Using Miniatures with Traveller?

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

Using Miniatures with Traveller?

Postby Freedom92 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:54 am

Has anyone done it? I've always found it easier to keep track of movement with miniatures and maps and the last few sessions I've been in combat has gotten tricky and messy since we got to the point of being unsure exactly where everyone was standing and if it was safe to even shoot without hitting one of the other players.

Anyone have experience with this? What is your opinion? Also maps you can suggest with scifi feel along with miniatures?
Freedom92
Bugbear

Re: Using Miniatures with Traveller?

Postby BlackBat242 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:30 am

We used them only for combat... and then only when necessary.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 am

Pretty interesting topic.

We have never used miniatures with sci fi games, just sketched up drawings on a piece of paper whenever needed.

I do recall seeing some cool sci fi floor plans on Dragonsfoot some time ago. I will see if I can find the thread.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:01 pm

(Another thread resurrection, for you "More Senior Members" memists!) ;)

Although I do have a few (too few) sci-fi based minis from Gamma World, Traveller, Star Frontiers and Star Wars, I have a lot of counters that came with one or more Traveller boxed sets or Star Frontiers Alpha Dawn or Knight Hawks sets. The great thing about counters is also the bad thing about counters: their small size.

While very adaptable to large scale maps, they're of a size too small to place and re-locate each turn easily or accurately.

I had the same problem with Star Fleet Battles ship counters: one bad bump on the table, or accidentally shifting the map will send the counters skittering all over. Basically a PITA. Minis could be more useful for one inch = 5 or 10 feet/1 to 3 yards/meters scaled maps, but having maps of Ahzanti Lightning Class cruisers would get very tedious and take up a lot of table/floor space.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby The Dark » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:43 am

Steve Jackson Games did 6 sets of Traveller deck plans: the Free Trader, Modular Cutter, Far Trader, Assault Cutter, Scout Courier, and System Defense Boat.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:39 pm

The Dark wrote:Steve Jackson Games did 6 sets of Traveller deck plans: the Free Trader, Modular Cutter, Far Trader, Assault Cutter, Scout Courier, and System Defense Boat.

I forgot about those! :facepalm: I have the Modular Cutter, and based on the quality of that one alone, I'd gladly pick up the others SJG put out. :geek:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Frost Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Return to Traveller