The Karameikos PbP New Heroes and Villains (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP New Heroes and Villains (IC thread)

Post by Sturm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 am

Bumping this just to say the threads for the rescue mission and the infiltration have been done too!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:57 pm

North of Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene V - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th day, 992 AC)

Elwyn show herself, with the others behind her, presenting herself as an emissary from Threshold. She presents also Dorn, explaining he, despite being a Threshold cleric like her, was with a group sent from Highforge. She also introduce Juvlak, as an ambassador from the Nightstalker goblins willing to oppose the Iron Ring.
Desmond Kelvin and Arteris Penhaligon are happy to encounter you, but they insist to speak while proceeding, as they are following the kidnappers of Arelena Kelvin, through the difficult terrain. Desmond and Kaerin are excited, but also worried, about the rescue attempt by Bonth and the others. Desmond knows Bonth and explain to his companions how he met the gnome, Lucius, Bofar and Dim.
For the moment however the group has not much to do but proceed at the maximum possible speed which for a full army it is very slow. In the meantime scouts are sent in every possible direction to avoid the possible trap by the Iron Ring.
Elwyn has kept one berry, and she offer to fly again the day after, to look for the position of the enemy forces.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Scene V - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th day, 992 AC)

The day goes by with the army on the march. Scouts reports only animals, but this includes dire wolves, and Arteris and Elwyn suspect goblin shamans may be able to spy on the progress of your march through them.
Eventually the army has to stop for the night and that alone creates several difficulties, as there is no clearing large enough in the hills to accomodate so many men. In the end Arteris and Desmond decide to occupy an entire hill, to have at least the benefit of the high ground, but the soldiers must disperse among the trees and can hardly form a proper Thyatian encampment.
A relevant number of sentries is posted, but at some point the night Dorn is awaken by howls and screams, as if an entire goblin army was about to surrender the Thyatian forces...

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:47 am

Scene V - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13-14th day, 992 AC)

All the scattered army awaken, ready to resist an attack, and Dorn and the others among them.
However you soon realize that the goblins do not show themselves, beyond a lot of screaming and some arrows, including flaming arrows, falling among you.
This pattern goes onward for all the night, preventing you from sleeping.
Only at dawn it ceases, the result is just some tents burned, some soldiers wounded and nothing more.
The day after Arteris and Desmond, the leaders of the army, decide to proceed. They think the army will be able to reach the area of the lost Sanctuary within the day. With the soldier so tired however, progress is even slower than the day before.
Scouts are sent again in every direction to detect any possible trap.
Later in the day, Desmond Kelvin speaks to all the commanders, including also Elwyn and Dorn.
"It is strange but we have found no trace of a trap so far, and this worries me. Either they have understood we are looking for it, or they are planning something in the vicinity of the Sanctuary. Before doing anything, we will have to wait for Bonth and his group, hoping they will bring my sister with them, or at least news of her.."

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Scene V - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 14th day, 992 AC)

Karto, Lucius, Bofar, Agnja, Blago, Dim and Kesh are soon lead to speak the leaders of the armies, where they can also meet Dorn and Elwyn. Bonth is wounded and Gabriel does not move at all, so Kesh and Elwyn soon leave to look after them.
The prisoners you took are taken into the care of Kelvin soldiers.
Karto explains quickly what happened, then Desmond speaks. "If my sister was not in the wagon the wizard must have teleported her to the Sanctuary shortly after kidnapping her. The caravan was just a decoy and you fallen into it, instead of me as he probably intended. I am sorry and again grateful for your intervention. The good thing is we have some prisoners from which we could obtain informations, and you warned us about the trap. The bad thing is we do not know yet what the trap could be, and I am afraid it could be good enough to lure us to our death despite your warning.."
Before Arteris Penhaligon or the others can speak, another scout arrives, saying a female gnome wizard appeared near the camp, carrying a wounded human girl and two halflings. You understand he must speak about Taradain.
Indeed the gnome wizard is Gila, who tells you Taradain and Milo, the halfling scout, have been poisoned by yellow mold, and are barely breathing. Immediately Taradain and Milo are carried to Kesh and Elwyn, and Tala goes with them.
Gila however stays to speak to Desmond.
"Your sister is in the Sanctuary. A wizard, apparently her captor, appeared there just after we saw her. We had to move away or risk detection, but later we encountered the yellow mold and we had to leave. I am sure the Sanctuary has more than one level, but I haven't been able to find a way down. The wizard also said something about your mother...".
Arteris, Desmond and Kaerin look at each others, apparently shocked.
Lucius, Bofar and Dim realize the wizard must be the escaped Oliver.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Just to make sure, Bofar describes Oliver to Gila.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Gila's description confirms indeed the wizard is Oliver.
"Our mothers, meaning Claudia Penhaligon, Elena Kelvin and Milena Antonic, were kidnapped ten years ago by the infamous Skarda - Desmond says, his voice almost broken by repressed rage - you were already told this by Teranon Antonic two years ago. This Skarda must have some magical device to have escaped our efforts to track him down. He could well be the trap we are walking into. We must find a way to find him!"
Gila, Kesh and Elwyn also look after Taradain and Milo, who are not in a very good shape, and Gabriel, which according to the gnome wizardess, has been quite damaged by Oliver's lightning.
Arteris, Kaerin, Desmond and Fain Flinn begin to discuss how they could free Arelena and still lure Skarda to a fair fight, hopefully discovering his mysterious way of escape..

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 09, 2017 10:59 am

Desmond and Arteris begin to devise a plan. Even if Desmond would very much like to storm the Sanctuary right now and free his sister, he realizes his only hope to find Skarda and his mother is to await for the trap to spring.
The plan is therefore to move the army as to attack the Sanctuary, then to wait for the appearance of Skarda. From previous reports, Desmond and Arteris know that the wizard is apparently able to summon an army from nowhere, so he will probably try to attack the flank or the rear of the armies. When this happens, an elite strike team will try to capture him.
Another strike team of five people, using the magical berries of which Gila still has seven, will instead attack Oliver in his hideout, trying to free Arelena.
"Now the question is, choose what you want to do. Try to capture Skarda, which will be the more numerous group, or try to capture Oliver and free my sister. I am personally torn between the two options - Desmond says - It's my mother or my sister, but I will reach a decision. Both are quite dangerous missions, so no one is demanding you to do it, you can still stay with the armies, and will probably have plenty of fights anyway. You owe us nothing, but any help will be appreciated".
Arteris nods, as Kaerin and Fain Flinn.
The scouts in the meantime arrive to tell you they have seen the Sanctuary atop the next hill. You are near the place where the battle will begin.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 pm

I think, I will stay with the main army. Have had enough wizards for my taste.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Lucius is probably not the best person to go after the wizard, given his previous botched encounter. He sticks with Bofar.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Good decision, Lucius, I would not have let you go near Oliver...

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Wed May 10, 2017 12:45 am

Oliver is but a stepping stone to skarda i say we taker him
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 10, 2017 1:17 pm

"I can take you back to your feet - Kesh, the gnome cleric, says to Taradain - if you are committed to this".
"I am willing to be part of the group against Oliver - Gila says - you will need a wizard against a wizard. Taradain could open Arelena's chains while we keep him busy.."
Kesh also volunteers to accompany Gila. Kaerin Penhaligon insist to be part of the group, and Desmond eventually agrees to lead the group against Skarda. Karto will be the fifth against Oliver.
Desmond and Arteris will go against Skarda and Bonth, Juvlak, Elwyn, Petrus, Arkan, Milo and Talla, Agnja and Blago volunteer to go with them. The Knights of the Order of the Griffon you met two years ago, Dorus, the warrior, Ludovico, the scout, Nicola, the wizard and Sara, the cleric, are with them too.
Dorn and Dim could go with them, if they want.
Fain Flinn will command the armies. He proposes to Bofar and Lucius command of a patrol, if they feel confident they could handle it, or be part of his main guard, if they prefer.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 pm

I don't know about you Lucius, but I'm not confident about my capabilities as a leader, so I will prefer to be a part of the main guard.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 10, 2017 7:07 pm

I don't particularly desire the responsibility involved, but if Flinn is asking us to lead, it means they don't have anyone more suited, Bofar. I think we should accept. I can do it, at least, but I need someone I can trust at my side.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Then I follow you, at least to prevent you following your lately surfaced "Thyatian" instincts...

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 am

Scene VI - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 14th day, 992 AC)

Fain Flinn give you a horse and a pony and command of 14 mounted veterans from Kelvin and Penhaligon. You will be a sort of rogue patrol, and your job will be to close any hole the enemy may create in the main line, a thing could happen in case of attacks by powerful opponents. Lucius will be the sergeant of the patrol and Bofar his corporal. Flinn will give you more specific orders in case of a siege.
When the armies approach the Sanctuary however is clear this will not be a siege. A great number of opponents is apparently waiting for you. Goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, lizardmen, troglodytes and humans are camped under the Sanctuary, under many banners you do not know. They are obviously ready to attack, probably because they think your men will be tired after the march. Flinn however advises caution to the commanders.
"They will probably only test us and reserve their main attack when the night will fall. That will also be the time in which the trap will spring, whatever it may be. So pass the order to fight defensively for now!"
Indeed that is exactly what happens, with missile fire and some spell targeted at you, to which Flinn commands to answer with similar actions. Bofar and Lucius do not have much to do for now, just keeping an eye on the line.
The enemy tries to provoke more substantial melee attacks, but Flinn maintains well the discipline of his men, and there are just some minor skirmishes on the advanced line, until the night comes.
At this point the enemies beat drums and play horns all over the battlefield, then a big wave of goblins, humanoids, lizardmen and others charges at your line. Before Bofar and Lucius can even understand the situation on the front line however a messenger from Flinn comes to tell them to go to the rearguard.
Indeed the rear of your formation has been attacked by mounted and armed knights! Still Flinn, Arteris and Desmond were expecting this and indeed you see a melee behind the knights, probably were Desmond and Arteris with the others are trying to take Skarda. But Bofar and Lucius have little time to look there. Ten knights on horseback, with lances ready, are charging at their group!

(Two others thread for the others below:
In the Sanctuary for Taradain: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17668&p=196145#p196145
Against Skarda for Dim and Dorn: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17835#p196151)
Last edited by Sturm on Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 pm

I was not ready for this. Lucius, how do we battle against lance-wielding knights. I do not have any experience fighting on ponyback...

Bofar, however readies his hammer.

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish » Mon May 15, 2017 3:24 pm

"I am willing to go after oliver
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Dervish wrote:"I am willing to go after oliver
(I already sent you :), you can reply further on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17668&p=196145#p196145)

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 15, 2017 4:05 pm

(This is instead the thread for Dim and Dorn:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17835#p196151)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon May 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Lucius orders his men to feint a withdraw, splitting in two groups to exploit the greater maneuverability and speed to exhaust the enemy charge and then flank them and overrun them with greater numbers.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 pm

The men nods and obey, clearly approving this strategy. You split and try to out-maneuver your enemies, which indeed soon clearly suffer their weight. Soon you are able to flank them as you planned and some of your men can also shoot first some crossbow darts. Just two of the darts hit true and wound some enemies, but it's a start.
After this, you are quickly engaged in melee and the enemy knights have to drop their lances without the opportunity to use them. Lucius is alone against a knight, but Bofar has a man from Penhaligon beside him.
The knight against Lucius, slowed by his armor, cannot attack first and the young Thyatian has the opportunity to try to strike him. Unfortunately the blow hits the enemy's shield and does not do any damage. Unfortunately the enemy is luckiest and strikes Lucius right into the shoulder, the sword cutting deep and forcing him to lower the shield's arm. Lucius has a bad wound now and he realizes he has not much time to finish this fight.
Bofar is attacked by his opponent and receive a sword cut near the neck, which removes a part of his beard. An inch more and he would be dead. The dwarf and the man beside him strike back, but while Bofar hits, the other man fumbles completely and fall from his horse. The dwarf's blow does a lot of noise, but he fears, little damage to his enemy, who soon raises his arm to attack again.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Bofar tries to dodge the sword and hit back when the enemy is unbalanced.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Lucius tries to strike true to defeat the enemy as soon as possible, but his sword just scratches the arm of the knight, probably doing little damage. The enemy this time is unlucky as well however, and misses the young Thyatian completely.
The opponent of Bofar misses, but the dwarf hits the armor again, obtaining little results.
Lucius hits the enemy knight again, doing some little damage to the armor, and the enemy reaction fails to hit him, unbalancing the knight on his saddle.
The opponent of Bofar fail miserably his following strike. He falls from the horse and the man from Penhaligon now on the ground takes the opportunity to stab him with a knife. The knight has little time to cry in pain, as Bofar hits him squarely in the head, putting the human down for good..

Return to “The Crystal Globe”