[Idea] City on top of Dyson Sphere?

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.

[Idea] City on top of Dyson Sphere?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:28 am

This isn't strictly Traveller, but a thought popped into my earlier. Practicality aside, I thought that maybe a Dyson Sphere could be created in space on a very small scale, on the planetary size. The inside is where a continuous ever present power source fuels energy needs. The top side is like a giant planetary spaceport and sealed city; I was thinking something along the lines of Coruscant like with airlocks for vehicles and various species to enter/exit the habitable insides of the city.

Thoughts?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Idea] City on top of Dyson Sphere?

Postby The Dark » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 am

Power will be relatively low - Jupiter emits around 4x10^17 watts, compared to 3.85x10^26 watts for Sol. Current average power consumption on Earth is around 1.5x10^13 watts, so you're talking about power generation about 25,000 times what we currently produce on Earth, as opposed to 2,500,000,000,000 times for a Solar Dyson Sphere.
The Dark
Ogre

Re: [Idea] City on top of Dyson Sphere?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:10 am

The Dark wrote:...so you're talking about power generation about 25,000 times what we currently produce on Earth...
So would that be enough to power a planetary sized dyson?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Traveller