The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by agathokles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:22 pm

We cannot leave the advantage of speed to our enemies. We'll risk the magic.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm

From Krondsfield to Kota Hutan
Scene XX - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 20th day, 993 AC

"Very well - Nethril says - I will go first with Bellithiel, then I will return to take you, Kesh and Taran. The others will have to wait tomorrow as I will exhaust all my spells with this. Just warn the elves and use your magical scroll to warn Eveskyr too. I will also tell Penhaligon to send its knights, they should arrive in less than a day".
Nethril then disappears into thin air along with Bellithiel. Several minutes pass before he returns alone.
"The town is in danger already - he says, distressed - I do not know if this is connected to Skarda but I would be surprised if it is not".
Nethril teleports Taran and Kesh next, then tells Bofar and Lucius to join hands and prepare.
You feel a strange sensation, like falling unto yourselves, and the house of Nethril disappears to be replaced by a glade surrounded by very tall oaks. Hidden among and over the oaks there are wooden houses. Around you there are Kesh, Taran and Bellithiel with several other elves. You have to sit for a while, as Kesh was doing, as the teleport made you feel nauseated for some instants. But you are alive and well.
A beautiful and young elven maiden comes forth to speak to you. Her dress is strange, reminding a bit a Ylaruam style. You remember you have already seen some elves dressed as such visiting Eveskyr about three years ago. She speaks in Thyatian with a strong elven accent.
"I am Rahasia. Here in the Hantu Valley at the foot of Gray Mountain, our village has thrived in peace and hiding for many years. Our elders tended the forest. Our youth studied and worshiped in the temple on the mountain. We made our homes in peace—but our peace is no more.
It was two weeks ago when the stranger came. He was a handsome man with deepset eyes and a soft, persuasive voice. Anyone hearing him speak was almost certainly lulled into agreement. But my Father did not trust this man, who called himself The Rahib. When he made unwanted advances toward me, my Father drove him from our village and cast him forth. It was then, as this man retreated to the forest, that The Rahib uttered such a curse that the sky darkened. In a deep, rich voice, he intoned an evil chant we could not understand. He then vanished into the forest. The next day, the elves who study at the temple and their teachers did not return to their homes. Their families became worried and went to the temple, but were driven away by the students, known as the Siswa. My Father and Hasan, my Betrothed, went to investigate, but they have not returned. Two days ago, we received a message for The Rahib. He boasted that all the devoted Siswa were under a spell that will not be broken until the village gives the Rahib three maidens, including myself. We refused. That night, the Siswa attacked and kidnapped two of my friends, Sylva and Merisa. They tried to take me as well, but I escaped. The Siswa also took most of our weapons and armor, leaving us even more defenseless than we already were. All of the villagers are in misery. With the Rahib controlling the sons and fathers of our clan, there is nothing we can do. Some have begged me to give myself over to the wicked Rahib, but I dare not, lest I find that he has lied, and will not break his curse. I was assembling a group of brave friends to stop the Rahib. But your arrival can make use stronger and gives us much better hopes. Are you willing to help?"
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I've got a bad feeling about this...

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 am

Damsels in distress, elven damsels... Bofar shakes his head and then waves his hand looking at Lucius. Of course we help, what else can we do.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:03 pm

Kota Hutan
Scene XXI - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 20th day, 993 AC

"This Rahib clearly arrived before Oliver, but he cannot be a coincidence. Skarda must have known the elves here had contacted Eveskyr and Karameikos, and suspected they had informations about the Mirror and its powers. Or this Rahib is not a minion of Skarda. This is disturbing, as it could mean there is another party involved. In this case, Oliver and Skarda will come too, soon", Taran says.
"Tomorrow Nethril will arrive with more people - Kesh says - but I do not know if it is prudent to wait for him".
"I have friends as I said - Rahasia says, introducing 8 more people, seven elves and a halfing - they could joins us immediately".
"Fourteen of us, but still not enough to defeat the Siswa I suppose!", Bellithiel says.
"The point would be to use secrecy and magic, and subdue the Siswa rather than kill them. If we find a way to broke the spell the Rahib put on them, we will deafeat him", Rahasia says.
"Wait for Nethril and the others or go, what do you think?" Kesh asks.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:56 pm

I do not think we have time on our side. If we have to subdue the Siswa, we have to try to do it before Oliver and Skarda arrive. We have to fight against them anyway, if they allied with Rahib and if they aren't.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Kota Hutan

"Those of us who have tried to reach the temple in the last days have been attacked by the Siswa, which patrol an area around it. But now we are a stronger group and I know a shrine which will teleport us directly inside the temple. Just remember the Siswa are our relatives, under magical control. They are not to be killed but stunned or blocked", Rahasia says.
Kesh and Bellithiel agree and decide to go. Guided by Rahasia, you move very cautiously from the village up in the forest, to a mountain hidden behind the trees, the direction of the temple. The halfling and one of the elves move ahead to check for Siswa patrols. Yet you reach a Shrine near the road without any encounter. Up the path, you can see a massive temple on the top of the hill, but Rahasia urges you all to enter the Shrine to avoid being spotted. The Shrine is more than 10 meters long and more than 3 wide and contains an altar and the statue of a bearded man, sitting with his legs crossed. "He was the sage who founded the Quiet Way, the temple and the Siswa - Rahasia says - He disappeared long ago in a terrible battle with three witches. My father told me there is a way to enter the temple behind the statue, but also warned that there is a trap waiting for anyone who enters unannounced. The front gate however could be even more dangerous. My father did not tell me, but I think he and my bethroted used this way to enter. But probably they have been captured, so we have to choose if we should try to use this mean, the front gate or, I do not know, something else?", Rahasia says.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Kota Hutan

"I suppose none of us has better ideas, so let's try your portal", Kesh says to Rahasia after speaking with Bellithiel and Taran.
You follow Rahasia behind the statue and soon you step somewhere else, this time without any nauseating sensation, just a hint of dizziness.
Now you stand on the north side of an octagonal room 10 meters across, with alcoves 3 meters deep in the north, south and west walls, blocked by gates of heavy iron. Above the north alcove is carved the word Kesini, above the other ones the word Kesana. You clearly came from the northern alcove. A large gong hangs before the western wall, now sounding loudly.
"The alarm! The two other alcoves are way out, but we do not know where they lead. Or to the east!" Rahasia says. The eastern wall indeed has not an alcove like the others but a corridor leading to three different doors.
Sunggu, the halfling od Rahasia's group, goes to the east with Jujur, the other elven scout, and they start working on the doors.
Meanwhile Sinar and Mati, two other elves, speak to Rahasia, that address you "Portals or doors? My friend could open with magic the gates leading to the portals, but maybe it is better to try the doors", she says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Lucius proposes to try the doors before plunging into more portals.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Bofar agrees with Lucius.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 am

Temple of the Gray Mountain
Scene XXII - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 20th day, 993 AC

The elves and the halfling open the doors. The southern one from the corridor takes to a storage room with crates, boxes, wines, and a box of brown robes. "These are the ones worn by the Siswa", Rahasia says.
The eastern door, a double door, takes to another octagonal room whose walls are painted with beautiful fresco paintings of trees and mountain scenes.
A staircase in the north wall leads to a trapdoor above, and two more double doors lead east and south.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Good. Take the robes, we will disguise ourselves as Siswa. Well... At least most of us.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:08 am

"Great idea!", Rahasia says, and she tell the other elves to wear the robes. Should the Siswa arrive, the elves will pretend to have captured you, Kesh and the halfling of Kota Hutan, Sunggu.
"Now where? - Kesh says - We have north, up, south and east!".
But before others can reply a ghostly form of a stately elf with piercing eyes appears in the middle of the octagonal room with the paintings. Rahasia gasps audibly while the form speaks with a melodious voice.
"I am Rahasia's father. By the Rahib's hand was I here felled and awaited you to come. Rahasia's pain I dearly felt, but you have come to help her. Hasan is in the dungeon south, my gold is toward the north. An ally in the dragon guard waits before the gold. The Rahib is but a pawn: a darker evil lies below. The dragon guard knows the story and guards the way below".
The ghostly form then disappears suddenly.
"Father!", Rahasia cries, bended on her knees. The other elves and the halfling are clearly sad too, someone crying as her.
"We are very sorry", Bellithiel says softly.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 am

Who is Hasan?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

"Rahasia's bethrothed, he came here with her father to investigate the strange behaviour of the Siswa - one of the elves, Sinar, replies - if the spirit said he is to the south, we should try to release him immediately. He is a good warrior and wizard".

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:44 pm

[OOC: I assume that someone translates what is spoken in Elvish.]
Yes, we should first find Hasan. I think, we need every friendly hand here.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Let's move, then.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:18 am

(Sure Kesh or Bellithiel can translate from Elvish)
Rahasia stands up again, conforted by her friends, and drying her tears she proceed to the south as the apparition said.
As soon as you open the double doors to the south, four elves in chainmail come forth, blocking the passage.
"No one can enter unless accompanied by the Rahib", one of them says.
"We have prisoners", Bellithiel says, disguised as a Siswa.
While the guards look at you, Kesh and the halflng, Rahasia and Sinar cast a spell. All the four guards go down, suddenly asleep.
Rahasia and the others quickly look at the cells, and she soon find her bethrothed Hasan, closed in one cell.
"Rahasia, he has killed your father", he says, embracing her. "I know - she says tearful and angry, embracing him as well - we will find him".
"Someone is here? Please help me!" another voice says from another cell, in broken Thyatian.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Lucius goes to see who's there.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Bofar stays to watch at the doors.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:11 am

The voice is from a tall human still wearing chainmail. "Please free me. I am Baik Telor, I came from Thyatis and was travelling to Penhaligon. Strange robed elves captured me on the road and there was a strange cleric, or wizard, who I think wants to kill me!".
The aspect of the man is quite strange to Lucius. He has almond shaped eyes and bronze yellow skin. Once Lucius saw a Thyatian sailor in Specularum which had a similar complexion. The rest of his outfit, turban and loose silk breeches, also looks from a quite faraway place.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am

Don't worry, we'll free you. Were exactly are you from in Thyatis?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 am

"I've been in Thyatis for a while, and before it, Ochalea. But my birthplace is much farther away, so far you may not even heard of it. Is another continent, beyond Alphatia, which is called Skothar. And I am not here completely by chance because there are legends in my country about these elves which supposedly came all the way from Skothar and settled here. Going to Penhaligon, I tried to find them to see if the legend was true. Yet in the legend these elves were benevolent, so I was surprised when they attacked me. I tried to reason with them, but I obtained nothing. And then this cleric or wizard came, asking me question with a very unsettling look. I told him almost nothing, but I thought he certainly was not done with me", the warrior says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:58 am

What did he ask?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:06 pm

"Mostly things which I did not know about - the warrior says - about Skothar and the ancient land of Blackmoor, which in our tales was an ancient empire the gods destroyed for its sins. About these elves and the place from whence they came. But as I told you, I just know old legends, grandmother's tales, and I do not even remember them well. He asked also about some witches and a mirror but I could not understand what he was talking about. If you have a sword, I can fight with you and earn my way out of here".

Return to “The Crystal Globe”