The Slarecian Vault is open

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
haazeven
Bugbear

The Slarecian Vault is open

Post by haazeven »

Onyx Path started (without any official message yet, which is relatively weird, but well) the community content program for the Scarred Lands, that they called the Slarecian Vault, wouhou!

I have to say I need a little bit of help there. They provided templates for 5E *here* and Pathfinder *here*, but these are inDesign templates, which is a software that I don't have and that I don't intend to buy... I asked them if they could provide PDF examples of each template, but it seems they didn't reply...

Could there be a generous soul around there that have inDesign that could provide me with a PDF example? If I can see a PDF version of it I can reproduce the template with my tool of choice ;)
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Slarecian Vault is open

Post by Big Mac »

haazeven wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm
Onyx Path started (without any official message yet, which is relatively weird, but well) the community content program for the Scarred Lands, that they called the Slarecian Vault, wouhou!
Actually they put a Do you dare enter the Slarecian Vault? article up today (apparently at 2.16pm). I'm not sure what timezone they posted that in.

They previously mentioned it in their Monday Lunch Meeting Notes Notes [Monday Meeting Notes] post.
haazeven wrote:
I have to say I need a little bit of help there. They provided templates for 5E *here* and Pathfinder *here*, but these are inDesign templates, which is a software that I don't have and that I don't intend to buy... I asked them if they could provide PDF examples of each template, but it seems they didn't reply...
They also have a Slarecian Vault page, that introduces the program and a Slarecian Vault FAQ on the DriveThru RPG website.

From what I can tell, from that last link, this is some sort of generic "DMs Guild replacement" service that DriveThru lets multiple publishers sign up to. The Content Guidelines for Community Content Programs page has 15 programs on (including the Scarred Lands one).

The Scarred Lands program also has the number "19" in the URL. If you hack that URL and change the number, you get to pages for the other 14 programs, and you can also find 5 dead pages (suggesting that DriveThru RPG have five of these programs in mothballs or in a pre-launch stage).
haazeven wrote:
Could there be a generous soul around there that have inDesign that could provide me with a PDF example? If I can see a PDF version of it I can reproduce the template with my tool of choice ;)
One thing to bear in mind (format wise) is that that website is run by DriveThru RPG/RPG Now, and you need to format your documents to their satisfaction, to get them uploaded for sale.

So, even if someone gives you a PDF, it might not help you. You might find you make documents that get rejected, because they don't comply with some sort of formatting rules you don't know about.

I would suggest you go to DriveThru RPG (not Onyx Path) with your questions. They will be earning money out of people like you, so would be more likely to answer.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven »

Yeah, I know, in my excitement my reaction was a little bit overreacting ^^' It's just that I was expecting some of these announcements to come earlier :P

I have published a couple of documents in PWYW, and I have few more in the works. So far DriveThru hasn't complained about the formatting, so I should be OK (I hope)...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I see there are 80 items in the Slarecian Vault store now.

How does it compare to DMs Guild? Are Onyx Path Publishing just leaving creators to get on with it, or are they working with any of the Slarecian Vault creators to help them get things right.

Has anyone gone on to work for Onyx Path Publishing, after doing Slarecian Vault products and getting noticed?
haazeven wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 pm
I have published a couple of documents in PWYW, and I have few more in the works. So far DriveThru hasn't complained about the formatting, so I should be OK (I hope)...
Don't forget that if you are ever selling something, you can post a topic about it in The Wishing Well. That's The Piazza's industry news forum, so you can drop a topic every time you put up a different thing.

I spoke to someone once, who was using Pay What You Want. And he was using PWYW as a "try before you buy" system, telling people to buy his stuff for $0.00, take a look at it...and then buy it again, for whatever they wanted to pay. (And he had something in the actual product, telling people that they could have his stuff for free, but if they wanted to see more stuff from him, they should go back and buy it again, for what they thought was a fair price.) He thought that strategy would get more people to try his downloads (and then pay him for them). I don't know if something like that would work for you.

As for formatting, one area where you might need to step up your game is if you build Slarecian Vault products that are large enough to be sold in a Print on Demand format. It looks like you have 8 volumes in your Ghelspad Companion series. That's got to be reaching a viable size for compilation into a hardback book. (I am not saying that you should do that, by the way. But it looks like a publishing option that might be open to you, and I'm pretty sure that formatting is slightly more tricky for Print on Demand products.)

Anyhoo congratulations on having your name on 10 of the 80 Slarecian Vault products. That's one in eight! Are you the person with the most Slarecian Vault titles?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ketinas
Goblin

Post by Ketinas »

There's several communities for Scarred Lands creators - on Facebook, Discord, and Forums. There's also free content that creators can download from the Slarecian Vault that includes templates, graphics, fonts, and most things you need to make your own content. It's pretty cool. We put out a Calendar for the Scarred Lands and are now working on our second title (plus 5e Serpent Amphora book that I had a tiny hand in).

The creators are help each other, although Travis Legge has been, by far, the best help. I know he used to write Slarecian Vault content before becoming their new Line Developer (and obviously still does), but I don't know if the two are directly related. He's super busy, so I try not to bug him too much (which I hope the other creatives hold back on too because I worry about him getting enough sleep!)

I can say that, as someone who has both official and Vault materials, there's a huge difference between the two. The Vault gives us a lot more control, freedom, and ownership, but oh the formatting you have to do!! If feels like most of the work I've done on our new module isn't the writing, it's the fiddling!
Sarah L. "Ketina" Stewart
Author and game designer for the Scarred Lands by Onyx Path Publishing.
Vigilant: Book One of Through Shadows and Dreams can be found here
https://www.drivethrufiction.com/produc ... rs_id=4261 and my personal web site is at http://www.morelikethisindustries.com/.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Ketinas wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 am
I can say that, as someone who has both official and Vault materials, there's a huge difference between the two. The Vault gives us a lot more control, freedom, and ownership, but oh the formatting you have to do!! If feels like most of the work I've done on our new module isn't the writing, it's the fiddling!
This is fascinating insight. So the trade-off is more creative control over content you create for the Vault, but at the expense of having to deal with all of the layout on your own?

Ketinas
Goblin

Post by Ketinas »

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:27 am
Ketinas wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 am
This is fascinating insight. So the trade-off is more creative control over content you create for the Vault, but at the expense of having to deal with all of the layout on your own?
That's part of it, but it's not that simple. Vigilant is also canon (for the updated setting at least) and the Slarecian Vault releases are not considered "canon" (although it's an RPG setting, so what does canon even mean in this example? Everyone runs the world differently, and Vigilant even has a epilogue that lampshades that point).

There's more complexity beyond just the layout and canon issues, but I'm under NDA so I really shouldn't go into more detail than that. :)
Sarah L. "Ketina" Stewart
Author and game designer for the Scarred Lands by Onyx Path Publishing.
Vigilant: Book One of Through Shadows and Dreams can be found here
https://www.drivethrufiction.com/produc ... rs_id=4261 and my personal web site is at http://www.morelikethisindustries.com/.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Ketinas wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:27 pm
There's more complexity beyond just the layout and canon issues, but I'm under NDA so I really shouldn't go into more detail than that. :)
Fair enough. When you're able to talk about it, I hope you'll remember to come back and perform some thread necromancy. ;)

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven »

I haven't been here in a while ^^
How does it compare to DMs Guild? Are Onyx Path Publishing just leaving creators to get on with it, or are they working with any of the Slarecian Vault creators to help them get things right.
No idea, but I would imagine that slarecian vault products have a much lower number of sales compared to DMs Guild.
Has anyone gone on to work for Onyx Path Publishing, after doing Slarecian Vault products and getting noticed?
I am not 100% sure, but I think that Travis Legge used his first contributions to the Slarecian Vault as a "portfolio" to get his current position as Scarred Lands developer. I have noticed that many of the authors in the Yugman Companion and the Vigil Watch series have had a couple of titles in the SV as well.
As for formatting, one area where you might need to step up your game is if you build Slarecian Vault products that are large enough to be sold in a Print on Demand format.
I was planning to make a compilation at some point (probably when I finish what I started with the volume 8). As far as PoD goes, I admit that I am not 100% fond of the layout/graphical quality of this series (see below), soI am not sure that it would be wise to do it (or at least not without someone else coordinating the layout)
Are you the person with the most Slarecian Vault titles?
I believe that would be Travis Legge actually, but I am probably the second. But then I don't write adventures really, so there is that as well.
The Vault gives us a lot more control, freedom, and ownership, but oh the formatting you have to do!! If feels like most of the work I've done on our new module isn't the writing, it's the fiddling!
Yes, I found the layout/formatting to be the most annoying, especially given that I have zero skills in that regard (almost). I created a LaTeX template so that it would simplify this part (I haven't change the template since the first Ghelspad Companion I wrote, except for the different covers), which gives a clean and OK-ish layout (in my opinion), but clearly it is the part that is not so well done for me.

Return to “Scarred Lands”