Recruiting for [Whiteleaf] (3.5)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
willpell
Black Dragon

Recruiting for [Whiteleaf] (3.5)

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm

With our shiny new server, and a two month period of unemployment finally close to ending (I hope), I have the campaign-running bug settling in pretty seriously, and wanted to see if there would be any interest. The game would use 3.5 rules, with a few explicit houserules and a lot of spot-rulings to fix documented issues (often incorporated into flavor, with complications allowing you to earn the privilege of using the broken cheese after all, but only in appropriate circumstances). It is based in my Whiteleaf setting, which I've attempted to describe with little success in the past; for now, think of it as the Forgotten Realms with a self-aware, genre-savvy, idealized quasi-American government in place of its feudal lords, fewer stupid monsters, and ten times less of "the wizard always wins". Let me know if anyone is interested, or what I would have to do to *get* you interested.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Recruiting for [Whiteleaf] (3.5)

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm using a marble as my crystal ball, and I still saw that one coming. I'm still a little sore at you for derailing my gods thread, but I'll try not to let it get to me. What sort of game were you interested in? I was tentatively planning to blow the world up with an Elder Evil, sort of clear out my old ideas and start fresh.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:48 pm
I'm using a marble as my crystal ball, and I still saw that one coming. I'm still a little sore at you for derailing my gods thread, but I'll try not to let it get to me. What sort of game were you interested in? I was tentatively planning to blow the world up with an Elder Evil, sort of clear out my old ideas and start fresh.
Sorry that I derailed your thread. I'm trying harder to be less of an annoyance and a pain-in-the-rear. I'll likely play an elf, though class I'm not sure of yet...that will depend on the resources you make available. Is this Core Rules only? Are there any homebrew base classes for Whiteleaf? If necessary I can play a fighter, but I generally prefer something with a little more leeway for character/skill customization.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Elf sounds good. Definitely not just core. Play any class you like, within reason.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm

willpell wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm
Elf sounds good. Definitely not just core. Play any class you like, within reason.
So, what are you thinking?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:31 am

Leaning towards Duskblade.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:00 am

Ok, not a class I'm super familiar with, but I can probably deal. As I recall, the book it came in doesn't really give it enough spells long term, and in particular the number of cantrips you pick for your Spells Known is roughly the same as the number of cantrips that exist on the class's spell list. That's a pretty minor issue, but I haven't looked at the class much past level two.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Any further progress on character creation?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 pm

I'll be honest, I've put off developing the character until there's more interest in this game.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Ah, well, I'm not certain we can count on anyone else in this community taking an interest.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:40 am

Honestly, I spent two solid years running nothing but one-player games (the party was intended to get together, but with everyone posting at a different rate, it would only have bogged them all down if some of them had been stuck in the same game with the others, so I just kept them all in their individual "prologues"). It works better for online. I think you should go ahead and make a character; I've gone to the effort of studying how the Duskblade works so that I could build a campaign around a Duskblade character (although I may change the class's name for in-character purposes, if I can come up with one I like better), and it'd be a shame if it didn't actually happen.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:50 am

Well if I'm going to play in one-on-one game, I'd prefer to gestalt....my preference would be an human rogue/cleric.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 am

I don't use gestalt rules. I could allow you to use a really OP prestige class, but even just a single-classed cleric is tier 1 if built right (not as a healbot, obviously). If you don't approve of how bad the cleric is with regard to skills, the cloistered cleric gets only slightly fewer skill points than the rogue, and while not able to take skills like Open Lock, he can take all Knowledges.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am

OK fine, you can gestalt a Cleric Rogue, just this once. Your god can be Oggravant the Defiant, he breaks all the rules anyway.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 am

Hmm, maybe. I'll think about it and get back to you. I'll check in again after the weekend.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”