Scarnspace: What do we know about it?

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Scarnspace: What do we know about it?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:52 pm

If someone were to try to run a Scarred Lands/Spelljammer crossover (Scarnspace) what sort of information is available?

I know we have the name of the main planet (Scarn), but do we have the name of any of the other celestial bodies? (Do we even have a name for the sun and moon?) But how about the planets? Are there any planets named after the gods (or titans)?

Do we have any information about the movement of the celestial bodies (Scarn's year and the moon's month would seem to be the ones I would expect to see).

Do we have names of stars or constellations? Do we have names for comets or anything else?

Are there any special names for holidays associated with any sort of astrological events?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cliffrice
Troll

Re: Scarnspace: What do we know about it?

Post by Cliffrice » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:11 pm

Off the top of my head I recall the sun was referred to thulcas prison and used to be relitively small and cold untill they trapped the titan there and now it burns with his power and hate.

one moon is called belsemeths moon and is associated with madness and is home to lycanthgropes and moon giants.

There is also a grey moon that i have no idea what is up with.

haazeven
Gnoll

Post by haazeven » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

For the moon, there are two of them, Belsameth moon, and the Nameless Orb. Gaurak allegedly ate whatever life was on the moon.

Concerning stars and constellations, there are 16 of them since the Divine War (yes, the war changed that as well). 1 per month (so two per gods). Each constellation is associated with different attributions, symbols, etc. Look for Relics and Rituals 2 for details, this is probably the best part of that book. There are also demi-planes where the spirits of the constellations live, which are quite fun to visit I would say (described in Edge of Infinity).

For other planets, I don't think there is any reference in the books. Actually, I am not even sure whether Scarn is spherical or not ^^ If I remember, there was a fan-made list of planets on some Scarred Lands website, but it has been a long time and I don' t remember which one exactlty. The document described (unsurprisingly) 8 planets or so, one for each gods (maybe for Madriel and Belsameth there were no planets, just the sun and moon), with their names and movement pattern (if I remember correctly, Enkili's planet did not have a regular pattern, but moved randomly through the sky). So I would say you should feel free to do whatever you want :P
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Cliffrice wrote:Off the top of my head I recall the sun was referred to thulcas prison and used to be relitively small and cold untill they trapped the titan there and now it burns with his power and hate.
That's good stuff.

Suns are not especially accessible in Spelljammer, but there are rules for fireworlds and some of them are inhabited by fire elementals. Perhaps something could be done with this sun.

Can anyone recall the sourcebook that has the stuff that Cliff is talking about in it? I'd love to see the exact quote (or read it, if it is a book I already own).
haazeven wrote:For the moon, there are two of them, Belsameth moon, and the Nameless Orb. Gaurak allegedly ate whatever life was on the moon.
That also sounds pretty good.

Cliffrice says that Belsameth's moon is associated with madness, so I can imagine that some fun things could be done with it, if it was expanded as a Spelljammer location.

The Nameless Orb sounds a bit less useful, but maybe it could have undead or something on it.

Do you have a book and page citation for this? I'd love to read it all.
haazeven wrote:Concerning stars and constellations, there are 16 of them since the Divine War (yes, the war changed that as well). 1 per month (so two per gods). Each constellation is associated with different attributions, symbols, etc. Look for Relics and Rituals 2 for details, this is probably the best part of that book. There are also demi-planes where the spirits of the constellations live, which are quite fun to visit I would say (described in Edge of Infinity).
Is that 16 extra contellations since the Divine War? Or was there no constellations before the Divine War? I guess I need to hunt down Relics & Rituals 2. I don't think I have that in my collection yet.

Edge of Invinity is also going to have to go onto my wishlist (if I don't already have it - I've got a few Scarred Lands books that I've not even had time to flip through yet.).
haazeven wrote:For other planets, I don't think there is any reference in the books. Actually, I am not even sure whether Scarn is spherical or not ^^
Do we know who creted Scarn? Perhaps there is a designer we could ask about the shape of the world.
haazeven wrote:If I remember, there was a fan-made list of planets on some Scarred Lands website, but it has been a long time and I don' t remember which one exactlty. The document described (unsurprisingly) 8 planets or so, one for each gods (maybe for Madriel and Belsameth there were no planets, just the sun and moon), with their names and movement pattern (if I remember correctly, Enkili's planet did not have a regular pattern, but moved randomly through the sky). So I would say you should feel free to do whatever you want :P
I would like to find that (if it is online or on the Wayback Machine). There is no sense reinventing the wheel if someone else has already done some of the research. I might want to change things (and other people might want to change things too) but it is nice to see what fanon is already out there.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat May 02, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

haazeven
Gnoll

Post by haazeven » Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Cliffrice wrote:Off the top of my head I recall the sun was referred to thulcas prison and used to be relitively small and cold untill they trapped the titan there and now it burns with his power and hate.
That's good stuff.

Suns are not especially accessible in Spelljammer, but there are rules for fireworlds and some of them are inhabited by fire elementals. Perhaps something could be done with this sun.

Can anyone recall the sourcebook that has the stuff that Cliff is talking about in it? I'd love to see the exact quote (or read it, if it is a book I already own).
Unfortunately not, but that would not surprise me. There are references to his bonding with the sun in the Divine & the Defeated (p215), but nothing about the increase in sun's light, size or heat.
haazeven wrote:For the moon, there are two of them, Belsameth moon, and the Nameless Orb. Gaurak allegedly ate whatever life was on the moon.

Cliffrice says that Belsameth's moon is associated with madness, so I can imagine that some fun things could be done with it, if it was expanded as a Spelljammer location.

The Nameless Orb sounds a bit less useful, but maybe it could have undead or something on it.

For Gaurak and the moon, I think there are several references here and there (see The Divine & teh Defeated p175, Campaign Setting - Ghelspad p15). If I remember correctly, the Gray Orb is a sign of ill omen, and possibly shadows. You have a few worshippers in Lageni (see Campaign Setting - Ghelspad p94), one guy who studies it in Mithril (in Mithril p43)
haazeven wrote:Concerning stars and constellations, there are 16 of them since the Divine War (yes, the war changed that as well). 1 per month (so two per gods). Each constellation is associated with different attributions, symbols, etc. Look for Relics and Rituals 2 for details, this is probably the best part of that book. There are also demi-planes where the spirits of the constellations live, which are quite fun to visit I would say (described in Edge of Infinity).
Is that 16 extra contellations since the Divine War? Or was there no constellations before the Divine War?
The stars from before the Divine War where gathered and set as one of the 16 constellations (Kylos, the Wheel, associated with Enkili).
haazeven wrote:If I remember, there was a fan-made list of planets on some Scarred Lands website, but it has been a long time and I don' t remember which one exactlty. The document described (unsurprisingly) 8 planets or so, one for each gods (maybe for Madriel and Belsameth there were no planets, just the sun and moon), with their names and movement pattern (if I remember correctly, Enkili's planet did not have a regular pattern, but moved randomly through the sky). So I would say you should feel free to do whatever you want :P
I would like to find that (if it is online or on the Wayback Machine). There is no sense reinventing the wheel if someone else has already done some of the research. I might want to change things (and other people might want to change things too) but it is nice to see what fanon is already out there.
I will try to look it again but I am not so sure where I saw it (it was a looong time ago).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 04, 2015 10:07 pm

haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
That's good stuff.

Unfortunately not, but that would not surprise me. There are references to his bonding with the sun in the Divine & the Defeated (p215), but nothing about the increase in sun's light, size or heat.
Didn't one of the other (non hostile) titans bond with the earth? Have other titans bonded with other things?
haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

For Gaurak and the moon, I think there are several references here and there (see The Divine & teh Defeated p175, Campaign Setting - Ghelspad p15). If I remember correctly, the Gray Orb is a sign of ill omen, and possibly shadows. You have a few worshippers in Lageni (see Campaign Setting - Ghelspad p94), one guy who studies it in Mithril (in Mithril p43)
At last a "Scarnspace" book I already have! I still have Mithril: City of the Golem in the shrinkwrap that Leisure Games put it in. Time for it to come out! :cool:

Arvil Tannanas sounds like a fun NPC to have in a Scarnspace campaign. I wonder if he would be up for taking a trip to the Nameless Orb. It is interesting that he seems to have gained the ability to see flapping creatures that are investigating the Golem. I wonder if the Nameless Orb has given him some sort of power.)
haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Is that 16 extra contellations since the Divine War? Or was there no constellations before the Divine War?
The stars from before the Divine War where gathered and set as one of the 16 constellations (Kylos, the Wheel, associated with Enkili).
Edge of Infinity: The Scarred Planes has some awesome stuff. I'm still a bit confused by the planes, as they are using the same things but giving them all different names, but this Joseph D. Carriker, Jr. chap obviously knows what he is doing. (If Onxy Path Publishing ever did a book like Distant Worlds, I would like them to bring him onboard.) However, I do wish the book had been given a proper Contents section. What we have is effectively just a list of chapters, rather than a full list of sections. That makes finding the specific planes and other sections pretty difficult.

There is a section called, "Nature of the Universe" on pages 6-7 that talks about something called the "Celestial Void". That would be a fantastic local name for the Wildspace within the crystal sphere that Scarn is in. There is also a picture of 8 godlike figures (not sure if they are titans or gods) looking at Scarn, with four other celestial bodies (not sure if they are moons or planets) behind them. Nature of the Universe also says that "Scarn is the of all that is..." which implies that the scholar Khell believes that Scarn is in the middle of the universe. (That could suggest that Scarnspace would be a geocentric crystal sphere - similar to Greyspace - with the sun orbiting Scarn, the moons orbiting Scarn inside the sun's orbit and the planets orbiting Scarn outside the sun's orbit.)

"Chapter Four: The Divine Planes" features The Black Lands, which are described as the home of Belsameth the Bloody. That kind of conflicts with Belsameth being on a moon, but I can see how Belsameth could also have influence over the moon, while living on an "Outer Plane". The section about The Grove of Endless Terror says that "The Grove of Endless Terror lies somewhere to the far east of Belsameth's lunar palace. I wonder if there could also be a similar looking palace on the moon orbiting Scarn. Portals between the moon and The Black Lands could be fun. They would need to be connected to The Thicket of Precious Sorrows, so perhaps there could be a similar forest glade on the moon, that has a portal in it's centre. A forest moon, perhaps one not quite as unplesant as The Black Lands would be fun. Belsameth worshipping space pirate-witches, who fly spelljamming ships into wildspace, to capture victims used in rituals. It might also be fun if a powerful cult dedicated to the Oceans of Midnight was based on the moon and fighting to free the moon of the influence of pirate-witches. The cult of Oceans of Midnight could periodically get strong enough to send a force through the portal to locate Oceans of Magic and help her destroy Belsameth, but I would locate them far outside of pirate-witch territory, so that they had to fight a battle to get close to the location where they can cross over into The Thicket of Precious Sorrows.

"Chapter Five: The Zodiacal Planes" is awesome. From the talk of astrology and access to the sixteen planes, I would suggest that if you take a straight line from Scarn, thorugh the sun and onto the side of the crystal sphere opposite Scarn, that would give you a single constellation that could be visited by spelljamming ships to gain access to the associated plane. But they couldn't hang around too long, or they would be stuck there for a year. The Zodiacal Planes might help someone design SJ-style constellates, based on the deities...although they would not actually be avatars.

The Moonlight Lord PrC sounds like it would work well on the moons of Scarn. I can imagine a society of people with lycanthropic powers living there. :twisted:

I really do need to get some of these other books you lot are telling me about. I'm sure they are full of useful ideas too.
haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I will try to look it again but I am not so sure where I saw it (it was a looong time ago).
I wonder if there is a French Scarred Lands forum, where I can ask for help. Does anyone know what the French name for Scarred Lands is?

haazeven
Gnoll

Post by haazeven » Tue May 05, 2015 1:40 am

Didn't one of the other (non hostile) titans bond with the earth? Have other titans bonded with other things?
Golthain, at the end of the war, bonded with Denev, effectively dying in the process. The other have various fates, but most of them are "simply" locked somewhere or scattered everywhere.
I wonder if there is a French Scarred Lands forum, where I can ask for help. Does anyone know what the French name for Scarred Lands is?
There was, called Le Sanctuaire des Terres Balafrées [Terres Balafrées = Scarred Lands]. The website has been down for a while, there is a backup here => *clic*. We did a lot of things in this site (well, we even provided a fan-made translation of the Player's Guide to Monks and Paladins), but the number of people on that site has declined (globally since the apparition of the 3.5), and if you search for "Terres Balafrées" on google you will find more people who are selling their books than anything (sad, isn't it?)

By the way, the picture of the planets I was talking about was on the Sanctuaire => *clic*

The article describing the planets is here => *clic*

It is said that it was written by a guy nicknamed CarnivalKid, and then translated in French, but I do not know where we can find the original version, if it exists. Well, I can do a back-translation, if (when?) I have some time (and courage)... [and time, which is a precious ressource...]

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 05, 2015 7:08 am

haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Didn't one of the other (non hostile) titans bond with the earth? Have other titans bonded with other things?
Golthain, at the end of the war, bonded with Denev, effectively dying in the process. The other have various fates, but most of them are "simply" locked somewhere or scattered everywhere.
Thanks Haazeven.

I think I'm getting a bit off-topic, with that line of thought. Perhaps I'll start up another topic to discuss "What happened to the Titans?" later. :)
haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder if there is a French Scarred Lands forum, where I can ask for help. Does anyone know what the French name for Scarred Lands is?
There was, called Le Sanctuaire des Terres Balafrées [Terres Balafrées = Scarred Lands]. The website has been down for a while, there is a backup here => *clic*. We did a lot of things in this site (well, we even provided a fan-made translation of the Player's Guide to Monks and Paladins), but the number of people on that site has declined (globally since the apparition of the 3.5), and if you search for "Terres Balafrées" on google you will find more people who are selling their books than anything (sad, isn't it?)

By the way, the picture of the planets I was talking about was on the Sanctuaire => *clic*

The article describing the planets is here => *clic*

It is said that it was written by a guy nicknamed CarnivalKid, and then translated in French, but I do not know where we can find the original version, if it exists. Well, I can do a back-translation, if (when?) I have some time (and courage)... [and time, which is a precious ressource...]
Thanks for this! I got pointed at this independently by Craig Dull at the Scarred Lands Reborn group, literally just before I came back here, but you found the Astrologie dans les Terres Balafrées PDF, which is something I was going to need to hunt down.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat May 09, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 pm

My French is a bit rusty, but here's a go at the first page and the remainder of the "Mois ascendant & descendant" section:

This is a small essay on astrology and cosmology, for use in connection with Scarred Lands. For the random determination of the date of birth of a character, you can use the small program on my site, or roll dice following the method below. You can also refer to the calendar of Scarred Lands.

Step 1
Is the character born a Denedi? There exists a 4% (1 in 25) chance that a character is born a Denedi. Throw a percentile die to determine this. Such characters are nicknamed Kenliomides or "Old Minds" by astrologers and are not subject to astrological influences, like people born before the War of the Gods.

Step 2
In the case of failure, roll a d8 to determine the date of birth and see Table 1.

Step 3
Then roll a d6 to see if your character is born on the first, second, or third occurrence of the day (Table 2).

Step 4
Another d6 then lets you know if the character is born during a month ascending or descending (Table 3).

Step 5
Finally, roll another d8 to find out what month the character was born in, referring to Table 4.

Let us try, for example, to determine the day of birth of the wood elf Eldemer Galamer, defender of Ganjus during the War of Druids, then adept of Belsameth, tried and executed for murder in Mithril and finally raised as a vampire by the will of Belsameth.

Step 1
The percentile roll is 36%; Eldemer is not born a Denedi. If he had been, we would have skipped steps 2 and 3, as there can only be one Denedi per month.

Step 2
The first d8 gives a 7. Eldemer was born a Belsadi.

Step 3
The d6 gives 3, which is equivalent to the second Belsadi of the month (and which also corresponds to the full moon).

Step 4
We throw a d6 and get a 1, so Eldemer was born in an ascending month.

Step 5
Finally, the d8 gives a 2, which allows us to see that Eldemer was born during the month of Katsuro. Eldemer was thus born on Belsadi, the 15th of Tanoth, under the sign of Lycaeus.

Months Ascending & Descending
The gods give to and receive from Scarn. During the ascendant months, the gods spread their creative energy to the benefit of all; the world seems to blossom and nature is beneficial. During the descendant fall and winter months, the gods of Scarn withdraw more than they give; life seems to shrivel, while people are generally less lucky. The day of birth of a character determines their ascending and descending months. A character born on Cordi has ascendant month Coroth and descendant month Corehr (Coroth and Corehr form opposing months for this character). Eldemer, in the example above, has ascendant Beloth and descendant Belsamehr. Players receive a +1 bonus to saving throws during their ascendant month and a -1 penalty on saving throws during their descendant month. Use Table 5 to note all the information.*

*(this seems to be a typo in the original - it should be Table 4)

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed May 06, 2015 12:06 am

Quick overviews of other sections:

There are 8 major planets, each associated with a god. They don't like to be interrupted, and planetary travel is dangerous and unpredictable. However, because of the spiritual ties of the planets, it's also possible to travel to them on the Astral Plane.

Four of the planets form the Holy Cross, at right angles to each other. The two axes are the Axis of Light and the Axis of the Act. Together, they play a regulatory role in the cosmos, and where they begin the year is important to astrologers. The cardinal signs are Ursos, Destrios, Charys, and Delphos. The Axis of Light consists of the Sun and Mitrirsat, the remains of Coreahn, while the Axis of the Act consists of Obriast (the remains of Hedrad) and Kayorvil (the remains of Chardoun).

Mitrirsat
Sacred to the Avenger, opposite to the Sun, along with Madriel and Coreahn it always illuminates Scarn. Mitrirsat begins each year in the sign of Charys. It is a bright planet that reflects a lot of light, and can be seen in the night sky. When Mitrirsat enters the birth sign of a character, they have a +2 bonus to Craft checks for a month.
As a planet of the Holy Cross, Mitrirsat is as far from Scarn as the Sun. It is a perfect sphere that looks to be made of polished silver, mithril, or adamantine. It is the brightest object in the sky other than the moons. On the Astral Plane, it is as bright as the sun, but silver rather than gold. It has the appearance of a castle gate, and the sound of a forge can always be heard near it. The Spiritual Guardian of Mitrirsat is strict and stubborn about protocol, but always willing to render service.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 pm

The Dark wrote:My French is a bit rusty, but here's a go at the first page and the remainder of the "Mois ascendant & descendant" section:

This is a small essay on astrology and cosmology, for use in connection with Scarred Lands. For the random determination of the date of birth of a character, you can use the small program on my site, or roll dice following the method below. You can also refer to the calendar of Scarred Lands.
Thanks for translating this Mr Dark (or should I call you Monsieur Foncé ;) ).

The process of going through lots of tables seems like a slightly over complex way to select the birthday of a PC, although it does seem like it is going to work well once you have gone through those tables. (I wonder if the tables are optimised to allowing people to pick their preferred star sign and then go for a birthday that fits with that.)

I take it the ascendant month/descendant month rule is a fanon rule from this French download (rather than a canon rule that they have reprinted). I have to say that I think this is a really easy (and logical) way to do something useful (but not game shattering) with astrology. I think that people could easily apply the same rule to the astrology of other campaign settings to make it a "real" thing. :cool:

It might be interesting to also give characters the same ascendant/descendant bonus, if they go to visit the Zodiacal Plane associated with their starsign or the one associated with the opposing starsign. :) (They can only enter those planes when the right starsign is in the sky, so it would be the same anyway, but if they fail to leave and get "stuck" on the plane for 11 months, then I'm not sure it makes sense to make effects from other starsigns come into play.)

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 am

Big Mac wrote:
The Dark wrote:My French is a bit rusty, but here's a go at the first page and the remainder of the "Mois ascendant & descendant" section:

Thanks for translating this Mr Dark (or should I call you Monsieur Foncé ;) ).
Ha. Non, je suis Americain. I just studied French. Honestly, a good bit of it is Google Translate, with most of the non-machine translation being me comparing the two and tweaking language for phrases that don't quite translate literally.
The process of going through lots of tables seems like a slightly over complex way to select the birthday of a PC, although it does seem like it is going to work well once you have gone through those tables. (I wonder if the tables are optimised to allowing people to pick their preferred star sign and then go for a birthday that fits with that.)
The tables are on page 2, on the right, and the calendar is at the bottom of page 1.
I take it the ascendant month/descendant month rule is a fanon rule from this French download (rather than a canon rule that they have reprinted). I have to say that I think this is a really easy (and logical) way to do something useful (but not game shattering) with astrology. I think that people could easily apply the same rule to the astrology of other campaign settings to make it a "real" thing. :cool:
Yes, it seems to be a new rule. I think the rule for planets entering a sign giving a bonus is also new.

Obriast is sacred to the judge. It's a flat, dark color, only visible on the Eastern horizon just before sunrise. It gives +2 to all Profession checks when in the sign of a character's birth. Up close, it looks to be made of a stone somewhere between marble and granite, and is inscribed with letters. Astrologers say they're the secrets of the world, inscribed in the language of the gods. On the Astral, there are endless lines of souls waiting to enter, with an Astral Guardian indexing and sorting them as they arrive.

Kayorvil is sacred to the Great General. It seems to absorb light rather than reflect it. When in a character's birth sign, they get +2 to all Charisma-based checks. However, undead receive +1 to attack the character, and the character is at -1 to all saving throws against things inflicted by undead. Kayorvil absorbs all light, and so is only visible by what it blocks, and it drains energy from any living thing that approaches. On the Astral, it appears as a gate wreathed in flames, with gargoyles, skulls, and bones decorating the gate. The Guardian will try to capture any travelers and send them to the Hell of Chardoun.

The Sun is associated with Madriel. Only characters that have chosen the "Lucky Star" feat gain a benefit from it when it is in their sign. Approaching the Sun is a bad idea, as it takes high-level magic just to survive the radiations, and there is the Titan imprisoned in it as well. The Astral Guardian is friendly to travelers, but will not let them enter the golden castle it appears to be.

The Moon is associated with Belsameth. It accelerates and slows down at different times, but is always full on the second Belsadi and second Vandi of a month. Some people say it's close enough to fly to. It exists on the physical and the Astral at the same time, and appears to be the same on both. Belsameth's Throne is located on the far side of the moon, and the Astral Guardian will attempt to kill any travelers who approach the Moon on the Astral.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri May 15, 2015 11:13 pm

The Inner Planets are Caalakel and the Nameless Orb. Their orbits are within the Holy Cross.

Caalakel is sacred to the Huntress. It enters a new sign every 12 days, so it passes through the entire zodiac twice per year. When it enters a person's birth sign, they get +1 to all ranged attacks. On the 13th of each month, it has no effect. It begins the year in the sign of Lycaeus. It appears green and is teeming with plants and animals. On the Astral, it radiates purple light and a feeling of lushness that reminds travelers of the benefits of nature. Its Guardian always appears as a giant animal, usually a humanoid moose, that is not hostile but makes it clear visitors aren't welcome.

The Nameless Orb is not part of the astrological cycle, and it's considered heretical to believe it has any influence. It is barren and orbits just inside the Holy Cross. It seems to have been abandoned by the gods.

The Outer Planets are Gurubas and Gruagor, which orbit outside the Holy Cross.

It seems Enkili is tired of Gurubas, for it has stopped moving and is permanently in Kylos. It has no astrological effect. Gurubas is actually a double planet, two fragments that rotate each other, encircled by three blue rings. It is very far from Scarn. On the Astral, the Guardian does not keep anyone from entering, but the world is not safe. It is said there are portals there to other worlds.

When Hedrad revealed the order of the cosmos, the Ravager laughed in his face. Gruagor, the Portal of Pikes, moves randomly. Each month the GM determines its position using steps 4 & 5 of the birth sign generator. Any character whose sign is occupied by Gruagor suffers -4 to save vs. disease. It is not visible to the naked eye, and sensible people don't look at it through a telescope. Its distance from Scarn varies, but it never travels inside the Holy Cross. It's a mass of molten rock with metal pikes and sharp rock sticking out of it, inhabited by demons. Any traveler who approaches on the Astral is quickly surrounded by demons.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri May 15, 2015 11:33 pm

The practice of astrology

Characters with knowledge of astrology can perform some minor rituals to intercede with gods, portal guardians, or constellation spirits, but only for specific reasons (i.e. not a general intervention).

The astrologer needs 1d4 hours and the date of birth of the person being aided. At the end of this time, their Knowledge (Astrology) is secretly checked by the DM. On a DC 20, the target gets +1 to a specific roll for a specific purpose. For each additional 5 points of success, the bonus increases by +1 to a maximum of +5. If the roll fails, there is no effect. An astrologer is typically paid 100 to 200 GP for a horoscope of this type, plus 50 GP for each point of Knowledge (Astrology) above 15.

(note: I had trouble translating this next section, so it may be inaccurate)
However, there is a 10% chance that Gruagor will influence the horoscope. If this happens, the astrologer must make an Astrology check. This determines the Will saving throw that the astrologer and applicant must make to avoid being affected by a curse spell.

True Astrological Ritual
Rebirth at the World Wheel
Opens a character to astrological influences
Level: True Ritual - Mag 1
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casters required: 3, at least one of which must have levels in the Grand Astrologer prestige class
Proxy: No
Cast Time: 3 hours
Range: Touch
Target: One creature
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
Most currently living Elves were born before the War of the Gods. In order to fit into the new order, they developed this spell, hoping it will give them strength to resist the curse of Cheurn.
Effect: This spell opens the target to astrological influences. It cannot be cast on a Denedi, and has no effect on a person born on a Denedi. Any other target will be affected by astrological influences as though they were born on the day the spell was cast.
Material component: Requires the appropriate material from the "Correspondance" column on page 6.
XP Cost: 10 per caster
Note: The target may choose to pay the experience cost instead.

Translator's note: Most of the materials are very similar in English to French. Argent is silver. Pierre de sang is heliotrope. Or is gold. Acier is steel. Plomb is lead.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 22, 2015 12:51 am

Thanks The Dark.

That is interesting stuff. I think that celestial bodies existing on other planes is logical, because the main world in a campaign setting is always connected to other planes (so by implication is connected to them).

There is not a great deal there, so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a SJ celestial body that does not clash with the French fanon astrological concept.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Mon May 25, 2015 12:01 pm

As far as I remember the big focus of the campaign is the aftermath of the big war between the gods and the titans. The sun and moons are mentioned but not detailed. What I enjoyed most were some of the monsters, especially the Momus and his carnival crew. Although the idea of adapting the dark carnival as a traveling circus of corruption appeals to me.

Return to “Scarred Lands”