Fangsfall Online Chat Game

150 years after the defeat of the Titans, the world remains scarred and untamed.
The Book-House: Find Scarred Lands products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Fangsfall Online Chat Game

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:00 pm

I read about this on Wikipedia. Did anything ever come of it? I see that it is a text based game, which seems like an oddity these days.

-Havard

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Now I know the proper name for this, I am going to put on my Global Moderating Giant Space Hamster hat and change the name of this topic from "Scarred Lands Online?" to "Fangsfall Online Chat Game" so that any players of the old game find it easier to find the topic on a search engine.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Plaag
Troll

Re: Fangsfall Online Chat Game

Post by Plaag » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Yes this was real, I was a DM for the Fangsfall chat. It was quite successful at the time since Skype, etc I don't believe existed. Not sure when the chat ended or even if White Wolf has any of them still going for that matter.

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Very interesting. Did Scarred Lands Online have any special rules or campaign documents (like Living Greyhawk)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:Very interesting. Did Scarred Lands Online have any special rules or campaign documents (like Living Greyhawk)?
For the most part the setting for the chat (Fangsfall and region around the city) was constantly evolving as more and more products from White Wolf were released. The region wasn't but a blurb at the time, later Conrad wrote the city and more detail in the setting book. No real documents that I recall, though I did make an effort to write a gazetteer with others for the region - which I want to say got me recognized by Bill Webb and Clark Peterson of Necromancer Games and the opportunity to write for Bards Gate.
It was a fun place to play during the onset - I was the Rogue DM so got to set up the guild, run adventures for a diverse crowd and generally have a good time (sort of addicted in a way like some are to WoW, though not that addicted :) ) I was able to meet a bunch of people of which I stay in contact with sparingly. I'd have to look and see what I still have printed/saved from that time.

ShaneG.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Plaag, if you had any of the documents still around and are at liberty to share them I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently running my own campaign in Fangsfall and that region and would love your input.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Plaag wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Very interesting. Did Scarred Lands Online have any special rules or campaign documents (like Living Greyhawk)?
For the most part the setting for the chat (Fangsfall and region around the city) was constantly evolving as more and more products from White Wolf were released. The region wasn't but a blurb at the time, later Conrad wrote the city and more detail in the setting book. No real documents that I recall, though I did make an effort to write a gazetteer with others for the region - which I want to say got me recognized by Bill Webb and Clark Peterson of Necromancer Games and the opportunity to write for Bards Gate.
I'm with (the other) David. I would love to see this Gazetteer get brought back, as a fan netbook, if you are still interested.
Plaag wrote:It was a fun place to play during the onset - I was the Rogue DM so got to set up the guild, run adventures for a diverse crowd and generally have a good time (sort of addicted in a way like some are to WoW, though not that addicted :) ) I was able to meet a bunch of people of which I stay in contact with sparingly. I'd have to look and see what I still have printed/saved from that time.
That sounds fun. Maybe you can tell us some stories about it.

Did it have fixed adventures for GMs to run, like Living Greyhawk, or was it a bit more freeform?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Mon May 16, 2011 9:11 pm

It was totally freeform. Adventure summaries were posted on the DM yahoo group so the others could see what was being done and handed out to players.

I'm not sure I can provide the gazetteer as anything created on the yahoo groups that Conrad was a part of supposedly belongs to White Wolf, not to sure on that part though. Also tracking down the other contributors might be impossible now.

As for stories, if I have the time and can drudge up tidbits, etc then I shall post them.

ShaneG.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Plaag wrote:I'm not sure I can provide the gazetteer as anything created on the yahoo groups that Conrad was a part of supposedly belongs to White Wolf, not to sure on that part though. Also tracking down the other contributors might be impossible now.
If you are in touch with Clark Peterson, I wonder if he could swing you a fan licence that allows this to be published without diminishing White Wolf's trademark status.

Paizo do this sort of thing for Pathfinder and it seems to work well for them (with fan projects like Wayfarer magazine being received well by fans).

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Have found the gazetteer and relevant maps I've done for it. Also seeing if I have the permission to provide said material.

ShaneG.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks Shane.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 23, 2015 10:19 am

I just found the webpage for the Fangsfall Online Chat Game at the Wayback Machine:
Fangsfall Online Chat Game wrote:ImageImage

Welcome to Sword and Sorcery Studio's totally FREE Java-based Chats game setting. This is an online environment wherein you can take part in the Scarred Lands campaign world. The online setting uses the mysterious and exciting city of Fangsfall.

New Information from the Scarred Lands Ghelspad Gazetteer:
Fangsfall
Official or Predominant Worship: Officially Corean; in actuality any, but especially Enkili
Complete Name: Fangsfall
Ruler: Lord Killian Vrail
Government: Military dictatorship.
Population Composition Estimate: Unknown, very mixed
Allies: None
Enemies: None
Lord Vrail, heir to the ancestrally ruled city-state Rahoch, will instead have only meager Fangsfall to pass along to his children. Vrail and the men devoted to him, including a small force of Corean's paladins (who had been stationed in Rahoch, as Rahoch and Mithril worked to establish sound ties), barely escaped the besieged city-state. Their story is a long one, but it eventually lands them in the southwestern corner of the continent, at Fangsfall, now a destination for the multitudes displaced by King Virduk's rampage.
Lord Vrail has watched his city grow out of control, owing to a lack of planning, the proximity of titanspawn and the inexorable waves of refugees that continue to find their way there. This deteriorating situation has obviously soured a once-better man; there are rumors that he is becoming more tyrannical as time passes, though this may be an unkind exaggeration promulgated by those he is trying to whip back into shape.

Chat Game Introduction: The city of Fangsfall stands on the southern coast of the continent of Ghelspad. It lies far to the east of Calastia, where King Virduk rules, and of the dwarven home, Burok Torn. Cut off from much of the continent by the Swamps of Kan Thet and the Devil's March, on the coast of Liar's Sound is where this independent city has grown. But even so, Fangsfall is glutted with refugees from the war of conquest King Virduk has waged upon the neighboring regions. Oftentimes such refugees arrived starved and clinging for their lives to the boat in which they escaped one of Calastia's coastal domains. Other times refugees, particularly political ones seeking asylum far from Calastia, cross over-land bearing all that they can carry, hoping to start a new life.

Tensions run high and desperate people are dangerous people. Though Calastia is more than 1000 miles away, paranoia about Calastian spies mixes with real and imagined plots by sinister local cults. The shantytowns gathered outside the city walls are disease-ridden dens of misery, which surpass the city guards capacity to patrol and encourage robbery and lawlessness. Worse still, the great stone quarry nearby, reputedly the site of one of the shattered fangs of the titan Gaurak has fallen to control of a warband of marauding humanoids who have turned its twisting tunnels into their own fortress from which to launch raids on the surrounding countryside. Some whisper that they have woken even more fearsome creatures from the cavernous depths of Gaurak's fang. Others wonder at the wisdom of using the tainted quarry to build the city. Welcome to Fangsfall, the city of second chances. Will you help heal these Scarred Lands?

Most of our site is in-character chatting. Please note the rooms labeled with *OOC are for Out Of Character chatting. Please respect other player's games. Before you make a character, please read the most current Chat Update and Info. You might also want to join the Scarred Lands Forum and check out the official Fangsfall Location Descriptions. If you need to contact one of the official DMs for the chat, then check the DM Contact List.
That's pretty interesting. It sounds like the Fangsfall Online Chat Game had a similar sort of area to Forgotten Realms's Living CIty campaign (although this is online chat and not organised play). I wonder how the level of detail of the two campaigns compared.

Now I know the proper name for this, I am going to put on my Global Moderating Giant Space Hamster hat and change the name of this topic from "Scarred Lands Online?" to "Fangsfall Online Chat Game" so that any players of the old game find it easier to find the topic on a search engine.

It is weird that the game was hosted on a website that did not have a URL. I wonder if that changed later, or if the game was taken offline from that website sometime after September 2005, without any new information being uploaded to the website.

There is a bit more information on the Fangsfall Chat Information Page:
Fangsfall Chat Information Page wrote:Fangsfall Chat Information Page

This chat uses the rules from ONLY the three core 3rd edition books and books specifically published by Sword and Sorcery Studios for the Scarred Lands. So far those additional books include the Creature Collection and Relics and Rituals. Upcoming releases include the Scarred Lands Gazetteer: Ghelspad and the Creature Collection 2.

When you create a character, you will be given a choice of icon for your character race: Humans get a Leonardo da Vinci Human icon, elves get the tree, halflings an acorn, dwarves an axe, half-elves a half-human half-tree symbol, monsters get a skull, half-orcs get a half-human half-skull symbol and city guards have their own symbol. Regardless of which symbol you choose, you will initially be marked with a large Red X until your character is approved by one of the Dungeon Masters.

We are using the Standard 25 Point Buy system on page 19 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Any character which does not follow that system will not be Approved for play. If you have the Character Generator CD, there is even an option to use the 25 Point Buy system built into it. Do yourself a favor and make up a first level character by the rules so you can get started in the fun as soon as possible.

Experience points: Your character will receive 25 XP for every real life day that you play. In addition Dungeon Masters MAY choose to hand out Bonus XP for excellent roleplaying and/or adventuring. We will be using the moderately easy suggestion from the Variable Experience option from page 168 of the DMG whereby the most that you can get is 50 XP TIMES your current character level per real life day. This counts the fact that the experience online is easy to gain and helps control the fact that online characters tend to advance much faster than tabletop simply because people habitually play every day. Common sense should tell you that arguing with Dungeon Masters about rules or experience bonuses is likely to cause you to lose experience points or not gain them in the first place.

Quick announcement: Though current players will be allowed to continue to use their gnomes, no new Gnome characters may be created. It has been revealed that gnomes are virtually nonexistent on the Ghelspad continent of Scarn and that the gnomes currently residing in Fangsfall are an anomaly. Also, check out the new Fangsfall Area Map above, and the Fangsfall Shield below. Read the official room descriptions.

Fangsfall Scarred Lands chat is a Moderated chat. That means that Dungeon Masters are here to help settle arguments and run adventures and roleplaying scenarios. The chat is free, though, and that means that these folks are volunteers. Please treat them with respect--they are here to make the game fun for everyone and deserve thanks for the time they are investing to make the game good for us all. Sometimes you may find yourself in a situation where no Dungeon Master is present. As long as the rest of the players there are having fun too, and are consenting participants in the chat going on, you should be able to have lots of fun roleplaying together without immediate moderation of every action. Remember that this is all a game and you should all be having fun, but NOT at the expense of other people. Respect others' games. That being said, Sword and Sorcery Studio is empowering a very small crew of people to act as DMs, with the power to boot your login if you are making trouble for other people. They may reduce your experience points or even UnApprove your character. They may also report your IP to us, so that we can eliminate you from the chat and you may lose your character so that even if you change computers you will not be able to play. This is not meant to sound harsh, but anyone with experience in online chats will be quite familiar with the fact that some people just need to go play somewhere else because they can't play nice and seem determined to ruin other's enjoyment of the game.
That only shows the first four Scarred Lands books, and the note about gnomes being banned for new characters kind of sounds like play started before the designers decided that gnomes were not found in Fangsfall. I wonder what effect that had on the early chat games. Were there other things in the online games that were invalidated by the gazetteer?

Last, but not least, I've found a Fangsfall Locations on the archive of the main Scarred Lands website:
Fangsfall Locations wrote:Fangsfall Locations

This is a list of the official permanent rooms in the Sword & Sorcery Fangsfall RPG chat. Other rooms will be created on a temporary basis by Dungeon Masters and even players, but these are the backbone of the city's theme. Any time you play in these rooms or temporary rooms please try to help evoke the unique flavor of Fangsfall and the Scarred Lands. You will find it is well worth the strength it lends the setting.

Note that the location descriptions may change from time to reflect campaign happenings, and that they will certainly be expanded, hopefully to soon include maps, etc.
I've checked all the individual pages, but they do not have any maps on them, so it looks like that didn't get done - at least it didnt' get done on this website.

I wonder how the information that Plaag mentioned compares to this. (I might have to ping Shane and remind him about this topic. ;) )

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Sat May 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Damn that takes me back. :)

As for maps, they never did any for the region in print that I recall, other then that bit you show. The map I did with help from others was purely a labor of love at the time.

As for being able to post any of it, I have not really checked into it. Would not even know how to contact those that helped with the unofficial gazetteer.

ShaneG.
Last edited by Plaag on Sat May 23, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Someone from Onyx Path posted a link to the Fangsfall Chat page on the White Wolf Wiki over on their official Scarred Lands page. :)

It's pretty much the same information that the Fangsfall Locations pages contained, but that does make me confident that I've not missed anything, so it was very helpful. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Plaag wrote:Damn that takes me back. :)
This topic is sponsored by The Sovereign Council of Hollowfaust. ;)
Plaag wrote:As for maps, they never did any for the region in print that I recall, other then that bit you show. The map I did with help from others was purely a labor of love at the time. I still think it was that drive to create for the chat site and having both Bill Webb and Clark Peterson be on there that got me the opportunity to write for Necromancer Games (check out Bards Gate ;) )
Did you do the map, all by yourself? Perhaps you could post that, even if you are unable to post other stuff, that you made with different people.
Plaag wrote:As for being able to post any of it, I have not really checked into it. Would not even know how to contact those that helped with the unofficial gazetteer.
Well, I would love to see this stuff Shane. Obviously something that was free would be great, but I think you should consider if your gazetteer project is something that could be sold to Onyx Path, as a new Scarred Lands product.

I had a Scarred Lands Fangsfall DM post in Scarred Lands Reborn, when I mentioned this topic over there. I don't know if he was on your gazetteer team, but it might be possible to get in touch with some of the designers and seek their permission.

How many people were involved? Do you have a list of names?

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Well I just sent an email to Onyx Publishing about me being able to post anything, so I shall have to see what they say.

I would also have to dig out all this again. I think the CD is not packed away (and yes its that old its on one of my various CD-Rs :D )

ShaneG.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:38 am

I just found out that Conrad Hubbard designed Fangsfall, after seeing him mention Fangsfall and sending him a message. :cool:

I've told him about this forum (and this topic). He might come over here to talk about it. Everyone cross your fingers. :)

It would be awsome to get him to look over Plaag's map.

Rach
Kobold

Post by Rach » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:23 am

It's been a while but I was co-head DM (Ray was the other) there for a long while (and City Guard / Military DM before that) . If there's anything you're interested in I could probably answer.

I also maintained the companion site for the chat. We had a pretty full, detailed city map I made up along with a bunch of other write ups, and info that was on the website. I also had a script on the page that converted the current real-life day into the appropriate Scarred Lands calendar day (and moon-phase too iirc) but I doubt that would still function.

There is a fair chance I still have it on a spare hard-drive. I archived all the website work I did so if anyone is interested I could dig it out :)

I was also head dm for a while on the Ravenloft chat, Rookhausen, but I wasn't a huge Ravenloft person and did that more to help out. I was a massive Scarred Lands fan though, bought all the books as they came out and dug through them for ideas for Fangsfall. One of the high points I remember was running a huge all day full battle where characters could come and help defeat an army of (if I recall correctly), slitheren (ratmen). It was a lot of work coordinating all the DMs and assistant DMs along with a pile or players who popped in and out all day long but it was massive fun (and a great excuse to clear up a lot of loose ends in different plotlines that had been abandoned over the course of a few years).

On the whole it was a lot of fun but once MMOs really took over the online gaming scene is kind of faded and we lost a lot of players. Anyhows I got nostalgic, googled fangsfall to see if anyone was still talking about it and stumbled upon this. :) I'll check around for those archives/maps if anyone is still interested in it.

~Rachel

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Rach wrote:It's been a while but I was co-head DM (Ray was the other) there for a long while (and City Guard / Military DM before that) .
Hi Rach. Welcome to The Piazza. Thanks for signing up to talk to us. Sorry I didn't notice your reply before. :oops:

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic, to say "hi" to the wider community.
Rach wrote:If there's anything you're interested in I could probably answer.
Yes please. I did some research, via the Wayback Machine. Did I miss anything?
Rach wrote:I also maintained the companion site for the chat. We had a pretty full, detailed city map I made up along with a bunch of other write ups, and info that was on the website. I also had a script on the page that converted the current real-life day into the appropriate Scarred Lands calendar day (and moon-phase too iirc) but I doubt that would still function.
Is that the website I linked to above or another website that I don't know about?

I think I saw a similar script on Dragonlance Nexus that did stuff with the date to work out the phases of Krynn's moons. Things like that are pretty fun, but mostly useful if you are going to run a campaign in real time (with a week in the real world giving you a week in the gameworld). I saw an Eberron script that allowed users to put in their own dates. That was pretty cool.

I don't think I found your map. I'd love to see that.
Rach wrote:There is a fair chance I still have it on a spare hard-drive. I archived all the website work I did so if anyone is interested I could dig it out :)
Yes please! Yes please! Yes please!
Rach wrote:I was also head dm for a while on the Ravenloft chat, Rookhausen, but I wasn't a huge Ravenloft person and did that more to help out. I was a massive Scarred Lands fan though, bought all the books as they came out and dug through them for ideas for Fangsfall. One of the high points I remember was running a huge all day full battle where characters could come and help defeat an army of (if I recall correctly), slitheren (ratmen). It was a lot of work coordinating all the DMs and assistant DMs along with a pile or players who popped in and out all day long but it was massive fun (and a great excuse to clear up a lot of loose ends in different plotlines that had been abandoned over the course of a few years).
Wow! A massive war sounds a lot of fun.

Did you keep logs of the chatroom, to work out how these things worked out?
Rach wrote:On the whole it was a lot of fun but once MMOs really took over the online gaming scene is kind of faded and we lost a lot of players. Anyhows I got nostalgic, googled fangsfall to see if anyone was still talking about it and stumbled upon this. :) I'll check around for those archives/maps if anyone is still interested in it.
MMOs are easier - more seductive. ;)

If you (or anyone else) ever wants to get something like a Fangsfall Play-by-Post game going, there is a special forum at The Piazza, called The Crystal Globe for that sort of thing. :)

I don't know if you noticed, but Scarred Lands has come back into print and there is a Kickstarter campaign to convert Scarred Lands to Pathfinder RPG and 5e D&D going on right now. You might want to get in touch with the new publishers and see if they would be interested in working with you (and Ray or anyone else still around) to get a Fangsfall Gazeteer published. :)

Return to “Scarred Lands”