The Karameikos PbP Rescue mission (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.

Moderator: Chimpman

The Karameikos PbP Rescue mission (IC thread)

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:20 pm

North of Eveskyr (Highforge)
Scene V - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th day, 992 AC)

After Elwyn and the others are gone, Bonth gives the berries to himself, Karto, Kesh, Agnja, Blago, Dim, Lucius, Bofar and the goblin Much. Gabriel is instead enchanted with flying by the blue girl herself. The construct will shoot at the kidnappers caravan as soon as you spot them, then you will revert to humanoid form to attack. Bonth, Karto, Lucius and Bofar will get in the melee, trying to reach the carriage with Alerena Kelvin. Kesh, Dim, Lucius, Blago and Agnja will target the enemies with spells. Agnja asks Dim and Blago to cast webs, while she will use the Sleep spell. Kesh will try Hold person.
Once ready, you take the berries and turn into hawks. The experience is fantastic, but in half an hour you are able to spot a caravan of just one closed carriage, and at least twelve guards on horses, going north west in the hills.
Gabriel shoots immediately against the driver of the carriage, taking him down.
The rest of you turns back into humans the moment you hit the ground, and the spellcasters launch their spells immediately. The tactic is extremely effective. Three riders are blocked by Kesh's magic, two are immobilized by Dim's and Blago's webs and six are taken down by Agnja's sleep spell. Only one is still standing when Karto attacks him and, even if the dwarf's attack is inneffective, he seems more confused than willing to resist. Bonth in the meantime goes up the carriage, trying to break the back door...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP Rescue mission (IC thread)

Postby hihama » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Bofar goes to help Bonth. Let me use the hammer.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Bonth and Bofar smash quite easily the wooden door of the wagon, but they just find themselves blocked by an iron gate.
Beyond it there is a human in a dark purple and blue robe who smiles at them.
"Stupids, die", he says, then from his outstretched hands comes forth a wave of flames which hit Bonth and Bofar fully and then expand to reach also Lucius, Karto and the remaining mounted warrior.
Seeing the flames, all instinctively try to avoid them, diving to the ground.
Yet Bonth and Karto are apparently less successfull than Lucius and Bofar. The young thyatian and the young dwarf manage to avoid most of the flames and are just burned in several points. It hurts a lot, but Bonth and Karto seems much worse, as they are running around in flames.
The remaining mounted warrior spur his horse and runs away. Kesh creates some gust of waters with a spell, and succeed in extinguish Bonth and Karto. The two warriors fall to the ground.
The commotion has awakened the six men who Agnja sent to sleep, who are now stirring.
The wizard in the wagon laughs, and begins to chant again...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Bofar drops the hammer, takes his dagger and throws it at the wizard.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Lucius attacks the nearest man among those who are stirring, trying to stay out of sight of the wizard.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Bofar throws his dagger at the wizard, but the weapons, even if it passes through the iron bars, bounces back hitting some invisible barrier around him.
Agnja sends a bright light in front of the wizard, momentarily blinding him. The wizard however does not lose his concentration, and the vegetation around Bofar, Lucius and the others start to animate, coiling and binding you.
Kesh speak some words and the wizard is apparently blocked for a few seconds, but soon he moves again and start preparing another spell.
Lucius goes to one of the awakening men and hits him hard with the flat of his blade, knocking him down.
Much, the goblin charmed by Agnja, tries to do the same but fails, a man rises up and wounds the goblin, cutting him and drawing blood.
Blago sends a magic missile against the wizard in the wagon, hitting and wounding him.
Dim uses another sleep spell on the stirring warriors, and all five fall down, back to sleep.
The wizard in the wagon prepares another spell..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Bofar tries to get free of the vegetation. If he manages, he goes to the side of the wagon and tries to tip it over.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Lucius rushes to help Bofar in upturning the wagon.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Bofar tries to reach the wagon, but a coil of vegetation trips him and as soon as he falls more grass works to pin him down.
Lucius instead reaches the wagon and tries to move it, but the carriage is too heavy to lift it alone.
Agnja, Blago, Dim and Kesh are preparing more spells against the wizard, but he completes his one first.
"Say hello to your death!" the wizard says, looking at Lucius from behind the bars, just a couple of feet away.
A cloud of yellowish gas comes from the hands of the wizard, reaching Lucius' face in moments. The young warrior tries not to breath, but the acidic cloud surrounds and suffocate him, until he falls to the ground. Bofar, pinned down by the plants, is reached soon. Unable to breath, the dwarf is aware of a painful death coming to him.
Agnja manages to send a magic missile against the wizard, but an invisible shield saves him from the blast. The gas reaches Dim, Blago and Kesh before they can finish their spells, then Agnja too. All fall to the ground, coughing, breath harder and harder, darkness falling over them. Karto stops moving on the ground, where he already laid burned. Bonth, while wounded by the previous flame spell, manages to rise, but the wizard, slowly and calmly, exit the carriage, descends the steps and casually sends a magic missile against him, while kicking the struggling Lucius down.
Bofar and Lucius can see the wizard laughing, just when they cannot breath anymore, and the insufferable pain is heralding their death, the death of them all.

But they forgot about Gabriel. More importantly, the wizard forgot about the flying construct. Two darts hits the wizard, bouncing back on his invisible shield. The wizard snarls and send a lightning bolt against Gabriel, but the gnome construct manage to avoid much of it, and flies directly to engage the wizard. He curses, shouts "Wake up, idiots!" and flies away as well, Gabriel in pursuit.

Bofar, Lucius and Dim pass away, and see nothing more.

You are very surprised to awake. The knowledge of being still alive is exhilarating, at first, then you realize you are tied up and gagged, with your hands behind your back and no armor, inside the iron bars of the carriage.
A quick look around shows that Karto and Bonth, unmoving and wounded, maybe dead, are with you, as Kesh and Blago. Gabriel and Agnja however are not here. The guards are now back on their horses, but now only eleven of them, as one ran away. The driver of the cart and the guard hit by Lucius are wounded, tied to a horse.
The wizard is now riding on the front. The guards are all alert and clearly nervous, crossbows in hands, looking around at the woods.
After a while you stop for the evening and they set up a heavily guarded camp. The wizard now approaches the wagon to address you. "Pleased to meet you, I am Oliver of Hom and I must say I am a bit confused. I was expecting Karameikan nobles and instead I get you. Who are you? How did you know where to find me? What is the thing that attacked me? Highforge?
If so, why are you involved? Please, be so nice to satisfy my curiosity. I will not hurt you. You are too precious as slaves".

(Not planned, you were indeed winning but unfortunately all of you failed the saving throw! Still, not all is lost yet!)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26 pm

"We are mercenaries working for Highforge. The gnome here is our employer. He may know the reasons for the attack -- we were merely given a plan to follow."
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby hihama » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Bofar grunts and nods to what Lucius says.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 am

"I see, that could be true. Give this to the gnome. Maybe he will be willing to talk with me. - The wizard shows you a bluish potion and continues - Healing potion, give some also to the other dwarf, which seem in bad shape too". - He drinks a bit of it himself. - See? No trick. You may not be exceedingly happy to become a slave, but I assure you that fighters like you can have a great career as bound men. And anyway, how many of those who believes themselves free are truly so?"
He waves his hands, and Lucius' ropes untie and falls down, then the wizard gives him the potion.
He smiles and goes back to his men, giving them instructions. Karto and Bonth are indeed barely breathing on the floor of the carriage, so burned that the guards did not even bothered to tie them.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 am

I think this was a trap. Somebody set us up or not us because wizard was waiting for someone else, bofar whispers.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby agathokles » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Lucius adds, also in the lowest possible voice: "We told you're the only one who knows why we're here. You'd better play dead until we can think of a way to escape"
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Bonth nods as soon as he has drank enough potion to regain coscience. But the tactic of playing dead works only up to a certain point, because after a while the guards come again, to tie Lucius and Karto, who is regaining his senses too, and drag Bonth to the fire, where the wizard speak to him at lenght.
Bonth finally is returned to the prison wagon, but Bofar is taken in his place.
Bonth says to Lucius the wizard has asked him about allies and plans, but he has not answered. However, he thinks he has employed some kind of magic. Bonth thinks, and hopes, he was able to resist, but he is clearly worried about the others.
Bofar indeed is questioned likewise, and he feels himself willing to cooperate with the nice wizard, but when he ask about other allies in the region, Bofar comes back to his senses and resist this urge, saying there is no one else.
The wizard smiles as if nothing happened, then returns Bofar to the carriage and takes Lucius.
"So your friend tell me you have no other allies around, beside the construct and the female mage who ran away, but I think they are not telling me everything. Understandable, if they are citizens of Highforge. You, on the other way, are a Thyatian like me. A young and strong warrior who could have a good career in our organization. Why should you care for gnomes and dwarves? Tell me about Highforge plans. How many men they have in the Hills. What the others are doing?"
This wizard indeed is friendly and he has a point - Lucius thinks - why should he care about Highforge?

(Lucius is charmed. He now considers Oliver his best friend, but he can still negotiate with him, because Bofar, Taradain, Dim and Dorn are his friends too. He now find himself in a difficult situation, because he prefer Oliver, but should he betray Desmond and Taradain? Maybe he can discuss the matter with Oliver?)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 pm

"Indeed, Thyatians should stick together, in this country. We are threatened on all sides by Traladaran insurgents and savages. Really, I respect the dwarves -- a fine, no-nonsense folk, but I don't get how they could put up with a gnome leadership willing to deal with goblins and worse. Between a Thyatian and another, they were willing to cut a deal with a madman, a druid in a small forest, who was a clear threat to civilization. Now, I'm just a mercenary and I'm not supposed to stick my nose in these political things, but hey, I think someone should really do something about dangerous madmen in the woods. Now, let me tell you the place -- wouldn't want a friend to inadvertently enter the area, as there's plenty of invisible flying folks there, dangerous stuff."

Lucius proceeds to tell Oliver the location of the druid's lair, to the best of his recollection.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:46 am

The wizard listen to Lucius with great attention.
"We indeed had some problems with forest creatures. What kind of deal the gnome was willing to cut with him? Was the druid the one who told you how to find me? Has the gnome sent others to contact the armies of Kelvin and Penhaligon?"
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 am

"He was trying to trade some weapon in return for his help. In the end, he listened to reason and refrained from arming that mad druid. He then found a different way to get the information he was looking for. We should indeed contact Baron Kelvin -- as the main defender of Thyatian interests in this region, he should be warned of these problems, as well as of the goblin armies!"
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm

The wizard speaks with Lucius for a little more, mostly to describe the benefits of a career in the Iron Ring, then he tells him to sleep by the fire. Lucius fall asleep among the guards and is not put back into the wagon.
He is awaken by some commotion during the night. A guard is running to the camp and screaming. The wizard is awakening too, as the other guards.
Agnja is by the carriage, two guards asleep beside her, helping Blago, Dim, Bonth, Bofar, Karto and Kesh escape and untiying their bonds.
Before the wizard can send a spell against her, Gabriel from the sky and Much somewhere in the woods shoot at him. A dar from Gabriel hits him squarely in the shoulder, clearly wounding him.
The wizard curses and sends a lightning bolt against Gabriel, and the construct falls from the sky.
Karto and Bonth grab their weapons from the camp and attack the nearest guards, while Kesh drops three of them down with a spell.
The guard who has seen Agnja first attack Bonth, wounding him.
Blago sends a web over the wizard, blocking him.
Dim does the same, blocking two more guards.
Lucius feels he should help Oliver get free of the web.
Five guards are blocked and the driver of the wagon is hiding, but three guards are fighting and three more, put asleep by Agnja, are now awakening.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby agathokles » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:57 pm

If Lucius has his swords, he tries to cut the wizard out of the Web and tells him to flee.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby hihama » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Bofar runs to Lucius and tries to knock him out.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Scene VI - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th day, 992 AC)

Bofar succeed in hitting Lucius right on the helm. The young warrior is stunned and cannot free Oliver from the web as he wished to, but does not fall, instinctively adopting a defensive position to protect the wizard from the dwarf.
The young Thyatian is also confused by this attack from his friend Bofar while he is trying to help his friend Oliver...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Lucius, wake up, he's the enemy, not me! Bofar yells while slapping Lucius on the face.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Postby Sturm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Scene VI - 2 years later (Buhrlen, Felmont, Summer, 13th day, 992 AC)

A guard attacks Bonth, wounding him again, while the other two have little success against Karto and Kesh, who manage to parry their blows. Three guards have awakened and attack as well. Bonth is hit again and falls, Karto is slightly wounded on an arm, while Kesh parries. Agnja engulfs two guards in darkness, and Blago cast another sleep spell, dropping three of them again.
Karto and Kesh immediately proceed to hit them, to be sure they will stay down. Muck the goblin shoots at the guards, but misses.
Dim sends a magic missile against the remaining guard, wounding him. He very much seems ready to surrender.
Lucius and Bofar are frozen, with the young Thyatian uncertain on what he should do, and the young dwarf unwilling to attack his friend.
Oliver in the meantime scream in rage and a cloud of fire starts from him, occupying the whole clearing in the matter of a few minutes. You feel the fire eating at your flesh, and a pain you cannot believe is real. When death comes, you welcome her.

But that is not what happens to Bofar and Karto. The two dwarves feel panic and an urge to dive to the ground or run just like the others, but soon they realize the flames are not really burning. The flame are unreal, just an illusion!
Oliver curses, and starts another spell.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby hihama » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Bofar stops paying attention to Lucius and tries to tackle Oliver down.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Next

Return to The Crystal Globe