[Scarred Lands] A Scarred Lands Primer

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
dfryer36
White Dragon

[Scarred Lands] A Scarred Lands Primer

Post by dfryer36 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Okay, so I figured that people might have questions about the Scarred Lands setting in general, so here is a good chance to ask your questions and have them answered by other Piazzans who are familiar with the setting. So ask away.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Scarred Lands] A Scarred Lands Primer

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks David.

The Sword and Sorcery Studios website has had a lot of content pulled down, so a lot of information is gone (unless you have an old URL to feed into The Wayback machine).

Do you know of a list of Scarred Lands products that explains what each one is and how it relates to the setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:Thanks David.

The Sword and Sorcery Studios website has had a lot of content pulled down, so a lot of information is gone (unless you have an old URL to feed into The Wayback machine).

Do you know of a list of Scarred Lands products that explains what each one is and how it relates to the setting?
Not off the top of my head. Of course I have most of the Scarred Lands products, so give me a few days and I should be able to put together a list on my own.

Edit: Actually, tomorrow starts finals weeks, so give me two weeks and then a couple of days.
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:01 am

One question:
Do you want the list to include products that aren't part of the Scarred Lands setting but do contain information about Scarn and the world? There are a few of those books out there, principley "The Player's Guide to" series.
David Fryer

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 pm

The good news is that I found a list of Scarred Lands books on Pen & Paper RPG Database.

EDIT: I think that Pen & Paper RPG have some books missing. I can't see the second Gazetteer in their list. :|

The bad news is that the Scarred Lands Wiki (which I would have expected to eventually have a lot more information) has gone down.
dfryer36 wrote:One question:
Do you want the list to include products that aren't part of the Scarred Lands setting but do contain information about Scarn and the world? There are a few of those books out there, principley "The Player's Guide to" series.
Good question. Trouble is, I don't know how much I need to know, if that makes sense. I am guessing that these books work a bit like WotC's "core = Greyhawk lite" thing, in that they are connected to Scarred Lands, but marketed to appeal to non-Scarred Lands players. I know that Relics & Rituals was like that. It told me stuff about the Titans and the Gods, but you could dump the religion and raid the rest of the book for another d20 System setting.

I suppose my primary interest would be: what is an "essential" product, what is a "nice to have but not essential" product and what is a "you don't really need this" product.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:30 pm

There are some products that seem to overlap, and I would like to know about how they relate to each other.

Is Creature Collection, Revised Ed. (2003) just a 3.5 version of Creature Collection (2000) or are there other changes (like incorporation of errata)? Does the new version have Level Adjustments (so you can use CC monsters as races? Did the original have this? Have they added content from post CC SL books into the monsters in the revised CC?

Is Creature Collection II: Dark Menagerie (2001) only available as a 3.0 version? Is there a web enhancement that converted it to 3.5 rules? (Does anyone have a copy of any Scarred Lands web enhancements?)

Does Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Ghelspad (2002) contain all the content from Scarred Lands Gazetteer: Ghelspad (2001) or do I need both books?

Does Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Termana (2003) contain all the content from the other Gazeteer (that I can't find on P&P) or do I need both of those?

Is Termana a sub-setting (like Dragonlance's Taladas)?

Strange Lands: Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands (2004) seems to be a multi-sub-setting product (like Dragonlance's Otherlands)? Are they somehow connected (by magical gates underground tunnels or somesuch) or is this just a book to give a GM the rest of the planet Scarn? Is there a Gazeteer (or anything else) that expands on these areas?

Is there a Scarn world map (somewhere) to show where all the sub-settings fit in with the main setting? Are there any non-developed continents on Scarn?

Has Creature Collection (4e) got any new monsters, or is it just conversions of 3e stuff? Is Fiery Dragon likely to continue development of Scarn or is this a one off deal?

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Okay, I had a long detailed response typed up and then my computer decided it hated me and Internet Explorer froze up and had to be rebooted. So I will try again.

1) Creature Collection Revised is indeed a 3.5 revision of the original Creature Collection. Some of the material has been updated with things like revised CR, but generally it is the same material. There were a few things taken out and a lot of stuff put in, and most of the monstrous races in CCR do have stats to play them as characters although most have pretty hefty Level Adjustments.

2) Creature Collection II was only released as a 3.0 book and there was never a revision on-line that I am aware of. There was also never any web enhancements that I know of.

3) I would suggest just getting the Campaign Settings if you only want one set. The gazeteers are nice, but the campaign settings are much more informative, provide more background, have prestige classes, and are generally more useful. Plus they are not written traveloge style, which was something that always annoyed me. Most, of not all, of the material in the gazeteer is in the campain settings.

4) Termania is a subsetting but it is closer to compare it to Xendrick or Mazteca then to compare it to Taladas.

5) Strange Lands contains 3 subsettings. Asherak is an Arabian Knights meets Dark Sun setting full of nomadic tribes and city states ruled by immortal god-kings. The Dragon Lands is an Oriental setting where the nation is ruled by clans of dragons. It is comparable in many ways to Exalted, without the Exalts themselves. Fenrilik is a perpetually ice shrouded Norse region and sees the least written about it. There is also a lot of new monsters and new dieties in that book, including the dire camel. :)

6) There has been no map of Scarn produced officially. There was an unofficial map on Scarn.com, but we know what happened there. We do have some clues to what the map might look like. Termanis is south and east of Ghelspad and is about as far from Ghelspad as Europe is from North America. Fenrilik is north and west of Ghelspad and is the closest continent to Ghelspad. I estimate that is about as close to Ghelspad as Greenland is to North America. Asherak and The Dragonlands are harder to place because we know where they are in relation to each other but not in relation to any other continent. The Dragon Lands are south of Asherak and in the southern most continent. I place Ashrak to the east of Ghelspad because there is the Rose Sea on the west coast and it is mentioned in Strange Lands that the Rose Sea is another name for the Blood Sea. I would place Asherak where Asia is and the Dragon Lands would be aproximately where Indonesia and Australia would be on our map.

7) The 4E Creature Compendium has monsters from all three Creature Compendiums, but no new monsters.
Last edited by dfryer36 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Fryer

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 am

Big Mac wrote:The good news is that I found a list of Scarred Lands books on Pen & Paper RPG Database.
That list is nowhere near complete. There is a heck of a lot more than what is listed, this I know for a fact (though I don't have a list of all that was published for the Scarred Lands). Additionally Relics & Rituals III was never released, but there are 2 other 'themed' R&R books; Excalibur & Olympus (neither of these are Scarred Lands supplements).

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:50 am

One other thing, there is no gate system or anything that connects the various contenents of Scarn. Just plain old fashioned sailing ships. And there is nothing published about the continents in Strange Lands beside that book because it was the final Scarred lands book published until the 4e Creature Collection came out.
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:48 am

Alright I have the time so, here is the list I have. I am missing three of the four novels, but I am pretty sure I have everything else.

Scarred Lands Products
Campaign Setting: Ghelspad
Campaign Setting: Termana
Blood Bayou
Blood Sea: the Crimson Abyss
Burok Torn: City Under Siege
Creature Collection (3.0)
Creature Collection Revised (3.5)
Creature Collection II: Dark Menagerie
Creature Collection III: Savage Bestiary
DM Screen/Companion
Echoes of the Past: The Slarecian Legacy
Edge of Infinity: The Scarred Planes
Hollowfaust: The City of Necromancers
Hornsaw: Forest of Blood
Mithril: City of the Golem
Secrets and Societies
Shelzar: City of Sin
Strange Lands: Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands
The Divine and The Defeated
The Faithful and The Forsaken
The Penumbral Pentagon
The Wise and The Wicked
Vigil Watch: Secrets of the Asaatthi
Vigil Watch: Warren of the Ratmen

Relics and Rituals
Relics and Rituals II: Lost Lore
Relics and Rituals: Excalibur
Relics and Rituals: Olympus

Player's Guide to Clerics and Druids
Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians
Player's Guide to Monks and Paladins'
Player's Guide to Rangers and Rogues
Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers

Champions of the Scarred Lands (Novel)

There are also three other novels. I can find out the names of them if you want to know
David Fryer

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 pm

dfryer36 wrote:Relics and Rituals: Excalibur
These two are not Scarred Lands exclusive and have no mentions of the campaign in them.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:10 am

dfryer36 wrote:Okay, I had a long detailed response typed up and then my computer decided it hated me and Internet Explorer froze up and had to be rebooted. So I will try again.
I hate that when it happens.
dfryer36 wrote:1) Creature Collection Revised is indeed a 3.5 revision of the original Creature Collection. Some of the material has been updated with things like revised CR, but generally it is the same material. There were a few things taken out and a lot of stuff put in, and most of the monstrous races in CCR do have stats to play them as characters although most have pretty hefty Level Adjustments.
Great. So I'll get that instead of the older version. I think it should be possible to knock together some special tables to split up the high LAs of monsters and make them playable as 1st level characters (like the ones in MWP's Races of Ansalon).
dfryer36 wrote:2) Creature Collection II was only released as a 3.0 book and there was never a revision on-line that I am aware of. There was also never any web enhancements that I know of.
Sounds like a 3.0-3.5 conversion netbook could be something that Scarred Lands fans could do.
dfryer36 wrote:3) I would suggest just getting the Campaign Settings if you only want one set. The gazeteers are nice, but the campaign settings are much more informative, provide more background, have prestige classes, and are generally more useful. Plus they are not written traveloge style, which was something that always annoyed me. Most, of not all, of the material in the gazeteer is in the campain settings.
Thanks. I'll go for the campaign setting books. From what I can tell, the Gazeteer books are better for old-school fans. So it is a win-win situation if I am not competing with them for the books that suit their style best.
dfryer36 wrote:4) Termania is a subsetting but it is closer to compare it to Xendrick or Mazteca then to compare it to Taladas.
I guess I'll find out if/when I buy it.
dfryer36 wrote:5) Strange Lands contains 3 subsettings. Asherak is an Arabian Knights meets Dark Sun setting full of nomadic tribes and city states ruled by immortal god-kings. The Dragon Lands is an Oriental setting where the nation is ruled by clans of dragons. It is comparable in many ways to Exalted, without the Exalts themselves. Fenrilik is a perpetually ice shrouded Norse region and sees the least written about it. There is also a lot of new monsters and new dieties in that book, including the dire camel. :)
A dire camel! :o Apart from that, this reminds me of the 2e Dragonlance book called Outlands. That had a few mini-settings in it.
dfryer36 wrote:6) There has been no map of Scarn produced officially. There was an unofficial map on Scarn.com, but we know what happened there. We do have some clues to what the map might look like. Termanis is south and east of Ghelspad and is about as far from Ghelspad as Europe is from North America. Fenrilik is north and west of Ghelspad and is the closest continent to Ghelspad. I estimate that is about as close to Ghelspad as Greenland is to North America. Asherak and The Dragonlands are harder to place because we know where they are in relation to each other but not in relation to any other continent. The Dragon Lands are south of Asherak and in the southern most continent. I place Ashrak to the east of Ghelspad because there is the Rose Sea on the west coast and it is mentioned in Strange Lands that the Rose Sea is another name for the Blood Sea. I would place Asherak where Asia is and the Dragon Lands would be aproximately where Indonesia and Australia would be on our map.
Actually, I don't know what happened to Scarn.com. They may be struggling to get back online. Hopefully someone out there has a backup of Scarn.com.
dfryer36 wrote:7) The 4E Creature Compendium has monsters from all three Creature Compendiums, but no new monsters.
Looks like I don't need this then (So one more copy for the 4e fans to get hold of).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:14 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
These two are not Scarred Lands exclusive and have no mentions of the campaign in them.
Scarred Lands had titans in it. That would seem to be similar to anything about Olympus.

Is there any mention of the deities in the Scarred Lands subsettings? Could the planet be similar to Forgotten Realms, with different pantheons on different continents?

If Scarn has a variety of religions, it might be possible to make a fanon link between Excalibur and Olympus. (Failing that, it might be possible to put them on different worlds in the same crystal sphere. :twisted: )

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Scarred Lands had titans in it. That would seem to be similar to anything about Olympus.

Is there any mention of the deities in the Scarred Lands subsettings? Could the planet be similar to Forgotten Realms, with different pantheons on different continents?

If Scarn has a variety of religions, it might be possible to make a fanon link between Excalibur and Olympus. (Failing that, it might be possible to put them on different worlds in the same crystal sphere. :twisted: )
The books don't provide a 'definable' campaign setting, but rather the elements necessary for creating one with one a certain type of feel (from two different options; Excalibur provide Arthurian and Exclaibur options). I don't own Olympus, but do have Excalibur.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 am

Big Mac wrote:
dfryer36 wrote:4) Termania is a subsetting but it is closer to compare it to Xendrick or Mazteca then to compare it to Taladas.
I guess I'll find out if/when I buy it.
Termania is hard to pin down as a setting. It has a few human kingdoms situated on the west coast of the continent, a few elven nations on the north eastern coast, the Chardunian Empire on the east coast, and a whole lot of nothing everywhere else. The continent is much larger than Ghelspad; Kadum's Blight, a large bay on the north coast could actually hold most of Ghelspad in it's borders. To the south you find the Centaur Plains, which are very similar to Mongolia in nature, the Iron Desert, which makes a good Dark Sun analog, A massive jungle similar to the amazon and home to gnomes, cat-folk, and the only group of Yuan-ti outside of Wizards. Somehow Sword and Sorcery convinced Wizards to let them use them under licence. There is so much to tell about the continent that it is hard to know where to start and where to end. It is where you will find the Smiling Jack and his carnival, therer is the Isle of the Dead which is home to an undead horde similar to WoW's Scourge, and there is an invading abyssal army similar to the Burning Legion currently trapped on the Eternal Isle in the center of Kadum's Blight. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
David Fryer

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 am

I got an email saying drivethrurpg has Scarred Lands products on sale. Is there a starting place for the setting? It sounds like there isn't and that it is all pieces you can use as you like.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:46 pm

The best starting place is the Ghelspad or Termania campaign settings. Those two books have a good overview of the different continents and the history of the Scarred Lands as it relates to that continent.
David Fryer

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm still struggling with this. It doesn't help that I bought some things and can't remember exactly what I bought. :oops:

EDIT: I searched my stash and crossed out the stuff I've got so far.
dfryer36 wrote:Scarred Lands Products
Campaign Setting: Termana - got this
Blood Bayou
Creature Collection (3.0)- got this, but should have gone for the revised collection
Creature Collection III: Savage Bestiary - got this
DM Screen/Companion
Secrets and Societies
The Faithful and The Forsaken- got this
The Penumbral Pentagon
The Wise and The Wicked
How many of these are "setting" material?
dfryer36 wrote:Relics and Rituals- got this - it was my first Scarred Lands product and my first 3PP 3e product
Relics and Rituals: Excalibur- probably won't get this, although it might fit in with 2e's Legends & Lore stuff
Relics and Rituals: Olympus- I might still get this to raid for Greatspace

I'm figuring that R&R II could be desirable, but not essential.

dfryer36 wrote:Player's Guide to Clerics and Druids
Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians- got this
Player's Guide to Monks and Paladins
Player's Guide to Rangers and Rogues- got this
Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers- got this

I've got some of these, but I need to work out which ones to buy. The first one I checked actually had some stuff that could be used as the basis of in-character organisations.

dfryer36 wrote:Champions of the Scarred Lands (Novel)

There are also three other novels. I can find out the names of them if you want to know

I'd be interested in these. Some novels are fairly cheap on the second hand market.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm still struggling with this. It doesn't help that I bought some things and can't remember exactly what I bought. :oops:
dfryer36 wrote:Scarred Lands Products
Campaign Setting: Termana
Blood Bayou
Creature Collection (3.0)
Creature Collection III: Savage Bestiary
DM Screen/Companion
Secrets and Societies
The Faithful and The Forsaken
The Penumbral Pentagon
The Wise and The Wicked
How many of these are "setting" material?
Everything except the Creature Collections, The DM Screen, and perhaps The Wise and The Wicked are setting materials. However, some of them are highly focused like the city books. I would start with the two campaign settings and The Divine and The Defeated and work from there.
Big Mac wrote:
dfryer36 wrote:Relics and Rituals
Relics and Rituals: Excalibur
I'm figuring that R&R II could be desirable, but not essential.
Neither of the Relics and Rituals books are essential but they do have a lot of great new magic items PrCs, and spells in them both. Excalibur and Olympus have nothing to do with the Scarred Lands at all.
Big Mac wrote:
dfryer36 wrote:Player's Guide to Clerics and Druids
Player's Guide to Fighters and Barbarians
Player's Guide to Monks and Paladins'
Player's Guide to Rangers and Rogues
Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers
I've got some of these, but I need to work out which ones to buy. The first one I checked actually had some stuff that could be used as the basis of in-character organisations.
All of them are useful. I would say pick the ones that are going to most affect your game and work from there.
Big Mac wrote:
dfryer36 wrote:Champions of the Scarred Lands (Novel)

I'd be interested in these. Some novels are fairly cheap on the second hand market.
The other three novels are the Dead God Trilogy and are titled Forsaken, Forsworn, and Forbidden. They are written by Richard Lee Byers.
David Fryer

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks! David. I updated my post. Hopefully, I'll work out a wishlist and get some more cheap stuff soon (I've not paid full price for a single Scarred Lands product yet).

Return to “Scarred Lands”