Most people in the civilized lands take much for granted. They have their printing press, a postal network that allows instantaneous delivery from one side of the continent to the other and other magical and technological amenities that make modern life much easier for the layperson. Also, most individuals that attend school have the potential to harness arcane power, even those that wouldn’t do well as pure wizards can harness this energy. Those that can have access to cantrips that can be used so that demeaning tasks can be accomplished without the need of them having them done through physical labor. But most importantly, these people have a governmental system that puts a roof over their heads no matter their station within society.
In the wilderness, there exist those that shirk the pleasantries of the civilized lands and find it quite disgusting. These nomads live in harmony with the land and only take what they need from it to survive. They have no roof over their head; instead they revel at living under the open sky. They are primitive, yes, but they are also stronger for this. They have honed their bodies and their mind to survive and to be able to fight off the terrors that lurk in the shadows. There is nothing more terrifying than suffering at the hands of or witnessing the wrath of a barbarian!
When they do fight they work up a frenzy that makes them quite indomitable combatants. While they are in this frenzy they fight recklessly and without regard for their physical well being. Fortunately for them their ability to frenzy, or rage as the class feature is called, gives them a psychotic insight. This insight provides them with a bonus to their Strength and Constitution scores and gives them a slightly higher resistance to effects that target their will. Until they reach fifteenth level all barbarians suffer a penalty to their armor class due to their reckless actions in combat.Alignment:
Any non-lawful.Hit Die:
To qualify to become a barbarian the character must fulfill the following criteria:Skills: Intimidate
5 ranks, Survival
5 ranksFeat: Alertness
& Self-SufficientClass Skills
The barbarian's class skills are Acrobatics
), Handle Animal
), Knowledge (Nature)
), Sense Motive
), and Swim
).Skill Ranks per Level:
4 + Int modifier.Class Features
All of the following are class features of the barbarian.Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Barbarians do not gain any proficiency with any armor or weapons.Brute (Ex):
Barbarians harbor an innate distrust of magic, even enchanted equipment. Barbarians make up for their lack of such tools through their affinity with nature, which bolsters their body against the harshness of the world and makes them stronger to overcome obstacles; the barbarian adds her Constitution modifier as bonus to her natural armor class as well as to all attack and damage rolls. At 2nd level and 4th level and then every three class levels thereafter the bonus granted increases by +1.
Attacks made by the barbarian ignore damage reduction as if their weapon is enchanted. If the barbarian ever uses any magic item they lose the bonus gained by this ability for 36 hours thereafter.
Further, your unarmed attacks deal lethal damage and your are treated as being in claw and bite attacks. Small races deal 1d4 bite and 1d3 claw, medium races deal 1d6 bite and 1d4 claw and large races deal 1d8 bite and 1d6 claw.Dauntless (Ex):
The bonus gained from Endurance increases to +8. In addition the Barbarian gains 2 additional hit points per class level gained.Rage (Ex):
The barbarian can call upon inner reserves of strength and ferocity, granting her additional combat prowess. Starting at 1st level, a barbarian can rage for a number of rounds per day equal to 12 + her Constitution modifier. At each level after 1st, she can rage for 2 additional rounds. Temporary increases to Constitution, such as those gained from rage and spells like bear’s endurance, do not increase the total number of rounds that a barbarian can rage per day. A barbarian can enter rage as a free action. The total number of rounds of rage per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.
While in rage, a barbarian gains a +4 morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, she takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the barbarian 2 hit points per Hit Dice, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in rage, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.
The barbarian can end her rage as a free action and is fatigued after raging for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in the rage. The barbarian cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted but can otherwise enter rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If the barbarian falls unconscious, her rage immediately ends, placing her in peril.Rage Powers (Ex):
As a barbarian gains levels, she learns to use her rage in new ways. Starting at 1st level, a barbarian gains a rage power
. She gains another rage power at the levels indicated on her class progression table. A barbarian gains the benefits of rage powers only while raging, and some of these powers require the barbarian to take an action first. Unless otherwise noted, a barbarian cannot select an individual power more than once.
Primal Scream (Su):
- Clear Mind (Ex): A barbarian may reroll a failed Will save. This power is used as an immediate action after the first save is attempted, but before the results are revealed by the GM. The barbarian must take the second result, even if it is worse. A barbarian must be at least 8th level before selecting this power. This power can only be used once per rage.
- Fearless Rage (Ex): While raging, the barbarian is immune to the shaken and frightened conditions. A barbarian must be at least 12th level before selecting this rage power.
- Guarded Stance (Ex): The barbarian gains a +1 dodge bonus to her Armor Class against melee attacks for a number of rounds equal to the barbarian's current Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This bonus increases by +1 for every 6 levels the barbarian has attained. Activating this ability is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
- Damage Reduction (Ex): The barbarian gains damage reduction 1/—. A barbarian can select this rage power up to ten times, each time increasing her DR by +1 while raging.
- Internal Fortitude (Ex): While raging, the barbarian is immune to the sickened and nauseated conditions. A barbarian must be at least 8th level before selecting this rage power.
- Knockback (Ex): Once per round, the barbarian can make a bull rush attempt against one target in place of a melee attack. If successful, the target takes damage equal to the barbarian's Strength modifier and is moved back as normal. The barbarian does not need to move with the target if successful. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): The barbarian's senses sharpen and she gains low-light vision while raging.
- Mighty Swing (Ex): The barbarian automatically confirms a critical hit. This power is used as an immediate action once a critical threat has been determined. A barbarian must be at least 7th level before selecting this power. This power can only be used once per rage.
- Moment of Clarity (Ex): The barbarian does not gain any benefits or take any of the penalties from rage for 1 round. Activating this power is a swift action. This includes the penalty to Armor Class and the restriction on what actions can be performed. This round still counts against her total number of rounds of rage per day. This power can only be used once per rage.
- Night Vision (Ex): The barbarian's senses grow incredibly sharp while raging and she gains darkvision 60 feet. A barbarian must have low-light vision as a rage power or a racial trait to select this rage power.
- No Escape (Ex): The barbarian can move up to double her normal speed as an immediate action but she can only use this ability when an adjacent foe uses a withdraw action to move away from her. She must end her movement adjacent to the enemy that used the withdraw action. The barbarian provokes attacks of opportunity as normal during this movement. This power can only be used once per rage.
- Powerful Blow (Ex): The barbarian gains a +1 bonus on a single damage roll. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the barbarian has attained. This power is used as a swift action before the roll to hit is made. This power can only be used once per rage.
- Quick Reflexes (Ex): While raging, the barbarian can make one additional attack of opportunity per round.
- Raging Climber (Ex): When raging, the barbarian adds her level as an enhancement bonus on all Climb skill checks.
- Raging Leaper (Ex): When raging, the barbarian adds her level as an enhancement bonus on all Acrobatics skill checks made to jump. When making a jump in this way, the barbarian is always considered to have a running start.
- Raging Swimmer (Ex): When raging, the barbarian adds her level as an enhancement bonus on all Swim skill checks.
- Renewed Vigor (Ex): As a standard action, the barbarian heals 1d8 points of damage + her Constitution modifier. For every four levels the barbarian has attained above 4th, this amount of damage healed increases by 1d8, to a maximum of 5d8 at 20th level. A barbarian must be at least 4th level before selecting this power. This power can be used only once per day and only while raging.
- Rolling Dodge (Ex): The barbarian gains a +1 dodge bonus to her Armor Class against ranged attacks for a number of rounds equal to the barbarian's current Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This bonus increases by +1 for every 6 levels the barbarian has attained. Activating this ability is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
- Roused Anger (Ex): The barbarian may enter a rage even if fatigued. While raging after using this ability, the barbarian is immune to the fatigued condition. Once this rage ends, the barbarian is exhausted for 10 minutes per round spent raging.
- Scent (Ex): The barbarian gains the scent ability while raging and can use this ability to locate unseen foes (see Special Abilities for rules on the scent ability).
- Superstition (Ex): The barbarian gains a +3 morale bonus on saving throws made to resist spells, supernatural abilities, and spell-like abilities. This bonus increases by +1 for every 3 levels the barbarian has attained. While raging, the barbarian cannot be a willing target of any spell and must make saving throws to resist all spells, even those cast by allies.
- Surprise Accuracy (Ex): The barbarian gains a +1 morale bonus on one attack roll. This bonus increases by +1 for every 4 levels the barbarian has attained. This power is used as a swift action before the roll to hit is made. This power can only be used once per rage.
- Swift Foot (Ex): The barbarian gains a 5-foot enhancement bonus to her speed. This increase is always active while the barbarian is raging. A barbarian can select this rage power up to three times. Its effects stack.
- Unexpected Strike (Ex): The barbarian can make an attack of opportunity against a foe that moves into any square threatened by the barbarian, regardless of whether or not that movement would normally provoke an attack of opportunity. This power can only be used once per rage. A barbarian must be at least 8th level before selecting this power.
At 3rd level, the barbarian can unleash a ferocious animal scream as a standard action that strikes terror into the heart of those that it. All creature within 60 feet of you must make a Will save (DC 10 +1 per three class levels you have + your Constitution modifier). Upon a failed save, any creature with fewer Hit Dice than you becomes frightened
, and those with Hit Dice equal to or greater than your own become shaken
. Shaken creatures do not become frightened because of this ability, nor do frightened ones become panicked.Greater Rage (Ex):
At 5th level, a barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at –2.Tireless Rage (Ex):
At 7th level and higher the barbarian no longer becomes fatigued at the end of her rage.Savage Beast (Ex):
When you make attacks with your natural weapons (bite or claw) you deal one extra die of damage, add a bonus to the damage equal to twice the amount of dice rolled (2 dice = +4 damage, etc) and you increase the critical range of them by +1.Mighty Rage (Ex):
At 11th level the barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during her rage each increase to +8, and her morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at –2.Vicious Varmint (Ex):
When you make attacks with your natural weapons (bite or claw) you deal two extra dice of damage and add a bonus to the damage equal to four times the amount of dice rolled (2 dice = +8 damage, etc) and you increase the critical range of them by an additional +2.Vicious Rage (Ex):
At 15th level the barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during her rage each increase to +10, and her morale bonus on Will saves increases to +6. The barbarian no longer suffers a penalty to her AC when raging.