Nocturnal Media owns the Scarred Lands (was: Paradox Buys W

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.

Nocturnal Media owns the Scarred Lands (was: Paradox Buys W

Postby Havard » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Paradox Buys White Wolf and the World of Darkness

What will this news mean for Onyx Path and the Scarred Lands?

Edit: As it turns out Nocturnal Media owns the Scarred Lands, so this deal will not affect the Scarred Lands. I have edited the thread topic in light of this new information. Let us talk about Nocturnal Media and the Scarred Lands in this thread, and go to the link above if you want to talk aboit White Wolf and Paradox. :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Paradox Buys White Wolf and the World of Darkness

Postby Cliffrice » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:58 am

Probably cancellation for scarred lands. they just wanted vampire.
Cliffrice
Troll

Postby Havard » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Just talked to the brother of the owner of Nocturnal Media who could tell me the following:

Steve wrote:Scarred Lands is now owned by Nocturnal Media, not CCP, so not part of the Paradox deal.

More on Nocturnal Media and the Scarred Lands here: http://www.nocturnal-media.com/games-1/#/new-page-2-1/

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:34 pm

That's great news, but do we have any idea when Nocturnal Media or Onxy Path might have another new product out?

From a rules, point of view, I would love to see the Player's Guide series rebooted as full Scarred Lands products for Pathfinder RPG. That might bring some new fans into the community.

But from a setting, point of view, I would love to see Strange Lands get some sort of expansion.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Nocturnal Media owns the Scarred Lands

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:36 pm

It will be interesting to see what Noctural Media has in store for the Scarred Lands. Pathfinder or 5th Edition could be ways to go. Alot of settings are getting multiple rulesets these days too.

I like the Scarred Lands, but I think it suffers from a bit of the same problem that Kingdoms of Kalamar has. Although they are very different settings, they can both seem a bit generic at first glace. Scarred Lands does have its very unique and interesting features though, and I would like to see those features moved to the front of the setting in future products.

I will try to investigate more about Nocturnal Media and report when I find out more! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Nocturnal Media owns the Scarred Lands (was: Paradox Buy

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:29 pm

This just in:

Nocturnal Media (Owned by Stewart Wieck) and Onyx Path Publishing co-own the Scarred Lands. These two companies have huge plans for returning the setting in 2016. Stewart Wieck posted the following in the Scarred Lands Reborn group in Facebook:
Stewart Wieck wrote:Apologies if this was an unaddressed concern. Nocturnal Media and OPP co-own the Scarred Lands, so it's entirely in our control and it's still due in 2016. In fact, the Kickstarter will run in January...!

So they will be using the Kickstarter model for the return of the setting. To Big Mac and others asking for what edition will be supported, these might be seen as good news:

Stewart Wieck wrote:How about both PF and 5e? We're hoping for news about a new OGL soon but will launch a Kickstarter project two editions of the setting/game in January 2016.

So it seems we will be getting both Pathfinder and D&D 5e. It is interesting that they are interested in using the new OGL rather than the old SRD, but I'm guessing the latter will be an option if WotC still has not gotten a new OGL in place by the time they start writing up rules for the book.

Looks like the Gen Con announcements from Onyx Path Publishing are going ahead as planned:

Onyx Path Publishing wrote:Scarred Lands: 2016 looks to be a big year for the rebirth of this beloved fantasy game, and we’re actually spending this Gen Con talking up illustrators for the project. We also have the first new adventure for the new edition, The Gauntlet of Spiragos, for sale at the booth.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cliffrice » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:08 pm

thats good news :)
Cliffrice
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:04 pm

I would guess that the Kickstarter would have a base goal to support Pathfinder RPG or 5th Edition...with a stretch goal to support the other system. That way, they could make for a project that could deliver something to fans, even if support was not as big as they hoped it could be.

Big "all of nothing" Kickstarters either deliver everything or nothing. (I quite like what Jeff Dee has been doing with his multiple mini-art Kicstarters. If he doesn't fund something with one, he just adds it onto the list of things for the next Kickstarter down the line, instead of having a big Kickstarter that bombs. From what I can see, he has the ability to make a small number of fans very happy doing that.)

I would guess that Scarred Lands Campaign Setting would be needed, as the base product too...and that they would have to pick one of the two main areas (Ghelspace or Termana) to go with. I think that Strange Lands would need to be way down the list of stretch goals (if it was even on the first Kickstarter at all).

One interesting thing is that, if the republished Kickstarter is a success, it is going to give the owners the ability to consolidate some of the different 3e products into a single Pathfinder or 5e product. So it will be interesting to see what, if anything, gets merged or cut, when the edition treadmill turns on Scarred Lands.

But I'll be most interested to see what Nocturnal Media and Onyx Path can do after they have churned out enough conversion material to enable them to build new parts of Scarred Lands.

I'll also be interested to see how much retro-conversion support they are able to provide. I'm still buying up 3e Scarred Lands products and new material is stuff that would be most useful to me.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Scarred Lands