Scarred Lands Novels?

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.

Scarred Lands Novels?

Postby Havard » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:38 pm

I came across something called the Dead Gods Trilogy while browsing the web. How many novels were published for the Scarred Lands setting, and what's the general opinion on them?

Edit: Here's what's been reported so far:

Dead Gods Trilogy
Scarred Lands (Forsaken: Dead God Trilogy, Book 1)
Forsworn (Dead God Trilogy, Book 2)
Scarred Lands: Forbidden (Dead God, Book 3)

Other Literature
Champions of The Scarred Lands Anthology

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun May 24, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Scarred Lands Novels?

Postby Big Mac » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Never heard of them before.

Amazon finds:

Scarred Lands (Forsaken: Dead God Trilogy, Book 1)
Forsworn (Dead God Trilogy, Book 2)
Scarred Lands: Forbidden (Dead God, Book 3)

They are all by Richard Lee Byers, who I have also not heard of. He seems to do a lot of shared-world novels for different people. Maybe someone here has one of his other books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dfryer36 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Richard Lee Byers is a great author, although I have not read these particular books. He is the author of the Brotherhood of the Griffin trilogy and the Haunted Lands trilogy in the Forgotten Realms. If you can get your hands on the novels I would recommend reading them.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby Conway » Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 am

I enjoyed the Dead God Trilogy novels and they served as a great primer for me when starting up my Scarred Lands campaign.
Conway
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 16, 2011 12:50 am

I'll look out for these, and buy them if I see them cheap enough.

Are there any other books, short stories or comic books, or is this it?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Fri May 01, 2015 1:19 am

Big Mac wrote:Are there any other books, short stories or comic books, or is this it?

I've also found a collection of short stories called: Champions of The Scarred Lands Anthology.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby haazeven » Sun May 24, 2015 4:28 am

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any other books, short stories or comic books, or is this it?

I've also found a collection of short stories called: Champions of The Scarred Lands Anthology.

I read it some times ago. It gives a good introduction to the Scarred Lands (with an introduction to the Dead God Trilogy), with a mixture of important heroics (such as Barconius fight against the Penumbral Pentagon) and smaller-scale adventures. It is not great literature, but it's quite fun to read, introduces some spells or concepts from Relics & Rituals (such as the Body of Corean spells) or creatures from the Creature Collection. It might be a good thing to give to player's to introduce them to the setting, maybe.
Scarred Lands Sanctuary - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands
haazeven
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:12 am

haazeven wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I read it some times ago. It gives a good introduction to the Scarred Lands (with an introduction to the Dead God Trilogy), with a mixture of important heroics (such as Barconius fight against the Penumbral Pentagon) and smaller-scale adventures. It is not great literature, but it's quite fun to read, introduces some spells or concepts from Relics & Rituals (such as the Body of Corean spells) or creatures from the Creature Collection. It might be a good thing to give to player's to introduce them to the setting, maybe.

Thanks.

I've been reading stories of other campaign settings (mostly D&D settings so far) to get the vibe of the setting. It seems like this book is worth a look.

Is it novel size or RPG book size?

I've also seen the new Pathfinder/5e Scarred Lands Kickstarter campaign mention a new short story by Richard Lee Byers (who wrote the Dead Gods trilogy) but they haven't said the name of the story yet. They also have not said what is going to happen with the story. I wonder if they will republish Champions of The Scarred Lands Anthology with the new story tacked onto the end. :?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby haazeven » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Is it novel size or RPG book size?
The French edition was novel size, I imagine the US edition too ^^

I've also seen the new Pathfinder/5e Scarred Lands Kickstarter campaign mention a new short story by Richard Lee Byers (who wrote the Dead Gods trilogy) but they haven't said the name of the story yet. They also have not said what is going to happen with the story. I wonder if they will republish Champions of The Scarred Lands Anthology with the new story tacked onto the end. :?
That could be a good idea ^^ I'm not sure however that they are going for a print version of that new story (or a re-print of Champions of the Scarred Lands), it is probably low on their list of priorities...
Scarred Lands Sanctuary - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands
haazeven
Gnoll

Return to Scarred Lands