The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by agathokles » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:09 pm

We don't want to go back... I say we go south. While I don't expect to find passage here, we may then try to go west into the Shires, and find passage back from there.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:57 pm

I'll go anyway which do not include travelling in boat, raft or any other water vessel... Bofar says in a silent voice and then continues in a normal voice: I'll vote for south.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Westron road, Blight Swamp
Scene LX - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 22-23th day, 993 AC

With some difficulties, you go south searching for the coast. Night is falling rapidly and the swamp is not an easy terrain with scarce light. Despite this, guided by Sam, you manage to go on without encountering anything dangerous, only the usual normal animals and insects of the place.
After some hours of marching, when it is full night and you can only see what is illuminated by the last quarter of the moon, you finally reach the sea.
The beach is beautiful, the sea is calm, it seem like another place even if the swamp is just behind your backs.
"We could use some rest on a beach indeed. But I think we can only sleep a few hours and then move west as quickly as possible", Sam says.
You set up guard duties, then catch some sleep. Nothing disturbs you during the night and the morning after, after a quick breakfast of rations and fish that Sam was able to catch, you go west.
The beach is often interrupted by streams, overgrown vegetation and half submerged trees, small cliffs and reefs, so following it is not exactly easy, as everything else in the swamp. Yet you still manage to cover more ground than in the interior.
"I begin to worry about the lack of dangers lately", Kesh says in the early afternoon.
Then Sam tell you to lie down and point ahead. There are some caves in a cliff at a short distance, apparently inhabited. A couple of creatures armed with spears is guarding the place, creatures different from any others you have seen before.
"Armed otters? Parley or avoid?" Sam says.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm

It's a risk, but I would like to avoid a long detour. Anyone knows anything about these beings?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:50 am

Scene LXI - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 23th day, 993 AC

"I've read something, but I thought they only lived to the west. They are usually friendly to sailors", Kesh says.
"Not necessarily true here in the swamp where all creatures seem a bit nasty, but I would be inclined to try to speak with them. Maybe I could go alone and escape if something goes wrong, agreed?", Sam says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:57 am

Yes, that could be reasonable. Just don't mention our mission, our companions or really anything else meaningful about us. Make up a reasonable cover story -- maybe we are merchants or wandering mercenaries or shipwreck survivors or whatever seems more believable.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:58 pm

"I'l try to come up with something", Sam says. You see him approaching the otter creatures, which soon become alert and wait with their spears for him, while others arrive soon, including one, brightly dressed and with a necklace of pearls, which apparently can speak with Sam.
After a while the halfling comes back to you.
"They do not seem hostile. Apparently they have an alliance with a human trader who comes here often, they expect him today or tomorrow. This must be the one with the Traladaran name of whom we heard before. They do not like much the elf and the Black Eagle, and I would give that to their credit. They say that human trader could give us passage to the west. Or they will just let us sleep here and we can be on our way tomorrow by foot. What do you think? Could we risk asking passage to this human?", Sam says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:09 pm

We could, but is west the right direction for us? I think we can forget finding the others and just hope they manage to get out of the swamp.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Passage as a ship bound to the Shires? What do they know of this trader? Also, what is our cover story if we stop here?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:14 am

"I told them we were shipwreck survivors but really the female who spoke with me was not really interested in from where we came but mostly if we were allies of the elf, one she called the Dark Wizard or Von Hendriks. I said no and she was satisfied with the answer. I suspect she is a cleric and has ways to detect lies. The Shires will welcome us as honored guest if we present ourselves as opponents of Von Hendriks. And I assure you there they have ways to detect lies too. The alternative is to stop here in this village or ask them for a nearby neutral community where we could stop for some days to wait if the others will reach us", Sam says.
"I believe we have to take our chances. I have ways to detect danger and lies too. Let's speak with the otterfolks and I will be able to see if there is any danger. We can always try to slip away at night, if that is the case. If not, we could well wait for this human trader and see where he can bring us. I can discretly examine him in the same way. Should we go?", Kesh says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Let's take a chance. I like them more than most of what we have met here so far.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:11 am

It will have to do. Let's limit our conversation with them, and speak not of our purpose.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:14 pm

You walk to the otterfolk village. A number of them comes forward to look at you more closely, including a lot of curious children. The village itself is entirely half submerged on the beach and defended by canals and palizades on land. The dry lands above the submerged village are just a place to gather and watch for guards apparently, and you are invited to stay there.
The otterfolk bring you food, mostly nuts and fish, and water. The female who looks like a cleric later comes to speak to you again.
"The human trader will come probably tomorrow morning", she says, in passable Thyatian.
Then Kesh starts a long conversation with her, and refers to you when you are ready to sleep. At least six otterfolks guards stand around you, some partially hidden in vegetation, ostensibly looking outside to protect the village but clearly also to keep eyes on you during the night.
"They seem quite friendly and sincere. She knew I was using magic and she used it too, a common thing among clerics willing to talk openly. They are basically on good terms with this human which lives in a port not far away, and with local caymen tribes. The gatormen leave them alone, but in the last years they had problems with lizardmen and troglodytes, some of which are apparently employed by the Iron Ring to capture slaves. Do we have any more question to ask them?" Kesh says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Let's get some rest. Tomorrow we'll see if the trader shows up, and whether we can get passage to some safer place

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Scene LXII - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 24th day, 993 AC

You pass a quiet night and the morning after the otterfolk give you some vegetables and nuts for breakfast. Even before you finish a small ship, but still quite larger than the one you took on the river, approaches the village from the east.
You see the name of the ship is Crack Biser in Traladaran (Flaky Pearl) and it is manned mostly by humans, with some lizardmen and caymen. A bright dressed human in on the helm. The ship soon stops and a small boat bring to the village the human with another human, a lizardman and an otterfolk dressed as a sailor.
"Time to speak with this captain I believe. Better to say we are lost adventurers. He may have questions if we speak of a shipwreck", Sam says.
The man is a Traladaran about 30 years old, brightly dressed and with pearl earrings and a gold necklace. He is not really handsome but seems somehow charming. The other man is a nasty looking 40 something with big scars on his face. The lizardman and the otterfolk sailors seem capable of handling themselves too.
"So lonely travellers searching for a passage to the Shire. I can certainly bring you to my fine settlement, Port Bright, and then a hin ship will surely pass by soon. Provided you can pay", the man says smiling.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm

I'd rather take my chance on my own... they don't look very trustworthy, and hins are notorious pirates... besides, there is the possibility that we get stuck into "his" settlement if no suitable ship visits.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:27 am

Scene LXIII - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 24th day, 993 AC

"Wow, mind that hin became pirates only after Thyatians invaded our islands. And anyway the alternative is walk all the way to the Shires", Sam says.
"By foot to the Shires it is dangerous indeed. Maybe we should take our chances with this human trader, pirate as he may be", Kesh says

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Suit yourself... says Lucius, rolling his eyes.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm

I just want to get out of the swamp, preferably sooner than later.
Last edited by hihama on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Scene LXIII - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 24th day, 993 AC

"That's a sort of majority to take the ship, I guess", Sam shrugs and go to talk to the Traladaran captain.
The man smiles widely when the halfling gives him a gold coin and invites you on board.
The crew takes some crates down to the shore and bring some others inside the hold, then the ship departs to the west.
"So you will see Port Bright is not a bad place to spend some days. And a halfling ship will pass soon enough anyway. I've taken residence in the swamp some years ago and more or less I managed to maintain good trading relations with almost all the inhabitants. And that's difficult with the Iron Ring and Von Hendriks, mind you. And you have some interesting stories to share? What a halfling, a gnome, a dwarf and two humans do in this swamp? But if you do not want to tell tales, I can tell you anything I know about the swamp, for a fair price!"

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Scene LXIV - Hwyrlen, Flaurmont 24th day, 993 AC

Sam gives some money to Mirko to know a bit more, discovering there are about 15 miles from Port Bright to the Shires trough caymen territory. Caymen supposedly are not too hostile, so the walk is not considered too dangerous. Mirko himself does not plan to go to the Shires before about one week, but is willing to bring you if you have not found passage by then, for a fair price obviously.
By late morning you are almost arrived to Port Bright when the ship slows down and Mirko approaches the gunnel to speak with someone.
You go too and in the waters you see some creatures which resemble humanoid seals. Mirko speak with them at lenght, then apparently they exchange some goods.
"Sealfolks. Captain has a trade with them. Some say they are cursed humans or halfling, but friendly enough for us", the scarred Second says.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:33 pm

"I seriously doubt they could be halfling", Sam says.
Anyway the encounter soon ends and the ship resumes its voyage, unless you see half hidden on the coast of half submerged trees and rocks, a village of stilt houses, two docks and six small watch towers.
"My beloved Port Bright, welcome! We have a tavern and inn, the Croc's Nest, a leather working shop, an alchemy shop and there is even a small ship builder workshop. No other ship now beside mine as you can see, but soon one will arrive. Enjoy your stay!", Mirko says merrily.
The ship arrives at the dock and soon you can disembark.
"I think we should go at the tavern, take a look around?", Kesh says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:42 pm

I agree and let's be cautious. Things have been going too smoothly...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:24 pm

We should look for a guide... If it's only 15 miles and the inhabitants are not hostile, we can easily go by foot and avoid waiting for a ship which may come or not.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:26 pm

"Well we have to spend at least a night here, see the tavern, find a guide eventually. But I vote to wait for a halfling ship. I can deal with any hin, pirate or not, and trust them better than swamp dwellers", Sam says.
"We can be found here by the Iron Ring, as from what Mirko said, they visit his port too. Maybe is better to leave this place tomorrow at dawn. But I agree we should vote on this, walk or ship?", Kesh says.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”