Does anyone have experience with Pathfinder SL?

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Does anyone have experience with Pathfinder SL?

Post by Princess Strega »

I am largely curious about this. The setting was my first introduction to worlds beyond the WotC Prime Material. Third edition and the OGL made a lot of worlds accessible to a lot of people, but Scarred Lands was the first to see light of day. I am wondering how well does the Pathfinderization of the setting hold up to the original material? How does it feel in play as a GM or a player? If you have experience using Scarred Lands using Pathfinder (the official material, not homebrewed conversions), please regale me with your stories as well as what you think of the setting has changed for the better or worse with updating it to Pathfinder.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Does anyone have experience with Pathfinder SL?

Post by Big Mac »

I remember the Pathfinder stuff coming out.

The Scarred Lands Kickstarter funded both 5e D&D and Pathfinder versions.

I was mostly interested in seeing Scarred Lands come back into print...and also interested in new content (rather than conversions of existing material). So I don't directly have an answer to your question.

There was some sad news with the conversion, as Stewart Wieck, who set up the Kickstarter and who was the owner of Nocturnal Media suffered a fatal heart attack, after the project was funded, but before it was delivered.

Richard Thomas took over the project (and ensured it was delivered) but with Stewart not being around to sing the praises of the setting and do lots of interviews, I think it had a smaller footprint than it might have otherwise.

I made the Book House pages for the 3e Scarred Lands products and some of the books had insanely long lists of credits. (I think they must have literally got people to design individual monsters for some books).

So there must have been a lot of people in the 3e Scarred Lands design team who had not spoken to all the other designers.

That means that this Kickstarter would have been an excellent opportunity to tie up any loose ends...or make plot hooks that connect one book with other books.

So I hope that someone who has played this version surfs by and shares their opinions.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

I've read the novels (and am waiting for the new series to continue), but haven't played in SL. I'm interested to follow the discussion here.

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice »

Also with pathfinder 2e announced right after scarred lands pathfinder edition launched I'm not sure if they are wanting to put a bunch of work to convert it all again.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Cliffrice wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:09 pm
Also with pathfinder 2e announced right after scarred lands pathfinder edition launched I'm not sure if they are wanting to put a bunch of work to convert it all again.
I recently heard an interview with Travis Legge on Table Top Babble. He's the line developer for Scarred Lands. It sounds like he has quite a bit of 5e experience, but he didn't mention PF2. So it could be that they're constrained by the skill set of their designers. It may be a slew of other things, like lack of financial incentive, too.

Return to “Scarred Lands”