Ghelspad Companion Roadmap

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
haazeven
Bugbear

Ghelspad Companion Roadmap

Post by haazeven » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 am

Hi all

After having published 6 volumes of my Ghelspad Companion on the Slarecian Vault (you can get volumes 1 to 3 for free, as these are pay-what-you-want), I decided it was time to make a complete edition gathering all materials and adding some more (like, a lot more). My goal is to reach at least 100 pages of content (the 6 volumes combined make up to 85 pages), and see how much I can go above that, if possible with 3 subclasses per class (not possible for all classes)...

In this post, I will keep track of my progress, and I will maybe post sneak peeks and previews. And of course, I will answer any questions or comments you have ;)

Current total page count: 100 and counting [started 85]

Classes: [37 pages, started 29]
- Barbarian: 5 subclasses and counting [started 1]
- Bard: 5 subclasses and counting [started 1]
- Cleric: 1 additional material + 1 subclass (no other planned yet)
- Druid: 1 additional material + 2 subclass / 3
- Fighter: 2 subclass / 3
- Monk: 1 subclass / 3
- Paladin: 1 subclass / 3
- Ranger: 2 subclasses / 3
- Rogue: 1 subclass / 3
- Sorcerer: 1 additional material + 0 subclass (none planned yet)
- Warlock: 1 additional material + 2 subclasses / 3
- Wizard: 1 subclass / 3

Character options [6 pages, started 4]
- Feats: 9 and counting [started 4]
- Poisons: 14 and counting
- Totems: 0 / 30

Spells [19 pages, started 17]
- Spells: 39 and counting [started 30]
- True rituals: 6 and counting [started 5]

Magic items [28 pages, started 25]
- Armors: 4 and counting
- Weapons: 7 and counting [started 5]
- Tattoos: 39 and counting [will probably stop there]
- Potions: 4 and counting [started 3]
- RIngs: 5 and counting [started 2]
- Rods: 7 and counting [started 4]
- Staffs: 6 and counting [started 5]
- Wands: 6 and counting [started 3]
- Wondrous items: 30 and counting [started 20]
Last edited by haazeven on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Ghelspad Companion Roadmap

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Where you have lines like "- Barbarian: 1 subclass / 3" does that mean you already have 1 subclass, but want to increase that to 3? Or does the "/3" mean something else?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Yes exactly. It means I have already fully written 1 out of the 3 subclasses that I would like to write (considering the fact that this target of 3 is totally arbitrary, and I chose it mostly because I believe I can achieve it). "and counting" means that I don't really care about how much material I write ;)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:42 am

Awesome! I look forward to hearing when this is available. Keep us posted.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 pm

That's the spirit ;)

First update, this week-end has been productive! I have completed a first pass of the Barbarian and Bard sections, and added a few feats. By completed I mean that a first draft of the text is written. It probably needs another pass of proof-reading, and I might get an editor on board to further polish the manuscript later on.

Barbarian
- Path of the Chieftain [inspires allies in battle, similar to a bard]
- Path of the Mauler [slitheren-only, player-oriented conversion of the Mauler Slitheren monster]
- Path of the Mountain Lord [two-handed weapons, earth-based abilities, from Ghelspad Companion 1]
- Path of the Nomad Archer [uses ranged weapons in close range, conversion of the Archer of the Steppes prestige class]
- Path of the Tempest [full DPS thing with a few variants, ideal for a Horseman of Vangal]

Bard
- College of Battle [directs enemy in battle, warlord-style]
- College of the Lamp [genie-magic, Intelligence-based]
- College of the Psalm [divine magic, Wisdom-based]
- College of the Silver String [effects against polymorphed creatures]
- College of the Siren [charms and enchantment, from Ghelspad Companion 4]

Feats
- Albinos [slitheren, Charisma-based leadership features]
- Tainted Vermin [aka slitheren sub-races]
- Tattooed Warrior [because barbarians should not be the only one to be able to fight topless]

Is there any one thing that you would like to see as a preview?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:30 pm

haazeven wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Is there any one thing that you would like to see as a preview?
As a big fan of Al-Qadim, the notion of a College of the Lamp immediately intrigued me. I can't recall it having been done before in other settings, either. Al-Qadim had rawunin, but they weren't connected to genies. I vote for that!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 am

Is this for 5E or PF?

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am

5E, I'm a 5E guy ^^ Thereotically, the Slarecian Vault is open for PF, but I haven't seen anyone publish for PF yet... I'll show the College of the Lamp when I'm back home (I'm in travel right now)

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Here it is! Feedback is welcome, this is (probably) not the final version of the beast ;)

College of the Lamp

Lore: Genies have permeated all aspects of the Elzian and Zathiskan culture, and music and storytelling are no exceptions. Bards of the lamp tell stories of miracles and artifice, and many serve as warnings against their charms and illusions. This tradition has its roots in southern Ghelspad, and is the most influential in Zathiske, Shelzar, the Ukrudan Desert and the neighboring regions. In Hollowfaust, bards that are not affiliated with the Chorus of the Banshee or the Sower of Fears generally follow this tradition.

Bonus Proficiencies
Starting at 3rd level when you join this college, you can speak, read and write Primordial. You also gain proficiency with two skills of your choice among Arcana, History, Insight and Investigation.

Primordial Arcana
At 3rd level, you can choose one Genie Monarch SLPG warlock’s otherwordly patron from the Dao Khan, the Djinn Calliph, the Efreet Sultan, or the Marid Parisha. You can prepare a number of spells equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum one spell), which you must choose from the expanded spell list of your Genie Monarch.

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of spells require time spent in meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

You can cast any spell that you have prepared this way as a ritual if the spell has the ritual tag.

Enlightening Tale
Starting at 6th level, you have learned so many tales of deceit and treachery that nothing can fool you anymore. You gain proficiency with Intelligence saving throws. When you use your Countercharm class feature, creatures affected by it also gain advantage on all saving throws and Intelligence (Investigation) checks against illusion effects.

Secrets of the Lamp
When you reach 14th level, you learn the contact other plane spell. It is a bard spell for you and doesn’t count against the number of bard spells you know. When you cast contact other plane, you can spend one use of Bardic Inspiration to benefit from one of the following effects of your choice. You must choose which effect applies after making your Intelligence saving throw, but before you ask any question.

• You can roll your Bardic Inspiration die and add the result to your Intelligence saving throw, possibly transforming a failure into a success.
• You can roll your Bardic Inspiration die. The result becomes the number of questions that you can ask the entity.
• You can roll your Bardic Inspiration die. You can only ask one question, but the entity must provide a detailed answer, using as many words necessary, to a maximum equal to ten times the result of the roll.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks for sharing! I like the flavor for the abilities. The 6th level ability could use a bit more "oomph." Compared to the ability granted other bardic colleges, it feels underwhelming to me. The spells granted based on the patron is a cool idea. If I'm reading this right, you'd get no additional spell slots, so you'd have more spell options without being able to cast more spells than other bards -- seems about right.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks for the comments ;) You are right, the 3rd level ability doesn't provide additional spell slots. It is similar to the 6th level College of Lore ability, with the difference that you can probably "learn" more spells, but from a more limited spell list.

As for the 6th level ability, I see what you mean. I am hesitating to replace Int saving throws with Wis saving throws (much more useful, but I find it a little bit far from the theme of the class). Maybe add a new way to enhance inspiration die. Not sure which route to go yet ^^

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am

haazeven wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:17 pm
As for the 6th level ability, I see what you mean. I am hesitating to replace Int saving throws with Wis saving throws (much more useful, but I find it a little bit far from the theme of the class). Maybe add a new way to enhance inspiration die. Not sure which route to go yet ^^
I like the idea of playing off the inspiration die. I don't have a concrete suggestion either, but it feels like it could be a good direction to consider.

When I think about genies, conjuration spells are what immediately come to mind. Whether it's and old Sinbad movie, Disney's Aladdin, or I Dream of Jeannie, the genies in pop culture most often cause something to appear from nothing. Transmutation is a close second. Maybe those themes could help liven up the 6th level ability.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:04 am

Yes, I thought about conjuration too, but the problem is that these are generally 4th or 5th level spells or even higher, so it doesn't make sense to give something at 6th level that you wouldn't use a few levels later... Tbh I am not fond of that gap between college features, you jump from 6th level directly to 14th level, I find it slightly annoying from a design perspective... Especially that the 10th level bard feature is not that exciting... But well, I guess we have to make do with it ^^'

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Life has been quite a bitch this week, so the weekly update isn't as good as I would have liked. Still, I managed to add the following

Spells
- Bloodblade (creates secondary blade that deals necrotic damage)
- Ethereal Spark (intense light in the ethereal plane)
- Launcher (area that launches creatures in the air)
- Primal Shot (uses spellcasting ability for ranged weapon attack)
- Recall Weapon (recall thrown weapon) [the first cantrip in the book!]
- Seeking Shot (fires arrows on creatures out of sight)
- Stampede (causes beasts to be frightened)
- Air Pocket (repels water and gases)
- Arcane Flow (reduces spell resistance)

True rituals
- Healing Pyre (death and rebirth by fire)

Magic items
- Ethereal Rod (see ethereal plane, bring ethereal creature to material plane)
- Ring of Warning (prevents surprise)
- Wand of Misplaced Trust (takes the appearance of a creature that the target wants to meet)
- Boots of Defenestration (forces a creature to continue its movement)
- Cloak of Evasion (move before being attacked by area of effects)
- Cloak of First Impression (charms creatures the first time you see it)
- Floating Boots (gently floats on the air)
- Map of Localization (indicates position of locations or creatures on the map)
- Pocket Guardian (bites creatures that try to steal from you)

Haven't been able to write all the Lore sections for these though... Maybe this week-end?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:12 am

Some of these sound like they'll come in quite handy. And considering this was Thanksgiving week, it's no surprise that you didn't get as much done as you would've liked. Hope you had a great holiday!

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Haha, I should change my location, I don't live in the US anymore, so last week wasn't a holiday (I wish it was...)
Some of these sound like they'll come in quite handy.
Yes, I try to write spells and magic items that complement nicely the existing ones in the core rules. Which is actually more difficult than expected, given that the PHB covers already plenty of magical effects that one would expect in a fantasy setting ^^

In other news, I actually hit the 100 pages mark today, yeah! I've updated the first post

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:04 am

haazeven wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 pm
Haha, I should change my location, I don't live in the US anymore, so last week wasn't a holiday (I wish it was...)
Where do you live, these days?
haazeven wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 pm
In other news, I actually hit the 100 pages mark today, yeah! I've updated the first post
Congratulations on the milestone!

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 pm

I moved back to France ^^

Stupid question, do the following names sound Scarred-Landy enough? (these are the names of new minor/dead deities)

- Dalbei
- Dilris
- Kerthera
- Merinwara
- Perdan

Also, which one sound more like gods (male) and which one sound more like goddesses (female)?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:34 am

haazeven wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 pm
Stupid question, do the following names sound Scarred-Landy enough? (these are the names of new minor/dead deities)

- Dalbei
- Dilris
- Kerthera
- Merinwara
- Perdan

Also, which one sound more like gods (male) and which one sound more like goddesses (female)?
It's not a stupid question at all, but keep in mind this is just one fan's opinion. I think they all sound Scarred-Landy, based on my recollection of characters and deity names in the novels.

I think Dalbei and Perdan sound like male names. Dilris could be either gender. Kerthera and Merinwara sound female.

It might be worth creating polls to get others' opinion on this, though.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks! The opinion of fans is important, since Scarred Lands fans are the target audience ^^

I just noticed that Merinwara sounds suspiciously like marejuana, which is a rather unfortunate coincidence... I do need to change that name...

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:37 am

haazeven wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 am
I just noticed that Merinwara sounds suspiciously like marejuana, which is a rather unfortunate coincidence... I do need to change that name...
I hadn't noticed that either. Good catch!

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Once you have noticed it, you can't unnotice it back...

No update this week as I was writing for something else (that should be up this week on the Slarecian Vault)

Return to “Scarred Lands”