Sarûniaspace

Blast the doors of fantasy wide open! Angel Tarragon's homebrew world.

Moderator: Angel Tarragon

Sarûniaspace

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Sarûniaspace
This is a work in progress...
More info will trickle in as I delve further into revealing more about the sphere

Sphere Contents
Red Sun (Primary)
Helatia (Hell-A-SHE-UH)
Caerwyn (KAY-AIR-WIN)
Jraenor (JUH-RAY-EHN-ORE)
Sholnara (SCHOLL-NAR-UH)
Grenoriv (GR-ENN-ORE-IHV)
Aerea (A-ear-E-UH)
Moltaria (MOL-TAR-EE-UH)
Yellow Sun
Barexina (BUHR-EX-ENN-AH)
Ninachta (NIN-AK-TUH)
Drenaelea (DREN-AY-LEE-UH)
Tinorous (TIN-ORE-RE-ISS)
Sarûnia (SUH-RUNE-E-UH)
  • ? [world-moon satellite]
  • Areatia (AH-REE-SHEE-UH) [Air Moon]
  • Terania (T-EHR-A-NIA) [Earth Moon]
  • Magania (Muh-GAH-NIA) [Fire Moon]
  • Galatia (GUH-LAY-SHEE-UH) [Ice/Water moon]
Randojka (ran-doe-SHH-KUH)
Atheirre (Ay-TH-EE-air)
- Unnamed
- Unnamed
- Unnamed
- Unnamed
- Unnamed Asteroid Belt
- Unnamed
- Orpheus (The Rogue)

more unnamed objects to be added later.

Change Log

06/15/2011
- All unnamed fields left previously unnamed are now named
- Pronunciations included for all planets

6/30-31/2011
- Changed Sholnaras' climatology to be similar to Earth

8/15/2011
- Included Sarûnia's Moons

6/28/2012
- Added Randojka and Atheirre, added more unnamed fields
- There will be no more orbits added to the list, the system is done (the rest of the orbits/planets just need to be named)

07/07/12
- Named the final planetoid. It is a nod to Earth II scientific concept.

02/14/14
I'm not happy with the name of planetoid orbiting Sarûnia; it was Lasarnia, but now currently is unnamed.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Sarûniaspace

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Groundlings Primer
Very little is known about Sarûniaspace beyond the worlds sister moon-planet Lasarnia, and its four elemental moons. However what information is known isn't exactly a well guarded secret. Magic and technology make it possible to augur the breathless void between the suns and planets of the solar system. What is commonly known is that unlike other solar systems in the galaxy Sarûniaspace seems cut off as some kind of invisible shell encompasses everything within the system. What the purpose of the shell is for evades logical reasoning.

All groundlings know that the system has two suns; one red sun at the center of the sphere and a yellow sun quite some distance away from the first, with several planets orbiting around the first sun, one of which is populated by many of the same types of creatures that call Lasarnia and Sarûnia home. Magic has allowed for every planet to be catalogued by name, each one a variation on another or unique in it own right.

HELATIA
Helatia is an all terran world, completely devoid of moisture or atmosphere. The only beings that survive here are those that do not have the need to breathe or can draw sustenance from either stellar or basal fire energies.

CAERWYN
Caerwyn is a world that is baked in the rays of the suns between it. Temperatures are extremes, fluctuating wildly as the world rotates around the primary and at its high climax is exposed to both suns on both sides of the world. It ocasionally gets a reprieve during the summer as solar alignment mostly shields it from the suns, with only the polar caps being mostly exposed at the time.

It is ocasionally possible to survive here without extreme preparation, assuming that one knows the seasons of planet well enough or is lucky enough to make landfall during the pre and post summer months (during the fall and spring seasons).

JRAENOR
Jraenor is a hot world like Caerwyn, but due its thick atmosphere and relative position between the two suns, it doesn't suffer too much. Summers are tolerable in non-tropical temperature bands and winter months the tropical zone becomes near temperate; this fluctuation leaves not many places open for permanent settlements that can be tolerated at all times of the year and most of the world's population migrates to better weather acclimated conditions for the continued survival of those the call the world home.

SHOLNARA
Sholnara is a world that is much like Earth, except that is has an atmosphere that is twice as dense; this allows the world to function as though it is unaffected by it position between two suns. It is the same size as Earth and is almost identical in all aspects except for its atmosphere and hydrogaphy. The hydrography is 85%, which is 15% more than Earth standard, this direactly correlates into its atmoshphere, which helps to regulate the weather.

Sholnara is massively colonized, but the technology is a bit further advanced that Sarunia; they have developed the means to create artificial coral reefs and enclosed domed cities that dot the seascape of the world, but mostly only in areas that arent too tectonically active.

GRENORIV
Grenoriv is identital to Jraenor in respects to climate.

AEREA
Aerea is a unique world; it has two shells that encompass it, one effectively serving as an airlock, and another that provides immediate access to the world. Aerea has a very small landmass at its center of the second shell, about the size of the Earth's moon. The world has no hydrography to speak of that is known about and those that live on the landmass are tight lipped about revealing if it does.

Natives of Aerea are mostly adapted to surviving through means of flight, as though the landmass is small, but the size and density and pressure of the atmoshphere is ground-level Earth standard along the outer edge of the first shell, and as one decends to the landmass below, the atmospheric pressure decreases. Structures exist on the interior of the first shell, making the world world essentially inverted to land-walkers; they thrive in these stuctures and those that are capable of flight pretty much have total dominion over the landmass at the center of the second sphere and the airways in-between.

MOLTARIA
Moltaria is a world bathed in liquid magma, there is very little land that is untouched by it. Those that would be brave enough to try to make port on it need ample protection for both their ship and their physical well being. Making landfall and being protected aren't the only things that are cause for worry, the magma itself teems with life. Creatures native to basal fire energies are at home here and pose a threat to any that would be foolish enough to try create conflict with them.

Not only is Moltaria steaming with liquid lava, but it is also close to the second sun. The world is best avoided altogether during its ellipse when making its yearly rotation close to it.

BAREXNIA
Coming soon...

NINACHTA
Coming soon...

DRENAELEA
Coming soon...

TINOROUS
Coming soon...

SARÛNIA
Coming soon...

RANDOJKA
Randojka is a world that is exactly the same size as Mars. It is pretty much an Earth standard world. Randojka is primarily all ocean except for one landmass from which the world gets its name from.

Atheirre (Ay-TH-EE-air)
Atheirre is a huge air world and a gas giant. It has a violent atmosphere making exploration hazardous. Interplanetary vessels use Atheirre as a means to replenish their air supply by skimming the the top of the planets mesosphere.

More info coming very soon...
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Gamemasters.....
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Bestiary
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Miscellany...

Star Seeds
These are small rocks that look like gold, but are more yellowish in hue. They are warm to the touch and take two hands to fully cup in one's grasp. Star seeds radiate magic, epic magic. It is out of a players potential to create one unless they have surpassed 72nd level. Once per day a star seed allows a creature to use daylight and allows the use light an unlimited number of times per day. A star seeds true power though is in revitalizing a dying sun; when used in such a manner it must be slung at the star from a safe distance and then it is completely destroyed, returning the star to the state of a yellow hyper- or supergiant, whichever is most compliant in to the planetary ecosystem of the indigenous system population.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Before Big Mac jumps in on this, I think it is traditional to list Crystal Spheres in one name, so Sarûniaspace. At least he pestered me a bit when I tried to divide up Mystaraspace. ;)

Sounds like an ambitious project there TAD! Very cool! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Havard wrote:Before Big Mac jumps in on this, I think it is traditional to list Crystal Spheres in one name, so Sarûniaspace. At least he pestered me a bit when I tried to divide up Mystaraspace. ;)

Sounds like an ambitious project there TAD! Very cool! :)

Thanks. I am going to try to keep the information as generic as possible so that the system can be plugged right into any rule set. And I say with certainty that this is way less ambitious than Sarûnia itself.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Azaghal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 am

Awesome TAD! Can't wait to see more. :D
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 pm

From this point on I am not going to make a new post in this thread to announce updates, instead I'll keep people apprised via a thread in my Sarûnia sub-forum and Facebook. At some point I'll even delete this post.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:05 am

Just put in an order for the AD&D 2E book, the World Builder's Guidebook. As soon as I receive it, expect more updates here. In a couple of months I expect to be ordering a copy of the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide to complement it and help me flesh out the systems heavenly bodies.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:41 am

I'd like some replies regarding the info I've added to the groundlings primer.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Davane » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:56 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Just put in an order for the AD&D 2E book, the World Builder's Guidebook. As soon as I receive it, expect more updates here. In a couple of months I expect to be ordering a copy of the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide to complement it and help me flesh out the systems heavenly bodies.

I have a copy of the World Builder's Guidebook, and I must recommend it. I just wish people who would actually give a crap about what I do would pay enough attention to enable me to get my gaming stuff over to my new place. I don't need a washing machine - I WANT MY GAMING STUFF!!! (Stupid parents... :facepalm: )
Davane
Hobgoblin

Postby Azaghal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Just put in an order for the AD&D 2E book, the World Builder's Guidebook. As soon as I receive it, expect more updates here. In a couple of months I expect to be ordering a copy of the Dungeoneers Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide to complement it and help me flesh out the systems heavenly bodies.

All 3 have some excellent work in them. I know not every part is usable but definitely good stuff.

On another note I think you've got some great stuff going TAD. Can't wait until it gets more developed.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey TAD,

In an attempt to help figure out how large the sphere would be that contains Saruniaspace (for a Spelljammer type sphere) we will need to know the answers to the following questions:

1) What is the orbital configuration? I know there are 2 suns, but it seems like all planets (and maybe the second, yellow sun) orbit the first sun. Is this the case, or am I misreading this? Does anything orbit the yellow sun?

2) Again with regard to orbits, how far away from the central object are each of the orbiting objects? Keep in mind that with regard to Spelljammer, a distance of 100 million miles translates into 1 day of travel.

3) Typical Spelljamming spheres take the distance of the farthest orbiting object and then double that in order to find the distance to the crystal shell. So if the last planet in the system orbited the sun at a range of 2,000 million miles, the then sphere radius would be 4,000 million miles. This is not a hard rule however, and this distance can vary based on DM fiat.

EDIT:
oops, switched red and yellow suns...
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm going to whip out my Concordance book and have a look at Sol system later. I'll be able to put together a chart of travel times based on that.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:56 pm

Havard wrote:Before Big Mac jumps in on this, I think it is traditional to list Crystal Spheres in one name, so Sarûniaspace. At least he pestered me a bit when I tried to divide up Mystaraspace. ;)

Yep. "Acmespace" (with no CamelCase going on) is one convention. There is also another where you can call a sphere "The Acme Sphere". ("Clusterspace" follows that second convention as "The Astromundi Cluster" as well as having a "conventional" name. So maybe some other spheres could have two names.) I'm not sure if that would be helpful for Sarûniaspace.

@TAD: I see you have already renamed the first post, if you want the rest done, you can edit your own, but I'd be happy to put my moderator hat on and do the others.

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Havard wrote:Sounds like an ambitious project there TAD! Very cool! :)

Thanks. I am going to try to keep the information as generic as possible so that the system can be plugged right into any rule set. And I say with certainty that this is way less ambitious than Sarûnia itself.

It does look good. Are the planet names in the first thread going to link to posts that give more information on each world.

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:From this point on I am not going to make a new post in this thread to announce updates, instead I'll keep people apprised via a thread in my Sarûnia sub-forum and Facebook. At some point I'll even delete this post.

There is no need to delete your working out. It might be helpful to other people working on similar projects. But if you really want to work over in your subforum instead of here, one of the SJ moderators could move the post for you.

I'd personally suggest that it stays here, as it would be of interest to a number of SJ fans, but if you do want it moved, just use the report post button on your own first post, change the reason to other and ask for a thread move.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey TAD, were you able to figure out any travel times?

Another thing I'd love to see regarding Saruniaspace is a map of the planetary orbits. That will do a lot to bring this system to life for me.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:@TAD: I see you have already renamed the first post, if you want the rest done, you can edit your own, but I'd be happy to put my moderator hat on and do the others.

Done.

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Havard wrote:Sounds like an ambitious project there TAD! Very cool! :)

It does look good. Are the planet names in the first thread going to link to posts that give more information on each world.[/quote]
Eventually yes. Planets will get more detail after the basics of the system are fleshed out.

BTW, thanks guys. I needed a swift kick in the arse to get back to working on Sarûniaspace. I'll be picking up the PDF of Distant Worlds next month. That should help to ignite flurry of inspiration.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Chimpman wrote:Hey TAD, were you able to figure out any travel times?

Not yet. It's on my to-do list for today.

Chimpman wrote:Another thing I'd love to see regarding Saruniaspace is a map of the planetary orbits. That will do a lot to bring this system to life for me.

I suck at map making. I'll try to do a rough sketch.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Distances and Travel Times from The Primary (Red Sun)
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Cool, rough sketches will work. I just want to get an understanding of the relationship between both of the suns, as well as between the planets and each sun.

Also, I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but when I was trying to determine travel times for Pillarspace, I would always take into consideration the minimum and maximum distances that any two planets would ever be from each other. So for example, Pillar (the sun) was stationary at the center of the sphere. The first planet to orbit it is Hourus at 200 million miles (2 days travel from the sun). The second is Minutus at 400 million miles (4 days travel from the sun).

When the two planets are closest to one another it is a 2 day journey from Hourus to Minutus (or vice versa), but when they are farthest from one another it becomes a 6 day journey (with necessary travel past the sun). Thus (based on DM whim) I could set a travel time anywhere between 2 and 6 days from one planet to the other.

Anyway, that was the kind of thing that was on my mind when I was working up my own travel times. I wish I could post some images, but unfortunately I'm at work at the moment...

[ :mrgreen: I see you've already posted the times! Very cool!]
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Nice. I've had a chance to look over the numbers a bit. I'm assuming that the blanks are place holders for as yet unnamed planets?

Assuming that the last planet in the system is at 12,000 million miles, and that Saruniaspace holds up to standard Spelljammer conventions, that would put the crystal shell at 24,000 million miles. To give some comparison on nerik's Flow Map, Mystaraspace has a radius of roughly 14,000 million miles, so Saruniaspace would be just under twice its size. That's a big sphere, but definitely not the largest out there.

This would also mean that it could take anywhere from 14 to 42 days for someone entering the sphere to reach the outermost planet (depending on where they enter and where the planet is in its orbit related to that entry point, and assuming they know which direction to travel in ;) ). Likewise, to reach Sarunia from the sphere's shell would take anywhere from 20 to 36 days.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Chimpman wrote:Nice. I've had a chance to look over the numbers a bit. I'm assuming that the blanks are place holders for as yet unnamed planets?
Yuppers.

Chimpman wrote:That's a big sphere, but definitely not the largest out there.
That's what I was aiming for; big, but not the biggest.

Chimpman wrote:This would also mean that it could take anywhere from 14 to 42 days for someone entering the sphere to reach the outermost planet (depending on where they enter and where the planet is in its orbit related to that entry point, and assuming they know which direction to travel in ;) ). Likewise, to reach Sarunia from the sphere's shell would take anywhere from 20 to 36 days.
36 days. That's great how that works out as a full Sarûnia day is 36 hours.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Ahhh... crud. :oops: I got the 14000 number stuck in my head instead of the 12000 number. Revision:

Shell to outermost planet = 12 to 36 days
Shell to Sarunia = 16 to 32 days

At least the number 36 is still in there somewhere...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby nerik » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Chimpman wrote:Assuming that the last planet in the system is at 12,000 million miles, and that Saruniaspace holds up to standard Spelljammer conventions, that would put the crystal shell at 24,000 million miles. To give some comparison on nerik's Flow Map, Mystaraspace has a radius of roughly 14,000 million miles, so Saruniaspace would be just under twice its size. That's a big sphere, but definitely not the largest out there.

Actually Mystaraspace has a radius of 7,332 million miles, Sarûniaspace has a radius of 24,000 million miles, making it by far the largest sphere on the map.
(the largest sphere I've seen is one called 'Mathspace' which I found in the archives of the mailing list - it is 75,000 million miles in radius!)

Chimpman wrote:This would also mean that it could take anywhere from 14 to 42 days for someone entering the sphere to reach the outermost planet (depending on where they enter and where the planet is in its orbit related to that entry point, and assuming they know which direction to travel in ;) ). Likewise, to reach Sarunia from the sphere's shell would take anywhere from 20 to 36 days.

Actually, it would take at least 120 days (at 100 million miles per day) to travel from the crystal sphere to the outermost planet, assuming it was at its closest to the entry point.
nerik
Bionoid

Next

Return to Sarûnia