Updating 3.0 monsters to 3.5

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Updating 3.0 monsters to 3.5

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Cliffrice wrote:
Cliffrice wrote:
Raneth wrote:Additionally, here is the originally Crown Naga that was submitted for Creature Collection II. The author intended it to be a giant multi-headed naga, but the editors used a different submission and then added the name to it.

I also noted in my 3.5 update that the Moon Daemon was originally meant to be a "wolf centaur," with the body of a woman instead of a wolf's head (sort of like a Lamia, a female centaur with a lion's body), rather than the more generic werewolfy version the book gave us. So I'm using that description instead to make it more interesting.

Also, in my last post I gave four different OGC equivalents to the Slaad (I would also like to mention that one could include the Varn from Ssethregore if one was so inclined, though I haven't been able to study them in detail). They weren't designed to be used together, but there's a quick and easy way to explain them all coexisting in Limbo (based on this suggestion on rpg.net): "brood" is the collective term for native races of Limbo, which exist along a continuum between the proteans, chaosiics and ogdoad. The proteans are the most chaotic, with their ever-shifting bodies, the chaosiics are moderately chaotic, with unique bodies made of random mismatched parts, and the ogdoad are the least chaotic, usually being fixed to a single form. The level of "chaos" in each has no bearing on their relative power. Any petitioner of Limbo will eventually become one of these races. Their leaders are the five Chaos Lords (also called brood lords and anarchs) and the Brood Queen.

I'll being reading on the Varn and the Illujan in the future. I don't know at this time how to fit the possessors and eldritch spawn into the Slarecian mythos.
They did the same thing to me. I submitted around 10 monsters and 3 made it into the book most were heavily changed. Maybe ill post the originals here for the halibut. anyone else have original monster that didn't make it in?
I have several that were changed and or omitted. I would love to share them in fact i started a Thread but noons seems interested in it.
It is never too late for a thread-bump, Cliff. ;)

You need to play "the long game" with settings that have a less high profile than others. Drop threads, with meaningful titles and great content and you never know when a random Scarred Lands will go searching for information and end up arriving in your thread. :)

I can not get that link for the original Crown Naga to load. It looks like the immortalshandbook.com website has been taken offline. :( There is a copy of the Crown Naga page on the Wayback Machine. There is a new website, called Eternity Publishing that seems to be linked to the old website. I'm not sure if everything on the old site is on the new one or if the new on is about a different subject. Is anyone in touch with Craig Cochrane? Maybe we could ask him what the deal is (and invite him to the community here).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Raneth
Hobgoblin

Post by Raneth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 am

I've decided to skip the conversion of the 3.0 monsters to 3.5 and go straight to Pathfinder. I'm sorry if this annoys people who only play 3.5, but the effort of converting the 500 monsters across the books is just too huge. Many of the so-called "revised" 3.5 monsters are improperly converted and still refer to invalid 3.0 rules and that's just within the first ten in CCR I've done so far. If you've made any conversions, please post them here and I'll try to add and edit them. Since it looks like Onyx Path or whoever owns the IP is going to release the next edition for D&D 5th edition, I feel vindicated in my decision to follow Pathfinder.

I'm going to try and collect all the open game content in the books and put it into a compendium, but I'll try to put it on drivethrurpg under the "pay what you want" system (both because the content was originally written by other people and because it's murder to convert things by hand and make sure the math works out right; it's too bad there aren't any free bestiary generation programs, herolab sounded nice aside from the ridiculous price). All closed content (unique names, descriptions, etc) won't be included so as not to incur any unfortunate legal incidents, but it shouldn't be too hard to tell what spell or monster is which.

I'll take suggestions for creative name replacements (a la Necromancer's Games "the original spell name compendium" pdf). For example, all references to Denev can be changed to Danu (a celtic goddess), Madriel to Michael (a biblical archangel), Belsameth to Belshazzar (a canaanite deity), Khornean, Tanith, Herodes, Enlil, Chiron, Vandal, etc.
Big Mac wrote:
The Angelic Dragon wrote:Not necessarily, if Onyx Path uses Pathfinder or another D20/OGL derivative they could easily use the Phrenic Scourge (Illithid open content replacement) and Ophiduan (Yuan-Ti open content replacement) stats and modify from them as necessary.
Sure. That could be done. But it would require rebooting the setting to insert the phrenic scourge and ophiduan into the roles occupied by the illithid and yuan-ti. Once that was done, it would be done, but I can imagine a few old school Scarred Lands fans getting confused by new products.
I don't see why. The monsters are similar enough that most people shouldn't notice the difference, and even then those two monsters only ever had minor mentions in the books themselves. I never once saw a paragraph that described them in any more than passing.

The Phrenic Scourge was converted to PF in Psionics Unleashed, which also includes a full conversion of the psionics system (barring things like the Mind domain and the arcane/divine spells that interacted with psionics). Dreamscarred Press is pretty much the goto for Pathfinder psionics.

I've got another update on my "substitute monsters" list.
Beholder™ and Gauth™
Evil Eye (Forgotten Foes)
Eye of the Deep (Tome of Horrors Complete)
Gibbering Orb and Lesser Gibbering Orb (Tome of Horrors 4)
Glaring Tyrant (http://rpg.divnull.com/wiki/index.php/Glaring_Tyrant)
Ogler (http://35privatesanctuary.com/index.php ... &Itemid=48)

Carrion Crawler™
Giant Rot Grub (Pathfinder Bestiary 3)
Scavenger Worm (Forgotten Foes)
Slime Crawler and Carrion Moth (Tome of Horrors Complete)

Displacer Beast™
Kamadan (Forgotten Foes, Pathfinder Bestiary 3, Tome of Horrors Complete)
Greymalkin (Forgotten Foes)
Tangtal (Tome of Horrors Complete)

Kuo-Toa™ (and Kopru™?)
Argos (Tome of Horrors 4)
Skum (Pathfinder Bestiary 1)
Tsathar (Tome of Horrors Complete)

Mind Flayer™ (and Grell™ and Neogi™?)
Aboleth (Pathfinder Bestiary 1)
Eldritch Spawn (Complete Book of Monster Templates)
Encephalon Gorger (Tome of Horrors Complete)
Grick (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)
Intellect Devourer (Pathfinder Bestiary 1, Psionics Unleashed)
Neh-Thalggu (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)
Neothelid (Pathfinder Bestiary 1)
Phrenic Scourge (Forgotten Foes, Psionics Unleashed)
Possessor (Forgotten Foes)
Seugathi (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)
Star Spawn of Cthulhu (Pathfinder Bestiary 4)
LINK BROKEN Thought Ripper (http://35privatesanctuary.com/index.php ... &Itemid=48)
Uggoth (Tome of Horrors 4)

Modron™
Axiomites (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)
Formians (Forgotten Foes)
Inevitables (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)

Myconid™
Fungus Man (Tome of Horrors 4)

Rilmani™
Aeons (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)

Slaad™
Chaosiic (Forgotten Foes)
Protean (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)
Tsathar (Tome of Horrors Complete)

Thri-Kreen™
Dromites (Psionics Unleashed)
Kasatha (Advanced Race Guide, Pathfinder Bestiary 4)

Umber Hulk™
Tunnel Brute (Forgotten Foes)
Trox (Advanced Race Guide, Pathfinder Bestiary 4)

Yuan-ti™
Ophiduan (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monste ... s/ophiduan)
Ophiduan, Hominis Caste PC Race (Psionics Unleashed)
Inphidian (Forgotten Foes, Tome of Horrors Complete, Tome of Horrors 4)
Serpentfolk (Pathfinder Bestiary 2)

Yugoloth™
Daemons (Pathfinder Bestiary 2, Pathfinder Bestiary 3)
Big Mac wrote:It is never too late for a thread-bump, Cliff. ;)

You need to play "the long game" with settings that have a less high profile than others. Drop threads, with meaningful titles and great content and you never know when a random Scarred Lands will go searching for information and end up arriving in your thread. :)

I can not get that link for the original Crown Naga to load. It looks like the immortalshandbook.com website has been taken offline. :( There is a copy of the Crown Naga page on the Wayback Machine. There is a new website, called Eternity Publishing that seems to be linked to the old website. I'm not sure if everything on the old site is on the new one or if the new on is about a different subject. Is anyone in touch with Craig Cochrane? Maybe we could ask him what the deal is (and invite him to the community here).
No, last time I checked the link was working. http://www.immortalshandbook.com/freestuff8.htm

But if you're having problems, here is a copy of the stats:
The following is the original incarnation of a monster I submitted to the Creature Collection 2: Dark Menagerie. While the name was used, the monster itself was significantly changed (they actually incorporated elements from another of my submissions in the change)

Crown Naga

Huge Aberration
Hit Dice: 27d8+189 (310 hp)
Initiative: +8 (+4 Dex, +4 improved initiative)
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 27 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +16 natural )
Attacks: 9 bites +27 melee
Damage: Bites 2d6+13 and poison
Face/Reach: 15 ft. by 15 ft. (coiled) / 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Charming gaze, detect thoughts, poison, spit, spells
Special Qualities: Poison immunity, regeneration, spell resistance 37
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +15, Will +25
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 19, Con 25, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 35
Skills: Bluff +16, Concentration +16, Knowledge (any one) +14, Listen +23, Sense Motive +14, Spellcraft +14, Spot +23
Feats: Alertness, Combat Casting, Dodge, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Spell Focus (any one school)
Environment: Temperate and warm land and underground
Organization: Solitary or nest (naga crown plus 2-4 devil nagas and 5-8 spirit nagas)
Challenge Rating: 25
Treasure: Triple Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement Range: By character class
Heads splayed writhing in their own majesty it resembles a great nine headed serpent, each head humanoid yet twisted in hatred.

Naga crowns represent the zenith of naga mutation. Heads splayed writhing in their own majesty. These creatures resemble a great nine headed serpent, each head humanoid yet twisted in hatred. They easily reach 50 feet in length and weigh about 9000 pounds. Scales are coloured at the whim of the monster, though they typically favour green banded with black. Magically adept with few peers they dominate the surrounding territory, quickly establishing a niche for them and their brood. Naga crowns enjoy charming opponents by gaze or by spell, and any lair will likely have charmed humanoid or animal slaves until such time a sthe nagas finish playing with such 'toys'. Considered by many, as well as themselves, as the true masters of naga kind it has been speculated that naga crowns are the spawn of the titaness Mormo, mother of serpents. She who has given birth to many such abominations. However, even if this is the case, naga crowns acknowledge no power greater than themselves. So any homage to Mormo is rendered through the spreading of grief and murder rather than actual supplication.

Combat
Fearsome opponents indeed. Capable of combating attacks on several fronts at once, they will swiftly dispose of all but the most redoubtable of challenges. Attackers can quickly find themselves overcome by multiple spells in the space of but a few seconds. Each head acts independantly, yet coordinated with the whole mass, the effects can be deadly. Potentially capable of casting as many as nine spells in a single round, with commensurate physical abilities to match, these creatures consider themselves invincible. To sever a head of a naga crown an opponent must hit the monsters neck with a slashing weapon and deal damage equal to the naga crown's original hit point total, divided by its original number of heads in one blow.

Charming Gaze (Su): As charm person, Will save (DC 34).
Detect Thoughts (Su): A naga crown can continuously detect thoughts as the spell cast by a 17th-level sorceror (DC24). this ability is always active.
Poison (Ex): Bites, Fortitude save (DC 30); initial damage 2d8 temporary Constitution, secondary damage death.
Poison Immunity (Ex): a naga crown is immune to all poisons and toxins.
Regeneration (Ex): A naga crown regenerates severed heads in 2d6 rounds. To prevent a head growing back, at least 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (AC31) before the new head appears.
Skills: A naga crown receives a +8 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks due to its multiple heads.
Spit (Ex): A naga crown can spit its venom up to 30ft. as a standard action. The attack ignores armor and has no range increment. Opponents hit by this attack must attempt saves against the naga crown's poison as above.
Spells: Naga crowns cast spells as 17th-level sorcerors, and can also cast cleric spells from the Chaos and Evil domains as arcane spells (save DC22 + spell level).
It's in definite need of some editing, but it seems pretty good otherwise.

Raneth
Hobgoblin

Post by Raneth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Now that Monsters of Porphyra (a collection of OGC monsters for Pathfinder, including some from the Creature Collection books) has been released, the Monsters Reborn blog has been taken down as it existed solely as a preview of that book. Buy the book at RPGNow.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:20 am

Raneth wrote:Now that Monsters of Porphyra (a collection of OGC monsters for Pathfinder, including some from the Creature Collection books) has been released, the Monsters Reborn blog has been taken down as it existed solely as a preview of that book. Buy the book at RPGNow.
Monsters of Porphyra has been put onto Pay What You Want for today only.

You can get it for free if you pay $0.00. (And you can also "try before you buy" by taking it for free and then buying it again later.)

People might want to grab this campaign setting, read it later, when they have time, and then pay for it after they have read it and decided if they want to pay for it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 pm

I was looking at your lack of a dragonman conversion and got to thinking there is a race called the tatsuri that kinda fills the same nitch from the lost tribes book. Maybe the dragonmen are an offshoot of them as they are thematically similar.

Return to “Scarred Lands”