Should scarn feel more postapocalyptic?

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
Cliffrice
Troll

Should scarn feel more postapocalyptic?

Post by Cliffrice » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:53 pm

Scarn just got over a cosmic war of god on titan violence that changed the face of the planet. countless species dies out in the struggle.

I find it weird that scarn is still basically like other D&D gameworlds. Should it be more like gammaworld with society becoming a barbaric it just doesn't seem like there was a war only a couple generations ago.

Thoughts?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Should scarn feel more postapocalyptic?

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 pm

I think I mentioned something similar in another thread.

Because my players have played in with many different DMs in many different settings, I always try to make an effort to make each new campaign and each new setting feel a little different than what they have experienced before. My thoughts were similar to yours that the things that make Scarn unique seem very toned down in the books and I would like to see those features be more prominent.

I don't know about post apocalyptic or gama world, but definitely scarred by epic warfare. Some ideas could be bones and skulls of gigantic creatures littering the wilderness. Lakes of blood. Mountains shattered by magical lightning. Entire villages burnt to the ground and never rebuilt. Dead forests. Vultures and other scavenger birds everywhere. Ruins are a hallmark of fantasy, but often for exploration. I think Scarn could have ruined structures everywhere. Perhaps even new rebuilt settlements are found nearby old ruined temples and castles. Some structures of old are so amazing that the people living in the region now could never imagine building them.

Bandits everywhere. Plagues running rampant. Empty places that were once filled with life. Lots of undead.

This is just a brain storm. I am not enough of an expert on this setting to really say what fits or not :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Another idea: the distinctive shattered moon from Thundarr the Barbarian.

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Well i say gamaworld because there are mutants in the form of creatures tainted by the essences of the defeated titans. I don think that society could bounce back after 63 years of continuous divine on titan world shattering war.

After the fall of rome Europe was plunged into the dark ages for several hundred years. On scarn Everywhere fell so i imagine it much worse.

True the orderly gods probably had a hand at holding everything together but some of the less orderly others were just as happy tearing it apart.

one can argue the world dodged the bullet because the titans were defeated but i think it would be a cool campaign point to have the world still in recovery.

Caesar Slaad
Goblin

Post by Caesar Slaad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:26 am

On Ghelspad, it comes down to: how important do you want Calastia to be? Obviously, a big militarily mighty nation with ambitions is taking advantage of the relatively weak state of its neighbors. Having a tyranical empire rise out of the ashes is a pretty big post apocalyptic theme (compare RIFTS coalition.) And it gives players something big they can struggle against.

But there is plenty of civilization around, if's that's the problem. But there are still big signs of the Godswar. I'm running a game in Shelzar right now and planning forays out of the city, the terrain severely limits the PCs' options.

If you want things really desperate, you can turn the clock forward and follow the story line in Echoes of the Past, where multiple LEGIONS of a major nation and a God's avatar just disappear heading into the lands controlled by the Slarecians. It that vision of Scarn, civilization could be up against the rope.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 am

Caesar Slaad wrote:If you want things really desperate, you can turn the clock forward and follow the story line in Echoes of the Past, where multiple LEGIONS of a major nation and a God's avatar just disappear heading into the lands controlled by the Slarecians. It that vision of Scarn, civilization could be up against the rope.
I've occasionally wondered if an Arcane Age meets Scarred Lands campaign (exploring the past, in an era where the Titans are still around) might be fun.

BTW: Welcome to The Piazza! You might want to pop over to the Introduce Yourself Here topic and say hi to the community. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

haazeven
Gnoll

Post by haazeven » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:15 pm

one can argue the world dodged the bullet because the titans were defeated but i think it would be a cool campaign point to have the world still in recovery.
I'm not that sure that the defeat of the titans is such a good thing. You could build an argument the other way around in fact: since the titans were responsibles for maintaining Scarn's cycles, and since the Cycle itself seems broken (we are supposed to be in the age of Denev, but if i remember correctly she is sleeping right now more than anything), you could have introduce weird effects (such as emergence of undeads, proximity with outer planes [aka demon invasions], possibly a "global warming" effect, etc etc)

Perhaps an easy way to make a post-apocalyptic campaign is to go in Asherak, where empires were literaly burnt to ashes (so that would make a nice "Mad Max" campaign setting ^^
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Cliffrice
Troll

Post by Cliffrice » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:24 am

there should definitely be large swathes of lawless land for sure.

Tenebrus
Orc

Post by Tenebrus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:49 am

I think that it feels VERY postapocalyptic. The scenery change between fantasy and modern(the most common backdrop for apoc settings) makes it less obvious IMO.

Most of the world is wilderness, for example.

Years ago, I ran a short game based around Hollowfaust, and the players commented that it felt like the city was effectively the lone bastion of civilization anywhere. Between the forests to the north where Mormo bled... the huge desert... and the simple fact of the city itself being *recently* built on the bones of a dead civilization it definitely felt like the world had only just started coming back from the brink.

That said, I'm less familiar with other regions of the world, so maybe it doesn't feel quite as apoc other places.
Now available Fun-Sized!

Return to “Scarred Lands”