern neighbours"

Juvlak is well dressed for a goblin, with a green wool cape and fine black armour. To the eyes of smiths as Bofar and Dim, the workmanship is crude, but effective. He carries a big black mace and a short bow.
"Some of you speak my language? - he says in goblin (Dim, Kesh, Mino, Gila and Bonth speak it) - If not, I can speak an accettable gnomish - he adds in gnomish - in the last years, the Leptarians have provided many gifts to my people to push them on the warpath. We may be late in stopping them, but I wish to do what I can to try".
"I think we should continue this conversation with the Threshold envoy. He has arrived", Bonth interrupts, pointing to a young cleric which looks quite Traladaran, with dark hair and eyes, 5'7'' tall and stocky, with the symbol of Halav in plain sight. Yet, Lucius notices he also has the symbol of the sun, moon and mace of the Church of Karameikos.

"I suppose you are the envoy of Threshold", Bonth says in Traladaran.
(Dorn now can partecipate. The person addressing him is Bonth (NPC), a gnome warrior and the leader of the expedtion from Highforge. Near him there are several other people: two dwarf warriors (Karto, NPC and Bofar, PC), a couple of halfling, Mino and Talla (NPC), a young, pretty human girl of about 15 years (Taradain, PC), a female gnome with a curious gnome-like iron golem beside her (Gila, NPC and Gabriel, gnome automaton NPC), a male gnome dressed as a cleric (Kesh, NPC), three Traladaran-looking humans dressed as wizards, two men and a woman (Dim, PC, Agnja, NPC and Blago, NPC) and a Thyatian-looking human warrior (Lucius, PC).
And there is also a well dressed goblin (NPC) who looks like an experienced warrior.
Bonth shortly introduce all these people and asks Dorn his name.

(The others can reply to Juvlak, the goblin, before addressing Dorn if they like to)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:38 pm

"Welcome and well met. I'm Lucius", says the Thyatian warrior, in a strongly accented Traladaran.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby stonedzep » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:25 pm

"It is a blessing to make your acquaintance, my name is Dorn, humble servant of the holy cause of the Church of Karameikos", Dorn tries to meet everyone's eyes while speaking, as a manner of greet everyone.
stonedzep
Goblin

Postby agathokles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Lucius nods curtly to the Threshold envoy, then turns back to the goblin chief: "How can we help you in this matter?"
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Dervish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:55 pm

"Well met Dorn! i am Taradain the pleasure is all your i can assure you " Taradain says with a smile extending her hand to dorn
Dervish
Ogre

Postby hihama » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Bofar also nods to Dorn and then turns to listen what goblin answers to Lucius.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:40 am

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene II - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 10th day, 992 AC)

The goblin continues and explains the situation.
"Two years ago I made a pact with the King of Highforge, he agreed to supply us with weapons in exchange for our help in actively fighting the humans of the Iron Ring and the Dark Triad. But many other humans did not understand the difference between my faction and the Leptarians, and their raids on our villages aided the Leptarian cause. Now I fear my cause is lost and the Leptarians will soon gain control of all the Nightstalkers goblins, and direct them in raids against all the surrounding communities. We are entering a dangerous territory where you will be killed on sight, and me too, probably, as my enemies have likely taken full control of the tribe by now. If I am discovered aiding you, my family could be in danger too. I think our only hope is to find the human priests who command the Leptarian faction and kill them. I had no idea where they could be, but now the gnomes told me they think they could be about 16 miles north east of here. Yet we cannot go there on a straight line, but we should go north, then west to avoid the area where my people is more numerous. Is a distance of about 25 miles among steep hills covered with trees and shrubs, where you can easily get lost if you do not know the trails. It will take five days in the best of circumstances, so maybe more like seven. You have questions?
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 am

Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene III - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 10th-11th day, 992 AC)

The goblin then guides you to the edge of the town, and indicated a big dire wolf who is watching him from a distance.
"He is Kark, my mount - Juvlak says - he would spook your horses, so I will be in the front, at a certain distance, checking the trail. Also, as explained before, I do not want to be seen with you. If you are ready, we will depart immediately to the north".
Bonth agrees, then speaks a bit with all of you.
"We will leave Juvlak in the front, while Mino and Talla will stay a bit behind to check our back. The trail is difficult and you may have to lead the horses quite often, but the sun is shining!"
Indeed as soon as you leave Dendwal and the borders of Highforge, you can see a view of steep, forested hills with thick underbrush which seem almost impassable. Only a small trail hidden in the woods allows you to travel to the north. You are walking on the crest of the hills between two different groups of valleys, the ones on the left going down toward the Threshold lake, which you can see sometimes in the distance among the trees, the valleys on the right going down to the main valley of the Shutturga.
During the day you hear and see only birds and other small animals, but at lunch Juvlak says he has seen a pack of dire wolves, which however stayed away from you.
"We are a party large enough to scare away almost anything, except manticores and dragons - the goblin says - but they would attack by night. During the day the point is staying away from large groups of goblins who could question or attack us. By the end of the third day, we should reach some friends..".
You stop for the night in a sheltered clearing near the top of a hill. Bonth and Juvlak organize guard shifts for all. During Lucius' shift, the young warrior sees a black bear looking at the clearing from the trees. Lucius is quite tense for a while, but soon the bear leaves.

The next day the weather is still fine and you continue your trip. When you stop for lunch in a sunny meadow, Bofar is grabbed by the tall grass! "Grab grass, beware! - Bonth says - try to break free and everyone else look around!"
Sturm
Black Dragon

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe