Scarred Lands Lite

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.

Scarred Lands Lite

Postby haazeven » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:59 am

Hi everyone

Tired of the good old D&D system, and looking for something more practical to play with (especially with first-time players for which creating a character and explaining the rules might be tedious and a show-stopper), I have designed a set of simplified rules I called Scarred Lands Lite (not d20-based, closer to Vampire or Shadowrun), while still keeping a Scarred Lands feel. It is currently available here for those interested. I am planning several additional sourcebooks with translation of prestige classes, spells, items and monsters. Right now I have only done the bare minimum to play ^^

Enjoy!
Scarred Lands Sanctuary - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands
haazeven
Gnoll

Re: Scarred Lands Lite

Postby haazeven » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:14 am

Not sure if double-posting is authorized here or not... If it is not, my apologies to the moderators, and I will make sure this does not happen again.
For anyone interested, I have posted two documents with a compendium of prestige classes (around 60 of them) and elite classes (more than 200 of them solely for the continent of Ghelspad) along with some design notes on the difference between prestige and elite classes (tl;dr elite classes are specific to an organization, prestige classes are not). Use the link above to learn more about it ;)
Coming soon, similar lists of elite classes for Termana, Asherak and The Dragon Lands (almost done the three of them), and in the future, races and spell/rituals compendiums

EDIT : elite classes for Termana, Asherak and the Dragon Lands required only some layout edition, so they are out too!
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Thu May 07, 2015 12:35 pm

This is an interesting concept. I'll probably be sticking with 3rd Edition myself, but I enjoyed following the development of Dark Dungeons here.

How do you imagine Scarred Lands Lite evolving?

Also, have you considered doing something that doesn't use the name Scarred Lands, or the names of Scarred Lands IP, so that you could publish it, as a retro-clone system? (Or is it going to be too tied into Scarred Lands to ever be used with any other setting?)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby haazeven » Fri May 08, 2015 12:51 am

Thanks for your interest ;)

Big Mac wrote:How do you imagine Scarred Lands Lite evolving?
Well, my first goal is to finish conversion of the Scarred Lands books in terms of spells, magic items and monsters (I have already done all prestige classes, so that's great). This represents a quite huge amount of material (even if I am obviously not going to convert everything, far from it), so if I manage to do that I will be happy^^ I will only convert things that seem meaningful and/or do not duplicate something already present in the system somewhere. For example, manaspear is going to be in there, it's an important piece of the setting and it is quite different from other spells. Terole's translator, not so sure about that, I have already a spell to translate languages and the system is not as complex enough to support that many variants. Concerning magic items, I will not convert items that only duplicate spell effects (items like " you can cast XXX 3 times per day" will not make the cut), so that simplifies things (well, that saves time). In this game, magic items are supposed to be rare and specific, and the character to rely on their own abilities much more than on magic items. Monsters should be easy (albeit time-consuming), once I write the basic monster qualities/abilities [and all monsters should be in there at the end of the road].

Also, have you considered doing something that doesn't use the name Scarred Lands, or the names of Scarred Lands IP, so that you could publish it, as a retro-clone system? (Or is it going to be too tied into Scarred Lands to ever be used with any other setting?)
I have ^^ Initially I started it as a D&D variant, and only add Scarred Lands elements later (the joke was "I'm going to write how D&D 6 should be" :P It turned out that my player's wanted to know more about the Scarred Lands, so I have added some information on the setting. However, the core of it has the same feeling as a D&D game. Base classes are those of D&D 3 (plus the Aristocrat, Psion, and Guardian [think of it as a psychic warrior, but not only psionic]), prestige classes that do what chains of feat or prestige classes do (Assassin? check. Two-weapon fighting? check. Metamagic? check), domains for the clerics, lineages for the sorcerer, schools of magic for the wizard, these remain in the game, just in a different form. What differs is the resolution (the system is a success-based system like Shadowrun or Vampire) and the progression (no leveling in itself, but every character advances his skills and talents at the rate he wants, so you can have a very narrow focus, or on the contrary be a jack-of-all trades). Otherwise, well, the Scarred Lands is so close to the D&D system that I needed to keep the same architecture ^^

So yes, it could serve as a "retro-clone" (or more a "replica", it has the same cover but the inside is different) for almost any D&D-like world. Publishing it, who knows. It is an idea, certainly a good idea, but it would require some editing/proofreading effort (I will admit it, I am not a native English speaker, and even though my writing is OK so that people can understand what I mean, I still feel like some French structures remains hidden in some sentences...), so I prefer right now focus on the conversion, which I find fun ^^ Maybe later I will think about it ;)
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Fri May 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks for the additional information Haazeven.

Good luck with this!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby haazeven » Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 am

A first version of a spell and ritual compendium can be found here. It covers roughly the 3.5 PhB and Relics & Rituals, so there is still a ton of works here as well, but I wanted to have this first draft more or less completed. Domains are included, approximately 40 of them, for all known gods and demi-gods and dead gods of the Scarred Lands (including a few of my own creation [no description yet though, I should add it to my to-do list...] )

Next will be the book of races (most material is here for the common races, but I want to add more monstruous races like rat-men and the like), then probably items, and then monsters.
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby haazeven » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:25 am

I found a nice way to tackle magic items, so I did. A first version of the magic item compendium is available here, and the promised race compendium is here.

The race compendium contains almost 50 races, divine and titanspawn alike (including the almost-complete family of ratmen), and weird races no-one will ever play like the miredweller or the shen shenagar. There is even the deryth if anyone wants some roleplaying challenge XD I hesitated to include some of them, and then I thought that if I were to put the asaath or the ratmen in, then I should do any kind of humanoid as well. Still missing goblins and a few other Monster Manual races, but these are not that common in the Scarred Lands so...

The item compendium contains hundreds of magic items (essentially anything from the DMG 3.5 and the first Relics & Rituals). I am quite happy with the system, even though there is some balancing to do, and some properties may be in the wrong category. Essentially, the compendium is a catalog of properties, and when an item is created the creator simply chooses which properties he wants from the catalog. So the Lady of the Valley (for example), has the following properties : Enhancement 2 (Strength), Frightening 3, Keen 3, Spellcasting (Magic Contact) 3 (cloak of
darkness
, Charisma+Deception). That way, translation of items from D&D 3.X to SLL is fast and easy for me ^^ Only artifacts have unique (and powerful) abilities which require a little bit of work (certainly too powerful in some cases but I don't expect any artifact to show up in my games).

PS : sorry to the moderators if double-posting is forbidden here ^^'
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby haazeven » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:40 pm

So, I got a useful way to describe monsters without giving them actual numbers (essentially, to scale the monster difficulty with the player's if need be, or to create monsters "on the fly" in less than 1 minute). More on that later when I publish the thing. Given that there are a bunch of monsters out there (more than a thousand?), I will have to divide into several books (I finished converting the Monster Manual and it gets me to 60 pages already...). My big question is :

Do you think it is better to divide by type of creatures (one book for undead, one for elementals, one for humanoids, etc), or by location (one for Ghelspad, one for Termana, certainly one for the planes, etc)?
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby Argentmantle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:49 pm

I prefer something based on a mixture of things that can be divided out into books. This means that if I only have access to the first book, I still have a menu to work from. Plus it allows you to get started before you have the complete series done. I've seen too many projects die half way through creating hte perfect 'thing' even if it could hvae been in use along the way.

If you are talking about 'book' from the PDF idea, I don't think it matters, you can simply use them as an indexed PDF or even slip them all into a web friendly format, i.e. select monsters by CR, type, experience value, immunities, or whatever you'd like. Add in some common links to the various types and subtypes and you're well on your way.
Argentmantle
Troll

Postby haazeven » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Yes, I see what you mean and I know it is a trap that I should avoid ^^

My plan is the following: finish converting the monsters from the first Creature Collection (should take one or two weeks), divide into a "core" book containing the rules and a few example monsters (and probably the index), and then a series of books with monsters divided either according to type or location (which is the question), only with the monsters already converted (Monster Manual 1 and Creature Collection 1). So the "starter set" should be available in that time frame.

After that, these pdf will be updated on a semi-regular basis, depending on how fast I convert things. Dividing into different books is more of a convenience thing (I prefer handling smaller files). Just, i want to divide now while the data is still small. Later, it might take more effort to re-organize ^^
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby haazeven » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:01 am

I did not forget you there ^^ After a little bit of playtesting, additional reviews and comments from friends, I did a few changes in the system. Notably :

- saves are now rolled (instead of the previous version where all saves had fixed values, which lead to a huge asymmetry between attack and defense in favor of defense)
- a certain number of semi-stupid ideas were removed from the game (mostly to avoid tracking down multiple things going on behind the scenes, I want to keep the game simple)
- non-spellcasting talents were buffed to become more appealing
- all talents received an additional badass effect when a character reaches the maximum rank in that talent (the same way as level 20 gives a nice little boost in PathFinder)
- some gaming resources that were not so much used in the game are now useful for all characters (i.e. action points allow you to make crazy stuff)

I am currently in the process of inserting these changes everywhere. I have given a first version of the base system here but it may still need re-adjustements, and the document is missing some essential parts like prestige classes and spells. So it will be updated again, but it is a work in progress anyway ^^

Thoughs/comments are always welcomed ;)
haazeven
Gnoll

Return to Scarred Lands