The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by agathokles » Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Good, in we go. Bofar, take point, I'll be right behind you.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Let's see if there is a back door.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 am

The Mansion near Krondsfield
Scene X - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

"No back doors, - Slinker says after taking a tour of the mansion - no sign of recent movements on the back either"
"The room at the left of the main door is dark and there are rotten curtains inside, but it seems to me there is a table with people sitting on chairs - Silverleaf says - still, I cannot see if they are people, shadows or else", Silverleaf says.
"Probably we should enter, checking for traps each step of the way", Bellithiel says.
"Detect evil active - Kesh says - I should be able to see any possible hostile creature or evil magic, but it will last just an hour".

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am

Scene X - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

"We have to know what Oliver wanted here, so we must enter with all due precautions", Kesh says.
Slinker opens the door and let Bofar and Lucius enter first with Delvar, then Kesh, Bellithiel Silverleaf, Morganth and Slinker.
"There is something wrong here - Kesh says - I cannot exactly pinpoint anything, but there is some malevolence in this house". You do not hear any sound around except for birds in the woods outside. All seem quiet. Another closed door leads north.
The room you have entered is a sitting room. The moldy scraps of an ancient rug tangle around your feet. Rotten wallpaper hangs from the walls. Water drips down the chimney of the cold stone fireplace. A portrait hangs over the mantle, depicting a middle aged partially bald man a bit fan, finely dressed, over a background of mountains, maybe the wizard who owned the place, Gunter. Except for a heavy old desk the once fine furniture is now worm eaten and cracked. The chairs are quite ruined by humidity.
"This desk has a drawer", Slinker says, and proceeds to open it. "Old poisoned trap, removed".
Inside the drawer there is small notebook in good conditions, possibly penned by that wizard Gunter. Kesh, Bellithiel and Morganth start to examine it.
"That's disturbing - Bellithiel says - hear it: 'At last I have discovered the secret of reanimating the dead! Dear Erika is quite displeased by my servants' appearance, but they obey my every wish exactly', then goes on describing how he is building a chamber to survive past death. He was old and sick and wanted to live more with his young and beautiful wife, he writes. So Gunter was a necromancer".
"This explains my feelings", Kesh says.
"Not a good start" Delvar says.
"The shadows on the other room could be undead construct or something as horrible human wizards do" Silverleaf says.
"As horrible it may be, this mansion could have useful knowledge", Morganth says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 25, 2018 11:17 am

Let's move on, then. We need to secure the remaining rooms, then look for this chamber.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri May 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I have a bad feeling about this...

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Scene XI - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

Slinker looks at the painting when he screams the figure is moving and indeed you suddendly see the painted wizard move and speak, in Thyatian with some accent!
"Welcome to my home, mortals! I have been waiting for such as you! I have need of a mortal life, and you shall give me one. Seal my house, dark forces, and hold them here! You are my prisoners now. Give me the life of one, and the others are free to leave. Otherwise, I shall claim you all on the stroke of midnight. Enjoy your stay in my humble house".
The wizard laughs. Delvar tries to open the door from which you came, but it seems barred now. The dwarf however keeps trying.
The animated wizard steps out of the painting and stands in front of you with a saw, apparently solid.
"The life I need?" he asks.

(You may be aware this adventure, like the previous one, is from the AD&D First Quest 1994 Boxed set, which contained an audio CD too. I am not bothering with the audio because, even if the acting quality is not too terrible IMHO, it is full of inappropriate references. For example it contains the voices of PCs together with the sounds and the voices of NPCs which makes no sense as the PCs should speak with their own voice at the table! Also the audio says things the DM may not wish to say at that time. I own more or less all the audio CD products and the adventures are full of interesting plots but the audio CDs are not really useful to create atmosphere in playing. Anyway should you wish to know we are now at tracks 37 and 38 :)

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 28, 2018 3:26 pm

So, in other words, we have until midnight to decide...

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 29, 2018 9:22 am

The wizard appears enraged at Bofar's words. "I want a life now or I will take them all by midnight!", he screams.
"You can try, undead monstruosity!" Kesh says, raising his holy symbol.
A light comes from it, and the wizard raises his arm as to cover his eyes. Then he screams in rage again and attacks, hitting Kesh with his saw. The gnome cleric suddenly becomes pale and falls down, even if he has not visible wounds.
Delvar screams in rage and charge against the wizard, while Morganth begins a spell, Bellithiel attacks with her sword and Silverleaf, first to act, hits him with an arrow right in the face. The arrow however passes through the wizard and sticks into the wall.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am

Bofar tries to attack the painting wizard came from.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Lucius remains in the defensive, circling out of the trajectory of Silverleaf's arrows, then uses his sword to strike at the wizard.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Bofar knocks the painting, now only with a landscape, out of the wall. The painting crashed down to the floor.
In the meantime Lucius,Delvar, Slinker and Bellithiel hit the wizard with hand weapons, while Morganth sends some magical darts against him.
The grinning wizard disappears into thin air, but it's hard to determine if this was an effect of your attacks or not.
Kesh rises, a bit pale but apparently unharmed. "I fear he is some poweful undead - he says - and I fear we have not yet seen the last of him. I'm fine however, apparently his attack was not able to drain energy as some kinds of undead do".
Slinker in the meantime checks the front door and the door out to the north.
"The front door is barred and wont' bulge - he says - but the door leading out of the room can be opened and is not locked nor trapped".
Delvar tries again to open the front door, and even to smash it with his hammer, but some kind of force field prevent the door from being damaged. Trying to pry it open with a sword yield the same result.
"I fear we have to explore the house and destroy that damn wizard to get out", Morganth says.
Slinker opens the door leading out of the room.
"There is a corridor here with three doors and a stair leading up", he says.
"To the left must be the big room with the seated figures we saw from the outside", Silverleaf says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Let's move progressively through the nearest doors, and keep together.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 31, 2018 10:49 am

"That is a bit dangerous as we do not know what could come up from the other doors", Kesh says.
"Yes someone should take a rearguard while we look into the room where Silverleaf saw the figures", Bellithiel says.
"I'll watch your back, and block the other doors with wedges just in case", Slinker says.
Delvar nods and open the door to the left in the corridor.
Beyond it there is a dining hall with a great table. Broken plates and ruined settings still rest on it. Four human figures are sitted at the table. They rise as you enter the door and shuffle forwars, their rotting faces a sign of their long undeath.
"Damn, more undead", Delvar says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 am

Lucius slowly retreats, leaving space to Kesh to try and turn the undead.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 31, 2018 11:31 am

Scene XII - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

"Zombies are not a problem", Kesh says, raising his holy symbol.
The light coming from it has an immediate effect on the four zombies, which falls down, now dead for good.
"I fear it will not be so easy with the ghost wizard", Kesh says.
"Humans once, probably servants judging by their clothes", Bellithiel says looking at them.
The dining room has two windows to the outside and another door to the north. There is nothing else here a part for a sideboard and some paintings on the wall. The aspect of the room makes you thing an apparently normal life here was cut off rather abruptly.
Before trying the northern door, Kesh proposes to return to the corridor and try the first door to the north. It leads to a parlor. Confortable sitting furniture lines the walls and there is a harpsichord, a rather expensive instrument. In a corner a huge clock is still tickling.
Slinker examines the object, then suddenly the harpsichord plays on its own.
"There is a bit of magic in it, but nothing relevant", Morganth says.
"There is a general evil in all his house, but the instrument does not shine as dangerous", Kesh says.
The clock then beats the hour loudly.
The wizard ghostly figure reappears in the center of the room.
"Your time is running out - he says - Why not render the thief unto me, eh? What good are thieves anyway?"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm

You have a point there. But then again, you could ask the same about wizards.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:17 am

Scene XIII - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

"Not funny dwarf", Slinker says, stabbing the wizard.
The ghost wizard does not even react to the blow, but becomes angry again. "I will take one of you now!". The ghost wizard points at the floor and 8 hands made of wood and earth come out of it, trying to grab you! With a laugh, the wizard disappears.
Bellithiel avoids the hand clutching at her, but Bofar is grabbed by one and slowly brought down under the earth. In a few moments, he is already down to his knees. Delvar and Kesh avoid their hands, and Lucius is grabbed briefly, but manages to shake it off. Morganth is held too, but is apparently resisting as best as he can, as Silverleaf. Slinker dances away avoiding his hand.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:49 am

Bofar tries to struggle himself free.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:30 pm

Lucius hacks at the hand holding Bofar with his sword (assuming the hand is still visible, otherwise he takes hold of one of Bofar's arms, and tries to pull him out).

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 am

Bofar tries to get free of the hand and hit it with his hammer, but this seems to have little effect on the thing. Lucius hacks at it, damaging it slightly, but the hand keeps dragging Bofar down, now to his belly. The other hand near Lucius tries to grab the young Thyatian, but he avoids it.
Delvar and Kesh are still free but struggling with the hands on them. Silverleaf is grabbed but has not been dragged down yet. Bellithiel and Slinker are fighting the hands against them. Morganth sends a magical dart against the hand blocking him and destroys it, getting out of the ground where he was already ankles deep.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:40 am

Lucius swings the sword with all his might, hacking once more at the hand that holds Bofar.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Bofar continues struggling against the pull of hand.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Bofar tries again to get free and hits the hand, but the pull gets even stronger and he is soon down to his shoulders. Lucius desperately tries to hack at the hand holding Bofar but it is hard to do some damage while not hurting the dwarf. He however manages to avoid the hand trying to grab him again.
Delvar manages to destroy the hand against it, while Kesh is still struggling. Silverleaf has been grabbed too and is not sliding down to his thighs. Bellithiel manages to damage his hand, but cannot help him for now. Morganth comes to aid Bofar, hitting the hand holding the dwarf with his dagger, but the damage he does is not very effective.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:24 am

Bofar is down to his head, but finally both Morganth and Lucius succeed in hitting the hand grabbing him, and destroy the thing. The pull has ceased, but the dwarf is still stuck into the earth. Also now the hand near Lucius managed to grab him and pulls him down to his ankles.
Delvar come to the rescue of Lucius hitting the hand, but the thing is not completely destroyed and continues its pull.
Bellithiel, Kesh and Silverleaf are still struggling with the hand against them. Silverleaf manages to partially damage his hand, but has already been pulled down to his waist.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”