Scarred Lands 5E & PF1E PWYW

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Scarred Lands 5E & PF1E PWYW

Post by Princess Strega »

Have you been waiting for the perfect opportunity to give the Scarred Lands a try? The Scarred Lands Player's Guide and The Wise & The Wicked are Pay-What-You-Want only until Monday morning!

Player's Guide [D&D 5E] / Player's Guide [PF1E]
The Wise & The Wicked [D&D 5E] / The Wise & The Wicked [PF1E]

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Scarred Lands 5E & PF1E PWYW

Post by shesheyan »

What makes Scarred Lands unique as a fantasy setting?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

I haven't played using the setting, but having read the novels, the "present" is a time that would often be ancient history in many settings. The gods were walking the world, warring with one another, within the lifetime of the longer-lived races. They still remember when they fought a battle alongside their deity. The world is in this post-post-apocalyptic period now, where it's rebuilding after all of the destruction of the war, but the signs are still everywhere.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:46 am
I haven't played using the setting, but having read the novels, the "present" is a time that would often be ancient history in many settings. The gods were walking the world, warring with one another, within the lifetime of the longer-lived races. They still remember when they fought a battle alongside their deity. The world is in this post-post-apocalyptic period now, where it's rebuilding after all of the destruction of the war, but the signs are still everywhere.
I can see how that was a novel idea a the time (d20 era).
I saw the book on the shelves of the gaming store but never picked it up.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:05 pm
Have you been waiting for the perfect opportunity to give the Scarred Lands a try? The Scarred Lands Player's Guide and The Wise & The Wicked are Pay-What-You-Want only until Monday morning!
Thanks for sharing this, Angel.

I got told by a game designer, that you can use the Pay What You Want system as a "try before you buy" system, where you can buy something for free, see if you like it and then buy it again, and pay what you think it is worth. So if anyone is thinking about Scarred Lands, they should grab these, read them and then decide if they want to keep them.

It looks like they have Print on Demand on Pay What You Want too, but I can't see DriveThru doing PoD copies for free. :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Downloaded!

Thanks! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:22 pm
What makes Scarred Lands unique as a fantasy setting?
Scarred Lands was actually the first 3rd Party Publisher campaign setting, to support the 3rd Edition SRD. There are pros and cons to that.

The cons are that Scarred Lands had to be crashed out to beat the competition. That might mean that some of the early products might look a bit suboptimal to you or that there might not have been time for all the designers to collaborate fully and ensure they were not creating continuity errors.

The pros are that Scarred Lands had a super-long development cycle that lasted throughout the entire 3.0 and 3.5 product run. There was plenty of time for designers to build things from the ideas of other designers and Scarred Lands developed enough to get a sub-setting (a different continent).

The main theme is that t here were a bunch of titans that created the world (Scarn) and then the created gods and then the gods and titans fought and the gods won. The Scarred Lands are scarred from these battles. The world kind of evolved over the course of the early products and some of the design credits are insanely long 15-20 designers for one book).

I would suggest you grab all of these now, and work out if you like it later.

There is a Scarred Lands forum at The Piazza (it's been here for years) if you have questions.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:04 pm
The main theme is that t here were a bunch of titans that created the world (Scarn) and then the created gods and then the gods and titans fought and the gods won. The Scarred Lands are scarred from these battles.
That is not very unique. It's very Greek. I guess the uniqueness comes from the treatment of the setting. Grabbed the PDFs.

Return to “The Wishing Well”