Languages

Blast the doors of fantasy wide open! Angel Tarragon's homebrew world.

Moderator: Angel Tarragon

Languages

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 am

Modifications might change this a little, but not drastically. Other racial languages need to be added based on the furry races.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Languages

Postby Justinov » Wed May 29, 2013 6:24 pm

I usually think that racial languages are a good starting point from the basis of a world, but with time some languages will take over by conquest or because of trade. Isolated groups might still speak an old languages, but as humans doesn't speak "human", so Orcs do not speak "Orc" if they are spread over the world. Only written languages can stay on an old form (like elvish could like our world sanskrit but still succumb to phonetic changes), but oral languages will quickly change with contact. So you would have some general diplomatic languages (aramaic in the persian empire, french), trading languages (english, saka on the silk road) or academic languages (greek, latin, today english).
Creatures that gets very old will be more conservative than creatures that do not live long. Planar creatures are much isolated so that could be more constant. In contact zones you would usually speak several languages.
Druidic is probably not a "language", but where you speak a certain Jargon in the common tongue that can make the meaning hard for outsiders. Just as for common people when they hear role players discuss on a train. "You had a good d20 roll that overcame his Armour Class causing a severe drop in hit points?" - it's english but what on earth does it mean?
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]
Justinov
Stone Giant

Re: Languages

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:46 am

Justinov wrote:I usually think that racial languages are a good starting point from the basis of a world, but with time some languages will take over by conquest or because of trade. Isolated groups might still speak an old languages, but as humans doesn't speak "human", so Orcs do not speak "Orc" if they are spread over the world. Only written languages can stay on an old form (like elvish could like our world sanskrit but still succumb to phonetic changes), but oral languages will quickly change with contact. So you would have some general diplomatic languages (aramaic in the persian empire, french), trading languages (english, saka on the silk road) or academic languages (greek, latin, today english).

Well in the case of Sarûnia orcs aren't spread all over the world, they control a region of land that borders the ancient yet collapsed Nagendra empire, which is now ruled by an intelligent and sapient dinosaur species as well as some of the devolved Nagendra descendants.

Orcs of course will be found elsewhere, but since they never took a stance at conquering beyond their current regional boundaries, they have no positions of authority elsewhere. In addition there are no subraces of orcs.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Sarûnia