[Mongoose Traveller] Converting aliens to Pathfinder?

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Mongoose Traveller] Converting aliens to Pathfinder?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:47 pm

I wonder if anyone has had any experience with converting Mongoose Traveller aliens and PC races to Pathfinder. Are there conversions already done? Are there guidelines somewhere online to help expedite the conversion?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Mongoose Traveller] Converting aliens to Pathfinder?

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:38 am

I can't speak to this conversion specifically, but I find that when systems are dramatically different (as in this case), it's easier to go back to what makes a particular monster/alien iconic, and either find an existing monster in your system of choice that has a similar property, or add that property to a monster, or build one from scratch. If an alien is big and tough and has low intelligence, maybe I can reskin an orc or an ogre. If the alien waits in ambush and then grapples victims, perhaps I reskin a roper. If that big, touch alien also has laser eyes, I might just add that to the orc, rather than build something from scratch. Only when it's the boss monster and there's truly no good equivalent will I spend the time building something from scratch -- and that's quite rare for me.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I know people who enjoy monster building, and my advice would sound like I was trying to take away half their fun when adventure prepping. Personally, I try to keep my prep to a minimum.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Mongoose Traveller] Converting aliens to Pathfinder?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

I'm familiar with re-skinning...that is doable. Thanks, Tim!

Return to “Pathfinder”