Anyone playing Traveller?

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

Anyone playing Traveller?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:24 am

I'm thinking more and more of a Traveller mashup game. If anyone is playing/GMing I'd like to hear about your games.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Anyone playing Traveller?

Postby Freedom92 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:26 pm

I've been wanting to run traveller lately as well but I've only played and the guy running it has had work take all his time.

In one game for the first 30 minutes to a hour I played Dr.Dredge, a back ally doctor who 'left' med school because he was consider eccentric. Yet he was very charismatic, got the crew their first job, put in his ship shares for the ship, and the captain repaid him with booting him from the crew because he made him uncomfortable. Also over heard him tell other members of crew that he was going to confine me to medbay and shoot me out the airlock. I had to roll another character and it was a agent named Zeta, he did recon and had to play captain because the real captain had no social skills to speak of besides being hard headed and thinking violence and threat are the only answers to a diplomatic situation. That adventure ended strangely, we ended with a cargo drop of platinum.

I've written the premise of the game I want to run. Search and Rescue is how it starts but what they find isnt what they expected and getting out alive may be a problem.(Blame Helix, Lovecraft, and Deadspace 3!)
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

I've played in several Traveller Campaigns, including MegaTraveller, Traveller New Era and one campaign that was used WEG's MasterBook rules.

The TNE campaign is probably the one I remember the most. It drew some inspiration from the X-Files, mainly dealing with multiple layers of conspiracies within the government.

My current sci fi campaign is not really a Traveller Game, but it probably could have been fit into the Traveller Universe with little difficulty. The PCs take the role of Black Ops agents being sent to deal with various unstable governments on different planets. In the first chapter they were working to defeat a group of fanatically religious terrorists. In the second chapter they are working to remove a dictator from power. Although it is not yet known to the players, a much darker evil lurks behind all of the individual storylines.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:24 pm

I'll be running a few games at TravellerCon come October.
A new day calls for a race. Download the Book of Heroic Races: Advanced Subscription today.

Dale McCoy, Jr.
Jon Brazer Enterprises
dmccoy1693
Goblin

Postby Michael Tumey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 pm

I just picked up Mongoose Traveller and the 2300 setting guide just last week - really only because I wanted the planet creation rules, and to look at ship combat rules for a home game using Pathfinder, not Traveller as the system for the game. It will be somewhat of a mashup between various PF 3PP content for 3D combat from Geek Industrial Complex Companions of the Firmament, DSP Psionics, EN Publishing Santiago, Paizo Pathfinder Technology Guide, my custom Starship Pilot class, as well as some aspects of Traveller shoehorned in.
Michael Tumey
Bugbear

Postby BlackBat242 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 am

While its not my cup of tea, if you can find a copy of this, it will be 95%+ compatible with Pathfinder (as it uses the D20 rules as its base).

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10077.phtml

Unfortunately, with the entry of Mongoose into the Traveller universe, the license for Traveller20 (along with several other versions) was ended - and the creator, Hunter Gordon, passed away from cancer January 24, 2013, ending his attempt to replace T20 with a generic SciFi20 game.

If you can find second-hand copies, that would be the way to go.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:09 pm

I've been threatening to get out my Classic Traveller books & start re-reading them for sci-fi inspiration. Not that I'm getting bored with D&D5e, its just time to switch mental gears for a brief time. ;)

I recently uncovered a physical copy of Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials, which I enjoyed muchly, and this online Traveller character generator have inspired me to take a look at what I have for a CT campaign outline. The last I left it, I was determined to make a Referee Friendly Traveller game that would herd the players about in a controllable fashion, and not make it feel so railroady (because the open-ended galaxy sized sandbox that is the Traveller Universe is infinite...) would still rely on random tables of "this happens" or "you wind up going here..." and a ton of ad-libbing.

Unfortunately, my organization skills are very terrible, so getting the outlines, tables, and other materials needed for a dozen different off-the-cuff adventures and organized for efficiency is nigh on impossible for me at this time. Ack! Well, baby steps, as they say... :ugeek:

...and my 7th character generated with said online generator ended generation upon getting deceased!
† Navy Starman Hiroto Yamamoto 353993 Age 46 7 terms
Service History: Attempted to enlist in Navy.
Enlistment accepted.
Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.
Death in service.

Ayup. I'm really jonesin' for some Classic "Death in Char-Gen!" Traveller now! :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby The Dark » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:16 am

My fifth character using the online generator:

† Scout Hugo White A66836 Age 22
1 term
Service History:
Attempted to enlist in Scouts.
Enlistment accepted.
Death in service.

Alas, poor Hugo. His attempt to get the Jack Of All Trades skill backfired horribly.

The very next character:
Merchant 4th Officer Youssef Santos A88AC7 Age 46
7 terms Cr31,000
Skills: Gunnery-1, Mechianical-2, Medical-2, Navigation-1, Pilot-1, Spear-1, Steward-2, Vacc Suit-1
Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, Low Passage, Low Passage, Low Passage
Service History:
Attempted to enlist in Merchants.
Enlistment accepted.
Commissioned during first term of service.
Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.
Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.
Mandatory retirement after seventh term.

Nary a promotion in sight, but look at those stats!

I also managed to roll up a General who was denied re-enlistment after his fifth term. I know it can be spun to make sense, but it's interesting to see a character get promotion every term and then fail re-enlistment.

dmccoy1693 wrote:I'll be running a few games at TravellerCon come October.

Oh, cool. I'll be attending for the first time.
The Dark
Troll

Postby BlackBat242 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:48 am

The Dark wrote:

However, unless you have access to a time machine...

This thread is a "zombie thread" from 2014 - the post you quoted was from 30 April 2014!
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby The Dark » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:53 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
The Dark wrote:

However, unless you have access to a time machine...

This thread is a "zombie thread" from 2014 - the post you quoted was from 30 April 2014!
Sonuva...I only saw the date on the post directly above mine, and didn't check the others.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Man in the Funny Hat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:50 am

Since the thread is walking around... I will say that I've been at least CONTEMPLATING diving into classic Traveller (which I've barely ever actually looked at and haven't played in a good 35 years) and running a Firefly-esque game. My current 1E D&D game would have to die for that to ever happen though so it's unlikely. But I've been contemplating it anyway...
Man in the Funny Hat
Hobgoblin

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:46 pm

I broke out a few CT books & opened a few CT odts (Open Office version of Word documents) last week and discovered that I'd already written up outlines for a few CT campaigns.

In one, i attempt to break down the introductory "Imperial Fringe" adventure (Adventure 0, I believe) and add a lot of meat to it with NPC stats & what-ifs, as well as details on the city (and planet) of Regina, animal encounters, and possible starships for sale or mustering out benefit give-aways.

This one is fairly straight-forward and about the most common form of Classic Traveller campaigning, IMO. It is designed to string together any & all of GDW/JG published adventures, as well as anything else the referee can cobble together. The basic problem of Traveller adventures still remains: the ref must flesh it all out, or be forced to ad-lib the adventure while running straight out of the adventure booklet. It really helps to have a few encounters written up ahead of time (not just a string of UPPs and skills...) to help the adventure outline flow smoothly.

In another that I titled "Plague Sector", I outline an entire campaign setting that may never leave the system in which it is set. The "plague" turns out to be an excuse for me to set up a Gamma World, Paranoia and Buck Rogers XXVc campaign all in one star system where jump drive technology has been removed by Imperial agents in order to prevent anyone from spreading Gamma Terran mutations throughout the Imperium.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced certain odts that have specific mutant PC rules for Gamma World or Metamorphosis Alpha in Classic Traveller character format. Thankfully, there are only a handful of folders I have to look through, so I am confidant that I will find them, eventually. ;)

If I could convert GW/MA/PAR/BRXXVc material on the fly, I'd have a ton of material ready for game time, and enough of it to run a semi-daily/weekly session 20 year (in real time) campaign. One thing that does help is having a ready knowledge of each game's basic mechanics & stat ranges so I can eyeball a critter from GW and then roll 2D in CT mechanics to resolve actions. :D
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Return to Traveller